PDA

View Full Version : DC deck building game discard pile inquery

Sandoval
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Ok, one of my faithful group of gamers was playing a defensive card from an attack. I believe it was Skeets from the new HU set. Used as a defense, this gave her the option to either gain a hero from her discard pile and put it into her hand or draw a card. She chose to get a hero from her discard pile and put it into her hand. Some one at the table asked what hero she got and she argued that since the card said nothing in regard to revealing her selection that she should be allowed to keep it secret to protect her strategy for her next turn.

We ultimately decided on a rule for the situation and agreed to find an official ruling for further play.

So, is someone's selection from their discard pile public knowledge? The rules state that the discard pile is always face up but are someone's selections public? Can any player examine your discard pile at any time? If they can't remember what you purchased or played are they out of luck on knowing your selection or do they have a right to demand you reveal your selection?

Matt_Hyra
05-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Players' discard piles are public and you can examine anyone's discard pile. You can't hide the cards in there and you can't hide what you are taking out of it.
Main reason: You have to show the card you took, so everyone knows it's a Hero card and not Teleportation.

IAmTheGreat
05-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Your friend sounds like the type of person who would criticize a spelling mistake on a suicide note.

atheist4thecause
05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Similar to Sandoval's situation but not quite the same, Shazam does not say that the card taken off the main deck must be revealed. If you put it in the discard pile I know it becomes public knowledge, but if it goes on top of your deck then that is not public knowledge so the card would not need to be revealed, correct? This actually matters quite a bit sometimes, especially if Shazam gets Kyle Raynor or Power Rings off the top.

Matt_Hyra
05-03-2014, 03:47 PM
In this game, you do not have to show it. In a game like LOTR, you do have to show it, as it could be a Fortune. However, most players show them to gloat.