PDA

View Full Version : Spellshielding an opponent's Troop

darkwonders
05-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Right now spellshield checks to see who the owner of the troop is before determining whether or not it blocks an action. That's fine under most circumstances.

However, it could add a whole new layer of strategy if spellshield would ignore where the troop came from and instead focused on where the ability itself came from. This would keep most things normal. A troop that already has spellshield wouldn't act any different.

The thing that would change would be how soft counters work. Right now Arcane Shield can be used as a weaker version of counterspell when an opponent targets one of your Troops with an action. If spellshield checks to see the origin of itself, Arcane Shield could also be used to prevent an opponent from buffing their own creatures.

Thoughts? Or would this be too complicated of a feature to implement and have people mentally keep track of too?

Frankly I think spellshield should prevent all target-able cards as that would provide a trade-off of what you value- the creature, or being able to buff it.

Gwaer
05-24-2014, 02:52 PM
It's a cool idea, doubt they'll find it worth the programming to change it, but I'd be down for it. A bit complicated to the new player, also you'd need a way to visually distinguish spellshields that are friendly to you on your opponents field.

Shirik
05-24-2014, 03:05 PM
In WoWTCG, two different keywords existed: Spellshield and Untargetable. Spellshield acted exactly as it is in hex, but Untargetable acted the way you describe. I would not be at all surprised if an Untargetable showed up sometime in the future.

Gwaer
05-24-2014, 06:22 PM
MTG has the same thing as well. Shroud vs hexproof.

I just think it's be pretty cool if a single card did both things depending on if cast on your troop or the opponents.

Or even more like what the OP suggested, allow you to still cast on it, while they cannot. So I might decide I want hit someones orc that is dealing them 2 damage a round with a spellshield, now I can still cast on it, but they can't. So If I draw an inner conflict later I can pop it on there, and then they'll have to board wipe to get rid of it. It's just a neat idea. But I agree we'll almost certainly see an untargetable eventually.

Kami
05-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Imagine combining this type of mechanic with cards that you give control to your opponent that are disadvantageous to them. Now that they 'own' your card, they can't get rid of it to save themselves. :P

darkwonders
05-24-2014, 06:33 PM
We could definitely come up with some interesting twists on the rules because this IS a purely digital game. As long as it can be coded, you could easily mark things to denote specific interactions. I just think it'd be cool to have soft counters in the game.

Rendakor
05-24-2014, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't mind them introducing a new card or mechanic that works the way OP suggests. But, changing how Arcane Shield works now that the card is live goes against CZE's promise not to alter cards that we own.

Gwaer
05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
That's not technically true. They can change the rules of how spellshield works. All of the cards with spellshield will still have spellshield, just that mechanic has changed in some way. Rules passes like that are specifically allowed.

Zomnivore
05-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Honestly I think it would be interesting.

Especially because its a defensive tool used awkwardly in an offensive manner. Like transform, revert.

I like the idea of a powerful enemy bomb getting turned into an angel because the alternative is worse.

Stormlight
05-25-2014, 08:59 PM
I played in a draft where my only answer to an opponent's Eternal Guardian was to transform it into an angel... I ended just barely losing, but it was one of my favorite draft games. Using cards in ways you don't normally think of is fun.

Xexist
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
I played in a draft where my only answer to an opponent's Eternal Guardian was to transform it into an angel... I ended just barely losing, but it was one of my favorite draft games. Using cards in ways you don't normally think of is fun.

I played a game where I was ALMOST able to kill one, then use call the grave and steal it and play it myself lol. The look on his (digital) face would have been great :p

Rendakor
05-26-2014, 08:31 AM
I played in a draft where my only answer to an opponent's Eternal Guardian was to transform it into an angel... I ended just barely losing, but it was one of my favorite draft games. Using cards in ways you don't normally think of is fun.I had someone try that on my Argus, but a) it didn't prevent the me voiding something because it was already on the chain and b) I killed him with it anyway.

halfwing
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
The thing with changing it to ability source instead of cards controller, is what happens when you steal a card?

For example, if an opponent has a Feral Beast in play (source of ability: itself, from the player who played it), and then you were to play some non-targeting card steal ability ("Gain control of all troops target player controls until end of turn." or something like that), then who does it shield from? The new controller, or the old one? One could argue that it would be the original controller, because they were the source of the ability.

It gets kind of intuitive in those situations. I think the best option would be to have a new keyword that is the opposite of Spellshield, and call it "Barrier" or something like that. "This troop cannot be targeted by non-opposing actions and abilities." It could be used on cards similar to arcane shield to block buffs to a troop, maybe have some really cheap ones that only last until the end of turn, and can even open up new design space for some neat cards. Imagine some cheaply costed, but pretty big troops, that have Barrier+ a detrimental effect, as the 'drawback' of the card. It could have some potential.

LunaPark
05-28-2014, 08:09 AM
i like the idea of being able to use spellshield on ur opponents

Zomnivore
05-29-2014, 02:26 AM
Eh.......

Either way it could just be a new ability later.

Sall good either way I'm sure the concepts probably good enough.

elfstone
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
yah those are always fun. I monkeyed an opposing Uruunaz once in draft :p