PDA

View Full Version : Deck Sleeve strategy

MatWith1T
06-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Disclaimer: I know I'm putting way too much thought into this... just curious if anyone else has overthought this as well.

When sleeving your deck... is your personal preference to pick something that fits the theme, or do you intentionally go in a different direction as to not provide intel on your deck.

Most obvious example - Does your Mushwocky deck have a Mushwocky sleeve on it?

Xenavire
06-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I just keep using the king sleeves because the art is so pretty.

I might go thematic later on.

cavench
06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
When sleeving your deck... is your personal preference to pick something that fits the theme, or do you intentionally go in a different direction as to not provide intel on your deck.

I don't think I can trust intel based on opponent's sleeve. The first intel always come from opponent's selection of champion. Even if you successfully fooled your opponent with the "sleeve strategy", does it matter enough to influence his early plays?

Scammanator
06-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm willing to favor style over strategy when it comes to sleeves.

syphonhail
06-05-2014, 12:04 PM
I usually go with style if I am not playing an overly tricky deck.

In the March HTPCS tournament, I ran a blood-diamond control deck (blood-diamond had yet to top 8 a tournament) and I had the mastery of time sleeves as I figured it was an appropriate theme for what my deck did. In the finals, I played against Heavyhitter/strife playing an Eye of Creation deck with the onslaught sleeves which somewhat mirrored what his deck did. Neither deck contained those cards, but it certainly contained those strategies.

This was highlighted for me as GPrime did the commentary for that finals match and explicitly talked about how he liked how the deck sleeves matched what the decks did an added to the them. They were a reference to an idea without giving out too much information about the decks. Of course, for the top 8, we had decklists so there were no surprises at that point.

cferejohn
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
I never change sleeves. I'm honestly not sure why anyone would. Of course, I also only vaguely notice that the cards have art, so I'm probably weird.

Kami
06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm actually wishing there was a way to bulk-select a sleeve.

Showsni
06-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Using Grand King sleeves lets your opponent know you own multiple Extinctions, Pack Raptors, Ragefires, etc. and that they might be in your deck!

Xenavire
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Using Grand King sleeves lets your opponent know you own multiple Extinctions, Pack Raptors, Ragefires, etc. and that they might be in your deck!

So? Most KS tiers have a few of those cards. :p You should just always expect everyone to have those AA cards and just win anyway.

Zophie
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
I use either Mushwocky or Lotus sleeves regardless of deck, they're my favorites currently.

nicosharp
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Mushwocky is the Magnum sleeve out of all sleeve selections. Many of us may select it, but its too big for us.

I personally go for Spectral Lotus, as it can strategically blind my opponent and myself! I will also be selling them on the black market, so intend to be known as a reputable vendor by always having the sleeve up.

HellFro
06-05-2014, 02:56 PM
I love the idea of sleeves as an indicator of SL vendors! But I work somewhat in advertising so...

FlyingMeatchip
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
I like the art but my Captain and Warrior sleeves seem inferior to the Lotus and Mushwocky.....Sleeve Envy.

Skirovik
06-05-2014, 09:45 PM
What's the Mastery of Time sleeve? I backed high enough to get most of the sleeves but this one is unfamiliar to me (in terms of names at least). Could someone please link a pic of these?

syphonhail
06-06-2014, 12:58 AM
What's the Mastery of Time sleeve? I backed high enough to get most of the sleeves but this one is unfamiliar to me (in terms of names at least). Could someone please link a pic of these?

I don't know how you get it, but it was around during the alpha. I believe it is intended for a future reward. The bottom right in this picture:

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/HEX_ASSET_80.jpg

GPrime
06-06-2014, 01:25 AM
This was highlighted for me as GPrime did the commentary for that finals match and explicitly talked about how he liked how the deck sleeves matched what the decks did an added to the them. They were a reference to an idea without giving out too much information about the decks. Of course, for the top 8, we had decklists so there were no surprises at that point.

As an amateur commentator, I'm honored that anything at all I said was memorable. =)

ShadowM
06-06-2014, 04:17 AM
I like the looks of the Acolyte sleeves, so i have been slapping them on all my decks :P

AstaSyneri
06-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't know how you get it, but it was around during the alpha. I believe it is intended for a future reward. The bottom right in this picture:

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/HEX_ASSET_80.jpg

These original were in Alpha for testing and supposedly removed. I recently played a player with the red flyer (lower row, 2nd from the left). I'd assume that these now are the "make your own" rewards from the highest backer tiers (beyond my pay grade). Opinions? Fact?