PDA

View Full Version : Small problem in current draft

Sparkly_Noises
05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I mentioned this in game chat and was "politely responded to" by 10 or so people including HexRex who couldn't stop stuffing words into my mouth.

Now this is entirely dependent on how many people do this and how lucky their draws are, but a friend ran into a problem against a life gain deck.
Let me make it clear before more people start shoving words down my throat, there is nothing wrong with this strategy and I have nothing against people who use it.
The problem occurs when they use up their entire 30 minute timer (combined with their opponents time) stalling with minimal to no win conditions because their deck choice and bad play holds up the entire draft to 45 minutes between rounds.
(If you haven't figured it out yet the life gain deck lost to timer).

I understand this isn't the local card shop, so you cant have a judge go breath down their neck and declare a 5 turn timer when only one group is left, or determine the loss visually.
I've run dangerously close to timer myself, it happens, but IMO a little record keeping on people's number of timeout or near timeout losses might be a pleasant deterrent to pointlessly drawn out games.

I open the floor to opinions, feel free to yell at me for telling you how you should play and other things I never said.

Edit: Edited for exaggerated accusations

Quasari
05-08-2014, 09:46 PM
The timer's there to detract from this playstyle. Doing anything else is overkill. The timer is there so the game don't draw out too long. I'm sorry you don't like your time wasted, but the only other possible solution is lowering the clock and that's a bad idea.

israel.kendall
05-08-2014, 09:55 PM
No one verbally assaulted you.

Edswor
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Well, using all the time you can is allowed so you/we can't do anything about it.

I hope in the future CZE add a "fast" game play mode with less time globally and limit the time per turn you you have to play fast and the best of 3 total time is far less than the actual one.

Khazrakh
05-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, using all the time you can is allowed so you/we can't do anything about it.

I hope in the future CZE add a "fast" game play mode with less time globally and limit the time per turn you you have to play fast and the best of 3 total time is far less than the actual one.

Yeah I'd like to see that too for the future - even if the match goes 2-1 or 1-2 I rarely need more than 10 minutes of play time. But I'm a quick player and I can accept that other people take longer to play, make their decisions and so on.
Playing against a staller can by annoying, but you'll win in the end - I don't think CZE can do much about it right now.

Mike411
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
I was there for the ingame chat, we weren't being hostile, especially not hexrex. What you're describing is not a common situation, it's not against the rules, and it wouldn't be worth spending time trying to track people doing it.

Sorry you had a bad experience :(

Patrigan
05-08-2014, 11:03 PM
HexRex is by far one of the nicest guys I've ever met, so i'd be amazed if there was ever any bad intention from his side.

Athravan
05-09-2014, 01:44 AM
It's still a free win though even if it takes the whole timer. Yeah it might be a bit boring and frustrating to sit there for 30 minutes, but you can alt tab or drag hex into a different window and keep an eye on it whilst doing something else. Again, not ideal.. but this sort of happening should be in the minority. People have used up a ticket or paid 100 plat to enter, the very very vast majority of them will try their best to win even if they feel they've got a bad deck.

If this happened to me I wouldn't even be particularly annoyed, I'd just drag it over to my second monitor, browse the forums/twitter whilst it ticked down and take my free win.

Gorgol
05-09-2014, 01:50 AM
free win? Give me please!

Kami
05-09-2014, 04:30 AM
This problem would pretty much be eliminated if they allowed you to do other things in-game without having to leave/forfeit the tournament.

I'd assume they're working on it?

Revoluketion
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah I'd take a free win any day! let them take the whole game!

Chemosh
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
They said people abusing the enemys timer on soul marble was potentially ban able, I imagine if they are exploiting timer in other ways may be same... if you won the game by thier timing out however it was their timer to use... sucks, but that's why its there.

Grumph
05-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Smite has a nice feature where a box pops up and makes a noise when your game is about to start, if you are alt tabbed at the time. Something like this for when you receive priority would be excellent for hex, allowing you to do other things while you wait for an opponent to time out or make their move