PDA

View Full Version : Mac client - is it just me?

TimPelican
06-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi all,

I'd like to start off by apologising for entering the community with a fairly negative post, and by saying that I've been hugely excited about Hex since the Kickstarter launched. Watching it develop, I love the artwork, the lore, the card set looks to be great, and I've hardly scratched the surface of the possible interactions, the elements that just wouldn't be workable in a phyiscal TCG. On top of that, PvE, when it arrives, is exactly what I was looking for in a game. Butů

The Mac client :(

-It's slow. Really, wading through treacle slow. And it's caning my box to get there - after about 15-20 minutes, the body of my iMac is too hot to touch.
-Most of the time, I can't even see the wonderful artwork, because the cards are in this tiny shrunken view.
-It loses mouse clicks, a lot. And I need to right-click a lot, because that's the only way I can see the damn cards! Sometimes three or four right clicks before the zoomed view actually happens, and the same again to get back to the regular view.
-Fire and light particle effects *everywhere*. Even on the off-chance that I can see the cards, and the program responds to my mouse clicks, I can barely work out what's going on.

I'm fully prepared to admit that I'm an idiot, and there's somewhere I can change all of this - I'd love for that to be the case. I really want to be able to turn all the animations down to minimum, and have large, readable-size cards by default. Make me scroll if needs be, but let me read stuff. Take a look at Hearthstone (not the game-play, I'm fully aware that the two games are vastly different, just the UI) - it's lightweight, it's slick, everything is easily readable.

I'd love to be playing Hex right now, but it feels like the client is fighting me every step of the way. And fighting something that's supposed to be fun isn't how I want to spend my time.

Hopefully a dozen people can jump on me and tell me where I'm going wrong, or that there's a wonderful revamped Mac client coming in X months. In any case, thanks for listening.

Regards,
Tim.

(In case it matters, iMac 3GHz i3, HD 4670 256M. Not some crazy gaming rig, but seriously, a turn-based card game shouldn't break it.)

DataDragon
06-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Hello fellow mac user.

I run the game on current model mac mini, a 2009 macbook pro, and a current model imac, and only the 2009 model shows any signs of slowness.
The client is still slated for some refinements over time, so any of the older models are going to suffer for it during beta.
The mac and windows clients are developed alongside each other, so there's nothing special done for either flavor.

My suggestions would be:
Try out the different resolutions and see if that helps how things look.
You might also want to make sure you don't have any resource hog programs running in your background.

The 2009 macbook pro I use has a core 2 duo, and seems to be running the game fine all day without any major issues.
If these or anyone else's suggestions aren't of any help, I would say to wait for more optimizations.
I agree that it shouldn't be a chore to try and enjoy the game.
If you see anything that just seems odd, try repairing your client, and if it still acts up, send me some screenshots.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Yeah. It seems all right to me on a late-2011 model MacBook Pro. The only issue I sometimes see is trouble with initial loading - shutting down some applications and trying again usually resolves it. Once it is running, it seems fine. The slowness of animations and priority pass doesn't seem unique to the mac experience.

Werlix
06-12-2014, 01:09 PM
How many times have you tried the client? It's possible you went on at a bad time when the server was stressing out. Sometimes that happens and everything goes painfully slow. Thankfully that's rare these days, so I'd suggest trying it again.

Though from the sounds of it your Mac is struggling a wee bit, overheating etc. It does seem like a lower spec computer - do you play any other modern games on it? Maybe you need to get a cheap PC :)

Idus
06-12-2014, 01:50 PM
I don't have any of humour issues on my iMac, but it is an i7. Are you running In full screen mode? When the client first came out, I had multiple issues with full screen, so changed to windowed mode and have been playing that way ever since. While the max resolution in windowed mode is still a bit small for my screen, it's been basically stable since doing that.i do experience lag sometimes, but I'm pretty sure that's always server lag.

TimPelican
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
@DataDragon: Do you know if there's any intention to add some options to the client to turn down the bells and whistles? I'm here for the game-play, I really don't need to see the cards flip into place, shuffle themselves, light and fire everywhere. The only effect I quite like is for cards with flight, and even that would work fine as an icon. I appreciate that the guys with the gaming PCs that can handle it want all the shineys, but a "lite" option would be nice.

@Werlix: I've tried only a handful of occasions, so maybe I picked some unlucky times. I think the iMac is supposed to use the whole aluminium body as a heat-sink, there are no fans, but nothing else stresses it out quite the same. I do play games on it, but either turn-based war-games and RPGs, or retro stuff from the likes of GoG. I seem to remember my first 386 PC back in 1993 came with a game that let you move cards with pictures on around the screen, how much horsepower can it need? ;)

@Idus: I haven't tried windowed mode, I will definitely give that a go, thanks.

Thanks all for the input, and the positive response to my frustrations - I was half-way expecting some serious flamage...

Xenavire
06-12-2014, 02:39 PM
@DataDragon: Do you know if there's any intention to add some options to the client to turn down the bells and whistles? I'm here for the game-play, I really don't need to see the cards flip into place, shuffle themselves, light and fire everywhere. The only effect I quite like is for cards with flight, and even that would work fine as an icon. I appreciate that the guys with the gaming PCs that can handle it want all the shineys, but a "lite" option would be nice.

@Werlix: I've tried only a handful of occasions, so maybe I picked some unlucky times. I think the iMac is supposed to use the whole aluminium body as a heat-sink, there are no fans, but nothing else stresses it out quite the same. I do play games on it, but either turn-based war-games and RPGs, or retro stuff from the likes of GoG. I seem to remember my first 386 PC back in 1993 came with a game that let you move cards with pictures on around the screen, how much horsepower can it need? ;)

@Idus: I haven't tried windowed mode, I will definitely give that a go, thanks.

Thanks all for the input, and the positive response to my frustrations - I was half-way expecting some serious flamage...

Pretty sure it is the lighting and particle effects. There aren't a lot of them, but they eat up resources. The high quality images for cards don't help.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I echo the wish for a way to turn off/down effects - they can be a bit ridiculous and make attacking/blocking kind of horrendous (and slow) on crowded boards (which happen a lot given the number of ways to spam out shin'hare and robots). My ideal world would be a toggle similar to Civ V where I can switch to a flat, top down, no-frills view.

teddyclaw
06-13-2014, 12:32 AM
I am playing on a mac book pro late 2011 osx version 10.9.2 most of the time. I did have some initial problems with the full screen, as others mentioned before. But this seems to be a shared problem with both mac and pc. Other than since switching to windowed mode only it is working very smoothly. If I have issues it is normally the server or the crappy internet connection (I am playing form hotel rooms a lot). So thumbs up for the mac client :D

Also, +1 on the option to scale down the effects. While they are shiny, I think you do not really need them in order to immerse into the gameplay. Some I think add to the immediate understanding of what it going on (flyers, the colored lines indicating which creatures attacks which other one) but the "damage lights" in particular I think could live without easily.

Makizushi
06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
I returned to the game after a few weeks of absence and, for me at least, the improvements are tremendous!

My MBA's fan still kicks in, but to a lesser degree. The interface and the game itself are much faster. So personally, no issues and it's only gotten better.

That's on an MBA from 2013, with 10.9 and a bucket of RAM ;)

fido_one
06-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I returned to the game after a few weeks of absence and, for me at least, the improvements are tremendous!

My MBA's fan still kicks in, but to a lesser degree. The interface and the game itself are much faster. So personally, no issues and it's only gotten better.

That's on an MBA from 2013, with 10.9 and a bucket of RAM ;)

My experience is quite different, 2013 MBA with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and it just murders the laptop with amping up the temp and killing the battery. I experienced most of the issues the OP lists.

Not saying it's bad though! Just... not as good as an experience as Makizushi has had (then again I wasn't using the Mac client since day one). Got me through a trip where I didn't have access to my main rig, though I did lose a game or two due to what I perceived as a hell of a lot more lag than my PC client.

Out of all the things I'm concerned about Hex, where the clients themselves will be for PC/Mac/Tablet isn't one of them, the steady progression has been kinda awesome.

DataDragon
06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
I would be curious to know why 2 people with newer macs have completely opposite experiences.
There must be some major difference for there to be such a change.
For my 2009 mac to have an easier time than a 2013 mac, I suspect there is more at play.

Those having issues, I would again recommend that you try a client repair from the patcher.
Many times, corrupted files that were downloaded oddly can cause bad performance.
If that doesn't change your experience dramatically, then it may be time to compare OS versions and running programs.
This is all important work to figure out because we want everyone to have as flawless an experience as possible.

pheedsta
06-13-2014, 03:54 PM
I have a brand new MacBook Pro retina with 16GB RAM with OS X Mavericks. The game runs very quick and smoothly for me but the fan runs flat out as soon as a game starts (for some reason the machine generates an enormous amount if heat). It has been like this from early alpha (running the client on windows 7 via parallels) and has continued for me through beta (windows and OS X).

laborlawlarry
06-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Why do the sound effects disappear after a game in the Mac Client? Is this a known bug, or is this just something that happens on my machine?

Xenavire
06-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Why do the sound effects disappear after a game in the Mac Client? Is this a known bug, or is this just something that happens on my machine?

It happens on PC too, and quite often. Not a mac-only thing.

fido_one
06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
I would be curious to know why 2 people with newer macs have completely opposite experiences.
For my 2009 mac to have an easier time than a 2013 mac, I suspect there is more at play.

Those having issues, I would again recommend that you try a client repair from the patcher.
Many times, corrupted files that were downloaded oddly can cause bad performance.
If that doesn't change your experience dramatically, then it may be time to compare OS versions and running programs.
This is all important work to figure out because we want everyone to have as flawless an experience as possible.

Data, I'll reproduce results when I can - it's my wife's MBA and she's out of the state for a bit. When she gets back I'll fire it up, double check it's cleaned out, etc.

deejay
06-16-2014, 05:10 AM
I must admit I have a similar issue on a core duo MBA where the patcher / client takes over 110-140% resources (realise this is activity monitor having issues / nature of the cores etc), the fan comes on and generates a lot of heat. Generally it is playable if a little laggy and saves on central heating bills in the winter. I used to get the same issue playing under VMware / crossover.

On my iMac it works ok now that it is native. Under VMware it used to monopolise the resources in the same way.

fido_one
06-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Right, I'm going to look into this either tonight or, worse case scenario, this weekend and report back to this thread. Was wrong on the specs, it's an i7 2013 MBA with 8GB of RAM, not 16GB. I should know that, but I'm kinda stupid.

Makizushi
06-20-2014, 04:22 AM
It's even weirder that Fido and myself appear to have the same, or comparable hardware. Both have a Macbook Air from 2013. He has 16GB of RAM, I have 8. Both will have a comparable SSD, reckon we're both running OS 10.9

Meh :/

Is there anything you'd want from us specifically?

Many games include an option to create a system-info dump with all the relevant information. Hex have anything like that, tucked away in the app bundle?

DataDragon
06-20-2014, 12:30 PM
There's not anything like that in there that I know of.
I have to wonder what else is running in the background that might cause such a difference.

Makizushi
06-22-2014, 12:42 PM
In my case it's usually only a few tabs of Safari, Mail and Evernote. Sometimes Transmission running torrents, which doesn't negatively affect things.

I do have nasty connection glitches, but those are caused by my own wifi network and are not related to the game itself.

Makizushi
06-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Awesome! :)

Mac client update at the same time as the Windows client. Downloading the updates right now. Great work team!

DataDragon
06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Windows and osx clients are now built and published at the same time, so we shouldn't have a delay anymore, barring special circumstances.

Makizushi
06-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Yup, that's what you guys promised last time and thus I'm rejoicing that it's actual fact :)