PDA

View Full Version : New Champions

S117
05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
First off this is not a rumors thread. I haven't heard CZE's position on new champs yes or no. I'm just wondering if we will get a few new ones in new sets. Kind of wondering what other people would like to see in a new one.

What I'd like to see is resource production. Likely a Wild shard champ naturally. I don't know if they found one hard to balance or not. The cost would have to be low enough that you could trigger it earlier enough for it to matter. But then...temporary? Or permanent?

Something like: 3 WW -> Gain 0/1 (0/2 too strong? I think probably)
or temporary? like: 3WW -> Gain 2/0 (Still too strong? Possibly why they didn't do any at all)

hex_colin
05-22-2014, 10:10 PM
First off this is not a rumors thread. I haven't heard CZE's position on new champs yes or no. I'm just wondering if we will get a few new ones in new sets. Kind of wondering what other people would like to see in a new one.

There will be new champions at some point in time. There's even a thread discussing it in this very forum! :)

Scammanator
05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I'd like to something along the lines of "2 Charges, W: Gain [1/0]. This power permanently costs 1 extra charge."

Might be a better fit for Blood or Ruby, though.

poizonous
05-23-2014, 01:21 AM
I heard at one time that Champions will cycle with Sets. no idea how correct this is but it is what was said during Alpha stages

bootlace
05-23-2014, 02:48 AM
If they're going to make champions that aid with resource production, there needs to be one in all shards:

Spend X charges and ..

Wild: Gain 0/1 resource
Blood: Gain a blood threshold
Sapphire: The first card you play this turn costs 1 less resource
Ruby: Gain 1/0 resource
Diamond: Gain 1/1 resource if your opponent has more resources than you

ossuary
05-23-2014, 03:51 AM
There will be new champions introduced from time to time, probably every couple of sets or maybe once a year with core sets, and I would say there is a pretty good chance that champions will also cycle out now and then just like cards do.

mudkip
05-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I seriously hope there isn't a champion that makes resources, unless it's a one-shot. The charge is either so expensive it's useless or so cheap it's OP.

If there is one, it would be cool if it was a colourless champion too, that way it could help with 5-colour decks.

cferejohn
05-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I seriously hope there isn't a champion that makes resources, unless it's a one-shot. The charge is either so expensive it's useless or so cheap it's OP.

If there is one, it would be cool if it was a colourless champion too, that way it could help with 5-colour decks.

I could a champion that makes *threshold* not being too overpowered (maybe with the caveat of "of a resource currently in your deck").

Ju66ernaut
05-23-2014, 08:48 AM
I heard at one time that Champions will cycle...

I thought I heard this too. Whether that notion originated from Cory in real life or the Cory I regularly hang out with in my dreams, I am not certain.

hex_colin
05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought I heard this too. Whether that notion originated from Cory in real life or the Cory I regularly hang out with in my dreams, I am not certain.

There will definitely be new champions. Whether or not the old ones will cycle out is still TBD.

negativeZer0
05-23-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm guessing we will see Blocks similar to the way MTG works (3 sets to a block)
I predict champions will rotate/new ones come out at the start of a block.

Making new champions for each set doesn't seem like a viable plan to me and I think this method is much better for the game.

issowi
05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
I think the idea is interesting but how do you balance it with charge bots, hex engine, etc? Along with this being only set 1 there will be new mechanics added, search type cards etc. I could see a champion power boosting resources along get out of control quickly.

MugenMusou
05-23-2014, 11:37 AM

What I'd like to see is resource production. Likely a Wild shard champ naturally. I don't know if they found one hard to balance or not. The cost would have to be low enough that you could trigger it earlier enough for it to matter. But then...temporary? Or permanent?

Something like: 3 WW -> Gain 0/1 (0/2 too strong? I think probably)
or temporary? like: 3WW -> Gain 2/0 (Still too strong? Possibly why they didn't do any at all)

I think this is where the advantage of using Champion as a representation of player kicks in.

You can adjust different things. For instance, the resource gain ability as you stated are indeed powerful and perhaps too powerful. So give a enough risk or pay back. This can come not only with a ability restriction but also you can utilize the using the Champion's health i.e. instead of starting 20, start with lower, and perhaps for the ability usage take a health away or let them lose a card from hand i.e. now game becomes like WoW TCG, or as a part of text just say you start with 1 less card in hand etc. :)

Basically, having a champion allows manipulation of the starting condition even on the official game without changing the whole game's rule or coming up with different format.

The potential is out there, I think.

halfwing
05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
during the KS they mentioned the champions will cycle out every set, however I hope they stay legal for the full block, with each set just adding more.

I could a champion that makes *threshold* not being too overpowered (maybe with the caveat of "of a resource currently in your deck").
I could see that coming once multishard cards get added. Would probably be a necrotic, looking at Midnight Shepard and Lixil.