PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Draft

laborlawlarry
05-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Can we please get it added soon? For those of us who are terrible drafters ... being able to play a more relaxed draft would be nice. :)

Thrawn
05-20-2014, 09:29 AM
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35067

Werlix
05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Can we please get it added soon? For those of us who are terrible drafters ... being able to play a more relaxed draft would be nice. :)

I'm keen for Swiss drafts. I consider myself a competitive player but I still hate losing first round and the draft being over. At least give me the chance to come back and make it 2-1 :)

zadies
05-20-2014, 02:16 PM
First they need to get swiss matchmaking to work correctly in the current tournies.

primer
05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
It is working. I was told in game they are waiting for enough people to warrant 2 draft queues.

Thing is they can keep their beta codes, no way i'm letting my friends try elimination drafts when they first join the game. This is the quickest way to get people to leave the game, give them nothing and expect them to draft vs people from alpha. No thanks.

Saeijou
05-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Asynchronous draft has a higher priority for me... I don't have the time for a 3,5h draft during the week :/ :D

laborlawlarry
05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
First they need to get swiss matchmaking to work correctly in the current tournies.

It works with sealed.

zadies
05-20-2014, 06:01 PM
No no it does not work with sealed... it is possible for two people to end up with 3-0 records because the game is not currently matching based on wins.

Werlix
05-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Asynchronous draft has a higher priority for me... I don't have the time for a 3,5h draft during the week :/ :D

Asynchronous draft isn't happening, and it's not really possible either.

Asynchronous sealed is something that CZE has said they'd like to implement however.

primer
05-20-2014, 06:48 PM
No no it does not work with sealed... it is possible for two people to end up with 3-0 records because the game is not currently matching based on wins.

That is working as intended. The game picks the match order at the time of drafting and yes this means, like I experienced, a 0-2 guy can play a 2-0 guy in the final round. I came 7th and won a pack with a 0-3 record.

Here is the ticket:

"Tourney 11046. The matchmaking didn't work correctly. It saw people who lost round 1 playing people who won round 1 resulting is a weird results table.

As the screenshot shows two people won 3 games and two people won 0 games."

And reply:

"Thank you for contacting HEX Customer Support. The matchmaking process is automatically worked out upon entering the draft, this does not change depending on the decks used in this situation. For your case with the screenshot provided. Both of you should have received the same rewards as you've both technically been placed in the same result field."

zadies
05-20-2014, 08:03 PM
That is gameforge not knowing how swiss matchmaking is supposed to work. If data, Rex, Cory or another cze person wants to come say it is working how it should then I'll shut up, but working how it is currently coded is all gameforge said there but that does not mean correctly or as intended.

primer
05-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Considering all tickets are: 'handled by GameOperator.' and its signed 'Best regards, Vian, HEX Support Team' I don't think GameForge has much to do with answering game questions.

Werlix
05-20-2014, 08:27 PM
That is working as intended. The game picks the match order at the time of drafting and yes this means, like I experienced, a 0-2 guy can play a 2-0 guy in the final round. I came 7th and won a pack with a 0-3 record.

Here is the ticket:

"Tourney 11046. The matchmaking didn't work correctly. It saw people who lost round 1 playing people who won round 1 resulting is a weird results table.

As the screenshot shows two people won 3 games and two people won 0 games."

And reply:

"Thank you for contacting HEX Customer Support. The matchmaking process is automatically worked out upon entering the draft, this does not change depending on the decks used in this situation. For your case with the screenshot provided. Both of you should have received the same rewards as you've both technically been placed in the same result field."

That's not Swiss. That's not even Mexico.

zadies
05-21-2014, 04:42 AM
Gameforge has a team of support agents that have been trained specifically for hex thus saying they are hex support does not mean they work for cze directly.
Basing your claims that swiss match making is actually acting like swiss matchmaking on a ticket where the person obviously doesn't know what swiss means doesn't mean that it is working like a swiss tournament should it only means the current implementation is working as coded and it is coded wrong.

laborlawlarry
05-21-2014, 07:41 AM
That is gameforge not knowing how swiss matchmaking is supposed to work. If data, Rex, Cory or another cze person wants to come say it is working how it should then I'll shut up, but working how it is currently coded is all gameforge said there but that does not mean correctly or as intended.

If it wasn't working as intended, why allow joining Swiss Sealed? Presumably, they would have it closed just like they have Swiss Draft closed. It doesn't make sense to close one because it is "broken," but allow the exact same "broken" issue to proceed in another tournament.

Xenavire
05-21-2014, 08:20 AM
If it wasn't working as intended, why allow joining Swiss Sealed? Presumably, they would have it closed just like they have Swiss Draft closed. It doesn't make sense to close one because it is "broken," but allow the exact same "broken" issue to proceed in another tournament.

They have already said that the matchmaking is broken. They never gave a reason, but I assume they are leaving it open so people can actually play sealed properly (you still get your games, even if the prize pool is wonky.)

laborlawlarry
05-21-2014, 10:25 AM
They have already said that the matchmaking is broken. They never gave a reason, but I assume they are leaving it open so people can actually play sealed properly (you still get your games, even if the prize pool is wonky.)

Then why not open up Swiss Draft, (even if the prize pool is wonky), so that us terrible noobs (and now all the new Beta key holders) don't get so frustrated constantly getting blown out of the water in round one. :)

If you're willing to allow people to play a broken system in one format, there is no reason not to allow it in the second format -- particularly where it will help soften some of the harsher aspects of the PVP side of the game for newer players.

Xenavire
05-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Then why not open up Swiss Draft, (even if the prize pool is wonky), so that us terrible noobs (and now all the new Beta key holders) don't get so frustrated constantly getting blown out of the water in round one. :)

If you're willing to allow people to play a broken system in one format, there is no reason not to allow it in the second format -- particularly where it will help soften some of the harsher aspects of the PVP side of the game for newer players.

Because multiple draft queues existing at the same time will make it harder to get either one to fire. It still takes about 10 minutes at times, add a second queue and that could double or triple.

I know it can be daunting, but actually jumping in and learning the ropes isn't that bad. I tried it in beta, but I only got in a few test drafts, and the beta was actually more forgiving because there are so many new players and raredrafters grabbing bad rares.

Rendakor
05-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Quote from Cory in the other swiss draft thread:

We will get it in as soon as possible, we have pairings bug with Swiss draft, I hope it's fixed next week. As with everything we push forward inch by inch, I also want it it to be faster, but at least its moving... Even if it's Slowly
So there is a pairing bug; maybe it isn't present in Sealed, maybe it is (haven't played sealed since alpha).

Incindium
05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
The two Sealed matches I played looked to have proper payouts. So the bug evidently doesn't always rear its head in Sealed.

McCrush
05-22-2014, 12:13 AM
I could very well imagine that the pairing bug in Sealed is connected to giving the BYEs wrongly.

In the case that I observed once in a sealed tournament, one player dropped after the first round, such that there was a BYE in the second round. IIRC this was given to one of the players who had won their first round, resulting in the bad situation that there were three players who had won the first two games...

BYEs must be given to one of the worstly placed participants that did not already receive a BYE. Otherwise you can run into some bad situations with the pairings.

Just to be clear, I am not sure that this is the swiss bug. It's just my idea of what could be the reason for the problems based on my observations.

Tinfoil
05-22-2014, 04:24 AM
I could very well imagine that the pairing bug in Sealed is connected to giving the BYEs wrongly.

In the case that I observed once in a sealed tournament, one player dropped after the first round, such that there was a BYE in the second round. IIRC this was given to one of the players who had won their first round, resulting in the bad situation that there were three players who had won the first two games...

BYEs must be given to one of the worstly placed participants that did not already receive a BYE. Otherwise you can run into some bad situations with the pairings.

Just to be clear, I am not sure that this is the swiss bug. It's just my idea of what could be the reason for the problems based on my observations.

I don't know if its always the *bye* that is the problem, but it did happen to me in the Swiss I played. Two of us ended up with a 3-0 record, but the other guy won the tournament. One of his wins was against a *bye*.

zadies
05-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Per the gameforge response the issue is the matching is done for all games before the first game is even played it is not taking into account win/loss ratio at all so some games may look fine but the 2-0 ppl aren't being matched because they are 2-0.

cferejohn
05-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Per the gameforge response the issue is the matching is done for all games before the first game is even played it is not taking into account win/loss ratio at all so some games may look fine but the 2-0 ppl aren't being matched because they are 2-0.

Swiss is a defined style of tournament. It does not work this way. If that's how it is going to work it should be called "Round Robin" or something, because it isn't swiss. That said several HEX folks on these forums have said it's a bug.

katkillad
05-23-2014, 07:39 AM
People saying they shouldn't put swiss draft in because they might have to wait seconds longer in the 5/3/2/2 are being pretty selfish. What's the best way to push new people away? Make them play a single elimination draft and once they lose they are done for good, rather than having an option for them to get practice in.

Swiss draft or RIOT!

mudkip
05-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Swiss draft or RIOT!

Why not both?

BlindMan
05-23-2014, 04:34 PM
You’ll see Swiss Booster Draft coming in the next patch.

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-upcoming-features/

:)

zadies
05-23-2014, 09:42 PM
It also states that there is a bug in matchmaking they need to fix.

ylhos
05-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Now we just need to find an answer to when the next patch is due :)