PDA

View Full Version : Time Ripple and Assigning Damage

bampf
05-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm confused about how assigning damage works. I thought it came after Defense priority but it doesn't appear to function that way.

My troop was blocked by another troop. I played time ripple during the defense priority to return the blocking troop to owners hand. During assign damage my unblocked troops damage was not assigned to the opposing champion. What am I missing?

Xexist
05-15-2014, 07:52 PM
There is no 'unblock'. Once blocked, it has been blocked, nothing you do to the troop after the fact changes that.

bampf
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
So it seems assign damage phase isn't actually when damage is assigned. Regardless if the troop counts as blocked there is no valid target blocking him to assign damage onto so why wouldn't the damage be assigned to the opposing champion? I'm also curious if the same rules I've encountered would apply to a troop with crush?

AswanJaguar
05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
If it helps, think of the combat procedure like this:

You send your troops across a long, wide field towards your opponent's stronghold where their champion is. If he doesn't assign blockers or mess with your troops in any way, they make it across the field and damage the stronghold. If he does assign blockers, the blocked troops are confronted on the field and the unblocked troops head on to the stronghold to deal damage. If you then Time Ripple or otherwise remove the blocker(s), no combat happens there but it's too late for blocked troops to catch up and damage the stronghold. By the time they are freed up, it's time to retreat to their own domain along with the troops who made it through to deal damage to the stronghold.

Troops with Crush still apply full damage to the stronghold when their blockers disappear. This is because they stomp across the field regardless of what blocks them and are only prevent from doing damage to the stronghold by enough last-ditch defense. They are simply bigger, stronger or smarter than your average troop and more effective in dealing damage to strongholds.

Turtlewing
05-16-2014, 04:20 AM
So it seems assign damage phase isn't actually when damage is assigned. Regardless if the troop counts as blocked there is no valid target blocking him to assign damage onto so why wouldn't the damage be assigned to the opposing champion? I'm also curious if the same rules I've encountered would apply to a troop with crush?

Hex doesn't really have an "assign damage" step in the sense that Magic does. The declare defense step is where combat damage targets are selected.

I think of it like this:
The target of the damage is assigned during the declare blockers step. Once blockers are declared you can't retarget your damage (you get once chance to choose the order in which you target multi-blockers but that's it). Bouncing a troop at this point removes it from combat but doesn't let you select another target for your damage (just like bouncing a troop that was targeted with an action doesn't let the action retarget).

The Crush FAQ specifically states that if all troops blocking a troop with crush are removed from combat the troop with crush deals its damage to the champion so it should be an exception to this behavior (not really an exception but more an interaction that looks like an exception)

If you want to prevent a troop from blocking by bouncing it you have to bounce it on the declare attackers step (or before) so that it can't be selected as a blocker.