PDA

View Full Version : Thank you WotC!

thedevilsjester
05-16-2014, 08:13 AM
I have been trying to find a virtual card game with a MTG level of strategy for quite awhile now. Every game that I end up playing (like SolForge or Hearthstone) generally turn into a card based brawl with little tactics involved. I found Infinity Wars recently and it was "ok" (it seems like every deck was equally overpowered resulting in a "whoever gets their setup first, will dominate" game). And then I read about WotC suing Hex because they think its too similar...just what I was looking for!

If WotC thinks so highly of this game, well then, I look forward to its release! Thank you WotC for recommending Hex.

Gwaer
05-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the forum! These are exciting times. Please excuse the mess.

halfwing
05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Its funny because in a recent interview, Cory said he wasn't going to use any of the campaign funds for marketing, because he wants all of it to go back into the game. And now we know why!

Hasbro is pulling off a much better advertising campaign then a small company like Hex ever could!

Kami
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM
It's like watching a corporate level chess game. I'm actually imagining pieces moving across the board at the moment. :)

Welcome too btw. =^_^=

Pheelon
05-16-2014, 08:59 AM
welcome ... said the spider to the fly

AdamAoE2
05-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the community Jester! :)

ossuary
05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Hello and welcome.

Please pardon our dust while we change to serve you better. :)

rjselzler
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Welcome aboard! Make sure to put in for a Beta key and check out the various Twitch streamers to possibly secure one early. Hex is already awesome and is set to get even... awesomer. ; )

Jacklau89
05-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Welcome to Hex!:) I believe you will soon get a taste of the prospect it offers and love it as much as we all do.

Jinxies
05-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing you in game ^__^

Yoss
05-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the game!

Saeijou
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Thats positive thinking! :D

thedevilsjester
05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Welcome aboard! Make sure to put in for a Beta key and check out the various Twitch streamers to possibly secure one early. Hex is already awesome and is set to get even... awesomer. ; )
I have signed up for the mailing list in hopes that I might be selected for a key, I'll cross my fingers but not hold my breath!

I look forward to playing, thank you all for the warm welcome!

I read a little about Hex awhile back, but because it was in closed beta, I just passed it by and did not really look too much into the game. I hope that more good (publicity for Hex) comes from the WotC thing. I can't be the only one that was convinced to try Hex from WotC's 'endorsement'!

Dynimix
05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Welcome to HEX!

DuroNL
05-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Welcome a board, please keep your arms and legs inside, and enjoy the ride! ;)

Cheers,
Duro

thedevilsjester
05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Thank you all! I have a beta code now. Quite a welcoming community!

nicosharp
05-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Dat advertisement... So priceless.

Kersed
05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Welcome.. I'm pretty sure anyone that plays MTGO will eventually be like wow so that's what an online TCG should look like.. MTGO is the crappiest looking game ever and their new client is even worse.

rjselzler
05-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Thank you all! I have a beta code now. Quite a welcoming community!

+1 for Hex's community, IMO. Hopefully I'll see you in a draft, Jester.

thedevilsjester
05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome.. I'm pretty sure anyone that plays MTGO will eventually be like wow so that's what an online TCG should look like.. MTGO is the crappiest looking game ever and their new client is even worse.

I have not played much MTGO, but I have been playing MTG since the early 90's (casually), and loved the Magic: The Gathering (1997) game, which let you play with cards from the very first sets, and had a great single player/PVE mode. I was disappointed that MTGO didnt let you buy cards from the first 20 or so sets, and had no real PVE mode. Also being a primarily physical card game, MTG video games tend to be hobbled a bit by reality, something that a card game born in a digital age can hopefully break free from.

TJTaylor
05-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the community!

tanis0
05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I found out about HEX the same way. They need to add an Ultra-Slacker, F-U WOT-C Backer deal. :D

rjselzler
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
I found out about HEX the same way. They need to add an Ultra-Slacker, F-U WOT-C Backer deal. :D

Open Beta should be soon(ish); welcome aboard!

negativeZer0
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
New Hex Package announced:

Thanks for the Free Advertising
Thanks to the fine folks at WOTC we have had some new faces around the site and wish to welcome our new members with this special starter package.

Come on hex staff make this a real thing I know you want to...

Speaking of which today's Friday we might actually hear from Hex on this lawsuit issue in the weekly update.

Yoss
05-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Come on hex staff make this a real thing I know you want to...

...listen to your legal counsel and not random forum ideas that could get you in trouble.

Ertzi
05-16-2014, 02:29 PM
"Mae govannen. You are most welcome." Both of you ^_^

I was just about to write something like "prepare to be amazed with the community", but you already acknowledged the truth of it :) See you in game!

Alequel
05-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Ello, Welcome, so nice to hear some good come out of all this greediness. I am sure you will enjoy Hex very much. I have been playing MtG since '99 and I can see why WotC wants Hex to shut down, it is just so much better in so many levels that they are afraid of losing a huge chunk of their players, especially the ones invested in their horrible MtG:O client.

Gulbech
05-17-2014, 03:00 AM
Yeah welcome.all to a great game.

And please take a look at the kickstarter and cory Jones blog, too see some if the awesome things they are working to implement.:)

Sadeyx
05-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Yes!! Thank WotC!!

I didn't know about this game until I saw some fuss about a law suit. At first I was morbidly curious to see how much like MTG it was (mtg player since Artifacts) saw a couple of gamers with some videos on youtube but they didn't really explain the game well. I was about pass-by when I saw the gamespot video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU5GtAMZImc)

The dev guy there did a beautiful job of explaining everything very clearly without overhypeing it or being cheesy in general and showed off an awesome match that I found myself being very involved in, pausing and reading the cards and coming up with what I would do, really exciting!

I'm Sold! Thank you WotC for pointing me in the right direction! ... I always hated how WotC sold Planeswalker and disapointed they didn't add more customization or made more use of the 'digital' capabilities.

Of course WotC are crapping themselves right now, this game IS in fact better. Their lawsuit pretty much results in the death of any scrap of interest I personally have left in MTG.

As for similarities? well I see some small aspects of the game that are similar, but the heavy use of the Digital features, pve and mmo aspects, to me make the game entirely different. So I cant myself see what their main argument would be, all I can guess is that some of the art and maybe some of the naming of cards may infringe on some copyrights.. but the game itself is way different from my view.

My only disappointment? I cant play yet :( CAN I HAZ KEYSZ PLS *watery eyes*

ossuary
05-17-2014, 04:49 AM
Welcome to you as well, Sadeyx.

Sadly there's no guaranteed way to get access to the game right at this moment, due to it being in Closed Beta. But we have heard that the devs will be letting in some more people soon, so be sure to go to http://www.hextcg.com and click on the Closed Beta banner to sign up for a chance to get a key. You can also watch some of our awesome streamers from the community over on twitch, CZE has been giving some of them beta keys to give away as contents on their channels - you might be able to snag one that way as well.

Good luck! :)

whythelastman
05-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Happy to see good come out of it :) welcome.

Labatyd
05-17-2014, 11:15 AM
I have been trying to find a virtual card game with a MTG level of strategy for quite awhile now. Every game that I end up playing (like SolForge or Hearthstone) generally turn into a card based brawl with little tactics involved. I found Infinity Wars recently and it was "ok" (it seems like every deck was equally overpowered resulting in a "whoever gets their setup first, will dominate" game). And then I read about WotC suing Hex because they think its too similar...just what I was looking for!

If WotC thinks so highly of this game, well then, I look forward to its release! Thank you WotC for recommending Hex.

this is exactly what i first thought when i read about Hasbro/WotC suing Hex. They are playing with fire here imho since losing that case would basicly legitimate Hex as a suitable replacement for their own abyssmal product that is MTGO. Either way this is the best possible advertisement that Hex could have hoped for :D I certainly look forward to its release now!

thedevilsjester
05-18-2014, 07:19 AM
this is exactly what i first thought when i read about Hasbro/WotC suing Hex. They are playing with fire here imho since losing that case would basicly legitimate Hex as a suitable replacement for their own abyssmal product that is MTGO. Either way this is the best possible advertisement that Hex could have hoped for :D I certainly look forward to its release now!

Losing or Winning, they still legitimize Hex as an alternative. Winning would simply mean that Hex has to change some behaviors subtly to comply with whatever the rulings find.

Often times rulings in cases like this (from my experience) make no real impact on the end users. For example two of the major Apple vs Samsung rulings. 1. Slide to Unlock, was replaced with a circle that you drag your finger out of instead of a straight line that you drag your finger over. 2. Bounce Back, was replaced with a tilt and glow. Both of these were major points in Apples case that they won, and both of these were trivially replaced with (arguably better) solutions that still provide the same end results to the user. Losing does not mean you have to shut the game down, or completely redesign it, often it simply means that you have to make small changes that side step their claim.

Rapkannibale
05-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Welcome! Good to have you!

Thepsis
05-18-2014, 01:41 PM
welcome to you all :)

YourOpponent
05-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Welcome aboard newbies...after being inspired by your excitement...I think I will redownload MTGO and give them Hell!

frychikn
05-18-2014, 09:33 PM
goodness.... so much optimism.

Fyren
05-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Oh, how the Streisand Effect burns.

Anyway, yes, I'm glad I've discovered this game! I look forward to receiving my beta key and joining you in a world of deep strategy and evil samurai rabbits. ^.^/

Kardh
05-19-2014, 03:56 AM
when I saw the gamespot video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU5GtAMZImc)

The dev guy there did a beautiful job of explaining everything very clearly without overhypeing it or being cheesy in general and showed off an awesome match that I found myself being very involved in, pausing and reading the cards and coming up with what I would do, really exciting!

I had forgotten about the Cory videos. Cory is great. I want more videos!

Welcome guys!

In the mean time you can hang around the streamers on twitch (http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/HEX%3A%20Shards%20of%20Fate) and hope to pick up a key there too. I don't think they have any just yet, but it could be any day now that they get some to give away.

Crystalis
05-19-2014, 08:49 AM
For those just finding Hex, currently a key giveaway happening with 500 keys. First come first served. Good Luck and Welcome.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/new_games/news/242783/

Edit: Sounds like they ran out of keys, this is the second time they have done this giveaway in roughly a month so likely not the last.

Labatyd
05-19-2014, 12:01 PM
i suppose the keys are already gone. i just sent me a -999 key that is obviously invalid and doesn't work