PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: bring hex window to front when match starts

nick7575
05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
When a match begins, the Hex window should be brought to the front of your screen. It seems like a minor change, but it would be a huge quality of life improvement.

Fenrus
05-28-2014, 07:45 PM
A taskbar alert (i.e. flashing icon) would be something I could see as an alternative.

israel.kendall
05-28-2014, 08:06 PM
I support this product and/or service.

benczi
05-29-2014, 04:43 AM
NO! Just no. I don't want to be interrupted from whatever I am doing. A notification sound is ok, flashing on the taskbar is ok, but not auto-focus.

Marsden
05-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Autofocus is evil, but if it was optional I wouldn't mind.

zadies
05-29-2014, 07:00 AM
I think some people just like getting wins from people not paying attention.

Xenavire
05-29-2014, 07:10 AM

And why not? They payed to play and then get stiffed on the playtime. They deserve their wins.

meetthefuture
05-29-2014, 07:19 AM
More like, I don't want Hex client being annoying because some people can't pay attention

nick7575
05-29-2014, 01:21 PM
More like, I don't want Hex client being annoying because some people can't pay attention

Then make it an option you can toggle on and off. Conversely, I shouldn't have to be giving hex full attention if I finish a match 2-0 and other matches are on game 1. It would be nice to be able to do other things until its time for the next round.

sukebe
05-29-2014, 05:42 PM
I support this very much. I suppose it would work as an option that can be toggled so long as it defaults to on.

Unhurtable
05-30-2014, 02:29 AM

It has nothing to do with paying attention. I don't want to stare at "Finding opponents" for 10 minutes.

Marsden
05-30-2014, 04:56 AM
It has nothing to do with paying attention. I don't want to stare at "Finding opponents" for 10 minutes.

Read a book. Look at your phone/table. Watch TV in the background. Get a second monitor. Stop using everything fullscreen so you can't keep an eye on Hex while using your web browser.

israel.kendall
05-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Read a book. Look at your phone/table. Watch TV in the background. Get a second monitor. Stop using everything fullscreen so you can't keep an eye on Hex while using your web browser.

Yeah, or just have Hex come to the front when a game starts.

Xenavire
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Yeah, or just have Hex come to the front when a game starts.

Or manage your time and resources better. This feature is not needed. At all. They already added an alert when a draft fires, etc. Just spread that out, done.

I can't comprehend how lazy people can be sometimes. Being proactive would find you a ton of solutions to the problem, but instead the instinct is to post on the forums. How on earth does everyone else manage I wonder? *sigh*

Even if this was going to be added (and I kind of hope it isn't, or is at least defaulted to off) it is superfluous and low priority.

Yoss
05-30-2014, 09:01 AM

This.

SmkViper
05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Smite has a system where if you're alt-tabbed away from the game when your queue pops it plays a sound and a small notification window pops up in the lower left that looks and acts like alerts you see from anti-virus programs.

It doesn't steal focus from whatever your doing, but does appear on top of things so you can see it.

I think that would be a great thing to add to Hex for times when you're waiting for a queue or game to pop.

Plus I agree that auto-focus/auto-switch is a big no-no. I hate it when a program thinks it's so important that it can take control of my PC.

MatWith1T
05-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Smite has a system where if you're alt-tabbed away from the game when your queue pops it plays a sound and a small notification window pops up in the lower left that looks and acts like alerts you see from anti-virus programs.

It doesn't steal focus from whatever your doing, but does appear on top of things so you can see it.

I think that would be a great thing to add to Hex for times when you're waiting for a queue or game to pop.

Plus I agree that auto-focus/auto-switch is a big no-no. I hate it when a program thinks it's so important that it can take control of my PC.

This... I love Smite's small but noticeable pop-up.
I normally play with my sound very low, so I can't count on hearing the match starting. (In Smite or Hex)

Xenavire
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM

This sounds more tolerable. Not ready to endorse the idea, but not going to fight it either, until I hear more about it.

MatWith1T
05-30-2014, 12:04 PM
This sounds more tolerable. Not ready to endorse the idea, but not going to fight it either, until I hear more about it.

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/6kNQdiU.jpg (bottom right corner)
If you click it, it automatically brings up the game, if you ignore it for whatever reason, it goes away after 10-15-ish seconds.

israel.kendall
05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Or manage your time and resources better.

Strange you say this since the feature itself would help people use their time and resources better. If you Dont want it then Dont use it. No need to be so negative about a feature that could help other people out.

Xenavire
05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Strange you say this since the feature itself would help people use their time and resources better. If you Dont want it then Dont use it. No need to be so negative about a feature that could help other people out.

I am sorry, but I really don't see an excuse for needing this in the first place. Managing your time and resources is something you have to do, every day of your life. If you can't manage that when you start to play a TCG, well thats plain confusing. Where is the disconnect? What makes it so much more difficult to do here?

And why should the work then be dumped onto busy people who have far more important things to do?

Besides, I don't object as much to a non-intrusive version (noted above, and you ignored my response to that to call me out.)

Unhurtable
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM

How will reading a book / watch TV help me knowing when the game pops up? Yes I'll just go grab a monitor from my backyard where they grow. I don't have Hex on fullscreen, but that doesn't help when I switch to something else.

I am sorry, but I really don't see an excuse for needing this in the first place. Managing your time and resources is something you have to do, every day of your life. If you can't manage that when you start to play a TCG, well thats plain confusing. Where is the disconnect? What makes it so much more difficult to do here?

And why should the work then be dumped onto busy people who have far more important things to do?

Besides, I don't object as much to a non-intrusive version (noted above, and you ignored my response to that to call me out.)

"Work"

Its not something that would take hours. A good upper estimation would be about 10 minutes depending on their API and current GUI implementations. I'm not saying "get this done before next patch", but it would certainly improve the game from a QoL perspective.

Ofcourse it would be non-intrusive / optional. Why wouldn't it be? It could be anything from a million fireworks to the icon flashing on the toolbar. It doesn't just affect me, it affects those people who have to wait 1-5 minutes for me to realize my game has begun.

Xenavire
05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
"Work"

Its not something that would take hours. A good upper estimation would be about 10 minutes depending on their API and current GUI implementations. I'm not saying "get this done before next patch", but it would certainly improve the game from a QoL perspective.

Ofcourse it would be non-intrusive / optional. Why wouldn't it be? It could be anything from a million fireworks to the icon flashing on the toolbar. It doesn't just affect me, it affects those people who have to wait 1-5 minutes for me to realize my game has begun.

You think these kinds of features are easy? It needs to do several things at once (checking if you have a game to start, override the other windows you have open, and possibly more). If you want a 5 minute hackjob, that is going to be horrible. If you wont something that is built into the UI, can be toggled, has possible other options, and doesn't completely crash the client when it triggers? And then have it in a patch - you could be looking at months before it is in a fit state to be used.

You have to assume the worst and add an extra percent of time when you are programming. A few hours is an outlandish claim indeed.

Marsden
05-30-2014, 01:23 PM
How will reading a book / watch TV help me knowing when the game pops up? Yes I'll just go grab a monitor from my backyard where they grow. I don't have Hex on fullscreen, but that doesn't help when I switch to something else.

I can quite happily sit at my computer and keep an eye on my hex window while I look at my phone, or read, or poke twitter or read some RSS feeds or whatever. I'm sorry - I genuinely cannot fathom how someone who can obviously write and reason coherently (because you're managing to post on here) can't also do that small degree of multitasking.

Banquetto
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Agreed. No program should ever steal focus unless it is optional and disabled by default. However making it optional and disabled by default would surely cover the OP's desire, since he would enable it. :)

Unhurtable
05-31-2014, 01:14 AM
I can quite happily sit at my computer and keep an eye on my hex window while I look at my phone, or read, or poke twitter or read some RSS feeds or whatever. I'm sorry - I genuinely cannot fathom how someone who can obviously write and reason coherently (because you're managing to post on here) can't also do that small degree of multitasking.

I'm not much of a phone person, why use the phone when I can use a superior device (the PC in this case)? Reading could still get me to an interesting point where I might not want to look away from it. I'm not incapable of multitasking, I just tend to miss the game pop every now and then because I don't check the game every 10 seconds because there would be no point in not looking then.

I genuinely cannot fathom how someone cannot understand that other people do other things, that may or may not require more or less amount of focus in certain intervals of the activity.

You think these kinds of features are easy? It needs to do several things at once (checking if you have a game to start, override the other windows you have open, and possibly more). If you want a 5 minute hackjob, that is going to be horrible. If you wont something that is built into the UI, can be toggled, has possible other options, and doesn't completely crash the client when it triggers? And then have it in a patch - you could be looking at months before it is in a fit state to be used.

You have to assume the worst and add an extra percent of time when you are programming. A few hours is an outlandish claim indeed.

These kinds of features are easy. Essentially every large multiplayer game with matchmaking has this feature in one form or another, whether its a distinct sound, the icon flashing or full focus.

The "check if you have a game to start" already exists since we can actually join games. Its nothing more than the client recieving a message from the server and the client reacting to that message. You also don't have to "override" the other windows because the native function of the operating system just moves the window to the top of the stack. If you actually think something like this takes "months" to completely finish I suppose we should wait years before set 2 since that would obviously involve a lot more work. The best part is that the function doesn't even need to pop the window to the front, a simple flash or a distinct sound would go a lot further than the current implementation.

You can't assume the worst and then add extra percent of time, then you just changed the definition of what the worst situation would be. Secondly, you don't have to assume the worst. If the average required time for something is about 1.5h and I ask someone to do it and they say "ok that should take 2.5h" my spider sense would start to tingle.

Chance
05-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Everyones right stop arguing because of pride feels like a fucked up family in here. Its a note worthy suggestion and likely to be implemented years from now.

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Everyones right stop arguing because of pride feels like a fucked up family in here. Its a note worthy suggestion and likely to be implemented years from now.

I think the main arguments were over implementation, although that got a bit muddied.

It isn't a bad idea, in the far future, but one implementation could be far worse than another. For now, anyone having an issue (right now, knowing the feature isn't live) is basically just managing their time and resources badly, or are too lazy to even bother managing them.

Rhodry
05-31-2014, 05:18 PM
If it is not happening before the "far future" I think I will have to stop playing hex until the far future.

I agree it's just time management and I don't have a problem with that, but playing with the sound bothers the rest of my family so I keep the sound off or very low.
As to doing something else while waiting for the game to find player ... that is what I do ... and more often than not the something else is on my computer (like on the internet).

So not needed? I have to fully disagree : when entering a draft cost 3 boosters and 100pp, (that would be 7$), and when one waits 30min at least for the 8 players to be gathered (granted it's sometimes way faster as it was on my first 2 draft today), then yes an alert is badly needed.
Someone mentioned a sound ... I did not hear it today so I have to blindly trust that it exists.If a setting somewhere allows me to make sure I hear this, I haven't found it.

So sad story : I love hex but the most interesting part for me is the draft. I would be ok spending some money weekly to draft when I have the time for it. But without a way to let me know the draft is starting, and with how busy my life usually is, I can't afford to just sit and wait and waste 7$ 30% of the time (based n today's experience). So I guess I'm one of these person that apparently some here despise for not being able to watch a screen searching for an opponent for 30 min. But what that means is I will have to wait till Hex is so successful that waiting for a draft to fill up takes at most a few seconds.

See you in a year or 2 ...if ever.

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 05:31 PM
I can't say I have ever actually heard the alert sound either - maybe it requires Hex to be minimised or something? Does anyone actually know how it works? Because we were told it was in, a long time ago.

That knowledge might actually help people.

But once you are actually in a draft, you shouldn't be leaving for more than a handful of minutes at a time. Ideally not at all, but there is a 1:30 timer before the next round starts.

Rhodry
05-31-2014, 05:43 PM
I must admit that the quick 2-0 win means you will have to wait maybe close to 1 hour for your next match ... so yes there is a risk here. Happened also to me today, but I made sure my hex window was partly in my field of vision so when my next match started I was ready.

I guess I could / should have done the same for the waiting to start draft . but I was already working on analyzing a document in pdf so I was already juggling 2 other windows, at some point thy fully covered the hex window and I got 100% on my work forgetting I had a draft started ... that was the last of my 500 plat buy and I do have a dozen unopened booster so I technically could spend another 5$ and buy my way in 5 more draft... I just know my life is so busy that the same will probably happen again ... And that will put me in a sour mood for the rest of the day. Not worth it ... Hex is supposed to be a game.

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 05:48 PM
I must admit that the quick 2-0 win means you will have to wait maybe close to 1 hour for your next match ... so yes there is a risk here. Happened also to me today, but I made sure my hex window was partly in my field of vision so when my next match started I was ready.

I guess I could / should have done the same for the waiting to start draft . but I was already working on analysing a documnt in pdf so I was already jugling 2 other windows, at som point thy fully covered the hex window and I got 100% on my work forgeting I had a draft started ... that was the last of my 54 plat buy and I do have a dozen unopened booster so I technically could spend another 5$ and buy my way in 5 more draft... I just know my life is so busy that the same will probably happen again ... And that will put me in a sour mood for the rest of the day. Not worth it ... Hex is supposed to be a game.

Things will get better, like being able to PvE while waiting for queues (and being dropped in the tourney when it fires.) Cory also wants to have a messaging service (emails?) when drafts fire etc.

So there will be QoL stuff coming. I should have probably mentioned all of this before getting all belligerent - I forget people don't always know all the planned features.

Rhodry
05-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Those feature you mentioned will definitely make life better. But I see how they would not be the highest priority.

I wasn't at first sure I would be all that into the PVE part ... but the closest we get to dungeons the more excited I am about it .... I guess I did react too strongly at first too, (right after my wasted draft) ...) I will stick around.