PDA

View Full Version : Flock of Seagulls vs Crush

Zzasikar
05-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I know there is a topic regarding this 4 months or so back but didn't want to necro it. I couldn't find much regarding it since that topic was last responded to.

The previously mentioned topic related to this interaction claimed that Crush damage went over the top of Flock of Seagulls when it was dealt damage (much like Trample). However, today I played Wild Aura after blocks on my troop blocked by Flock of Seagulls in a draft while they were briefly up - pretty much just to experiment. It did NOT deal damage over the top of Flock of Seagulls. All the extra damage was lost.

Apologies if this has been touched on before or has been changed without my knowledge. Just curious as to whether this is the way this interaction is now meant to work.

AswanJaguar
05-06-2014, 03:37 PM
That is how crush and damage prevention currently works. It was changed a couple of months ago. It's one of the few key differences Hex has from Magic.

Xenavire
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM
That is how crush and damage prevention currently works. It was changed a couple of months ago. It's one of the few key differences Hex has from Magic.

It is indeed working as intended, but I want to point out that it was a bug, that got fixed - it was always meant to block crush.

Zzasikar
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Ah, thank you for the quick response folks. I must have missed that.

Sorry for the useless post!

ossuary
05-06-2014, 04:15 PM
No worries, it happens now and then, since we don't have a full-featured rulebook yet. It has indeed always been the intended behavior that Flock of Seagulls prevent Crush damage (it was bugged before, but is now fixed).

WildStyle
05-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Them pesky seagulls :D I really do not like them. :D

hex_colin
05-07-2014, 09:29 AM
It is indeed working as intended, but I want to point out that it was a bug, that got fixed - it was always meant to block crush.

Thanks, Xenavire! Saved me the trouble... ;)

AswanJaguar
05-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. I'm interested to see what other departures from Magic CZE takes in future sets.

Serax
05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I think and this is just my personal opinion but it is the word all in the text of the seagull that makes it result this way.

"Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to this troop."

Edit: To take it one step further think of it this way, Card with 3/2 trample attacks deals the first damage that would normally kill a 0/1 creature, Flock is still alive, creature deals the next 1 point of damage, flock is still alive, so the creature deals the 3rd point of damage, flock is still alive, there is now no more damage to send through as crush.

GatticusFinch
05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
I think and this is just my personal opinion but it is the word all in the text of the seagull that makes it result this way.

"Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to this troop."

Edit: To take it one step further think of it this way, Card with 3/2 trample attacks deals the first damage that would normally kill a 0/1 creature, Flock is still alive, creature deals the next 1 point of damage, flock is still alive, so the creature deals the 3rd point of damage, flock is still alive, there is now no more damage to send through as crush.

The key wording is on Crush--"if a troop would deal more than fatal combat damage..." The use of the word fatal is the key difference, because normally Crush would deal exactly the defense value in damage to each blocker. That amount of damage is not fatal to the Flock, so Crush never procs.

The real question is what would happen if you blocked a Crush troop with flock and another or two other troops. I would assume the Crush troop would deal fatal damage to the other two and then all remaining would be applied to Flock, but since you are allowed to assign combat damage, maybe you could only put 1 on the Flock.

AswanJaguar
05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
The real question is what would happen if you blocked a Crush troop with flock and another or two other troops. I would assume the Crush troop would deal fatal damage to the other two and then all remaining would be applied to Flock, but since you are allowed to assign combat damage, maybe you could only put 1 on the Flock.

It would be odd for someone to block with more than just the Flock but if they did, it would be logical to assume damage would process normally for any troops assigned damage until the Flock is hit, and then all damage would be absorbed. Meaning it would be pointless to assign damage to the Flock before the other creatures if you want them to die.

Note that you don't assign combat damage as the attacker, you assign combat order and the game assigns the damage automatically. Magic changed this years ago and it's the model that Hex uses as well.

Xenavire
05-07-2014, 02:32 PM
It would be odd for someone to block with more than just the Flock

I can think of one important time, and that is when you can block and kill a crush troop that would still crush through enough damage to kill you normally (I think this would usually happen in clinch plays - for example, when an opponent has just dropped a second, larger, crush troop before attacking.)

GatticusFinch
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
I can think of one important time, and that is when you can block and kill a crush troop that would still crush through enough damage to kill you normally (I think this would usually happen in clinch plays - for example, when an opponent has just dropped a second, larger, crush troop before attacking.)

And we may someday get "blocked or becomes blocked" effects.

Fenrus
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Maybe someday we'll get Banding! (hope not)