PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Deck Advice: SB Mill-Archtype

Kami
05-07-2014, 09:27 AM
So as you can see below, that is my current iteration of this deck that I've culled down from well over 110 cards that I liked and would've liked to see work together if it were feasible (it is not). Anyhow, I'm sitting at 67 cards and my inexperience with deck building has me stumped as to how I should adjust the quantities (or even replace cards).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Temporary/Eraser.jpg (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Temporary/Eraser.jpg)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Temporary/Eraser%20Text.jpg (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Temporary/Eraser%20Text.jpg)
Essentially, the idea is to stall/defend while gradually eliminating cards from their library. Cards like Curse of Oblivion are great for eliminating future threats at low cost. Extinction as a panic. Some removal, some bounce, and a lot of synergistic mill cards. You'll also notice I opted for more passive mill cards such as Twisted Fate and Incantation of Fear (which doubles as a big troop later).

I'm not entirely sure how to optimize this deck at this point. I feel I'm close but not quite there.

BRonIsBoss
05-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I'd cut Buccaneer, replacing with 2 more murders. I don't think stalling is really the right approach, you need to be disrupting the big threats and gunning for the win as quickly as possible in a traditional mill, killing their big threats with 1 for 1 removal. The dreamer would be another card to consider cutting. While in a vacuum it's arguably the best card in the deck, relying on dealing damage for one card doesn't strike me as very synergistic. Maybe I'm missing something though.

If you want more of a control approach I'd go for a BS mill/draw deck, which seems more in line with your line of thinking, I'd still remove the bucaneer, dreamer and corpse fly for additional removal and draw. 4 extinctions and murders are a must IMO

Kami
05-07-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd cut Buccaneer, replacing with 2 more murders. I don't think stalling is really the right approach, you need to be disrupting the big threats and gunning for the win as quickly as possible in a traditional mill, killing their big threats with 1 for 1 removal. The dreamer would be another card to consider cutting. While in a vacuum it's arguably the best card in the deck, relying on dealing damage for one card doesn't strike me as very synergistic. Maybe I'm missing something though.

The thing with Buccaneer is that it delays their attack by two turns (provided no Speed) and it puts a chump on my side at worst. Murder removes a threat but leave nothing for me for the future and it doesn't help against artifacts. As for Eldritch Dreamer, I added the deck list as text above. The gem is what makes it shine, six cards on entering and unblockable as well as it's ability to be a chump at worst.

If you want more of a control approach I'd go for a BS mill/draw deck, which seems more in line with your line of thinking, I'd still remove the bucaneer, dreamer and corpse fly for additional removal and draw. 4 extinctions and murders are a must IMO

Part of me agrees but another part of me has tried this in the past and it tends to get over-run. If they have a lot of 1/1, 2/2, in the early game, you'd be taking hits until you can manage to pull off enough murders/extinctions. Not to mention extinction harms you as well.

rjselzler
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Here's what I would run if I were to give BS mill a go:
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=6372&color=B&color=S

BRonIsBoss
05-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Oh I see. I didn't realize that was the gem you had. I still think your better switching creatures for removal or milling though. When building a deck every card mud serve a purpose, and delaying a creature for a turn/slowing tempo is good for an aggressive deck, but doesn't have a place in controlish decks. You need permanent answers, like extinction and murder. I like the list posted above, and would prefer mesmerize to buccaneer fire what your deck is trying to accomplish. Uruunaz is the best in a mill deck like yours, even if you only get 20 cards in the graveyard, you'll likely have some big nasties to choose from

Kami
05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Oh I see. I didn't realize that was the gem you had. I still think your better switching creatures for removal or milling though. When building a deck every card mud serve a purpose, and delaying a creature for a turn/slowing tempo is good for an aggressive deck, but doesn't have a place in controlish decks. You need permanent answers, like extinction and murder. I like the list posted above, and would prefer mesmerize to buccaneer fire what your deck is trying to accomplish. Uruunaz is the best in a mill deck like yours, even if you only get 20 cards in the graveyard, you'll likely have some big nasties to choose from

I may not be right in thinking this but this is my current reasoning: Buccaneer has high utility. Bouncing cards has an advantage over Mesmerize due to the fact that it requires them to spend resources again another turn instead of casting something else. Like I said, it's also a troop that can take a hit and deal hits if necessary (it's a quasi-threat). And the nifty thing is that you can bounce your own Eldritch Dreamer for example. :)

I like his deck build too though. I'm kinda split between wanting to hybrid it and going pure control. Pure control seems a lot more risky to me though given my experiences with various decks (especially fast decks).

Maybe I should get rid of the Flock of Seagulls and the Giant Corpse Flies and drop in Xentoth's Inquisitor with the Subterfuge gem. Only issue is I'd have no low cost chumps.

Flock of Seagulls is meant to just be an early shield. Giant Corpse fly is meant to limit their hand while I mill to limit their draws. If they have a small hand, they can only rely on library after all.

Again, this is just some of my reasoning which may or may not be viable.

rjselzler
05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
As for Eldritch Dreamer, I added the deck list as text above. The gem is what makes it shine, six cards on entering and unblockable as well as it's ability to be a chump at worst.

Note that Inquisitor performs a similar function, but doesn't anti-synergize with Extinction. Inquisitor mills, chumps, mills, and chumps until you run out of resources. Just a thought. Worst case, you can even kill your own Inquisitor to squeeze out some more mill. That won't happen often, but the synergy is there. Your primary win con is mill, so you need to evaluate each card in that light: does it get me close to milling 60 cards? Uruunaz is the exception, and is clearly you alternate win con as a one of, though he synergizes well with mill in general.

What you are really running is a control deck that uses mill as a win con. Not necessarily a combo deck that wins with a mil strategy. Just my two cents.

BRonIsBoss
05-08-2014, 05:35 AM
What you are really running is a control deck that uses mill as a win con. Not necessarily a combo deck that wins with a mil strategy. Just my two cents.

Agreed 100%. That's a much more concise way of saying everything I said above

DuroNL
05-09-2014, 06:48 AM
I might agree on all that is said above, its leaning towards a control deck with Mill as winning condition...

However:
Buccaneer for me is a no brainer, i would always use it in a Sapphire mill/control deck, cause its a troop and it bounces, and its ad + to their cards cost, win win win i'd say...

Personally would remove the murders and put in another extinction, just to have a higher change of drawing that. the Murder is good, but if you are facing Artifact decks, Murder is useless imo... if you are worried about your troops dying aswell, Call to Grave might be a nice addition, it can have you get back your buccaneers and use their abilities again!

Not to sure about the corpse flyer, yes you are removing cards, but they are removed from hand, its good for a control deck but for mill i;m not sure. (Though with call to grave this is also a nice combo, to re-use their ability!)

Try getting in a peek or 2 (maybe3) so you can start searching your deck for that Chronic madness, plus drawing more cards is good with the twisted fate!

Jacklau89
05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I just put up the deck and play around a bit. Now unless your sole purpose is to mill the deck of your opponent to zero card and nothing else, I don't see why wouldn't anyone put a few copies of High Tomb Lord or Wall of corpses in this deck. Getting to one-shot your opponent with a 50/50 troop is just epic:cool:

And using pact of pain to draw a couple extra cards seems nice overall. Yesterday seems to go well with cards like Buccaneer, Eldritch Dreamer and Giant corpse fly.