PDA

View Full Version : Deck Shuffling

htesrepus
05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Is something going to be done about the deck shuffling program? I've put quite a few games under my belt and the decks don't feel like they are being shuffled very well. Opening hands have erratic amounts of mana and after several draws there are larges series of mana and non-mana cards.

ZillahEnoch
05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
The suffling works fine.
You should search for the topics about it. Also there was an article on the site. I'm sure someone less "at work" than me will link them to you. :)

Arminace
05-06-2014, 09:46 PM
I would like to se an animation or icon when it gets shuffled...because sometimes im not sure about it....

AswanJaguar
05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the beta, seth. From the looks of your first two posts, it appears that you're just discovering the game. Check out some of the older threads here that were posted in Alpha, you'll find a lot of discussion on both shuffling and game mechanics like Inspire. The short answers to your questions is that the shuffling algorithm works just fine and Inspire is not overpowered.

Have fun playing and don't forget to use the search feature if you have any questions or concerns! :)

Werlix
05-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Is something going to be done about the deck shuffling program? I've put quite a few games under my belt and the decks don't feel like they are being shuffled very well. Opening hands have erratic amounts of mana and after several draws there are larges series of mana and non-mana cards.

Hey man :)

Check this out https://hextcg.com/randomization/

Voormas
05-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I feel like Arminace might be onto something, a simple animation will give people a different feel and then since this is all confirmation bias there will be fewer complaints that the randomizer doesn't work :D

htesrepus
05-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey man :)

Check this out https://hextcg.com/randomization/

Good link, thanks! I have a "make unfiltered opinions and see how people prove me wrong approach" to forums, I've got some really good feedback on both posts.

Dynimix
05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
RNGs are a tricky thing. They certainly are dependent on the inputs of what is going into algorithmic calculation. When you only have 60 cards (60 indices), we often feel that the randomization is off. Conversely, if you were to play a game and stack your deck to 400 or 500 to provide more input, I do not think the randomization effects would be felt. When you talk about the shards (mana), most people play with around 40%-45% of their deck as resources which equates to 20-25 cards (roughly). That is why you see them abundantly, especially with six draws in the opening hand. I have however, had a few opening hands that did not contain a single resource and have noted that the AI I have played on various occasions have struggled with that as well. I have also drawn 5 or 6 cards in a row without getting one. It is just the randomization...

I work in one of the most secure RNG industries in the world, so I am just throwing my two cents in.....

Werlix
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
RNGs are a tricky thing. They certainly are dependent on the inputs of what is going into algorithmic calculation. When you only have 60 cards (60 indices), we often feel that the randomization is off. Conversely, if you were to play a game and stack your deck to 400 or 500 to provide more input, I do not think the randomization effects would be felt. When you talk about the shards (mana), most people play with around 40%-45% of their deck as resources which equates to 20-25 cards (roughly). That is why you see them abundantly, especially with six draws in the opening hand. I have however, had a few opening hands that did not contain a single resource and have noted that the AI I have played on various occasions have struggled with that as well. I have also drawn 5 or 6 cards in a row without getting one. It is just the randomization...

I work in one of the most secure RNG industries in the world, so I am just throwing my two cents in.....

Just a bit of advice, usually in Hex you will want 24-26 resources in your deck. I often go for 25. You want slightly more than you'd use in MtG because charge powers give you something to do with your excess resources.

Dynimix
05-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Just going on the general consensus of what I have seen in the forums. I have seen some people talk as low as 20 for high risk, high reward. Others go as high as 28. Your advice is valid based on a "sweet spot" for Hex.

Not that I want this to take away from the randomization discussion that we are in.