PDA

View Full Version : AI still mostly freezing - any tips?

Banquetto
05-11-2014, 06:23 AM
When I got into Alpha back in November, I wanted to play some games against the AI to learn how to play. Sadly it was mostly unplayable, with only maybe 1 game in 10 completing without freezing. And that was after I learned about certain buggy cards that you couldn't use or it was guaranteed to freeze. At that point I decided to put Hex aside and wait until Beta.

Fast forward to now. The stability is better but it's still a 50/50 thing (I just attempted 8 games against the AI, four played to completion, four froze within a couple of turns of starting).

So I was wondering, any tips? Are there still certain bugged cards that you need to leave out of your deck if you want to play the AI? (my games were all with the Human Bravery starter deck).

Xenavire
05-11-2014, 06:28 AM
The AI issues are being worked on, it is a server issue according to a dev in chat yesterday. The AI has been a little spotty the whole time, and is completely unrelated to PvP games.

Just try playing against players for now, there are lots of newer players and there will be hundreds more in a few weeks in open beta. And hopefully AI 2.0 will land sooner rather than later.

Banquetto
05-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Cheers Xenavire. I really wanted to get a decent feel for how the gameplay actually worked - even basic stuff like the phases, using cards' actions, attacking & defending is all a bit overwhelming (I never played MtG, I gather this would all be pretty comfortable if I had!)

But I did challenge a random dude to a game and surprised myself by winning! Zero tech problems in that one PvP game. :)

Xenavire
05-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Cheers Xenavire. I really wanted to get a decent feel for how the gameplay actually worked - even basic stuff like the phases, using cards' actions, attacking & defending is all a bit overwhelming (I never played MtG, I gather this would all be pretty comfortable if I had!)

But I did challenge a random dude to a game and surprised myself by winning! Zero tech problems in that one PvP game. :)

Practice makes perfect. I went through all those same things in every TCG I played (MTG, Yugioh, Pokemon) and it does get easier, and quite quickly. A good friend of mine has been progressing at some crazy speeds, and can beat me fairly regularly, and I am an old hand at this - he plays only once or twice a week at best, and he can hold his own. He had never even touched a TCG like Hex before, and had barely played Hearthstone before the Hex Alpha hit.

So just keep at it, soon it will all be second nature. :)

GPrime
05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
It sounds like you figured everything out pretty well, but there's an introductory rules guide available if there's still some confusion: https://hextcg.com/quick-start-guide-now-available/

And congrats on winning your first PVP game played. =)

chromus
05-11-2014, 06:55 AM
See, this is why PvE must be implemented ASAP, even if it's just in the form of a tutorial dungeon of some kind. There are going to be tons of players very new to TCGs (especially when Open Beta hits) who will be too overwhelmed/intimidated by having to play human opponents from the get go. Unlike the OP, most will likely get crushed and may never return or bother with the steep learning curve. Even a much simpler game like Hearthstone has tutorial PvE...