PDA

View Full Version : So... Memory leak

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/

So, a very large portion of the tournament bug (and probably a lot more by the looks of that post) comes down to the memory leak in middleware. Now, this leads me to a very simple question - was this middleware at all related to the massive amount of memory leak in the client itself?

I would love a dev response on this, because many, many players have reported memory leak in the client, and if this fix would impact the client in a positive way, it would be an absolute godsend. So are the two connected? It is a long shot of course, because it sounds to me like the middleware only handles the information moving between servers, but any confirmation would be nice.

So - will this upcoming fix have a ripple effect into our clients, or will that memory leak have to be fixed at a different time?

AswanJaguar
05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Given that they said the issue wasn't in their own code and the middleware is only running on the servers, it's pretty safe to say any previous/current memory leaks in the client are unrelated to what they're addressing right now.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Given that they said the issue wasn't in their own code and the middleware is only running on the servers, it's pretty safe to say any previous/current memory leaks in the client are unrelated to what they're addressing right now.

Well, we have no idea how long it has been used, or what other purposes it served, so I figured asking wouldn't hurt. My gut says they are completely separate, but the memory leak issue hasn't been addressed officially before to my knowledge, so asking now seemed like a good time since it is a hot button issue for the devs right now.

the_artic_one
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I never noticed any memory leak behavior in hex (memory usage increasing over time) just poor memory optimization. Though I didn't carefully watch memory usage so I won't discount there was one. I just mentioned this because people often confuse the two.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Well, we have no idea how long it has been used, or what other purposes it served

It says it's related to new middleware, by which I take to mean new with Beta. Which is why the problem wasn't spotted in Alpha.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Xen - definitely 2 completely independent issues. the_artic_one is spot on - the client just isn't optimized very well. If there's any leak in the client it's pretty trivial since I've been able to run it 24+ hours at a time without issue.

mach
05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Xen - definitely 2 completely independent issues. the_artic_one is spot on - the client just isn't optimized very well. If there's any leak in the client it's pretty trivial since I've been able to run it 24+ hours at a time without issue.

It could also be conditional, so it would only affect some users.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
It could also be conditional, so it would only affect some users.

Agreed. But we haven't heard any reports of people playing for a while and having the client crash on them, or their computer warn them about memory issues as far as I'm aware.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Well, the difference is fairly minor in some cases (like in Skyrim - I would regularly crash, while my friend would have minor graphical issues and much, much rarer crashes, none of which I could say were memory leak - more often it seemed like a mod conflict) - and I have noticed some severe drops in the Hex client stability over a long period of playing (12+ hours it is usually in dire need of a restart, at 4-5 hours it is usually already acting up.) My PC isn't great, but it isn't terrible either.

It could be poor optimisation, but I do see my RAM usage increase slowly over time until it seems to level out at about ~3GB constant, and my CPU spikes from 30% to 70-80% during certain events. So it could be a mixture of things causing me trouble, but I know I am not the only one, not by far. Would be nice to see something done about it sometime soon - I would honestly find that fairly high on the list of needed fixes, but as long as it happens before launch I am happy.

ossuary
05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Agreed. But we haven't heard any reports of people playing for a while and having the client crash on them, or their computer warn them about memory issues as far as I'm aware.

Other than me, on four different machines, on 2 different OSes. Which I reported more than once during the alpha. :)

Also, general conditions to reproduce. The leak appears to originate from or be based on image loading and unloading... lots of scrolling and zooming, especially over a short period of time, shows a big spike in memory usage which doesn't decrease as one would expect. It's especially noticeable on machines with integrated graphics cards, though it's not as bad with the new card manager as it used to be (but still there).

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Other than me, on four different machines, on 2 different OSes. Which I reported more than once during the alpha. :)

Also, general conditions to reproduce. The leak appears to originate from or be based on image loading and unloading... lots of scrolling and zooming, especially over a short period of time, shows a big spike in memory usage which doesn't decrease as one would expect. It's especially noticeable on machines with integrated graphics cards, though it's not as bad with the new card manager as it used to be (but still there).

Well I have an average rig (4gb ram, 1gb VRAM, 3.0ghz Dual core) and even I feel the effects somewhat, so I am not at all surprised that an integrated card with lower ram would suffer crashes etc.

I do notice a lot more issues in the card manager (since I tend not to need to zoom in games.)

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Ignore me... I can't read...

Arbiter
05-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Will they be extending new weekly tickets? I only was able to get on after the tourney server went down, so I missed the ticket extensions. My first is due to expire on the 7th and if I can't access it over the weekend it would be nice to have it extended.

As a side note, are the dates on the tickets local time (Australian for me), US time or server time (Germany, right?). It would be nice to have this clarified.

Voormas
05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Arbiter the time you see on your tickets is based on your computers system time - if you change the time-zone it changes appropriately (I checked this out last week :))

Edit: also I wish I had thought ahead and held off redeeming my free draft thing until further into the weekend - that way I could have lined it up so that I could do twice as much drafting during the GenCon weekend :D

Vorpal
05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm honestly kind of glad the tournament problem turned out to be a middleware memory leak and not a bug inside the hex code. I guess it means our beta was more stable than we previously thought, we just didn't know it. I would have been sad if old tournament bugs had resurfaced.

I also wonder if this memory leak would ever have been discovered without all the flood of people coming in to claim their KS rewards. If this is the same middleware stuff they have been using and current tester load didn't cause the memory leak to get bad enough to close down the servers, it is doubtful.

the next question is...is there a fix for the memory leak in that middleware or will they have to change to different middleware? If they plan to have everything up on Monday I imagine there is a known fix/workaround.

Poetic
05-02-2014, 08:14 PM
They didn't say anything about having it up Monday. Said they would give us an update on Tuesday the latest. My guess would be they want to test what they did a couple days before unleashing everyone onto it.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm honestly kind of glad the tournament problem turned out to be a middleware memory leak and not a bug inside the hex code. I guess it means our beta was more stable than we previously thought, we just didn't know it. I would have been sad if old tournament bugs had resurfaced.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I found out.

Dichdude
05-02-2014, 10:11 PM

I must be getting old and a bit jaded as what came to my mind was - We haven't got to test the Beta tournament code yet; I really hope it doesn't fall over when it goes live after all this.

I think I need a break from Hex for a little while and come back when i feel more upbeat....

Deathfog
05-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Hopefully by Tuesday we at least have a shot at some serious server crushing mass drafts. Something else might break before or during this mad rush, but at least we'll give it a chance.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Hopefully by Tuesday we at least have a shot at some serious server crushing mass drafts. Something else might break before or during this mad rush, but at least we'll give it a chance.

Maybe even before. "Tuesday at the latest" for an update is a good sign. :) Especially when they've been so reluctant to give us any timing recently.

Kardh
05-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Aye, this was a welcome update indeed as it sounds like it comes from a completely worn out developer :)

I've been that guy that have been slaving over similar issues. You go through your code and find it does what it should so you'll start looking at the surroundings. When project management comes and asked "When will you deliver the fix?!?!" the only fair answer you can give is "I have no idea". You're now in uncharted territory, and might not even have access to the code you need to fix.

My last bug in that category took me nearly 6 weeks and a trip to Italy to sort out, so 2 weeks isn't so bad :)