PDA

View Full Version : Primals : open or sell?

maniza
05-03-2014, 10:50 PM
i have a few primals left and honestly i have most the cards i want exept for some verry especific legendaries so im thinking i might be able to trade for those.

my question is shud i open my primal packs or shud i sell them on the ah once its live? and how much shud i ask for them?

i feel like every primal i open so far has been at least 20 bucks so im wondering if its better to open them to trade or just sell and get the plat to buy the singles i need of the ah. i have little experience in trading so i would like to hear more experienced advice.

YourOpponent
05-03-2014, 11:28 PM
I would either sell the primal, save it in case they do something crazy like a primal draft and I would keep one for the sake of saying you have a set 1 primal years from now :)

Personally I'm very tempted to exchange some packs of cards for primals because 3 primals just doesn't feel enough and wanting at least 4 total. (3 to draft with as a guild event sometime or otherwise) and one to keep.

Zomnivore
05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Set 1 I say its close to a toss up, but honestly, people have been opening a lot so maybe they'll still be rare.

Still set 1 legendaries/rares are still going to be devalued.

If you were to ever open a primal set 1 is deff the one to do it.

sukebe
05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
well, since you only need a few specific legenaries I would save them to trade/sell when that option becomes available. As for the primal draft, CZE (or one of their many employees) said they did not think that was a good idea/format so I wouldnt hold my breath for that :-)

Arbiter
05-04-2014, 01:35 AM
A draft with no commons/uncommons would not be fun or balanced. Key sets of cards like take downs are not in equal quantity across the rarities, nor should they be. If people want to do it, that is fine, but I wouldn't be telling people they should save their primals for drafts, they are far better opened and used to build constructed decks faster (through opening key cards and trading), I think that is where people will get most of their fun from primals.

nekoangel
05-04-2014, 04:34 AM
im saving mine but the temptation is there trust me. also only got 4 packs in 355 boosters.

ive had 0 angels in over 200 packs and loads of junk legendary cards, had 3 Resurrection and on the better side 6 pack raptor ( i have 4 AA raptors though )

Chiany
05-04-2014, 07:57 AM
im saving mine but the temptation is there trust me. also only got 4 packs in 355 boosters.

ive had 0 angels in over 200 packs and loads of junk legendary cards, had 3 Resurrection and on the better side 6 pack raptor ( i have 4 AA raptors though )

It took me about 750 boosters + 19 Primals to get to 4 Angels.
But the one that really takes the cake for me is Gawain.
Out of all those boosters, I only got 2....

nicosharp
05-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Wow Chiany, you opened a lot of packs. Did you stack kings?

On topic: I'd say open your primals for many reasons.

You have a very good chance to roll your legendary guaranteed chest for a primal chest.
You get 2 guaranteed Legendary cards.
They probably will not sell for more than $15 in plat. (assumption). (which would not be as valuable as the contents)
It's an instant boost to your high end power collection

Rendakor
05-04-2014, 08:51 AM
If they wanted to do a Primal draft and have it work, it should be 1 Primal and 2 regular packs per person.

Chiany
05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Wow Chiany, you opened a lot of packs. Did you stack kings?

No, I wish I did ;)

I just used the boosters of my 4 pledges: GK & PP & 2 * Collector.

BossHoss
05-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I recommend NOT opening them until a CZE "event" weekend is announced (GenCon 2014). It is confirmed that loot tables of the chests are going to be marked during event times for people that cannot make it in person but still have an opportunity to roll loot and acquire the same promos as being there in person. Saving your primal packs will GUARANTEE a legendary chest and the best opportunity to contain the chase promos from those events.

nicosharp
05-04-2014, 09:22 AM
No, I wish I did ;)

I just used the boosters of my 4 pledges: GK & PP & 2 * Collector.
Nice, that is almost 3 full sets of the AA cards.

nicosharp
05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I recommend NOT opening them until a CZE "event" weekend is announced (GenCon 2014). It is confirmed that loot tables of the chests are going to be marked during event times for people that cannot make it in person but still have an opportunity to roll loot and acquire the same promos as being there in person. Saving your primal packs will GUARANTEE a legendary chest and the best opportunity to contain the chase promos from those events.
Good tip, i'll do that on my other account.
Would be nice if they just marked all activities during an event as being under that loot table, like opening chests and rolling on chests.

maniza
05-04-2014, 11:19 AM

seems like the smart thing to do but the wait is goin to kill me

hex_colin
05-04-2014, 11:21 AM
seems like the smart thing to do but the wait is goin to kill me

It's only 100 days!!! :)

Chance
05-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Or hold on to them and sell at that time for exorbnt fees so you can wath your plat grow into the billions

YourOpponent
05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Good tip, i'll do that on my other account.
Would be nice if they just marked all activities during an event as being under that loot table, like opening chests and rolling on chests.

But the thing is with the current system people that don't even have an account right now can still open the event chests when the event is over for a chance on that loot.

maniza
05-04-2014, 12:53 PM

yea that is not helping...

nicosharp
05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
But the thing is with the current system people that don't even have an account right now can still open the event chests when the event is over for a chance on that loot.

That just increases the value of chests other people want to sell.. When they could just as easily sell contents obtained from chests. It seems like a catch 22.

Hieronymous
05-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Isn't there good reason to suspect we'll be in Set 2 by then anyway?

AS to primal draft tournaments I think we'd have to have a much larger userbase to make that feasible. Primal packs are relatively rare, the number of people willing to draft with them even smaller.

Yoss
05-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I opened all my Primals. The only reasons to save them are if you don't play constructed (in any form, including casual) or would be for event rewards (GenCon). If the former, you sell the Primal at AH for Plat to enter Limited. If the latter, consider that Primal is not the only way to get the rewards, so there's an opportunity cost of sitting on your unused inventory while you wait for the event. I decided that I'll just crack regular packs during the event in order to get my rewards. Meanwhile, my collection for constructed is immediately playable rather than crap. (Note: I've saved 100% of my normal boosters for Limited.)

sukebe
05-04-2014, 04:12 PM

This is a very good reason to save the primals. Had I know gencon was so soon (august 14-17) I would have saved mine most likely. I do however plan to take part in the Pro Player tournament so having a good selection of rares/legendaries to build with and trade is fairly important as well.

Chances are good I would have ended up opening them anyway, I have terrible willpower :-)

Skirovik
05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
I thought that event rewards from chests were based on when you opened the chest, not when you received the chest (via opening the booster pack).

sukebe
05-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I thought that event rewards from chests were based on when you opened the chest, not when you received the chest (via opening the booster pack).

Yes and no. As was mentioned above, it works like this:

When you get a chest from opening a pack it is given a specific loot table. Generally, this will be the generic loot table (modified by rarity of the chest) but if you opened your pack during a special event the chest will be given a different, promotional loot table. This promo loot table will include all the special items from that event as possible rewards.

When you open your chest it will "roll" on its loot table to determine what item or items you get.

nickon
05-05-2014, 02:05 AM
If the latter, consider that Primal is not the only way to get the rewards, so there's an opportunity cost of sitting on your unused inventory while you wait for the event. I decided that I'll just crack regular packs during the event in order to get my rewards. Meanwhile, my collection for constructed is immediately playable rather than crap. (Note: I've saved 100% of my normal boosters for Limited.)

I planned on keeping my Primal for opening during GenCon as well, but was so focused on opening Primals during that period that I almost forgot that we can open regular boosters as well for creating those GenCon chests! :D

Two questions related to that though:

1) Regular packs also always come with a chest (common, uncommon, rare, legendary?), and will be labeled as "event chests" if you opened them during a specific event (e.g. GenCon). I assume we will just as well be able to upgrade these chests by rolling them, for example from a "Common GenCon chest" to "Legendary / Primal GenCon chest"? Do we know already for sure that this would increase our chances of dropping the GenCon exclusives specifcally or not?

2) For the event specific loot, it doesn't matter from which set the boosters you're cracking are from. Event specific loot will simply be appended to the original loot table? For example, a Set X booster will have a "Set X loot table + GenCon loot table".

Bells
05-05-2014, 04:58 AM
I guess that if Event loot is added as a new table of possible content alongside whatever is in the boosters then as a separate table, technically, it doesn't matter if your booster is primal or not... no!?

I mean... it's ''event loot'' as in, the special loot for that event... they are not breakdown to rarity, are they?

We have to understand how event loot is broken down... if you get a separate table that is just all the viable loot for that event, or if you get event items added to the rarity table of regular loot as possibilities.

Hieronymous
05-05-2014, 05:01 AM
I opened all my Primals. The only reasons to save them are if you don't play constructed (in any form, including casual) or would be for event rewards (GenCon). If the former, you sell the Primal at AH for Plat to enter Limited. If the latter, consider that Primal is not the only way to get the rewards, so there's an opportunity cost of sitting on your unused inventory while you wait for the event. I decided that I'll just crack regular packs during the event in order to get my rewards. Meanwhile, my collection for constructed is immediately playable rather than crap. (Note: I've saved 100% of my normal boosters for Limited.)

Given that GenCon is slightly more than three months away, it seems relatively possible that we'll have set 2 before then anyway. Holding primals that long seems like a waste.

RoaRawR
05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
open primals, trade legendaries that I get for unopen primals = profit. I am cursed with drawing vampire kings anyway (have 18 now wohoo!)

nickon
05-05-2014, 05:50 AM
How can you call that cursed :D It's an awesome card! I would love to hit VK in my primal pack.
Will keep in mind that you have a stockpile of vampire kings though ;)

Yoss
05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
I planned on keeping my Primal for opening during GenCon as well, but was so focused on opening Primals during that period that I almost forgot that we can open regular boosters as well for creating those GenCon chests! :D

Two questions related to that though:

1) Regular packs also always come with a chest (common, uncommon, rare, legendary?), and will be labeled as "event chests" if you opened them during a specific event (e.g. GenCon). I assume we will just as well be able to upgrade these chests by rolling them, for example from a "Common GenCon chest" to "Legendary / Primal GenCon chest"? Do we know already for sure that this would increase our chances of dropping the GenCon exclusives specifcally or not?
This sounds right. We know that non-event chests that are spun/upgraded during the event will not become event chests. The reverse logic should apply, though it is not confirmed. Meaning, an event chest should remain an event chest through the Wheels process and should keep the tag when upgraded.

2) For the event specific loot, it doesn't matter from which set the boosters you're cracking are from. Event specific loot will simply be appended to the original loot table? For example, a Set X booster will have a "Set X loot table + GenCon loot table".
It will work for all chests that come from boosters, regardless of Set. We don't know the exact way in which the loot table will change.

Zomnivore
05-05-2014, 09:27 AM
I just plan on buying up a fair few packs, during events.

Set 1 primals...theres just too much incentive to rip em and start getting decks built.