PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the fittest vs Swiftstrike

ylhos
05-20-2014, 06:30 AM
I just had an incident where my 4/1 swiftstiker died to a normal 4/2 using survival of the fittest.

Bug or intended?

ossuary
05-20-2014, 07:25 AM
When troops "battle" they just do their damage to each other. This ignores abilities like swiftstrike, flight, and crush. Those abilities are only used during COMBAT, which is not the same thing as battling. This is not a bug. :)

ylhos
05-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Ah I see. Thanks. Now I now what not to do next time lol

Vengus
05-20-2014, 07:45 AM
The only exception is Lifedrain, that one triggers off any damage a troop does, including the damage they do through Survival of the Fittest.

ossuary
05-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Yeah, lifedrain is a special exception, because it's all damage, not combat-specific damage. If you manage to give Claw of the Mountain God lifedrain, for example, it deals 2 damage to you and then immediately heals you for 2 at the start of your turn (effectively negating its penalty, as long as you never drop to 2 life or less :)).

Svenn
05-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Yeah, lifedrain is a special exception, because it's all damage, not combat-specific damage. If you manage to give Claw of the Mountain God lifedrain, for example, it deals 2 damage to you and then immediately heals you for 2 at the start of your turn (effectively negating its penalty, as long as you never drop to 2 life or less :)).

I somehow never thought of this... My planned Orc deck just got way better.

ossuary
05-20-2014, 08:42 AM
That combo is copyrighted. I will sue you if you use it. :p

3volution
05-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Just FYI, even if you are at 2 or less health, you will not die in that situation.

ossuary
05-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Oh really? You used to. Taking damage and then gaining life from lifedrain are two distinct functions (that both happen back to back, automatically). Have you actually confirmed this in client recently? Or is it just an assumption?

Disordia
05-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Oh really? You used to. Taking damage and then gaining life from lifedrain are two distinct functions (that both happen back to back, automatically). Have you actually confirmed this in client recently? Or is it just an assumption?

This is how lifedrain is designed to work. If you find an instance where this is not the case, then that is a bug.

Also, saying lifedrain is a special exception is not an accurate way to describe it. The issue here is puerile don't understand what swiftstrike actually is. A quick thought may lead to concept of swiftstrike as something that lets a troop deal it's damage first.

What it actually is is a specific step during the combat phase before damage step, and any troop with swiftstrike deals it's damage during that step instead of the normal damage step.

So with that in mind, swiftstrike does nothing outside of the swiftstrike damage step.

Now if they implement something like deathtouch or anything else that affects damage, it will also apply in a battle.