PDA

View Full Version : What about players waiting to play

odjn
06-11-2014, 09:08 PM
So I was reading the thread about how set 2's release will affect value of packs: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36393 and my thinking took me to thinking about how I would feel looking at Hex from the outside looking in. If I wasn't one of the lucky few (though thousands, still not all encompassing of the players who want to play) who learned about Hex, got excited, believed in the vision, and dove in, in time to get into beta; I, on the outside, would be looking at a game that would move beyond it's formal beginning without being able to get a taste of it. I would be beyond behind, I would see that I would never get to experience the original game like the rest of the playing base I might be joining.

I feel that this would be equivalent to Blizzard never opening WoW to the public until Burning Crusade or the Frozen Throne, i.e. what would it be like if the majority of players worldwide could only see WoW vanilla but be unable to jump in until Burning Crusade hit unless they got a lucky beta invite? I don't think set 1 is done or uninteresting, I just think the majority of us playing have played it for a hella long time. I don't think it's fair to the worldwide playing base to move to set 2 until they are allowed an appropriate amount of time to bask in all the awesome that is Set 1. That the real crime in moving to Set 2 without doing that, is that players can only game Set 1 vicariously before being forced to get excited and move to Set 2.

I got into WoW during Frozen Throne, and I hear about how much fun Vanilla was and how Burning Crusade rocked the game into something completely new. I don't blame WoW, but boy was leveling through Vanilla and Burning Crusade boring for me. If I had wanted to get into WoW during Vanilla and watched others have incredible times and then been told about Burning Crusade and that I wouldn't be able to play WoW until Burning Crusade or Frozen Throne, I would've felt pretty wronged and I think this would be justified. Even without the MMO aspects in play, Set 2 will fundamentally shift the gameplay, which I am super excited for. But, I've known about Hex since the Kickstarter and played since Beta. I've gotten my fill and am ready to advance. If I had been unfortunate enough not to get in on the ground floor and then forced to look in from the outside, then made to enter the second floor when the doorway back to floor 1 had been, in essence, cemented up I would be pretty upset; I think justifiably.
-Odjn

ossuary
06-11-2014, 09:15 PM
TCGs =/= MMOs.

Blending MMO aspects into a TCG does not mean you abandon the TCG model of content delivery. WoW's expansion came out more than a year after the game was fully released to the public. TCGs generally release a new set of cards every 3-4 months. You CANNOT compare them, or expect a TCG to work any other way. TCGs that don't release new sets stagnate and die.

HyenaNipples
06-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I had similar misgivings about the announcement, but I went with the assumption that there is some legitimate marketing necessity to the decision. Or success with a similar strategy in Duels of Champions. I dunno. I trust the CZE team to make the right choices, so I'm just floating with it.

Personally, I can't shake the feeling that Set 001 (Base Set) is going to be earn-able through play at the dawn of Open Beta, thus removing most of the pay-wall from PvP content at the dawn of Hex's release. Thus, Set 2 becomes the purchase option for all of us and those who become addicted by the F2P of the Base Set.

mach
06-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Personally, I can't shake the feeling that Set 001 (Base Set) is going to be earn-able through play at the dawn of Open Beta, thus removing most of the pay-wall from PvP content at the dawn of Hex's release. Thus, Set 2 becomes the purchase option for all of us and those who become addicted by the F2P of the Base Set.

That would massively piss off many backers, because it would mean the kickstarter was a bait-and-switch.

Werlix
06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

I don't think you can ever directly earn PvP cards through PvE.

AswanJaguar
06-11-2014, 11:20 PM
I, on the outside, would be looking at a game that would move beyond it's formal beginning without being able to get a taste of it. I would be beyond behind, I would see that I would never get to experience the original game like the rest of the playing base I might be joining.

People who end up joining the game after Set 2 will be just fine. The 'original game' doesn't take shape until the first 3 sets are out and PvE is running. What we have now is 1/3 of the first block and an incomplete (though enjoyable) draft experience. It really isn't comparable to vanilla WoW.

I don't think it's fair to the worldwide playing base to move to set 2 until they are allowed an appropriate amount of time to bask in all the awesome that is Set 1. That the real crime in moving to Set 2 without doing that, is that players can only game Set 1 vicariously before being forced to get excited and move to Set 2.

Why limit new players to a set that's been around for 9 months when new content is ready and available at a time is was scheduled to come out? The real crime is losing players because they get bored or because there's no new sets coming. You see how people are reacting to PvE being delayed, imagine if no new cards came out at all!

Even without the MMO aspects in play, Set 2 will fundamentally shift the gameplay, which I am super excited for. But, I've known about Hex since the Kickstarter and played since Beta. I've gotten my fill and am ready to advance. If I had been unfortunate enough not to get in on the ground floor and then forced to look in from the outside, then made to enter the second floor when the doorway back to floor 1 had been, in essence, cemented up I would be pretty upset; I think justifiably.
-Odjn

You're answering your own concern here. The content is in danger of getting stale. Cory has stated that this is a key downfall for TCGs. How is access to Set 1 is being 'cemented up?' New players can play with Set 1 to their heart's content by buying starter decks, getting cards from the AH and playing Set 1 drafts and Sealed tournaments. It's not like CZE will shut down those tournament queues.

I just don't understand why people feel they're getting less when CZE is offering them more.

Not happening. It's already 'earnable' by buying boosters and will be for at least 2 years.

Voormas
06-11-2014, 11:46 PM
When I got into mtg back in the late 90s what I saw was a bunch of people playing a cool game that looked like a lot of fun, a new expansion had just come out then soon after I got into it there was another expansion - at no point in the process did I feel wronged (well I mean other than thinking that my pocket money was too low but that's another story :p)

Banquetto
06-12-2014, 05:53 AM
I don't think it's fair to the worldwide playing base to move to set 2 until they are allowed an appropriate amount of time to bask in all the awesome that is Set 1. That the real crime in moving to Set 2 without doing that, is that players can only game Set 1 vicariously before being forced to get excited and move to Set 2.

See, I think the real problem with your perception of the situation is that you keep using the phrase "move to set 2."

We're not moving anywhere. We're getting another stack of cards added into the game to accompany the stack that are already there.

Any new players that join in Open Beta after Set 2 releases are simply going to join a game with a card pool twice as big as it is now. They're not going to "miss out" on anything. Well, except for playing with half the cards that they're going to be able to play with when they do join the game.

I don't think it's even remotely comparable to WoW or any other MMO launching an expansion. Burning Crusade completely obsoleted all level 60 endgame content, for instance. There was literally no reason to run any of the many level 60 instances and raids, nor any groups wishing to do so. If you didn't play WoW pre-TBC then yes you absolutely did miss out on enjoying some content.

Hex doubling the card pool means nothing of the sort.

AstaSyneri
06-12-2014, 06:10 AM
I had very similar thoughts as the OP. In general I agree with Cory, but that line of thought is derived from offline CCGs, not from video game development. I believe we "deserving" the next set shouldn't be an issue. I haven't even seen a real Constructed tournament yet (yes, there were some community tournaments, but I'd have to assume only a comparatively small fraction of players actually could build the decks they really wanted).

Then I mulled this over and came to the conclusion that we can ignore this for a while if we want to. In TUC we can continue to do events that only take Set 1, and vary the rules from there (with banning a few cards you can easily change an environment, if it comes to that - or play formats like Highlander).

That means I'll happily ignore Set 2 until I feel I am ready for it and i can still offer (and have) a quality experience to (and with) our players who just joined or who don't can/want to invest as much money into virtual cards.

Of course I'll immediately change my mind when it comes to dungeons and raids. Then all constraints are off. :cool:

mudkip
06-12-2014, 06:31 AM
TCGs =/= MMOs.

I agree, but OP proves the point I've been saying in that because people are thinking of Hex like any other video game they are understandably upset.

I'm not a fan of the WoW example, because I feel that Set 2 will make things better for new people by making Set 1 cards super cheap on the AH. A better recent example is to look at the backlash from the Watch_Dogs DLC being made available while the game was still full of bugs. What Hex is doing is worse, as they are releasing paid content for a digital game, while said game is still in early beta.

fido_one
06-12-2014, 07:00 AM
I'm harping on this lately in my posts, but I very much agree with the OP here, and I look no further than Solforge, which turned me off when it released a second set in beta and lost the remaining interest I had in the game. Too much to catch up on something that I just wanted to evaluate. ...and that was in open beta.

I do wish those that believe in the set two decision would be a wee less vigilant in defending it - in the other thread there is a lot of 'UR STUPID! THIS IS THE BEST YOU ARE SO WRONG AND UR A TROLL' when I think it's a fair amount of the community, like myself, who disagrees with the decision but is still very supportive of the game.

That being said I agree with the spirit of what Astra said above - I disagree with the decision, but it's happening, I'm sure CZE has their reasons that they believe in, and I'll take the silver lining of playing with a new set. That doesn't alleviate what is said in this OP, it's a very valid argument that I hope CZE puts serious consideration into as they juggle going midway into their first block and continue to trek to open beta and release.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm not a fan of the WoW example, because I feel that Set 2 will make things better for new people by making Set 1 cards super cheap on the AH.

Wait, what? If anything it will have the opposite effect (thought I don't think dramatically). Unless the power level of Set 2 is way higher I would expect Set 1 to stay where it is or maybe even go up a little (since fewer Set 1 cards will be entering circulation).

mudkip
06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Wait, what? If anything it will have the opposite effect (thought I don't think dramatically). Unless the power level of Set 2 is way higher I would expect Set 1 to stay where it is or maybe even go up a little (since fewer Set 1 cards will be entering circulation).

For future Sets I agree, but for Set 1 because there is an oversupply from KS backers, the demand of Set 1 cards is going to be much less than the fancy new set, so people will be keen to offload.

Xenavire
06-12-2014, 08:06 AM
For future Sets I agree, but for Set 1 because there is an oversupply from KS backers, the demand of Set 1 cards is going to be much less than the fancy new set, so people will be keen to offload.

I think we have established that there is a healthy base, but no oversupply. We can't even make complete playsets for the king tiers and higher IIRC.

mudkip
06-12-2014, 08:50 AM
I guess because I have little interest in constructed (until PvE) I have a pretty pessimistic view of Set 1 worth. I'm looking forward to the AH to be proven wrong!

Xenavire
06-12-2014, 08:54 AM
I guess because I have little interest in constructed (until PvE) I have a pretty pessimistic view of Set 1 worth. I'm looking forward to the AH to be proven wrong!

I am just looking forward, period. As much as I love what we have now, I am hungry for new stuff. And the AH is going to be priceless, the conerstone of the game.

I still want trading, and gimmie guilds! :D

I am increasingly optimistic about set 1's value, btw.

Xtopher
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm not clear what people think they may be missing out on. Set 1 will still be on sale, it will still be a part of every format, both constructed and limited. If this goes like the TCG Hex is based on, Set 1 will still be on sale when Sets 3 and 4 come out (and possibly sets 5 and 6 -- not up to date on their projected rotation schedule) and will still be used in both constructed and limited formats.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Even if that is true (and there's reason to doubt it, especially as the player base increases), any downward pressure on Set 1 prices shouldn't really have anything to do with Set 2 existing or not existing.

TheFallenLord
06-22-2014, 08:41 PM
See, I think the real problem with your perception of the situation is that you keep using the phrase "move to set 2."

We're not moving anywhere. We're getting another stack of cards added into the game to accompany the stack that are already there.

Any new players that join in Open Beta after Set 2 releases are simply going to join a game with a card pool twice as big as it is now. They're not going to "miss out" on anything. Well, except for playing with half the cards that they're going to be able to play with when they do join the game.

I don't think it's even remotely comparable to WoW or any other MMO launching an expansion. Burning Crusade completely obsoleted all level 60 endgame content, for instance. There was literally no reason to run any of the many level 60 instances and raids, nor any groups wishing to do so. If you didn't play WoW pre-TBC then yes you absolutely did miss out on enjoying some content.

Hex doubling the card pool means nothing of the sort.

Would agree, but if its like other tcg's, we don't know the power creep between sets.

odjn
06-23-2014, 06:14 AM
While I agree that the WoW example might be a bit extreme, I think that at its foundation, the comparison holds true because the introduction of Set 2, like the introduction of any new significant PVP game content, strongly affects the game experience. With Burning Crusade, it did completely change the landscape. I am in no way expecting Set 2 to effect such a significant change with Hex.

Still, because of how high the quality of Set 1 is, and my trust in Crypto, I believe that Set 2 will bring in more fun cards, some with new abilities possibly unique to Hex, and some very powerful cards that will alter the landscape, if even just a little bit, of current gameplay. Drafts will also be significantly different because 2/3rds of the cards will now be from the next set- this is a significant change to gameplay, which players looking in will never experience. Now, if we're talking about trade value, which the original post is not primarily about... or really about at all, I can see set 2 devaluing set 1 cards. If there is powercreep, then Set 2 cards will outright replace Set 1 cards. If AH does not come out before set 2- and not just before, but before with enough time to enjoy the trading game- then that would also be a negative thing taking away from the Set 1 experience from everyone.

I wouldn't see any of these elements as more than the annoyance of progress and change, which are necessary for anything trying to stay relevant over the course of time. Hex has to grow and develop, at a pace to satisfy its playing base without closing the doors to new players. I believe that introducing Set 2 without opening up the game to the public misses the new player base of folks who know about the game but cannot get in, and because of that is unfair to them and ultimately, because of this, makes it a premature release.

Kami
06-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Also have to remember that the first few sets will make up the 'core' of HEX on the PvP side of things. Everything else in the future will be built off this foundation.

Even if they released Set 3 before making it open to the public, it would not have a huge impact going forward unless they started releasing things that are no longer foundation based.

Erukk
06-23-2014, 06:52 AM
While I don't like them releasing the second set during beta, I do understand their reasoning behind their decision. As listed above, TCGs have to continually release sets to stay alive. At some point though, newer players will just have to suck it up, and they have to accept the fact that they missed out on playing certain sets right when they first released.

The same thing happens when new players get into older card games like pokeman, yugioh (is that one even still around?), and MTG. New players to the franchise have missed out on a huge number of older sets when they were active. It's just something they have to deal with.

Ebynfel
06-23-2014, 07:04 AM
While I don't like them releasing the second set during beta, I do understand their reasoning behind their decision. As listed above, TCGs have to continually release sets to stay alive. At some point though, newer players will just have to suck it up, and they have to accept the fact that they missed out on playing certain sets right when they first released.

The same thing happens when new players get into older card games like pokeman, yugioh (is that one even still around?), and MTG. New players to the franchise have missed out on a huge number of older sets when they were active. It's just something they have to deal with.

Not to mention with standard rotations and competitive formats revolving around newer sets, it's usually not too big of a deal to take the plunge a little later. At some point or another, most everyone who ever played a TCG was in the same position.

TheFallenLord
06-23-2014, 10:11 AM
The difference here though the game is not even out...people can't buy in even if they wanted to.

Bullus
06-23-2014, 10:15 AM
i am presuming no one who has posted in this thread ever played vanilla wow. To use TCG analogies, BC was 2nd block, and AQ and Naxx in Vanilla where like set 2 and 3 within that block

this in no way means i supports CZE decisions regarding set 2 and their focus on TCG over MMO (had long rant about this but decided to cut it, cause, hell if you don't have over 1000 posts and a twitch stream seems ya don't matter around here so leaving it at that til i get frustrated enough to make my own rant at CZE thread)

funktion
06-23-2014, 10:29 AM
The difference here though the game is not even out...people can't buy in even if they wanted to.

Have you posted on the general thread asking for keys? Have you watched any of the streams giving away keys? It is pretty easy to get a key if you actually want to. I know Neo (http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0) has given out a pretty large number of keys and continues to do so. Mokog and myself will be giving out at least one as well as a draft ticket later this week but that's not nearly the quantity that you'd see in other places.

i am presuming no one who has posted in this thread ever played vanilla wow. To use TCG analogies, BC was 2nd block, and AQ and Naxx in Vanilla where like set 2 and 3 within that block

Using MMORPG raiding as an example probably isn't the best. In those games typically releasing new raid content invalidates the previous content for the most part, even without putting out an entirely new expansion. You're still going to want to have a decent number of set 1 cards to round out your collection. TCG's build on past content rather than releasing content independent of the past.

Xenavire
06-23-2014, 10:34 AM

this in no way means i supports CZE decisions regarding set 2 and their focus on TCG over MMO (had long rant about this but decided to cut it, cause, hell if you don't have over 1000 posts and a twitch stream seems ya don't matter around here so leaving it at that til i get frustrated enough to make my own rant at CZE thread)

Can I just say the analogy is pretty poor? Blizz only recently managed to put out new content patches regularly (about 3-4 months apart) and have still failed to make any content patches at the end of an expansion despite swearing up and down that it would never happen again.

TCG's don't have the luxuries of an MMO. The PvP sets are actually much closer to arena seasons than to the standard dungeon content in WoW - the PvP players always want something new, and the way Blizz keeps it fresh is by wiping the slate clean and dropping new gear (the same as a new TCG set.) The MMO portion is actually closer to the tabletop aspect of a TCG, in that you can use any content at any time, where PvP seasons/gear are gone when the 'block' is over.

Even then, I am stretching a lot to make this fit. I really think we need a new, cleaner, and more focused analogy.

Ebynfel
06-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Can I just say the analogy is pretty poor? Blizz only recently managed to put out new content patches regularly (about 3-4 months apart) and have still failed to make any content patches at the end of an expansion despite swearing up and down that it would never happen again.

TCG's don't have the luxuries of an MMO. The PvP sets are actually much closer to arena seasons than to the standard dungeon content in WoW - the PvP players always want something new, and the way Blizz keeps it fresh is by wiping the slate clean and dropping new gear (the same as a new TCG set.) The MMO portion is actually closer to the tabletop aspect of a TCG, in that you can use any content at any time, where PvP seasons/gear are gone when the 'block' is over.

Even then, I am stretching a lot to make this fit. I really think we need a new, cleaner, and more focused analogy.

new sets are like a box of chocolates....

Bullus
06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
i wasn't trying to use WoW as an analogy of a TCG, i was just pointing out how wrong the OP was for doing so (ie. saying BC was WoW's first adding of content), and correcting them some what. and Vanilla and BC new raids didn't invalidate old ones because you needed the gear (or attunements) from earlier raids to do the newer ones.

Gen91
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM

PvP cards in Hex are like items in f2p mmos, that can be bought with $ or obtained with a lot of grinding.

And that's the reason why many people complain about the set 2 release.

F2p players want to have the chance and time, to get a good shae of the PvP cards by grinding PvE and selling/trading PvE cards for PvP cards or platinum.
With 2 sets of PvP cards (or even mmore) being avaiable, when PvE launches means these players have to get twice as much PvP cards till a new set comes out than normally.

The only way to compensate for this is to release so much PvE content and cards, that it's possible to get PvP cards worth 2 sets by trading PvE cards, mats what else there is.

odjn
06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Shoot, let me start by apologizing for the poor analogy I began the thread with, though I believe that it still gets the point across. The real discussion should center around whether set 2 will have a significant change on the game. My stand is that yes it will. The next part is whether the game should be open to the public before releasing this new content. I began by stating that it should be, because players looking in who legitimately want to play (this should not be confused with players who are oblivious to the game or disinterested in it) are likely feeling badly that they are missing the boat on playing the unadulterated original game, which is Set 1.

Now, of course there are two sides. The game needs to progress for the current player base, and missing Set 1 is not going to end anyone's world. Furthermore, it might do more damage to the game if it doesn't continue to grow to accommodate the player base who is getting bored with set 1. I would say that they would be better appeased with PVE content, the ability to open chests, crafting, the auction house and trading. All of these and making the game open to the public would be higher on the priority chain for me. But, I'm not one of the devs, I don't know what all is on the line, and with the lawsuit, adding in content that would truly set Hex apart from MtG:O like the cards with that new ability in Set 2 could be a good move in further legitimizing Hex as an original game in its own right. While I do personally believe that the PVE content and crafting might be just as suitable if not more so at setting Hex apart, once again, I'm not one of the devs or even a lawyer, so my opinion on that is not at all legitimate.

TL; DR Finding a solid comparison was never the point of the thread, but rather we should remember that there are folks out there who are looking in wanting to play and are likely dismayed by the fact that they cannot play the game yet and made even sadder by the addition that they are at least missing out on the original game- set 1.

Vorpal
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Many TCG's I have played I got in on the ground floor. Those are the ones I remember most fondly.

Others I jumped after they'd started. For those, my biggest problem, was not buying the 'wrong' packs at the local store. As a new player I had no way to know which packs were the 'right' ones and which weren't. The store owner threw them all up there just the same.

This is not a problem Hex will have, as they have full and total control over which packs are being sold. A new players isn't going to be faced by a dizzying panoply of boosters and starters and have to figure out just what in the hell is going on, he'll see in the store exactly what Hex wants him to see.

AswanJaguar
06-23-2014, 08:54 PM
TL; DR Finding a solid comparison was never the point of the thread, but rather we should remember that there are folks out there who are looking in wanting to play and are likely dismayed by the fact that they cannot play the game yet and made even sadder by the addition that they are at least missing out on the original game- set 1.

I started playing Magic in 1995 with Ice Age. This was the last expansion (along with Alliances) that didn't use the 3 expansion block system used today. It was a large set: 383 cards. 2 months prior, 4th edition was released and it was 378 cards. I came in as a brand new TCG player, never having played one before. I had no idea the game had been out for over 2 years at that point, and even though I later learned that Ice Age was the 12th set that Magic had put out, I wasn't overly upset that I hadn't been around to play from the start. I was jealous that the cards from Alpha and Beta were worth so much, but I jumped right into the current set, bought packs and played to my heart's content.

Sure, there were guys with decks that put mine to shame and at that point limited play wasn't a thing yet but I still had fun because the game was awesome. Great art, fantasy themes and a story line that played out in front of you. If I as a complete TCG virgin could come in comfortably and play a couple of months after two huge sets were released and the total card pool was in the thousands, I don't feel particularly concerned for players in the open beta. They will likely have more experience than I had (not hard) and they have access to complete card lists, visual spoilers and Youtube videos showing them how to play and what draft archetypes are available. Really, it's going to be just fine.

Cory_Jones
06-23-2014, 09:13 PM
huh, any want these 3 beta keys?...

:)

1482-b7e3-8364-4152
1e23-13ff-73c7-4284
5486-e2ce-400c-4d3f

Kilo24
06-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Might as well join in.

2b6e-bcbd-7294-4f035

Bullus
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM

sorry mate, wasn't knocking ya, as a vanilla wow player i just wanted to correct the misconception of it.

Xenavire
06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
huh, any want these 3 beta keys?...

:)

1482-b7e3-8364-4152
1e23-13ff-73c7-4284
5486-e2ce-400c-4d3f

Loving the new avatar Cory.

Degnash
06-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Anyone have any more? I've tried these codes, but they say invalid.

I've been an avid Wow Tcg fan until it ended, and would love to experience HEX. Please message me if you have an extra key!

valyn205762
06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
uhg i want a key so bad... wonder how many of these keys posted to the public get nabbed by ppl already in the game...

Xenavire
06-24-2014, 12:20 PM
uhg i want a key so bad... wonder how many of these keys posted to the public get nabbed by ppl already in the game...

I would say not many. People already in the game get almost 0 benefit from having a blank account on top of whatever else they have (because of no trading.)

My guess is that every key ends up snatched by someone who genuinely needs it.

mach
06-24-2014, 01:10 PM
I would say not many. People already in the game get almost 0 benefit from having a blank account on top of whatever else they have (because of no trading.)

That was correct before today, but now using a second account gives you access to another starter trial without having to buy a starter.

Plus all the cards from the starter deck+trial rewards, which seem to be AHable.

Banquetto
06-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Plus all the cards from the starter deck+trial rewards, which seem to be AHable.

They launched the AH without making the starter deck non-tradable? Oh, man..

Skirovik
06-24-2014, 07:56 PM
They launched the AH without making the starter deck non-tradable? Oh, man..

Your initial Starter Deck should never be tradable due to it being free.

Ju66ernaut
06-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Your initial Starter Deck should never be tradable due to it being free.

We paid for our starter decks. The free ones are in another castle.

mach
06-24-2014, 08:01 PM

The cards in the free starter deck are listable on the AH.

Skirovik
06-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Didn't the bonus Beta Keys come with a Starter Deck? I thought this meant everyone got 1 free Starter Deck.

Parzival
06-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't call them free starter decks, they are $10 decks that beta key holders received one of.

Not to be confused with the initial "beginner" deck, one for Ardent and one for Underworld that will come with any free account created (presumably from open beta onwards)

The cards from that deck will be account bound.

Xenavire
06-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Don't call them free starter decks, they are $10 decks that beta key holders received one of.

Not to be confused with the initial "beginner" deck, one for Ardent and one for Underworld that will come with any free account created (presumably from open beta onwards)

Wrong. It has been confirmed that the choice you make when you enter your lord/lady name is the free deck. A dev even told us those decks were already flagged

Svenn
06-25-2014, 06:49 AM

The Starter decks ARE the "beginner" decks you get on creating an account. There are not separate decks for new users.