PDA

View Full Version : Bug or Glitch? Opened 10 packs, got 8 treasure chests

ossuary
05-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Subject says it all. :)

I went to the store and hit the arrow to open 10 packs. After reviewing the cards I received (no legendaries - boo!) I went to my inventory and had only received 8 treasure chests (6 common, 2 uncommon).

I exited the client and logged back in, but the counts had not changed. I waited a half hour and checked again, still the same.

I know for sure there are 2 missing, because the total number of treasure chests I have are 2 less than the total number of packs I have opened and drafted. I have kept meticulous records of all the packs I've opened, all my tournament winnings, all the Wheels of Fate rolls I've done and what the payouts were, all the upgrades and whatnot I've gotten to the existing chests, and what my current totals for each type of chest (both spinnable and non-spinnable) should be. There are absolutely 2 fewer of them than there ought to be.

I've already filed a ticket with support about this... just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of thing happen in the last little while?

YourOpponent
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I haven't been opening packs that way, but have heard of other people having that problem.

I have noticed packs disappearing from draft tournaments. I know that draft tournaments are supposed to use 3 packs, but sometimes 4 packs are been removed from my Inventory instead. Like you I have been keeping meticulous records of my packs, chests, rares/legendaries, and Wheel of Fate rolls. The missing packs are simply that they are being removed without being opened even (otherwise I'd be seeing the rares/legendaries and chests)

Pheelon
05-16-2014, 09:13 AM
had a similar problem today (got 4 Common 2 Uncommon and 2 Rare Chests from 10 packs) - couldn't find the other 2 (they wern't Legendary)

ossuary
05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
I haven't gotten a response from support on this yet, but it's been less than 24 hours. I just hope I get an answer before the weekend, since I know GameForge support doesn't currently work on the weekend. I want to draft some more, but I don't want to mess with my totals until everything gets resolved. So I guess I just have to sit on my hands for now. :)

This kind of stuff just goes to show how important it is to update the UI ASAP to show exactly what you get, any time you get it. Even when you're going into draft, there should be a little popup window off to the side or something that says "You received the following treasure chests from your draft: blah blah blah." You should never have to go digging around in your inventory later to work out what you received. That's poor design.

DionyzRex
05-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the report. We're looking into this but have never heard of or seen this before.

This kind of stuff just goes to show how important it is to update the UI ASAP to show exactly what you get, any time you get it. Even when you're going into draft, there should be a little popup window off to the side or something that says "You received the following treasure chests from your draft: blah blah blah." You should never have to go digging around in your inventory later to work out what you received. That's poor design.

It was never designed to work this way. It is a known issue and being worked on.

ossuary
05-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Hey Rex, thanks for the update! I appreciate it.

If you need any additional info from me to investigate in more detail, feel free to PM me. :)

DataDragon
05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Looking at your inventory, I see you have 89 treasure chests. Is that what you see as well?
Counting up your unused packs, used packs, I get 89 as well.
Everything seems to match up on this end, so I wonder if its a client display issue.

ossuary
05-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Looking at your inventory, I see you have 89 treasure chests. Is that what you see as well?
Counting up your unused packs, used packs, I get 89 as well.
Everything seems to match up on this end, so I wonder if its a client display issue.

My notes show 91 packs total opened, including 3 primals. I do indeed have 89 chests.

155 packs received from kickstarter
25 packs received from another code I redeemed (details in the ticket I submitted)
3 packs from a 2nd place tournament
3 packs won spinning Wheels of Fate
----
186 normal booster packs received

3 primal packs from the kickstarter packs (1 guaranteed + 2 more I got from the 155)
1 primal pack from the 25 packs
----
4 primal packs received

also, 4 completed drafts with free draft tickets = 12 additional packs opened immediately upon creation

76 packs opened by hand (60 opened 10 at a time, and 16 opened one at a time), 110 packs remaining in my inventory (correct amount), should be 76 treasure chests from normal packs

12 packs from draft = 12 treasure chests

3 opened primal packs = 3 legendary treasure chests

76 + 12 + 3 should = 91

but I only have 89 treasure chests

The numbers were all correct until yesterday evening, when I opened the 15 packs referenced in the ticket (10 at once, then 5 one at a time). My totals were correct prior to that, after I finished the last tournament for the day.

I had 76 treasure chests going in, then I opened 10 packs at once, stayed in the store, opened 5 more packs one at a time, then went to my inventory to figure out what chests I got from the packs, and adding it up found I had only gotten 8 chests from the 10-pack.

Exited and re-entered client a few times to verify, saw the chests still weren't adding up, opened the ticket. :)

How does the logging work on your guys' end... can you see timestamps on the openings, or do you just see total possessed and total opened? Because my count shows that I've opened 91 total packs, including the 3 primals I opened, not 89.

DataDragon
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
We have transaction logs of the things you gain and use.
I only see you ever gaining 184 packs total, which is 2 off what you are claiming.
Still investigating, but wondering if something along the line displayed wrong for you.

ossuary
05-16-2014, 06:10 PM
How very strange. :)

I don't know if Rex mentioned the full details to you, but I spoke to him about this for a few minutes in chat as well. If you look at my card counts, they're also a bit off.

The total number of cards in my collection is 2,156. Not counting the 500 resources everyone starts with on their account, or the 300 cards from my 5 starter decks (4 from King tier, plus the free one every account gets), I have 1,356 other cards in my collection. 6 of those are from Wheels of Fate spins (4x windbourne acolyte AA, and 2 PVP rares). The remaining 1,350 are from opening packs and doing drafts, which total 1350/15 = 90 packs' worth.

So according to your logs, I only opened 89 packs. But according to my collection card counts, I opened 90. And according to my manually tracked records, I should have had 91. All the numbers were correct until last night, when I opened the 15 packs. That's when the counts went bad. Prior to that, my card total was correct and my treasure chest count was also correct.

It looks to me like when I opened the 10 packs, it sent a message to the server to remove 10 packs from my inventory, but when the contents were being generated, somehow it only ended up giving me 9 packs of cards and 8 treasure chests. Is that even possible? Could a lag spike or some other data loss cause the items to be removed from my inventory without producing contents?

The only possible culprit of messing up the pack counts that I can think of would be the Wheels of Fate spins. We know that those can cause a display bug with the prizes so that the counts are off. But I always exit the client and log back in when I finish spinning the Wheels because of that, to verify that my counts are correct (also to see if I got a primal pack :)). I did win 1 booster pack yesterday, earlier in the day, but my pack counts still matched up at that time when I exited and went back in. I spun WoF a few times after I finished the last tournament yesterday afternoon, but didn't get any packs then:

52. 500 gold, no spins (1 gold icon, 1 red icon)
52. fail (3 mismatched red icons)
53. PVP rare (Kindling Skarn) +paid spin
54. fail (2 red icons)

After I did those spins from the 5K gold from my last tournament, my counts were still correct when I quit playing. Then later in the evening when I logged back in and opened the 15 packs is when things went off.

Honestly, I find this whole thing intriguing more than anything else. It's a mystery. :)

Pheelon
05-16-2014, 06:23 PM
hmm, card count being off seems "interesting" - maybe the client counts wrong (if its correct on the db side)?
maybe i should check mine too since i had the same phenomen - but that would mean checking all my WoF log-posts for pvp rare drops... :S

Yoss
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Well, as long as we're checking numbers...

My shard counts are weird: 150s, 146b, 126d, 126w, 152r = 700 total
But they actually make sense if the starter decks grant you more shards (I have 2x each, plus the freebie; the freebie doesn't seem to grant shards).

I subtract that off my 1425 total, and get 725 cards. I went through and tallied them all up and indeed got 725. The starters each come with 35 cards. Multiply that by 9 starters (315), subtract from 725, get 410. I have opened 8 primals and done 6 drafts (18 packs). That's only 390 cards ([8+18]*15), yet I have 410. Then I remember the AA cards from KS. That's 5 AA cards times 4, which is the 20 I was missing.

As for my pack counts, they're also correct. I have 328, which is my tiers (310) plus draft winnings (18). I have not spun the WoF yet.

ossuary
05-17-2014, 04:56 AM
Everyone starts with 500 basic resources (100 of each shard). Then your shard counts go up based on which starter decks you have, yes, so those numbers are going to be a little wonky for everyone depending on if you got all 4 starter decks from your KS tier or not (or if you've got multiple accounts combined), and which one you choose for your account's free starter.

Since each starter deck has exactly 60 cards, I found it easier math-wise to just ignore the extra shards and count by the number of starter decks I have, instead. 5 starters * 60 cards = 300 cards, so if you just subtract 800 (500 + 300) from your total card count, that should be the number of cards you got from opening packs, doing drafts, and Wheels of Fate rewards.

Also, when you're looking at your Card Collection screen, be sure you hit "New Deck" so you don't have a deck loaded in your screen, otherwise those cards will be subtracted from the card count in the top left corner. That number counts your cards not currently in use, not all your cards total. I didn't realize that at first and it was seriously messing up my math (I had a 65 card deck loaded) until I figured it out. ;)

Yoss
05-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I did the "new deck trick". As for the starer deck math, be careful; the free starter actually only gives you 35 cards (no shards). Each starter is 35 real cards, plus 25 shards (if it's a paid/KS starter).

ossuary
05-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I did the "new deck trick". As for the starer deck math, be careful; the free starter actually only gives you 35 cards (no shards). Each starter is 35 real cards, plus 25 shards (if it's a paid/KS starter).

No, it really does give you shards. Otherwise everyone would just have exactly 100. I know it seems weird for it to work that way, but it does. Find a slacker backer and ask him which deck he chose - he will have 100 of the normal shards and 12-15 extra of the shards his one deck uses.

ossuary
05-17-2014, 01:28 PM
OK, scratch that, we're both half-right. :)

The one free deck you get with every account only adds the 35 cards, it doesn't add resources. But any decks you get as part of your KS package, add the resources.

So if you have for example a beta account with no packs or anything on it, just your free starter deck, your total collection will be 535 cards (the 500 standard resources everyone gets, and the 35 cards used to make your free deck).

On a KS account, with the 4 starter decks PLUS the free one, you'll have 500 + (60 * 4) + 35 or 775 cards before you open any packs.

Also, in my talk earlier in this thread about the number of cards I had, I totally forgot to include the free KS alternate art cards in my math, which messed me up. It just happened to be that my mistake on the KS exclusives + my assumption about the free starter deck including all 60 cards looked correct (because the math worked out to a multiple of 15).

If you take all of this information into account, my collection breaks down as follows:

2,156 total cards

500 free resources
240 cards - 4 KS starter decks
35 cards - 1 free account starter deck
10 cards - KS alt art cards for King tier (2x ragefire, extinction, pack raptor, replicator's gambit, princess victoria)
6 cards - Wheels of Fate winnings (4x windbourne acolyte AA, 1 PVP rare Mushwocky, 1 PVP rare Kindling Skarn)

2156 - 500 - 240 - 35 - 10 - 6 = 1365 total cards from opening actual packs
1365 / 15 = 91 packs opened

So my card collection counts are exactly right (and prove that I cannot possibly have only opened 89 packs, since I have 91 packs' worth of cards). But I am still short 2 treasure chests, since I only have 89 of those. :)

ossuary
05-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Proof on what I said about the starter deck resources:

Here's my King tier KS account. I have the 4 KS starter decks, plus the 1 free starter that came with my account. Look at the resource accounts above 100. 23 blood + 26 ruby + 13 wild + 13 diamond + 25 sapphire = 100 (25 * 4). No resources for the 5th, free deck.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x197/ChaosFromOrder/HEX_primaryaccount.png

And here's a second account I picked up to try to get my daughter into the game. All it has on it right now is the free starter deck (dwarves). Notice that it has exactly 100 of each resource, and 535 total cards (as I said in the post above). No extra resources from the free starter deck - but we saw above that the KS decks DO add resources. :)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x197/ChaosFromOrder/HEX_secondaryaccount.png

Pheelon
05-17-2014, 02:57 PM
hmm, interesting

i should have:
500 shards from account
35 cards from account starter
720 from KS-Starters
60? from Storebought Starter (misclick and no are you sure...)
5340 from chest (356)
35 from KS AA
15 AA from WoF
15 PVP Rares from WoF
= 6720 cards

I do have 6695 cards

no if i calc the bought starter as 35 instead of 60 i come to that number BUT i have 825 Basic Shards:
175 + 180 +139 +139 +192 = 825 (500 from acc + 12 * 25 from KS + 25 from shop)... so I'm a bit confused atm.

am I missing 25 cards? Did i calc any of this wrong?
could this be from a server/tourney crash in the middle of drafting?

ossuary
05-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm betting a store-bought starter deck would be the same as the free account one, and only have 35 cards (no resources). So your count would be exactly correct if you change your +60 to +35.

Pheelon
05-17-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm betting a store-bought starter deck would be the same as the free account one, and only have 35 cards (no resources). So your count would be exactly correct if you change your +60 to +35.

thats what i though but then i have too many ressources 800 vs 825 (i have 825).

ossuary
05-17-2014, 07:41 PM
No idea then. I also don't personally know how merged KS accounts behave with the resources, since my account only has the one tier - that could be having an effect on your numbers as well.

My math shows that I have the exact right number of cards for the packs my notes said I should have (once I got all the factors right), and they said before from when people were opening packs and it wasn't showing them their cards that the server handles all that immediately on their end as soon as you open a pack, so it seemed like a pretty unlikely scenario in the first place that the card count would be off... I only concluded that it was because my math at the time appeared correct and the numbers were out of synch.

But now I know the issue is JUST the missing treasure chests, which presumably are handled separately from the pack generating its contents and adding them to your account (since that part was in first, before we had treasure chests).

Edit to say: at this point, I think it's best to wait for DataDragon to get back to us; he's the DB guru, and we know he's working on it. They should have everything they need from me to investigate, and there's no need to get worked up over what is most likely a crazy, unlikely glitch. They'll find it, fix it, and produce the missing items for anyone who was affected. We'll probably hear more details on Monday, when they're back in the office.

Pheelon
05-17-2014, 09:41 PM
yeah no biggy anyway just did the same check you did out of curiosity - its off by some packs now - but the addional card-count match the used packs so thats fine either way. Just didn't get to the shard count i expected - or well did but then i'm off by 25 cards.

ossuary
05-19-2014, 05:35 AM
GameForge support closed my ticket on this, saying I was working with the devs to resolve it on the forums, so I'll just post a quick recap so we have everything in one post, to make sure it's not overlooked. :)

Packs received:
I have received a total of 186 booster packs and 4 primal packs.

155 KS boosters
25 boosters from a code I redeemed
3 boosters from 2nd place in a tournament
3 boosters won from Wheels of Fate spins

155 + 25 + 3 + 3 = 186 boosters

1 primal pack guaranteed from KS tier
2 primals packs received from the 155 KS packs
1 primal pack received from the 25 booster packs

1 + 2 + 1 = 4 primals

Packs opened:
I have opened 76 booster packs outside of draft out of my 186 (16 opened by hand, and 60 opened 10 at a time). I opened a 10-pack and 5 packs by hand on the night the bug happened. There are 110 booster packs left in my inventory. This number is correct.

I have participated in 4 drafts using free draft tickets - that created and opened 12 regular packs (I got no primals from these).

I have opened 3 primal packs (the first 3 I got as soon as I redeemed my KS tier - the last one I'm saving for a rainy day :)).

76 + 12 + 3 = 91 packs opened

However, there are only 89 treasure chests in my inventory. 2 are missing, from the night of the bug report (May 15th, around 7:30 PM Atlantic time, or GMT -4:00).

I know that my manually tracked record of booster packs is correct, because it matches my card count totals exactly.

There are 2,156 cards in my collection.

500 are the 100 of each shard that all accounts get.
240 come from the 4 KS starter decks (60 cards each, including resources, which are added to your total).
35 come from the free account starter deck (this one does not have resources in it, just the 35 cards).
10 come from KS king tier alternate art cards
6 are from Wheels of Fate spins (4 AA windbourne, 2 PVP rares)

2156 - 500 - 240 - 35 - 10 - 6 = 1365

The remaining 1,365 cards are from opening packs and doing drafts. 1365 / 15 = 91 packs opened.

Conclusion: when I opened the 10-pack and the 5 individual packs on May 15th, something bugged out with the 10-pack. I only received 8 treasure chests, even though I received 10 packs' worth of cards. Whatever the bug was, it also caused CZE's logs of the event to be incorrect, such that their database records of my account are also off by 2, showing that I only ever opened 89 packs (even though the math doesn't work out that way). The fact that I have 91 packs' worth of cards proves that their logs are incorrect.

Hopefully this gives you guys the information you require to identify where the database entries got fudged, and to prevent it from happening to other users in the future. If I could get the 2 missing treasure chests back (or the equivalent), that would be nice too. :)

DataDragon
05-19-2014, 05:18 PM
<insert similarly pleasing comment here>

Xenavire
05-19-2014, 06:38 PM

A man with wit to match his skill - you sir, deserve cookies.

Pheelon
05-19-2014, 07:03 PM

lol nice one ;)

ossuary
05-19-2014, 07:41 PM

bahahah love it :)

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, are you able to say what happened? Or is that need to know only?

Pheelon
05-20-2014, 03:53 AM
Something really strange is happening atm - I'm literally losing cards - I mean i have odd numbers of the KS AA Cards now (missing 2 Princess Victoria for example all other KS AAs have the corretc amount)

edit: hmm a client restart seems to have fixed the issue - it's still strange - was missing like a couple hundred odd cards...

edit2: just wondered why my pack count + chest count was off by quite a large margin from my total pack count I had - then realized that ~50 Drafts equals another 150 packs/chests ;) - going infinite (or nearly) in Drafts is very nice for Bonus chests :P

DataDragon
05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
It was a case of old code and new code not matching up in how they do things.
Old code does things one way, new code does it another, and never shall the twain meet.
Of course, the DB records everything given to it, so recovering items is simple enough.

DataDragon
05-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I have done some DB-fu, and you should now see everything you should see in your inventories.
A permanent fix will be in place for the next patch, but the DB will keep things in place until then.

ossuary
05-22-2014, 04:43 AM
So just to be clear, should we be seeing the missing items in our inventory now? Or post patch? Because my numbers didn't change. :)

Pheelon
05-22-2014, 04:54 AM
my numbers did change a bit (now I got like 13 more cards than I can remember having - instead of the 25 less accordnig to my spread sheet) - no idea witch ones though.

As for Chest counts - no idea those numbers change too fast - could be more now or not only used the chest count to check the card count.

DataDragon
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
You should see any missing items in your inventory now.
If you are somehow still missing items, then it is not due to WoF, and we'd need to go deeper into the issue.
In your case ossuary, we probably need to have support reimburse you the missing stuff, since something else had to have happened.
At the very least, the ticket needs to be re-opened/re-created to get you taken care of.

ossuary
05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
OK, reopened.

Any idea what could have caused this, then, since I seem to be the only one affected by this exact circumstance?

When a container object is opened (and consumed, in the case of a booster pack), and the contents are generated, does the server or database do a validation or reverse-confirmation to ensure all of the contents that should have been inside the container actually ended up in the inventory? In my mind, each event should have a trigger (opening a pack) and a confirmation (DB makes sure all expected contents appeared in inventory, and totals are still correct). Is there any scenario where that isn't happening? Could a lagged connection or DB overload cause part of that process to drop or misfire? Crossed wires sending some of my items to another user's inventory?

I can think of a lot of scenarios, but obviously without the underlying structures, no idea what is and isn't likely. :)

Yoss
05-22-2014, 03:53 PM
In other words, oss wants to work for CZE. :D

DataDragon
05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
No clue just yet. Will most likely require server side investigations.
We use transactions to ensure things don't end up in any sort of halfway state.
It would fail out rather than half work, basically.

ossuary
05-22-2014, 07:58 PM
In other words, oss wants to work for CZE. :D

Doi. And also, dur-hees. :)

DataDragon
05-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Found a new bug that is most likely what affected you, ossuary.
I see 2 booster packs that are marked opened when they were not. Related to WoF.
If I reset those packs, you should gain 2 unopened packs and then 2 chests as a result.
Does this mesh with what you have been tracking?

ossuary
05-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Hmm, it's possible, but then wouldn't my card count be short 30 cards from my expectations, too? It appears from my end as though I got all my cards, but didn't get the chests from 2 packs (just the chests). Is there some way they could have been marked open incorrectly, so didn't process the full transaction event, but still generated just the cards?

I think I have opened 91 packs including drafts based on my records, and my card count seems to corroborate that fact, but the DB says I only opened 89, and I have 89 chests.

I'm not sure how the free draft packs appear in the DB, if they get deposited to the inventory and then immediately opened or if they're completely separate, but according to what I've tracked, I ought to be showing 110 unopened booster packs out of 198 total ever possessed (88 opened), and 1 unopened primal pack out of 4 total ever possessed (3 opened). If the free draft ticket ones are separate it would be 110/186 normal, 1/4 primal, and the 12 draft packs.

ossuary
05-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Hoping for a response today, DataDragon, whenever you are in. It seems like the 2 packs you found that were marked opened but actually weren't is the most likely culprit; I just want to make sure my problem can still be explained by that bug given that my card count is correct and only my treasure chest count is off. If that bug could have somehow resulted in a partial transaction instead of a complete one, then we have a winner. If not, there may be another bug associated with it.

Is there any way you can get the system to clear those 2 bugged packs out and just give me 2 random treasure chests without having to give me 2 full packs? You guys don't actually owe me packs, it's just the treasure chests I'm missing. Though of course I'm not going to complain if it's just easier to "unbug" the 2 packs and restore them in full, or what have you. :)

DataDragon
05-27-2014, 11:42 AM
The two odd chests have been reset. Since they were done as part of what looks like a tournament, you got the cards but not the chests.
Don't worry about extra cards though.

ossuary
05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
OK, sounds good to me. I'm glad you figured out where it came from so it won't happen again. Thanks again. :)

I assume the permanent fix for that will be going in the next patch?

DataDragon
05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Yup. WoF got a rewrite to better handle this sort of thing.
Luckily, the database knows all.

ossuary
05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
edit: wrong thread

uh... all hail the database! :)