PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone successfully played Hex on a Linux setup with Wine?

Godofrandomness
05-03-2014, 09:51 PM
I might be the only one crazy enough to try doing this now, but I was wondering if anyone was successful so far.

Thucar
05-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I might be the only one crazy enough to try doing this now, but I was wondering if anyone was successful so far.

I'm running a dual-boot setup Win7/Ubuntu. I have Hex installed on the Windows partition, but it runs just fine under Linux as well. Just run the executable with wine.

Godofrandomness
05-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I have been trying. The installer ran fine, but when I try to run the patcher, I get this error in the text box saying "Could not resolve host: origin.dl.hex.gameforge.com". It's like the system cannot connect to the server or something.

Thucar
05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes, patching does not seem to work under Linux. So if you have access to a Windows machine, you can install the game on it and then just copy the patched up game files on to your Linux box. Should run just fine. However, every time there is a new patch, you will need to use the help of a Windows machine again.

Steglin
05-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Both with wine and another wine emulator.

I suggest you install playonlinux and install HEX through that.
It works like a charm, and the patcher works flawlessly.

Godofrandomness
05-06-2014, 12:15 AM
I tried copying over from the install on my windows laptop already, with the same error. I will give PlayOnLinux a shot. I haven't had high hopes for this working since I started since it's Ubuntu installed on a chromebook, but we will see what happens.

Fred
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I've been playing under with wine on Ubuntu (12.04 then, 14.04 now) since early alpha, and only had minor issues. During a couple of weeks in the winter, I couldn't get past the login screen, but that has since been fixed, and I haven't experienced any wine-related problems in weeks.

CrimsonSoul
05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Both with wine and another wine emulator.

I suggest you install playonlinux and install HEX through that.
It works like a charm, and the patcher works flawlessly.
How'd you get sound to work? I have a wireless logitech headset and my sound isn't working (patcher and everything works though)

CrimsonSoul
05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
nm I got it, I had to add my hdmi displayport audio to the blacklist

Wolfe
05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
I have been trying. The installer ran fine, but when I try to run the patcher, I get this error in the text box saying "Could not resolve host: origin.dl.hex.gameforge.com". It's like the system cannot connect to the server or something.

I haven't tried running Hex in wine yet, but that sounds like it may just be a DNS resolution problem. WineHQ says:

Many distributions don't provide all the 32-bit compatibility libraries that wine needs. In this case, wine needs 32-bit DNS libraries. On Ubuntu/Debian, this package is lib32nss-mdns. To install it on those OSes, use ...

Check out:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
Section 10.16. Why doesn't DNS resolve in 64-bit operating systems?

Hope that helps! I might have a look at running it in wine myself this weekend.

Godofrandomness
05-08-2014, 12:31 AM
I haven't tried running Hex in wine yet, but that sounds like it may just be a DNS resolution problem. WineHQ says:

Check out:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
Section 10.16. Why doesn't DNS resolve in 64-bit operating systems?

Hope that helps! I might have a look at running it in wine myself this weekend.

I tried that but still no change. I even went and edited the hosts file as listed in WineHQ's faq, but nothing. I'm noticing Steam is having weird connection issues too, so there might be something up with the install. I am going to try reinstalling Ubuntu and see if that helps.

Thanks guys for the so far :-)

Godofrandomness
05-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Well, messing with various distros and yada yada yada, I have been able to get into Hex routinely now. The patch notes still won't load, and I am not sure what to do about that, but the patcher still patches anyway, and the game runs mostly fine. It did crash during a draft, so I will probably leave tournaments to my PC setup.

Thepsis
05-11-2014, 02:17 PM
for me the patcher hangs on the file draw_three_cards_and_the_discard_3cards

dwebber88
05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
For me its running just fine under wine (any version, 32-bit).

But while having a Radeon R9 290, the game feels really slow, and looks pixelated.

I have not yet gotten it to work on directx.

Anyone who's got a fully working wine install?

Hypro
01-07-2015, 11:12 AM
does anyone know how i can download and play Hex on a chromebook?