PDA

View Full Version : Crush and Shellsafe Sure Shot damage prevention - prevented damage hits champion

hacky
05-25-2014, 04:15 AM
Something is wrong with Crush and damage prevention.

-----

Family Name: Hacky
Tournament ID: 13679 (Draft), Round 1 Game 1

I blocked a troop with 5 ATK and Crush with a Shellsafe Sure Shot with 5 ATK and 3 DEF. I used the troop's pet to prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to the Shellsafe Sure Shot (its master). After the attack damage resolved, the Shellsafe Sure Shot took 2 damage (1 health left), and my champion took 3 damage.

This makes zero sense -- the 3 damage that was supposed to be prevented was dealt to my champion.

This was caught live on stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/hackychannel/b/531924145?t=1h13m30s
The attack in question occured at 1:14:33

I went over the recorded video of that attack to confirm what occurred:
http://www.twitch.tv/hackychannel/b/531924145?t=1h37m21s

I don't know if this would have ultimately changed the tournament results of this round. Let me know if I should file for a compensation draft ticket for this bug.

-----

With any interpretation of Crush and damage prevention happening, I can't explain why the above occurs. In the videos, I expected to be alive with 2 health left, but instead I was dead with -1 health, and the Shellsafe Sure Shot was alive with 1 health. Which means, the Shellsafe did not have fatal damage on it, but somehow crush still happened, and completely ignored the damage prevention.

It also could possibly have interacted weirdly with the Shellsafe having one extra health.

NOTE: I've read a bit of the other thread about Crush and Flock of Seagulls, but did not notice anything concerning a finite amount of damage prevention. http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35557&highlight=shellsafe+shot

Marsden
05-25-2014, 04:27 AM
Fatal damage was dealt to the Shellsafe, it's just that during the resolution of the damage 3 of it was subsequently prevented.

So you take 2 from Crush, and it was then prevented from dying by the turtle pet.
But that doesn't change the Crush calculation. I think that's working correctly, tbh.

hacky
05-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Fatal damage was dealt to the Shellsafe, it's just that during the resolution of the damage 3 of it was subsequently prevented.

So you take 2 from Crush, and it was then prevented from dying by the turtle pet.
But that doesn't change the Crush calculation. I think that's working correctly, tbh.

The problem with this, is that if fatal damage was dealt to the Shellsafe, then I would have taken 2 damage. But I took 3 damage.

If crush occurred before the damage prevention, the final result should have been Shellsafe takes 0 damage, Champion takes 2 damage. But that didn't happen: Shellsafe took 2 damage, Champion took 3 damage.

If crush occurred after the damage prevention, then what I expected would have happened: Shellsafe takes 2 damage, Champion takes 0 damage.

Marsden
05-25-2014, 04:39 AM
Oh. 3 damage! I see. Sorry, I missed that. Definitely something is wrong then.

I think there is a problem with the crush damage calculation, it's deciding that Crush is happening and that the champion will take 'ATK - Damage taken by the blocker' but that calculation is being done after prevention, so here it's doing 5 - 2 and passing 3 on to the champion.

Thinking more about how Seagulls works, it should be doing what you expected. Prevention should be stopping the crush completely.

hacky
05-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Just to make the entire situation clear...

Original Situation:
2/2 Flight unblocked
2/3 blocked by 2/1
5/5 Crush blocked by 1/3
5/5 Crush blocked by 5/3 (3 damage prevention)
My champion at 6 health

What I expected:
2/2 deals 2 damage to champion
2/3 deals 2 damage to 2/1 -> 2/-1 (troop dies)
5/5 crush deals 3 damage to 1/3 -> 1/0 (troop dies) and 2 damage to champion
5/5 crush deals 5 damage (3 prevented) to 5/3 -> 5/1
Champion 6 health -> 2 health

What actually happened:
2/2 deals 2 damage to champion
2/3 deals 2 damage to 2/1 -> 2/-1 (troop dies)
5/5 crush deals 3 damage to 1/3 -> 1/0 (troop dies) and 2 damage to champion
5/5 crush deals 2 damage to 5/3 -> 5/1 and 3 damage to champion
Champion 6 health -> -1 health

Freebird_Falcon
05-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Your 5/3 going to 5/1 makes no sense any way it's spun. If 3dmg was prevented, then all 5 hit sure shot to reduce him to 5/1, which means no damage should have carried through. Otherwise, with crush damage being assigned for fatal before effects (except for seagulls) then you still should have only taken 2 damage, and sure shot should've taken 0 damage since his /3 was prevented.

Seems like there's a bug in there somewhere.

hacky
05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Hi CZE! Hope you had a great long weekend! Going to bump this just a bit! :D

Eierdotter
05-28-2014, 12:25 AM
so the 5/5 crush could not decide how to assign the damage and dealt 8 damage total to cover both scenarios...

DionyzRex
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the report and the video, we're looking into this now

Kitsune
06-03-2014, 09:50 AM
This same bug killed me in a tournament game. Opponent played a Wrathwood Colossus, I was stalling against it. Set up my turtle shield and should have come through with two life, instead I died.