PDA

View Full Version : Card Swiping Sound

mainstager
06-04-2014, 05:48 AM
There's no way I can be the only one who thinks this.

CZ, I've never asked you for anything on here since day 1, but this is something that have to speak up about. The whole "swipe sound when I mouse over my card" thing is absolutely maddening. There is no need to make touching your cards sound "cool". The very act of playing an all digital TCG with so much love poured into it is cool enough.

Please please PLEASE consider removing that sound effect. It's awful -_-

Xenavire
06-04-2014, 05:52 AM
There's no way I can be the only one who thinks this.

CZ, I've never asked you for anything on here since day 1, but this is something that have to speak up about. The whole "swipe sound when I mouse over my card" thing is absolutely maddening. There is no need to make touching your cards sound "cool". The very act of playing an all digital TCG with so much love poured into it is cool enough.

Please please PLEASE consider removing that sound effect. It's awful -_-

I think its a nice touch that has been overdone a bit - if they fine tune it to the point you barely notice, it will be just right.

mainstager
06-04-2014, 05:59 AM
I think its a nice touch that has been overdone a bit - if they fine tune it to the point you barely notice, it will be just right.

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I respectfully disagree - it's unnecessary, annoying, and does not add to the gaming experience at all. Hex is great without that touch. They're trying to make something sound "cool" that doesn't need to sound cool.

Marsden
06-04-2014, 06:02 AM
The sounds are basically all terrible. The only one I miss from turning the sounds to zero is the sound to signify the start of a new turn.

FlyingMeatchip
06-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Some sounds are good but +1 to nixing the card swipe sound.

Xenavire
06-04-2014, 06:18 AM
It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I respectfully disagree - it's unnecessary, annoying, and does not add to the gaming experience at all. Hex is great without that touch. They're trying to make something sound "cool" that doesn't need to sound cool.

So you are saying if it was near-seamless, and it was not intrusive at all, you would still hate it? Why use the sound at all? There are plenty of effects that are as bad or worse. Look at the triggers sound effect and the damage sound effect - if you mix the two in a combo, it can sound pretty horrible.

I wouldn't worry too much though, the sound guys have been making improvements that haven't made it live yet.

ShadHex
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
I agree 100% with the OP! CZE please turn those sounds off.

ossuary
06-04-2014, 07:00 AM
I absolutely loathe the sound of mousing over your cards that got added in this patch. It's grating, loud, annoying, and adds nothing of value. It makes my nerves fray at the edges. It's so bad I am actually losing the will to play the game right now. I had to turn off all sounds. Please please PLEASE remove this sound.

Khazrakh
06-04-2014, 07:38 AM
I turned off the sound because of that new effect - something I've never done in Hex before but I really REALLY can't stand that noise...

Quasari
06-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I also turned off sound after this one got added. If it was a near silent whoosh or something, I'd probably like it, but man is this bad. I'm all for audio feedback, but this causes ear cancer.

Werlix
06-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Did you guys read the patch note about the new audio system they've implemented?

Reworked the audio system. You may notice some sounds added, changed or missing

This audio effect is clearly not intended. You can't really think they sat down and listened to this sound and went, "Yes, perfect!". It's obviously some kind of bug with their new audio system.

EDIT: also:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36252

Audio Changes
With the most recent patch, we updated the entire audio engine the game uses to play sounds. This wasn’t actually supposed to go out with this patch, as we have to re-master all of the sounds to play properly through the new engine. This is why players believe that the sounds have ‘changed’ when in actuality the sound files are exactly the same, they’re just being played through a different audio engine and have not been processed properly for it.

ossuary
06-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Those details on the audio changes were posted long after this thread was created. We've read them now. :)

Werlix
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah but the patch note were posted before. I just updated with the extra details when they appeared as they seemed relevant.

I guess as soon as I heard the swiping sound I assumed this was the case from reading the patch notes.