PDA

View Full Version : Attention Devs: Please provide an incentive for Constructed other than a Tournament

Kramer
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Although I play around 3-4 drafts a week, I like when I only have 15-30 minutes to play a constructed game. However, I often wait quite a while in the queue. Is it possible to offer something like 250 gold to winner, 100 gold to loser or something to entice more players to play constructed. I am not asking for a lot of gold, just something to encourage more than just drafting.

I would love a ranking system, but stuff like trading and PvE should take precedence. Does anyone else agree with me or have any other ideas (besides the AH since that should help next week)?

I know Constructed tournaments exist but I have never seen one go off and I play at many different times throughout the day.

If this was mentioned in a previous post, I apologize in advance.

Xenavire
06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Well, a ladder/rating system is planned obviously, and I am not sure what else could help except for adding special prizes to the constructed queues (which would only make people complain that they are being left out because their favourite queue is not getting X reward that constructed is.)

So I would say - wait for the AH to sort out a few of the issues, and then reevaluate. I am sure constructed will be more popular with set 2 as well.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Well I won't be surprised id 2-man queues a la MTGO are a thing at some point.

Werlix
06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Although I play around 3-4 drafts a week, I like when I only have 15-30 minutes to play a constructed game. However, I often wait quite a while in the queue. Is it possible to offer something like 250 gold to winner, 100 gold to loser or something to entice more players to play constructed. I am not asking for a lot of gold, just something to encourage more than just drafting.

I would love a ranking system, but stuff like trading and PvE should take precedence. Does anyone else agree with me or have any other ideas (besides the AH since that should help next week)?

I know Constructed tournaments exist but I have never seen one go off and I play at many different times throughout the day.

If this was mentioned in a previous post, I apologize in advance.

Proving Grounds will never have a Gold reward. This is because it's too easy to game the system, trade wins etc. Proving Grounds is meant for just a random bit of fun.

Eventually once AH is up and running, constructed queues will fill up and we will have reward based constructed play happening. Hopefully they also open up 2-man queues.

Clawdius
06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I think that could be interesting, and it would certainly provide additional incentive to play in the proving grounds while we wait for an official announcement regarding PVE. What I'd like to see them do is livestream a dungeon, since Cory has talked about having played one in game and all... I mean, it has been over a year since update 15 where we were told that a PVE livestream would be coming "further in the future" which is honestly so vague as to have practically no meaning. Until then I think being able to accumulate as much gold as a first round tournament loss by winning 20 matches or losing 50 would provide some incentive to actually queuing up for a match rather than just watching the list of people in the proving grounds and challenging one of the most recent additions.

It would also allow people who bought into the game thinking that they would be able to get platinum from the AH in order to finance their tourneys some means of accumulating resources without spending more actual money on Hex. I am aware that the AH has been said to be coming in this upcoming patch, but I'm not entirely certain that was supposed to be the case. After all, the AH was a "Future Future" update just a few short weeks ago, and "Further in the Future" in update 15 meant "well over a year from now" (unless I somehow missed a PVE livestream) so I am not banking on it being in this upcoming update until there is an official announcement.

I'd love to have more reason to fire up Hex than to ponder sinking more cash into it to draft, or to stare at my collection and dream of what may be.

YourOpponent
06-12-2014, 01:49 PM

The problem with that idea though is people would just trade wins and surrender at as few turns as possible just to get the gold...and not actually be playing the game.

Quasari
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
100 plat, 2 person tourney. Reward = one pack. Go

hex_colin
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
The problem with that idea though is people would just trade wins and surrender at as few turns as possible just to get the gold...and not actually be playing the game.

Worse than that - they are so many people with multiple accounts that they could literally print money. It's just not going to happen.

Clawdius
06-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Hmmm, a constructed match, winner takes the pack? I like that idea actually, it would be like gambling half the price of a pack on the match and Hex LLC still makes the price of a pack.

AswanJaguar
06-12-2014, 01:58 PM
In a recent update it was stated that people who play constructed using the "Play" button will have a chance to win rewards. I can't seem to find it now, but there are plans to incentivize Proving Grounds play using the matchmaking.

Quasari
06-12-2014, 02:21 PM
In a recent update it was stated that people who play constructed using the "Play" button will have a chance to win rewards. I can't seem to find it now, but there are plans to incentivize Proving Grounds play using the matchmaking.

Only during events.

Xenavire
06-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Only during events.

And a certain someone (Colin, you tease) mentioned that it might not only be during special events.

Can't take that as fact, but there is hope.

Banquetto
06-12-2014, 02:44 PM

As long as you only award gold for opponents challenged through a matchmaker, not directly, it works OK.

At least, it works OK in other games (such as, for instance, Hearthstone) where the currency earned is actually the prime currency for the game, so it would certainly work for a game like Hex where gold is a "lesser" currency.

Zomnivore
06-12-2014, 03:52 PM
I remember talk about matches done through the matchmaking system attributing to a ranking system of some sort a while back...at least thats what I think I remember them talking about.

cferejohn
06-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Hmmm, a constructed match, winner takes the pack? I like that idea actually, it would be like gambling half the price of a pack on the match and Hex LLC still makes the price of a pack.

Fwiw MTGO does exactly this (except 2 tickets rather than 100 plat of course).

Yoss
06-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Didn't read past the OP, but the answer is AUCTION HOUSE. Once that's in, Constructed will become a thing because people will finally be able to put together the decks they want without opening 800 packs.

Also, just like Sealed, Constructed tournaments should be asynchronous eventually.
(link)

a-V-e-n
06-12-2014, 06:40 PM
The biggest problem is there's practically NO incentive to play constructed at all. AH despite being absolutely necessary is not solving this. Just look at the cost to enter the 8 man constructed queue. 300 plat. This would be fine if packs were actually worth 200 plat but we know they'll be much much lower so it's a massively negative EV.

What's needed is larger tournaments that have actual positive EV - higher amount of packs given out than the total plat spent on entry fee would be able to buy from the store. Magic Online actually does this in the form of Daily Events - the main reason to have a constructed deck on MTGO.

2nd thing is even larger tournaments with really big prizes, the reason to "go pro". Those don't necessarily need to be positive EV, the lure of a big win should be enough.

ylhos
06-12-2014, 06:48 PM

This sounds fun.

I was thinking of making the constructed tourney buy-in at 100, with a total prize pool of 4 packs. Could be winner takes all or top two 3-1 packs.

Yoss
06-12-2014, 06:58 PM
This sounds fun.

I was thinking of making the constructed tourney buy-in at 100, with a total prize pool of 4 packs. Could be winner takes all or top two 3-1 packs.
The 2-man "tournament" idea is basically swiss, which is pretty lame if you're a competitive player.

I like the asynchronous touranment idea much better, and it's already on Chark's list to do:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=32002
You still get a full single elimination tournament without the 8-player queue times.

Ebynfel
06-12-2014, 08:02 PM
The 2-man "tournament" idea is basically swiss, which is pretty lame if you're a competitive player.

I like the asynchronous touranment idea much better, and it's already on Chark's list to do:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=32002
You still get a full single elimination tournament without the 8-player queue times.

Actually it works out quite well i nthat other game for deck testing. Taking an unproven deck fro mthe proving grounds to tournaments can be rough, and as an intermediary step, seeing how you fare vs the cheapest options of people putting up real money increases the chances you're hitting meta defined decks to check your odds. It was also the heads up pauper queues that made me some of the most profits on MtGO and I don't see this as a bad thing at all in a competitive environment. For testing or the "I only have an hour" moments, it's a very useful tool to have at your disposal.