PDA

View Full Version : Anyone managed a Mill deck in Draft?

Incindium
05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Was wondering if anyone had managed to pull together a working Mill deck in a draft?

I've seen Spawn of Othuyeg as a first rare and with most decks only containing 40 cards it seems like it could be possible.

wasichu
05-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Had i guy take me down to 4 cards left but I won. I was sweatin bullets. So it is possible but he had 3 when he drew a card I got milled and 2 fate racks out and the champ to mill and one chronic madness that he drew two or 3 times.

Yoss
05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
FYI, the Spawn is Uncommon, not Rare, so you can actually get multiples if you're lucky. Chronic Madness is a Rare though.

Incindium
05-12-2014, 02:06 PM
FYI, the Spawn is Uncommon, not Rare, so you can actually get multiples if you're lucky. Chronic Madness is a Rare though.

Ok yeah that makes more sense why I've seen a few of them in draft...

Scammanator
05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
I once drafted two sabotages in the first pack of a draft, grabbed some mill and played as Nin. I was defeated in the final round, but it was a fun deck to play, and second place issn't bad.

Norious
05-13-2014, 08:00 AM
sounds like some content for our veterans out there: Topic : Budget Mill strategies

thoughts: Twisted Fate, Corpse Fly, Inquisition. Misfortune, gems with mill effect, removal cards and stall troops

Daer
05-13-2014, 08:22 AM
I played Colin in draft and he had a Spawn of Othuyeg. Can't remember if I lost due to being milled or not though, I know it was very close.

nicosharp
05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
I've milled one person. Did not win with the deck though. Had twisted fate, Spawn of Othuyeg, and Chronic Madness, along with Fate Rack.

Tinfoil
05-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Fate Rack alone is enough to win by mill in limited if you can draft a heavy control/defensive deck, if you play it early. But it is hard to draft a deck that can mill consistently. Combining different things is best I think.

Xoota
05-14-2014, 12:31 AM
I tried a mill deck with Spawn of Othuyeg, Fate Rack, Twisted Fate, and Oracle Song. Had some dwarves and artifacts that let you draw cards as well, but now that I think of it perhaps the last thing wasn't a good idea.

esaotuelr
05-14-2014, 11:10 PM
I went with blue red mill and won draft twice with that strategy, twisted fate + crazed rummaging is a killer even if you don't have great milling cards. Also mortar fire normally buys you a turn or 2 of no new threats. It's got solid removal and fast mill power when you have the cards.

Baldo
05-15-2014, 05:14 AM
I played blue red mill/control and won a draft as well. Pretty much the same strategy above, with a heavy control package. This was the perfect shell for mortar strike.

Hemlock
05-15-2014, 07:55 AM
I lost a game to a mill deck once - they were lucky enough to get two Spawns out on the field. I won the round, though.

Seems like it can be a devastating strategy if you pull off the combo, but midrange is almost always a safer bet.

Norious
05-15-2014, 08:41 AM
tried sapphire/blood last night with some call to graves. Horrible misplays for me, but i didn't think I could make a go of it anyway. Maybe sapphire/ruby is the key then

The_Lannisters
05-15-2014, 02:39 PM
IMO mills are really hard to pull off because require very specific combos of mill/removal that you are not likely to get consistently in limited. Removal is a premium commodity in drafts and without it the mill won't be quick enough to sustain your 20 points health against an increasing number of enemy troops.

Faxanadu
05-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Managed to make a Shin'hare deck, all Wild, with 4 Fate Racks and took 1st. The Fate Racks helped me win twice, once removing all cards and the other getting lucky and removing Ruby shards preventing them from using half their deck (Blood/Ruby).

Fenrus
05-22-2014, 08:58 AM
I've run Fate Rack in a Dwarf deck, but it didn't make a big impact on my matches. I've faced off against 2 mill decks in draft, but I won the matches 2-1 both times - it definitely makes for a more intense game when you play against one that starts to go off.

kickinhead
06-26-2014, 06:22 AM
There are some Versions that beat my Control pretty hard, but I don't think it'll have a decent Chance against Aggro... IMHO, it's almost necessary to go Blood as a Control-Deck (Sorrow, Extinction, Xentoth Inq etc.) to win against Aggro and the best Mills I saw are Ruby/Sapphire.

darkwonders
06-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I've used a Spawn to shard screw my opponent. It was hilarious cause every hit was a shard. Kept him at 2 shards most of the game.

Glae
06-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I used Loregoyles to out mill a mill deck that was running 5 twisted fates and sapphire card draw. It was pretty sweet.

Serax
07-03-2014, 10:21 PM
I have won a round with mill but never made it past the second round from what I can remember. I can in fact say I have never lost to a mill deck in draft. Even if they manage to win the first game, I just plus up my deck in between games and it made it a lot harder for my opponent to mill me at that point.

WWKnight
07-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I had two of those Cerulean Mages that inspire others to draw a card when they deal damage, and a set of 4 Turreted Walls. Combined with Twisted Fate and Spawns and a single copy of the escalate mill card, I won a less serious draft (one that grants a pack per win).

Thats probably more to consistant card draw than it was to milling, but there ya go.

V01d
07-09-2014, 03:19 AM
I have played 4 matches against mill decks in draft and won each of them 2 - 0. Please play more mill decks. :p

I think that you will not only need to be the only mill player on the table, but you will also need to be set against decks which are build to beat aggro. yes it can happen but there are more consistent way to win games.