PDA

View Full Version : Crypto : Publish the Rules and Bugged Games

Flight
05-11-2014, 02:57 AM
Really annoyed right now. Been kicked from my last two drafts.

1. Last night I'm in a winning position and game bugs out on me (some discard or other - my opponent got screenshots). Couldn't do anything, timers both went to 00:00 and a long timer later get booted from the game and the draft match.

2. Just got booted from my next draft match in a winning position in game three (my opponent had less life than me). Now I'm assuming (because I don't know) that the timer for the hour may have run out. But I have the upper hand in the game. Maybe my timer was lower but I don't know. Now if it is timer running out then you need display warnings and/or if it runs out then you need to display a message saying so. But who knows, it could just as well have been another bug.

But most of all quite a separate issue from the above - we need some detailed rules publishing. So many little things don't work the same way we are used to in other CCGs. You can't hide behind it being beta now we're in a payment model, KS has been resolved and we're using subscriptions. You shouldn't have moved to a payment model yet and you shouldn't have distributed our KS cards but now that you have you have to get on top of things.

Badger
05-11-2014, 03:13 AM
AahahahahababbahhahhahahahahahhhahHhhHhhH

Arbiter
05-11-2014, 03:30 AM
It really is up to a player to monitor their time left, time management is part of this game (though I know there are still some things that need fixing here).. I actually don't want the game giving me warnings or beeping at me. That's far more likely to distract or break concentration and cause some people to make errors.

Xenavire
05-11-2014, 03:35 AM
First, you need to watch your own timer. No brainer there. And they have a FAQ with most of the rules. So there are sources out there that are exactly what you are asking for.

The bug is a shame. And Monday, you should try to get a devs attention (for example, DataDragon) because they can probably fix your account issues.

Mahes
05-11-2014, 04:40 AM
The account issues will get fixed.

The timer issue, if a bug needs to be reported.

I will agree with your sentiment about needing an official rules document at this point. I presume that this is being worked on, but it kind of needed to have been placed prior to monetization. Since there have been multiple post around everyone's opinion on having gone to a monetized system, I will just leave the argument at that.

Pheelon
05-11-2014, 04:55 AM
hmm is the HEX FAQ not enough in this regard? it's even Linked in the Closed BETA Primer - https://hextcg.com/closed-beta-primer/ or here a direct link: http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.c om/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf

Thrawn
05-11-2014, 07:03 AM
The timer giving a warning isn't really a big issue, but he is right that we are overdue to get comprehensive rules published.

Xenavire
05-11-2014, 07:15 AM
The FAQ and the quickstart guide cover a lot of what would be in a comprehensive rulebook. I just don't see that there are enough corner cases out there right now that require answers that can't be answered by a dev popping into a thread, or potentially ingame.

I think the dev time is more important right now, since we already have a fairly comprehensive resource right now.

Arveene
05-11-2014, 07:56 AM
I'd like to see a comprehensive rulebook as well. Time spent on putting this together and posting it will save time in the long run. I also can't imagine that they don't have one already, how could you even develop this game without it? You'll have less bug reports and less forum posts asking for clarification of the rules. Hopefully we'll also get a fix for the timer bug regarding certain cards in the next update.

As for the timer issue, I think you should have just watched your clock more closely. Unless you're just alt-tabbing and clicking pass priority during your opponents turn, there's plenty of time to take a glance at the clock while in-game. I will concede that the timer / UI feels very clunky currently. That doesn't help when some matches are running very close to running out of time.

Axle
05-11-2014, 08:10 AM
+1 for a rulebook linked somewhere on the start screen when you just login to HEX (an image that clicking it leads to a url, just like the other ones there) and then when you have a working tutorial replace the rulebook link with that

Zomnivore
05-11-2014, 08:36 AM
No need to laugh at him.

If he got a timer bug then thats a bummer.

I personally would've played faster or used an alternatitive way to time myself, but I understand feeling bummed about it.

ossuary
05-11-2014, 10:54 AM
You'll have less bug reports and less forum posts asking for clarification of the rules.

This assumes that everyone will read the rulebook, and understand it fully. Considering the number of bug reports we already get from people not even reading the text on the cards properly, I think it's a pretty foolish notion that having even more to read will result in fewer bad reports. ;)

larryhl
05-11-2014, 11:16 AM
This assumes that everyone will read the rulebook, and understand it fully. Considering the number of bug reports we already get from people not even reading the text on the cards properly, I think it's a pretty foolish notion that having even more to read will result in fewer bad reports. ;)

While I agree with you on this, it's not really a reason to not have a comprehensive rulebook. MtG actually does this pretty well with releasing an updated rule set before each new set becomes available for Standard play, along with a FAQ with questions that came up during their testing, usually regarding card interactions inter- and intra-set.

Fenrus
05-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I have personally run into timer display issues where it will show my time remaining as either 30:00 or 0:00 even though we are halfway through a game or in the 2nd/3rd game of a match. This most commonly occurs at the start of a game and fixes itself shortly thereafter. I was worried that it meant I d/c'ed, but that hasn't been the case thus far.