PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement: Don't Be A Dick!

hex_colin
05-31-2014, 12:16 PM
So, on my way to my latest tournament win I ran into a bunch of dickish behaviors. Some examples:

Pumping up a Mesmerized (and exhausted and useless) Living Totem repeatedly, presumably just to waste my clock in the third match
Using Runic Monolith 2 turns in a row even after I'd pointed out that it was bugged and that that would be exploiting
Casting Inquisition on a 1 resource hand and letting 45 seconds tick off MY clock while you decide which card to discard. Pro tip - you weren't looking at ANY cards = no decision.

Don't be a dick!

And, if you're really need to be, I'm probably not the best target. ;)

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 12:30 PM
So, on my way to my latest tournament win I ran into a bunch of dickish behaviors. Some examples:

Pumping up a Mesmerized (and exhausted and useless) Living Totem repeatedly, presumably just to waste my clock in the third match
Using Runic Monolith 2 turns in a row even after I'd pointed out that it was bugged and that that would be exploiting
Casting Inquisition on a 1 resource hand and letting 45 seconds tick off MY clock while you decide which card to discard. Pro tip - you weren't looking at ANY cards = no decision.

Don't be a dick!

And, if you're really need to be, I'm probably not the best target. ;)

The first two could be lack of comprehension (using benefit of the doubt), but the last point has been specifically mentioned repeatedly as a known and bannable abuse.

I hope you didn't take it easy on him Colin, because that warrants a report.

mach
05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't agree with #1. There are ways it could still be useful (getting readied by an external effect, or bounced and replayed). Even if he didn't have any, he doesn't have to let you know that. So continuing to pump it was the correct play, and not a dickmove.

nicosharp
05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Colin, I really thought you out of all people, would never let the games design and bugs get to you.

hex_colin
05-31-2014, 12:40 PM
The first two could be lack of comprehension (using benefit of the doubt), but the last point has been specifically mentioned repeatedly as a known and bannable abuse.

I hope you didn't take it easy on him Colin, because that warrants a report.

I'd pointed the second one out in chat and he definitely saw it (he responded).

Colin, I really thought you out of all people, would never let the games design and bugs get to you.

I didn't. I played my games and won. :) Just reminding folks.

I don't agree with #1. There are ways it could still be useful (getting readied by an external effect, or bounced and replayed). Even if he didn't have any, he doesn't have to let you know that. So continuing to pump it was the correct play, and not a dickmove.

I'll give you that there could have been an edge case where it was useful. But I'd seen most of his deck over 3 games and he'd used the only card that would have helped (Buccaneer). He was still doing it with no cards in hand and guaranteed lethal damage next turn.

Kroan
05-31-2014, 12:49 PM
I know you made a joke with your last statement, but if people really need to be a dick, they should bugger off and do something else.

funktion
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I've definitely lost 3-5 games against people using the monolith even after they acknowledged in chat that it should currently be exhausted... Sad times.

hex_colin
05-31-2014, 12:52 PM
I know you made a joke with your last statement, but if people really need to be a dick, they should bugger off and do something else.

Agreed!

mach
05-31-2014, 12:54 PM
I'll give you that there could have been an edge case where it was useful. But I'd seen most of his deck over 3 games and he'd used the only card that would have helped (Buccaneer). He was still doing it with no cards in hand and guaranteed lethal damage next turn.

One of the things I've learned from many years of TCG experience is the importance of repetition of good habits. If you don't do something because it probably doesn't matter this time, you're more likely to forget to do it when it does matter.

majin
05-31-2014, 12:56 PM

i'd rather lost than to exploit a bug knowing it exist. at least we only have 2 to 3 days to wait until bugs like this are fixed :)

Athravan
05-31-2014, 12:56 PM
There are always going to be dicks :(

hex_colin
05-31-2014, 12:59 PM
One of the things I've learned from many years of TCG experience is the importance of repetition of good habits. If you don't do something because it probably doesn't matter this time, you're more likely to forget to do it when it does matter.

I definitely agree with that. :)

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 01:05 PM
I have been in the position several times where I could have been a dick, and chose to do the right thing. For example, Mystic Spiritwalker is bugged like crazy, and I drafted one. I used it, and every time my opponents would have killed them (I.E, the second time they had dealt damage, without me renewing the buff) I treated them as being completely dead. Lost me a few games (I would have lost anyway if the effect was working correctly) but I walked away the winner of each match, winning the tournament.

Same deal with Inquisition - had a draft where I picked up 4 of them. Didn't win the tournament, but I made it to finals, and never abused the timer.

(BTW, who watches wrestling? Because something Oss said recently made me wonder... I am not a lemon!)

ossuary
05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
I am not a lemon!)

Don't be a citrus. Be a sled. :)

Xenavire
05-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Don't be a citrus. Be a sled. :)

I choose to be a Spectral Lotus! :p

mach
05-31-2014, 02:20 PM
I choose to be a Spectral Lotus! :p

Really? Then you wouldn't be able to do any PvP. Or competitive PvE.

sukebe
05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
i'd rather lost than to exploit a bug knowing it exist. at least we only have 2 to 3 days to wait until bugs like this are fixed :)

same here. I have lost several games (even a final) because I chose to use the monolith as it is supposed to work. These games would easily have been mine if I took advantage of the bug. I play for fun though so I won't stoop to exploiting/cheating to win some extra packs.

Xintrosi
05-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Was that your game against me? I remember you mentioning the bug, but I thought I left it unused for a turn. There was a lot going on though, so I may have forgotten and used it anyway. I apologize if it's me you're referring to, as I wouldn't knowingly use a bug or exploit to win, either. I think you won that game anyway, so at least I didn't profit from using a bugged object.

Mahes
05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
I would say that it would be better if the developers would fix exploitable issues a lot faster than what they currently are doing. There is no reason not to hot fix exploits in this game without having to wait 4 weeks for the patch. If they are going to ban players for using them, then they need to print the message on the opening screen or use the red text so that players are aware of the situation. In no way is it required for a player to come to this website for updates on what are bannable offenses unless they post this.

As new players join, this will only become worse.

Athravan
05-31-2014, 02:41 PM
. If they are going to ban players for using them, then they need to print the message on the opening screen or use the red text so that players are aware of the situation. In no way is it required for a player to come to this website for updates on what are bannable offenses unless they post this.

On response to this specifically, it IS required that people agree to the terms of service when playing. Just like any MMO or other online game with rules, you don't have the rules plastered in front of you every time you log on. You are expected to read them once when you start playing the game & it's your own responsibility for remembering and understanding them. Anyone who clicks accept on the ToS and then says "I didn't realise it was a rule", gets no sympathy from me.

hex_colin
05-31-2014, 02:48 PM
I would say that it would be better if the developers would fix exploitable issues a lot faster than what they currently are doing. There is no reason not to hot fix exploits in this game without having to wait 4 weeks for the patch. If they are going to ban players for using them, then they need to print the message on the opening screen or use the red text so that players are aware of the situation. In no way is it required for a player to come to this website for updates on what are bannable offenses unless they post this.

As new players join, this will only become worse.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that people shouldn't need to know about every bug, etc. AND that they should be fixed (they will be early next week). However, if your opponent points it out to you, you know at that point.

And... I didn't report anyone. I didn't call anyone out by name. I just filed the information away for the future in case it happens again.

Mike411
05-31-2014, 03:47 PM

For #1, I'd suggest they add a small checkbox on the field "Always pass priority" - or something that accomplishes the same thing, so that would no longer be an issue. Based on the brief time that the postponed patch notes were available, #3 will be fixed when the patch hits, and I think #2 is at least being worked on if not also fixed that patch.

DocX
06-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Snarky and ill-thought reply deleted.

hex_colin
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
<< Redacted >>

How are being a dick and cheating mutually exclusive? They're not. You're making that distinction, I didn't and haven't. Of course I'm against cheating - that's why I posted.

The time wasting is (potentially) a dickish move, especially in the context I saw it happen, but it's not against the rules, and it shouldn't be. That's consistent with my position since way back in May of last year when I joined these boards.

DocX
06-01-2014, 03:30 PM
How are being a dick and cheating mutually exclusive? They're not. You're making that distinction, I didn't and haven't. Of course I'm against cheating - that's why I posted.

The time wasting is (potentially) a dickish move, especially in the context I saw it happen, but it's not against the rules, and it shouldn't be. That's consistent with my position since way back in May of last year when I joined these boards.

Y'know what? I'm wrong. I did not remember the resolution of our interaction in that thread and, therefore, forgot we'd arrived at a "Stalling is a dick move that should be punished if/when it is decisively determined to be intentional, but given intentionality is incredibly difficult to prove it's will be infrequent" (roughly paraphrased) form of detente. As such, I apologize for my snarky post. I'll be editing it to remove it. Feel free to leave my quoted version if you want, but I retract the statement and apologize for posting without properly refreshing my memory on the post.

I shall endeavor to avoid doing this again.

ossuary
06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
That has literally never happened before in the history of the internet.

You're admitting you were wrong, and retracting your stantement? What are you, sick or something? :)

DocX
06-01-2014, 05:18 PM

You're admitting you were wrong, and retracting your stantement? What are you, sick or something? :)

Heh. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. I do my best to avoid having to do it, but the times it happens I figure it's best to admit it, apologize and move on.

Banquetto
06-01-2014, 05:23 PM

I sometimes do that, although I will confess that on occasions I have done so in order to mess with the head of the person I was arguing with, which technically means that I was acting like I was not being a dick in order to be dick. :)

YourOpponent
06-01-2014, 06:47 PM

I don't see that as a dick move unless it is obvious that there is no way that they can win by you running out of time. Because part of the game is efficiently managing time...now things such as the Inquisition bug abuse that is clearly a dick move and is bug abuse. But #1 isn't any different from starting a conversation with your opponent in game so that they chat back with you while them spending time talking back to you.

Xenavire
06-01-2014, 08:11 PM

I have done this recently Oss. It's just the Hex community - lets not get all up our own asses about this little fact, but we aren't as bad as the rest of the internet. Thats not to say we are great or anything, but its something. :D

hex_colin
06-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Y'know what? I'm wrong. I did not remember the resolution of our interaction in that thread and, therefore, forgot we'd arrived at a "Stalling is a dick move that should be punished if/when it is decisively determined to be intentional, but given intentionality is incredibly difficult to prove it's will be infrequent" (roughly paraphrased) form of detente. As such, I apologize for my snarky post. I'll be editing it to remove it. Feel free to leave my quoted version if you want, but I retract the statement and apologize for posting without properly refreshing my memory on the post.

I shall endeavor to avoid doing this again.

Thanks, I appreciate that. No hard feelings. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - I've been traveling all afternoon. I've redacted quote quote from my post too.

hex_colin
06-01-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't see that as a dick move unless it is obvious that there is no way that they can win by you running out of time. Because part of the game is efficiently managing time...

That was exactly the situation in this case. I was winning next turn no matter what (he had no cards in hand, not enough blockers for my flyers, and only 1 HP left), but I was within a couple of minutes of using up all my clock. Not really in the danger zone, but getting there. Had our positions been reversed, I'd have GG'd at the end of my turn and conceded. To each their own though. :)