PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Show # of cards I own in draft.

Hooj
06-05-2014, 01:40 PM
As the title says, I think it would be useful to know the # of each card one has in inventory during drafting. Similar to the number just to the upper right of each card in the manager.

It would help with draft decisions like "oh, I have 17 buccaneers already, but only 2 thunderbirds".

Cheers,

nicosharp
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
That would be invaluable!
/signed

Lurgid
06-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I wholeheartedly agree, too, but imagine that it's already planned. At least I hope so.

mach
06-05-2014, 02:04 PM
If you're going to show a number for each card, I'd rather it be the financial value of the card (calculated from the last X sales on the AH).

MatWith1T
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Would you want to see the number of that card you've already drafted thus far? Or the number you own in your collection?

The former is pretty easy to count, the latter only helps raredrafting.
Don't know how I feel about a tool that makes raredrafting easier/more efficient because it generally lowers the play experience of the other 7 guys at the table.

Xenavire
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Would you want to see the number of that card you've already drafted thus far? Or the number you own in your collection?

The former is pretty easy to count, the latter only helps raredrafting.
Don't know how I feel about a tool that makes raredrafting easier/more efficient because it generally lowers the play experience of the other 7 guys at the table.

When I have a pack of dead picks, I would like to know if there are any uncommons etc I might be one short of. So I would support this feature. I mean chances are it would just force people to raredraft bad cards, for their collection, and you mop up with all the bombs and removal they skipped.

majin
06-05-2014, 02:48 PM
/signed and was suggested long ago. same feature should be available on the AH too

Kroan
06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I am against this. This encourages rare-drafting and picking up cards you want for the collection. Obviously people do this without this, but encouraging it through the UI seems weird and should not be done imho.

Yoss
06-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Love this idea and have suggested it before.

The fact that it helps raredrafters is a "who cares" item. Rare drafting is not a bad thing. If someone rare drafts, they get what they wanted (more crappy rares) and so do the guys next to them (better decks). I'm pretty sure my 3.0 EV in draft is partly due to people rare drafting around me, and I'm totally fine taking home the prizes. :)

Yoss
06-05-2014, 03:43 PM
If you're going to show a number for each card, I'd rather it be the financial value of the card (calculated from the last X sales on the AH).

Tooltip with both! (I've also suggested this in the past, like a year ago.)

sukebe
06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I would love to see this feature. While it isn't strictly necessary, it would be a huge quality of life improvement. This is the first TCG I am trying for a playset and this feature would save me a lot of time in draft as I wouldnt have to keep checking my list.

HyenaNipples
06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I am also very interested in this feature.

Vorpal
06-05-2014, 05:46 PM
I am against this. This encourages rare-drafting and picking up cards you want for the collection.

Why is encouraging people to complete their collection in a collectible card game a bad thing, exactly?

I'm all for it.

If it's not put in game people will just make an out of game API for it anyway.

Zomnivore
06-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't see a downside.

Saves a little effort.

Enforces that digital has advantages over non digital.

vickrpg
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
I am against this. This encourages rare-drafting and picking up cards you want for the collection. Obviously people do this without this, but encouraging it through the UI seems weird and should not be done imho.

Actually, it reduces rare drafting. As someone who rare drafts often, I find myself picking the rarer card over the good one because I'm not sure if I have it. If I already have a play set, and the UI tells me, I am less likely to pick the rare and more likely to work on my draft deck. Thus reducing the rare-drafting I do, not encouraging it.

sukebe
06-05-2014, 11:53 PM

what is wrong with rare drafting? The only one it could possibly hurt in the tournament is the person doing it as any rare they take that doesnt fit in their deck is a card that will not help them win packs.

I have a list in front of my computer that lists everything I need complete my playset. I check things off as I draft them. All this feature would do is save me, and people like me, time and effort. It is a quality of life feature, not one that would really change the way we play the game.

Xexist
06-06-2014, 12:07 AM
/signed and was suggested long ago. same feature should be available on the AH too

Yeah I mentioned this in some thread weeks ago and Im sure I wasnt the first one. I try not to rare draft but if I saw something I needed to round out my collection, it would be nice not to miss it :p

Zophie
06-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I wholeheartedly approve of this suggestion.

malloc31
06-06-2014, 04:03 AM
I agree this would be great to have while drafting.

Kroan
06-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Actually, it reduces rare drafting. As someone who rare drafts often, I find myself picking the rarer card over the good one because I'm not sure if I have it. If I already have a play set, and the UI tells me, I am less likely to pick the rare and more likely to work on my draft deck. Thus reducing the rare-drafting I do, not encouraging it. Your own experience is hardly an argument, rather an assumption (to be fair, mine is an assumption as well..., but I find my own assumptions better than your assumptions :P)

what is wrong with rare drafting? The only one it could possibly hurt in the tournament is the person doing it as any rare they take that doesnt fit in their deck is a card that will not help them win packs. Nothing, but I don't want the UI to encourage it. The point of drafting is not to complete your collection.

Why is encouraging people to complete their collection in a collectible card game a bad thing, exactly? Because drafting is not meant to complete your collection, but to play a draft.

Xenavire
06-06-2014, 04:49 AM
Your own experience is hardly an argument, rather an assumption (to be fair, mine is an assumption as well..., but I find my own assumptions better than your assumptions :P)

Nothing, but I don't want the UI to encourage it. The point of drafting is not to complete your collection.

Because drafting is not meant to complete your collection, but to play a draft.

Numerous pre-release tournaments disagree. Both with sealed and draft, people buy in both for the play experience and for their collection. Only people who are interested in going infinite will not be concerned with their collections - almost everyone else (especially all those who bought the tiers with drafts) are very much interested in their collections.

It is a play style, sure, but the idea is to get value back out of it while having some fun. You either win more packs, or you get your value by drafting cards that have value (either to your collection or for selling/trading.) I can tell you right now, every live draft I watched had some rare drafters (even one time where the guy who rare drafted simply dropped and left the store.)

It is completely valid, and it would be a QoL feature for sure. Filling out my last uncommons for example would be a lot easier with this feature, and passing on a rare I don't need is more likely with this feature.

firedancer27
06-06-2014, 05:08 AM
I completely support this. I use hextcgbrowser and have to keep alt tabbing to check my collection.
Anyone stating that drafting isn't for completing a collection is only stating an opinion. It also isn't an auto-loss. I have won a tournament and made it to 2nd and 3rd rounds many times with a focus on rare drafting....just as I have when the focus was completely on making a competitive deck.

Banquetto
06-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Nothing, but I don't want the UI to encourage it. The point of drafting is not to complete your collection.

A personal opinion which not everyone shares.

For instance, look at the fact that every single new player is told not to open packs, but to always use them in drafts. That advice is squarely aimed at the fact that the most efficient way to build your collection is drafting.

Vorpal
06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Your own experience is hardly an argument, rather an assumption (to be fair, mine is an assumption as well..., but I find my own assumptions better than your assumptions :P)

Says who?

If it wasn't meant to help you complete your collection you wouldn't keep the cards you drafted.

Since it does, it is obvious that it is explicitly and deliberately meant to help you complete your collection.

If it wasn't, it would be like hearthstone's arena where you 'borrow' cards.

HyenaNipples
06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
As soon as my collection is complete, I intend to stop drafting altogether until the next set. In my mind, collecting is the single purpose of drafting. I want the feature, but I certainly would support it being toggled so people who don't want it don't have to see it.

mach
06-06-2014, 08:41 AM
As soon as my collection is complete, I intend to stop drafting altogether until the next set. In my mind, collecting is the single purpose of drafting.

It's an incredibly inefficient way of doing it. It will be much faster to complete your collection using the AH.

Vorpal
06-06-2014, 08:52 AM
It's an incredibly inefficient way of doing it. It will be much faster to complete your collection using the AH.

Faster is not the same thing as cheaper.

mach
06-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Faster is not the same thing as cheaper.

It will be cheaper as well, unless you're so good you're making money from drafts.

Xenavire
06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
It will be cheaper as well, unless you're so good you're making money from drafts.

Not outside the realm of possibility. Got 4 Vamp kings already and pick one up in draft? Easy enough to sell that and get more draft entries, or simply buy some of what you are missing.

Vorpal
06-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Any pack opened in draft has a chance of getting you additional prize packs PLUS you can always rare draft.

If you open 3 packs and sell the contents on the AH, you're going to get no more than 3 rares, no matter what.

Easy to get more than 3 rares in a draft.

HyenaNipples
06-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Plus, flat out buying singles is pretty boring, and as Vorpal said- no harm in snatching a spare legendary to sell on the AH and pick up several of the horrible rares even I don't draft. Looking at you Surge Mechanism. AND I generally do decent in drafts, so I pick up prize packs to boot.

Not to downplay the AH eager folks, but drafting is how I like to collect.

mach
06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Any pack opened in draft has a chance of getting you additional prize packs PLUS you can always rare draft.

If you open 3 packs and sell the contents on the AH, you're going to get no more than 3 rares, no matter what.

Easy to get more than 3 rares in a draft.

I never said anything about opening packs. Use the plat you would have spent on packs directly on the AH and get exactly what you want.

Xenavire
06-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I never said anything about opening packs. Use the plat you would have spent on packs directly on the AH and get exactly what you want.

And if you have a backlog of packs, like most of the KS backers? Use the packs to draft until you have a full set, liquidate the rest, use the plat you made to draft/buy singles in set 2.

I'd say thats a solid strategy. :D

cavench
06-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm having this silly image of me walking down an isle in supermarket.

"I only have 3 of these? in you go!"

*Grabs something from the shelf and put it in the shopping cart*
*Pushes cart to next isle*

mach
06-06-2014, 10:03 AM
And if you have a backlog of packs, like most of the KS backers? Use the packs to draft until you have a full set, liquidate the rest, use the plat you made to draft/buy singles in set 2.

I'd say thats a solid strategy. :D

Sell the packs for plat, buy what you need with plat.

Yoss
06-06-2014, 10:21 AM
in favor (AYE):
Banquetto (?)
cavench (?)
firedancer27
Hooj
HyenaNipples
Lurgid
majin
malloc31
nicoshard
sukebe
vickrpg
Vorpal
Xenavire
Xexist
Yoss
Zomnivore
Zophie

abstain:
mach

against (NAY):
Kroan
MatWith1T (?)

The AYEs have it.

mach
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
in favor (AYE):
Banquetto (?)
cavench (?)
firedancer27
Hooj
HyenaNipples
Lurgid
mach
majin
malloc31
nicoshard
sukebe
vickrpg
Vorpal
Xenavire
Xexist
Yoss
Zomnivore
Zophie

against (NAY):
Kroan
MatWith1T (?)

They AYEs have it.

If only features were decided by popular vote....

For the record, I don't really care. I don't plan to use such a feature, but I don't mind it in as long as I can turn it off. It should probably be disabled by default so you don't confuse new players with random numbers everywhere.

Yoss
06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Updated your vote.

Vorpal
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM

And for people who already have hundreds of packs from the KS and have signed up for VIP...?

They've already spent plat on packs directly.

Attempting to 'undo' this via the AH is likely to lose them value in fees and transaction costs.

Anyway, buying singles on the AH is way less fun than opening packs. Opening packs in draft is more valuable than opening them randomly, so I definitely feel like draft is the best way to go about growing your collection

firedancer27
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Plus, flat out buying singles is pretty boring, and as Vorpal said- no harm in snatching a spare legendary to sell on the AH and pick up several of the horrible rares even I don't draft. Looking at you Surge Mechanism. AND I generally do decent in drafts, so I pick up prize packs to boot.

Not to downplay the AH eager folks, but drafting is how I like to collect.

Yes!!! This is exactly how I feel. Whether or not it is some ideal "right" way to do it...this is exactly how I like and enjoy building my collection.

Xenavire
06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
If only this was a real vote. :p

It is a feature that is likely to turn up someday though. It really is a QoL feature, and a few sets in we will be scrambling to get the correct cards in the set 1/2/3 drafts.

Bullus
06-06-2014, 08:58 PM

the second they gave a draft per week to pure pve ks tiers they pretty much guarenteed a portion of player base would do this, if it wheren't for the chance at "free" packs, i would prob drop drafts the second the card pick ends. Proud Dungeon Crawler KS backer

S117
06-08-2014, 07:21 AM
And what would we do anyway about rare-drafting? Start penalizing 'poor' picks on some mysterious metric like League of Legends?

Sorry but when the only pick in my shard is a Determined Zombie I'll look at snatching up that Induction Coil if for no reason but to break down when crafting is in...

Xenavire
06-08-2014, 07:41 AM
And what would we do anyway about rare-drafting? Start penalizing 'poor' picks on some mysterious metric like League of Legends?

Sorry but when the only pick in my shard is a Determined Zombie I'll look at snatching up that Induction Coil if for no reason but to break down when crafting is in...

I would have said inferno over induction coil. Coil is going to be a lot better in PvE and possibly even in set 2. I wouldn't count it out yet.

Inferno however... Unless it is amazing in PvE, I think we can just destroy most of them on day one. :p

silverlocke
06-08-2014, 07:50 AM
I support this feature.

S117
06-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Heh heh...yeah Inferno wins out I think...

I like Induction Coil...just the cost is so prohibitive...that's what makes it bad, in my opinion...

Yoss
06-08-2014, 09:42 AM
in favor (AYE):
Banquetto (?)
Bullus (?)
cavench (?)
firedancer27
Hooj
HyenaNipples
Lurgid
majin
malloc31
nicoshard
S117
silverlocke
sukebe
vickrpg
Vorpal
Xenavire
Xexist
Yoss
Zomnivore
Zophie

abstain:
mach

against (NAY):
Kroan
MatWith1T (?)

Ebynfel
06-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I would have said inferno over induction coil. Coil is going to be a lot better in PvE and possibly even in set 2. I wouldn't count it out yet.

Inferno however... Unless it is amazing in PvE, I think we can just destroy most of them on day one. :p

I miss the old inferno. i'd play that in mono ruby.

S117
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Heh...hadn't really thought about voting...

But yes I'd be in favor of it...I agree with one of the previous posters, in that, if I knew I already had 4 of a rare/legendary I would be less likely to rare-draft if there is another viable pick that fits the deck I've been drafting better...

Yoss
06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
yes I'd be in favor

Updated.

Banquetto
06-08-2014, 04:53 PM
in favor (AYE):
Banquetto (?)

I'm in favour, you can remove the question mark.

The way I see it..

* People gonna rare draft. You know they are.
* Making them keep their own list of cards and alt-tab to check things isn't going to stop rare drafting.
* (Even if it did, I don't think there's anything wrong with rare drafting if that's what you want to do with your entry fee)
* So the game UI should make life smooth and convenient for players. Add the card count!

Skirovik
06-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Definitely agree that this should be a feature. I seriously don't see any downside to this.

Yoss
06-08-2014, 07:48 PM
in favor (AYE):
Banquetto
Bullus (?)
cavench (?)
firedancer27
Hooj
HyenaNipples
Lurgid
majin
malloc31
nicosharp
S117
silverlocke
Skirovik
sukebe
vickrpg
Vorpal
Xenavire
Xexist
Yoss
Zomnivore
Zophie

abstain:
mach

against (NAY):
Kroan
MatWith1T (?)

nicosharp
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
in favor (AYE):
""
nicoshard
""

That is clever. I should change my name!

Yoss
06-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Fixed, sorry.