PDA

View Full Version : Size of sets

Saeijou
05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I was curious, how big the sets will be... i didn't found an answer so far (or justed picked the wrong search words :/ )

Does anyone know how big the sets will be?

I mean 4 per year... that will be a lot, if every set would be 350 ^^

Cotton
05-02-2014, 08:17 PM
First set of a block is usually large (350 cards) while sets 2,3 of the block usually contain around 150-200

Saeijou
05-02-2014, 09:50 PM
was that anounced somewhere? that will be many cards! how should i collect all these cards??? i will be poor :P

Ravenclaw
05-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Good question, i mean to know that Cory said something like, that Set 2 is big as Set 1, but I'm not sure.

Another question is, if HEX release blocks like MTG or they make every Set a little unique, but I hope that the Sets will not always as large as Set 1, because I want a as many cards from a Set as possible. :)

BlackRoger
05-03-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm pretty sure it was said this first set will be unusually large, since it's the first, so not many sets afterwards will be as big.
So no, I don't think set 2 will be as big as set 1.

zadies
05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't think set 2 will be as large as set 1 but there were indications that it would be larger then the forth coming sets because it needed to flesh out the other four races the rest of the way.

TJTaylor
05-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I distinctly remember Cory saying set 2 would be about as large as set 1. I can't remember where that info came from though.

If only Shadowelf would come to the rescue.

Xenavire
05-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I don't need Shadowelf to tell you that it will be around ~150-250 cards, and nowhere near the 350ish of set 1, and that has been officially confirmed multiple times. I have no idea where this 'Set 2 will be as big as set 1" idea came from, because I have watched every stream and kept up to date on everything possible.

TJTaylor
05-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't need Shadowelf to tell you that it will be around ~150-250 cards, and nowhere near the 350ish of set 1, and that has been officially confirmed multiple times. I have no idea where this 'Set 2 will be as big as set 1" idea came from, because I have watched every stream and kept up to date on everything possible.

It is certainly possible I am having a false memory.

Xenavire
05-03-2014, 05:03 PM
It is certainly possible I am having a false memory.

Well, I am 99% sure, so there is obviously a chance I am wrong. Also, I might have been a little abrasive with that post, so sorry (I wasn't meaning to be aggressive or anything when posting, but re-reading it, it seems rather harsh.)

DanTheMeek
05-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I want to say it was in one of the video interviews Corey did, it surprised me at the time which is why I also remember him saying set 2 would be about the size of set 1, but I don't remember the exact interview. As has been noted, the reasoning is probably that set 1 only covered half of the 8 main races, so I'm guessing they want set 2 to cover the other half just as thoroughly. I would assume, though, that set sizes will decrease from set 3 onward as they would have a strong foundation for all the primary races and themes.

Having said that, things change all the time, cards currently slated for set 2 could easily get pushed back to set 3 to make it smaller, so no real guarantees yet what the size will be. But again, I do recall Corey stating set 2 would be big, and I believe it was "fairly" recently as well, cause again, it surprised me at the time because I had previously been under the impression all sets post set 1 would be small.

ossuary
05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
The other 4 races aren't going to get major focus until Set 3. That's been confirmed for quite some time. Set 2 will have further fleshing out of the 4 we've already seen, with additional minor fleshing out to the alternate 4, the same as Set 1.

DanTheMeek
05-03-2014, 08:46 PM
The other 4 races aren't going to get major focus until Set 3. That's been confirmed for quite some time. Set 2 will have further fleshing out of the 4 we've already seen, with additional minor fleshing out to the alternate 4, the same as Set 1.
Good grief, where are all these "confirmations" coming from, I know I don't frequent the forums or all streams and interviews or the in-game chat or twitter as much as some people but lately it feels like everything I remember hearing in interviews or reading on the forums has been "confirmed" to be the opposite of what I originally heard, and apparently was for some time. I remember when the kickstarter was going on we had a single thread dedicated to confirmed info, be nice if some one who did keep up on all this stuff would start a new one of those and link sources to avoid mis-information being passed do to being old or poor memory. I pride myself in my honesty so I'd hate to mislead some one just because my information was out of date...

This actually seems like a significantly big revelation too, I was really looking forward to checking out the other for races when set 2 landed, so I both have no idea how I missed this, and why such a significant change was made. Any chance you can link me, I'd hate to ask questions that were already answered when this was first announced, but this is such a confusing decision and personal let down I really would love to hear why the decision was made to hold back the other races another set.

hex_colin
05-04-2014, 07:52 AM

This ^ has certainly been my experience from the Set 2 cards I've seen - an expansion of the current races, filling in key gaps for cards that are needed for particular deck archetypes, and some resource/threshold/charge stuff. Well, and the usual stuff you'd expect to see including new keywords, etc.

ossuary
05-04-2014, 08:41 AM
This actually seems like a significantly big revelation too, I was really looking forward to checking out the other for races when set 2 landed, so I both have no idea how I missed this, and why such a significant change was made.

It's not news, it wasn't changed. This was always the plan.

Bells
05-04-2014, 11:46 AM
i dunno about you guys... i know they have a defined set release and it makes sense and all... but at least early on i would love to see them holding back on set 2 just so we can all get used with the game mechanics, build a meta, get to know the cards and the game...

Like... if the wait before set 1 to 2 was just... 2 months longer than it is schedule to be right now... and then everything goes back to schedule... i would actually prefer that. So we don't get swarmed in with ''the latest'' collection all the time right of the gate and people start to rethink their entire gameplan after just barely getting around to learn how to play the game... specially if we want to welcome new players how might only know ABOUT hex after launch...

halfwing
05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I think I remember them saying set 2 was going to be bigger then normal, but not as large as set 1?

I'm expecting 250ish cards, with most sets having 150-200.

Its possible Set 2 might be an extra core set, to account for how small the cardpool currently is, with set 2 being the 'first' core set, and set 1 just being a base of staples to build off of?

As people have noted, only about half the races are properly represented currently, and it being a fresh game it kinda makes sense to try and hit the ground running, and then stabilizing to a more reasonable pace once blocks start filtering out.

FlyingMeatchip
05-04-2014, 01:01 PM
What are the other races?

Xenavire
05-04-2014, 01:03 PM
What are the other races?

We have Human/Dwarf/Orc/Shin'Hare. We will end up getting a set that is more focused on Vennen, Necrotic, Coyotle, and Elves.

FlyingMeatchip
05-04-2014, 01:30 PM
I feel dumb....I was actually hoping for some surprise races......

Xenavire
05-04-2014, 01:34 PM
I feel dumb....I was actually hoping for some surprise races......

well, there might be some of those, outside of the ardent and underworld factions. Just because those 4 will be in the spotlight doesn't mean others come be shown off at the same time. :p

Imagine a horde of aquatic fishmen that worhship the kraken as their god. :D

ossuary
05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
As long as they don't scream "Muurgh!" when they attack you, I'm fine with that. :p

Xenavire
05-04-2014, 02:32 PM
As long as they don't scream "Muurgh!" when they attack you, I'm fine with that. :p

Yeah, the novelty wore off a loooong time ago. Lets just put ball-gags in their mouths.

But I was thinking a little closer to mer-people, or aquaman. :D

BlackRoger
05-04-2014, 02:48 PM
As long as it's a new take on the sea people idea, I mean MTG already has merfolk.
Let's make them FrogFolk, or sentient octopuses!

Xenavire
05-04-2014, 03:08 PM
sentient octopuses!

Minions of the kraken... I like it!