PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - E3 2014

Shaqattaq
06-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Hey HEXers! Itís been a busy week. E3 wrapped up yesterday, and our Level Up Latin America friends just dropped by the office with press to take a close look at HEX.

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-e3-2014/

jasta85
06-13-2014, 06:07 PM
No complaints about more cards, although PLEASE LET US OPEN OUR CHESTS! I've got so many that are sitting there looking at me with sad puppydog eyes.

We've got a good thing going here, really hope WotC doesn't screw it up for us

Shivdaddy
06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
No AH next week makes me sad. I need some plat.

Idus
06-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Ommmm Ommmm Ommmm

negativeZer0
06-13-2014, 06:34 PM
No complaints about more cards, although PLEASE LET US OPEN OUR CHESTS! I've got so many that are sitting there looking at me with sad puppydog eyes.

We've got a good thing going here, really hope WotC doesn't screw it up for us

Chests contain pve items you wont be able to open them until pve is implemented

Fateanomaly
06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
AH delayed. Not surprising but still disappointed.

incitfulmonk21
06-13-2014, 07:12 PM
No AH is disheartening but in the end still want those set 2 spoilers :)

Fateanomaly
06-13-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't mind getting a preview of 1 pve card per day to tide us over till pve opens. :) The pve cards are ready after all right?

laborlawlarry
06-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I really don't get why Set Two is necessary to "keep the game fresh." The game isn't even released yet -- it is in CLOSED beta. Who are we keeping the game fresh for? Releasing an expansion to keep a game "fresh," when the game isn't even released yet seems weird to me. Just my 1 cent.

zadies
06-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Given basically anyone who spent money on the kickstarter would be considered a whale by most f2p standards it makes sense that they release new cards to keep that core audience entertained.

Chiany
06-13-2014, 08:23 PM
So again no new PVE info (that it's being worked on we already know), Patch is being delayed (surprise surprise) without a new date.

Yep, I'm gonna stick by my expectations that we won't see any PVE untill the 1st or 2nd Quarter of 2015.

Fateanomaly
06-13-2014, 09:01 PM
How about giving us an option to get some gold outside of tournament for us PvE centric people while we wait for the pve to open?

Prodygi
06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
AH delayed. Not surprising but still disappointed.

Fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Don't think anyone really thinks AH will be ON TIME. Such is the level of confidence.

Clay_B
06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Chests contain pve items you wont be able to open them until pve is implemented

I have PVE items in my inventory right now from spinning the wheels- why couldn't the same apply

hexnaes
06-13-2014, 11:32 PM
I have PVE items in my inventory right now from spinning the wheels- why couldn't the same apply

I don't think the equipment has been finalized/finished yet. Most likely there isn't a complete list of items that the chests will contain, so we can't open until they lock that down.

If they allowed chest opening then start adding items to the loot table at a later date, there would probably be a lot of annoyed people. Best to just let the chests sit around a bit longer.

AstaSyneri
06-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Weíll continue to show PVE progress as it develops and becomes polished enough for public display.

We are in Closed Beta. We are backers. We don't care about polished enough - we just want to see that it's going on. There are literally hundreds of items, pieces of art for PvE cards, there are dungeon location backgrounds, there are prototypes however broken. Just show us something to shut us the frig up! We take the most meagre of bones, but we (that is the PvE group) are getting basically starved information-wise :(.

Just as a general note: I am getting sick of PvE players being considered the "cheap shots who just want to play for free". We have plenty of PvE players in the guild who nearly have a playset of the supposedly PvP cards. Players interested in the dungeons will buy boosters, they are just as much into the game as those who are primarily interested in clobbering poor other chaps.

I really don't get why Set Two is necessary to "keep the game fresh." The game isn't even released yet -- it is in CLOSED beta. Who are we keeping the game fresh for? Releasing an expansion to keep a game "fresh," when the game isn't even released yet seems weird to me. Just my 1 cent.

I am with laborlawlarry here. We all know that we are the guinea pigs - and are having fun doing that. In terms of numbers we are just a very small sample of what Hex will have. The argument is valid for a printed CCG, not for a virtual one that doesn't even have constructed tournaments for its Set 1. Hex is great, but we can't even play proper tournaments.

Given basically anyone who spent money on the kickstarter would be considered a whale by most f2p standards it makes sense that they release new cards to keep that core audience entertained.

No it doesn't. Whoever has invested as much money as many of us have, will come back once the features are there. It's not like Hex is the only game on our hard drives. AH/direct trading, Constructed tournaments, guild features, PvE.

I'll happily buy more boosters once we have the Arena in play and I can actually play. Just having drafts sucks - I just don't enjoy them.

Yes, I am disappointed about yet another delay of crucial features which directly impacts our TUC dungeon which starts today. While player teams suffer a bit, we only have a limited number of DMs who can play the challenge decks yet. An organizational nightmare...

Yuhan
06-14-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm sad....

redman2112
06-14-2014, 01:28 AM
I love how everyone is freaking out over set 2 being released. You guys need to have a little more faith in Cory. He has been involved with TCGs for 20 years. I think we can all trust his judgement when it comes to making decisions about what will help/hurt the game. I know people are worried about PVE being delayed but they need to realize that if PVP got really stale and people weren't playing (or testing) at all that would not be a good thing for the game as a whole.

Edswor
06-14-2014, 01:38 AM

It's not an "expansion", it's only more content available for all the players in the closed beta.

Berkhtar
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
I love how everyone is freaking out over set 2 being released. You guys need to have a little more faith in Cory. He has been involved with TCGs for 20 years. I think we can all trust his judgement when it comes to making decisions about what will help/hurt the game. I know people are worried about PVE being delayed but they need to realize that if PVP got really stale and people weren't playing (or testing) at all that would not be a good thing for the game as a whole.

Look at Hearthstone. This game is played by millions and no set 2 at the horizon. They will only add 30 cards in the middle of the summer.

Really thing the whole team has no clue ablot project management. They have no milestones, they have no deadlines... every single promised release date is postponed. Even if it was scheduled for months after it was planned at the beginning.

Since the beginning of alpha they have only implented drafts to earn more money... and that's it. AI is still dumb as shit, games still freeze too often, tournaments are still down every second day because of any new crap.

As per Kickstarter the game should have been realeased meanwhile with all its features.... ridiculous.

I do not want Set 2, I want features: PvE, doubleback, scheduled tournaments, improved effects (the game still looks horrible compared to dotp or HS), AH, Trading... something to do except spending money for 3 hour drafts.

Concerning faith in Cory: They know how to copy MTG... that is everything they have proven up to now. We have not seen any of the interesting digital only features yet.

drui
06-14-2014, 06:21 AM
We are in Closed Beta...

Where can I sign this? I would take half broken dungeon any time before additional cards to buy... :-/

Cecil578
06-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Look at Hearthstone. This game is played by millions and no set 2 at the horizon. They will only add 30 cards in the middle of the summer.

And how many people that were in Heartstone beta do you know that still plays that game? it has no endgame, no reason to play, and essentially no future. All it is is a time killer. So comparing Hex to Heartstone.. I am glad that they are not the same :)

p.s. I just got my 2nd mail from blizzard saying: Come play heartstone and earn your nice Heartsteed ... so if they are having to resend that mail, gg blizz ^_^

Concerning faith in Cory: They know how to copy MTG... that is everything they have proven up to now. We have not seen any of the interesting digital only features yet.

How is socketed gems, effects / buffs being permanent and quite a few other things not a digital only feature ?

Yes we all want PvE and more content right away.. But I for one would rather be handed a well rounded and complete feature - PvE or
otherwise. Than get handed something that breaks down, stops and bugs out every other second..

Yes we are in Beta, yes we are supposed to test the game... But handing us stuff that dosnt work is no good either.. Let it come to us in due time. Beta is beta, untill the game has been officially launched we'll have to take things as they are ready.

Dichdude
06-14-2014, 10:55 AM

We know CZE can make cards; hell they release a new branded TCG about every month or two....

The one thing they have proved so far is they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to a computer game. I don't think one deadline has been hit since the start.

All this with going 'live' has slowed down the development of the game to a crawl as we can't even test features for them anymore.

I don't know if we should laugh or cry at the moment.

Odai
06-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Really thing the whole team has no clue ablot project management. They have no milestones, they have no deadlines... every single promised release date is postponed. Even if it was scheduled for months after it was planned at the beginning.

Since the beginning of alpha they have only implented drafts to earn more money... and that's it. AI is still dumb as shit, games still freeze too often, tournaments are still down every second day because of any new crap.

As per Kickstarter the game should have been realeased meanwhile with all its features.... ridiculous.

I do not want Set 2, I want features: PvE, doubleback, scheduled tournaments, improved effects (the game still looks horrible compared to dotp or HS), AH, Trading... something to do except spending money for 3 hour drafts.

I totally agree with this, i just checked in on hex since i backed them. And i was so excited for the Beta so play all the stuff. And now im sooo disapointed that it took them over 1 year to just create a playable demo... and now they throw out tournaments and a 2nd edition to grab more money o.O did they allready wasted over 2 million?

Man its still CLOSED beta why would they need a 2nd edition to keep things rolling? thats such bollocks in my opinion. If they want players they should hurry up with all the stuff they promised and make it open beta.

Dichdude
06-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Yes we are in Beta, yes we are supposed to test the game... But handing us stuff that dosnt work is no good either.. Let it come to us in due time. Beta is beta, untill the game has been officially launched we'll have to take things as they are ready.

I am tired of the 'this is in beta' excuse and get out clause for everything/anything that goes wrong in the game....The game is now in a pay to play state, if it wasn't then we could help test the game, but we can't.

redman2112
06-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Are you really comparing this game with Hearthstone! They are absolutely nothing a like. You may say Hearthstone is a TCG but it is a shell of a TCG. A real TCG takes strategy and actual skill to play while Hearthstone is way to easy and simple. Comparing the two of them is like comparing apples and oranges.

People want all the features RIGHT NOW but what they don't understand is that this has never been done before. This kind of game (especially the PVE) is all brand new ideas and concepts. Yes there has been many delays but for me it's understandable because this is a new idea being brought to us by a small team not a HUGE corporation like Blizzard hat could just keep throwing money at it till it's fixed. I mean look at all that they are trying to do, with a fixed budget AND they are now being sued and having to save up money for that.

If the situation was reversed and PVE was ahead of PVP would you want them to hold back a finished PVE dungeon to wait to get more PVP features in? That is the thing that irks me the most about all this whining. They had it finished so they are releasing it for testing.

The only argument I have heard that is somewhat decent is that they would have had to use engineers for the new cards and effects and keywords for set 2. But my counterargument to that is they need all that for PVE anyways. Realize that PVP is the BASE for everything PVE. PVE will grow out of PVP because it will use it as the starting point.

Have you ever even played a TCG before? Have you played HEX? Cause I have been playing TCGs for 12 years and this is nothing like any TCG I've played. That is because of the digital only features. I swear you have no idea what you are talking about. I think your pissed because you signed up for the MMO part but forgot that its a TCG.

mach
06-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Have you ever even played a TCG before? Have you played HEX? Cause I have been playing TCGs for 12 years and this is nothing like any TCG I've played. That is because of the digital only features. I swear you have no idea what you are talking about. I think your pissed because you signed up for the MMO part but forgot that its a TCG.

Digital-only features are nothing new. In fact, Magic had them...in 1997.

I haven't seen anything truly revolutionary in Hex yet. I presume that's what we'll see in PvE.

Bells
06-14-2014, 08:29 PM

I haven't seen anything truly revolutionary in Hex yet. I presume that's what we'll see in PvE.

....t'hell are you talking about?

redman2112
06-15-2014, 01:40 AM

Yeah.....please elaborate? MTGO is just an exact copy of Magic with no Digital-only features, plus it didn't come out till 2002...

poizonous
06-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Really think this forum needs to be shut down completely. Every thread full of PvE whiners bashing a PvP beta of a future MMOTCG

mach
06-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah.....please elaborate? MTGO is just an exact copy of Magic with no Digital-only features, plus it didn't come out till 2002...

I'm talking about Shandalar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_(MicroProse)).

Yoss
06-15-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm talking about Shandalar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_(MicroProse)).

...which those who wish PvE were already here should look up on the web, download, and play. It's abandonware, so you can get it free. It's quite fun.

katkillad
06-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Rip in peace Auction House and PVE.

Odai
06-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Really think this forum needs to be shut down completely. Every thread full of PvE whiners bashing a PvP beta of a future MMOTCG

Where does it say pvp beta? i hear that the first time! o.O

And of course we are complaining, we spend money, waited over 1 year now and there is no MMORPG stuff in this MMORPG TCG!

Rip in peace Auction House and PVE.

Can it RIP if it wasnt even alive? ^^

Gwaer
06-16-2014, 02:15 AM
Can it rest in peace in peace?

Berkhtar
06-16-2014, 05:17 AM

Started playing MTG when 4th edition was released... stopped playing about 5 years ago, because I had to move and lost my playmates.

So basically I know a bit about TCGs. An no: no TCG needs a new set before the majority of players is able to play with set 1. Set 2 in beta is ridiculous.

Warrender
06-16-2014, 05:28 AM
I consider Hearthstone a CCG not a TCG. The T in TCG stands for trading of which there is none (and none planned) in Hearthstone.

HarbingerZero
06-16-2014, 08:05 AM
I think its humorous that everything the E3 narrator says makes Hex one of the most impressive E3 games...doesn't actually exist in the game yet.

no TCG needs a new set before the majority of players is able to play with set 1.

This...so much this.

FreyOrvar
06-16-2014, 08:30 AM

The evidence is strong that CZE needs money....

Mahes
06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
It is odd because so many people respect Cory.

If he would have just come out and said something to the following:

"We are hoping to release Set 2 in August, because our funds are getting lower than anticipated, due to the length of production time this game has taken."

I think everyone would have understood and respected the fact. Making up reasons to justify the release instead of just coming out with the honest truth kind of hurts more than it helps. Its thier choice though.

Marsden
06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
"We are hoping to release Set 2 in August, because our funds are getting lower than anticipated, due to the length of production time this game has taken."

There is ZERO evidence that this is even slightly true.

Shivdaddy
06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
There is ZERO evidence that this is even slightly true.

I think common sense says they need more money.

Aradon
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
I've seen lots of comments suggesting that Set 2 is being released to bring in more money, and it really confuses me. Set 2 is being released because its done. If it were a money concern, they'd still be working on Set 2 and hoping to get it released as fast as possible, but that's not the case. They've been developing Set 2 for a long time (I'd guess well over a year now; how long have we seen Zeedu?) and this isn't some quick ploy for cash. It was a decision made long ago, which is now being implemented as planned.

HarbingerZero
06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I've seen lots of comments suggesting that Set 2 is being released to bring in more money, and it really confuses me.

There is nothing confusing about it. There is no reason to release a product to a market that is unable to purchase it. And that is exactly what they are doing. And they risk alienating part of that market that will now never have a chance to get in on the ground floor of this game.

Quite honestly, there is no reason at all to release it, except to bring in more money.

Odai
06-17-2014, 02:42 AM
I've seen lots of comments suggesting that Set 2 is being released to bring in more money, and it really confuses me. Set 2 is being released because its done. If it were a money concern, they'd still be working on Set 2 and hoping to get it released as fast as possible, but that's not the case. They've been developing Set 2 for a long time (I'd guess well over a year now; how long have we seen Zeedu?) and this isn't some quick ploy for cash. It was a decision made long ago, which is now being implemented as planned.

Jeah but making set 2 was a bad idear, they should have used the times for other things. And Set 1 is still buggy and set 2 will also bring new bugs to the game , which will slow down the development even further <.< its stupid what they are doing.
Im sure most people will not buy any boosters from the 2nd set from what i can see.

Marsden
06-17-2014, 02:53 AM
Jeah but making set 2 was a bad idear, they should have used the times for other things.

Different people work on different things. Development is a parallel, not a serial process.

Im sure most people will not buy any boosters from the 2nd set from what i can see.

I'm sure you're wrong.

Odai
06-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Different people work on different things. Development is a parallel, not a serial process.

I'm sure you're wrong.

I know that, but these people could have done something different then. :P

And you cant prove im wrong, only a few of all backers are playing the game at the moment and even less are spending money. And im sure even less of these will spend further money.

Sure they will make some money, but in the long run it would have been much wiser to get the game ready they promised and to get more people playing it instead of try to get money from people that play a CLOSED beta.

Marsden
06-17-2014, 04:48 AM
And you cant prove im wrong, only a few of all backers are playing the game at the moment and even less are spending money. And im sure even less of these will spend further money.

And you can't prove you're right either? To state as facts "I'm sure most people will not buy any boosters from the 2nd set" and "only a few of all backers are playing the game at the moment" ... well, as Wikipedia says [citation needed].

I can only speak for myself. As a high tier backer I got all the Set 1 packs I needed so have not yet spent any extra cash apart from to start a VIP subscription.

However, I'm not getting anything like as many Set 2 packs. I'm sure I will want more. So I will definitely be buying some Set 2 packs as soon as they are available.

Odai
06-17-2014, 07:02 AM
And you can't prove you're right either? To state as facts "I'm sure most people will not buy any boosters from the 2nd set" and "only a few of all backers are playing the game at the moment" ... well, as Wikipedia says [citation needed].

I can only speak for myself. As a high tier backer I got all the Set 1 packs I needed so have not yet spent any extra cash apart from to start a VIP subscription.

However, I'm not getting anything like as many Set 2 packs. I'm sure I will want more. So I will definitely be buying some Set 2 packs as soon as they are available.

Like Shivdaddy said: "I think common sense..."

If you belive that nearly all backers are playing this game, actively spending money or even have it installed on their pc makes you a fool. :P Thats pretty much fact you cant argue against.

Marsden
06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
If you belive that nearly all backers are playing this game, actively spending money or even have it installed on their pc makes you a fool. :P Thats pretty much fact you cant argue against.

Ignored.

Yoss
06-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Not entirely true. (Not entirely false either.) There is only one R&D team who has to create both the PvP and PvE content, so that much is a serial process (though they do multitask). The parallel process is that there are other teams (UI, QA, etc) who work simultaneously with R&D.

AswanJaguar
06-17-2014, 10:56 AM
There is no reason to release a product to a market that is unable to purchase it.

Quite honestly, there is no reason at all to release it, except to bring in more money.

So CZE is releasing Set 2 to solely to bring in more money into a market that is unable to purchase it? Your own logic invalidates your argument.

Aside from that, what's to say it's still going to be in closed beta by the end of August? Besides baseless speculation from the Eeyores of the forum?

HarbingerZero
06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
So CZE is releasing Set 2 to solely to bring in more money into a market that is unable to purchase it?

Yes, they are. Logical or not, you have to deal with this simple fact. The only explanation many people can conjure up is that they must be desperate for money, so they are turning to a small, but already invested player base to gather the cash needed to continue development. You may not like this strategy, and you may pretend that you don't understand it or that nobody would ever do it, but there is evidence that it can make you a whole lot of money (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals) if you need it too.

The other explanation is the one that CZE has put forward officially: that the game will die if we don't add fresh PvP cards to play in the next 60 days. If you are looking for baseless speculation, look no further.

I will put out the invite again: if you have a third option you can think of, by all means, put it in writing and flip the script. Because my two options right now are "we need more money" or "the game is dying" and the former seems more plausible.

AswanJaguar
06-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Given the choice between random forum guy who contradicts himself in the same post or the crew that has years of TCG experience as both players and designers, I'll put my faith in the latter. Show me the proof that CZE is doing this solely for the money and not as part of a long-term plan and I'll subscribe to your newsletter.

Berkhtar
06-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Given the choice between random forum guy who contradicts himself in the same post or the crew that has years of TCG experience as both players and designers, I'll put my faith in the latter. Show me the proof that CZE is doing this solely for the money and not as part of a long-term plan and I'll subscribe to your newsletter.

Ask yourself:

The game will be released in the (near / later) future. Imagine you are a fresh player not having partricipated in alpha / beta.

Will you be happy that they have already 2 or 3 sets out... like: yeeeehaaaaaa... I will catch those bastards up (TCGs are competitive games)

Or:
Interesting concept: I am way behing all beta players because I was not able to play... does not make much sense to start playing anymore

All collectors will see themselves in option 2. Bad that most TCG-players are collectors.

Does this make sense to you? An experienced company should see this problem.

Try start playing M&M DoC. It is awful... half a dozen different sets released... you do not know with which set you should start anymore. Set 1 or 2? In set 3 they released this and that skill... it is mandatory meanwhile... but if you do not have the basecards and a few resources from set 4 everything is messed up.... Solution: Do not play this crap.

Releasing sets before anybody except a few hardcore-spenders was able to play is simply stupid in the long run.

meetthefuture
06-18-2014, 04:15 AM
most TCG-players are collectors.
Not really

redman2112
06-18-2014, 05:46 AM
Ask yourself:

The game will be released in the (near / later) future. Imagine you are a fresh player not having partricipated in alpha / beta.

Will you be happy that they have already 2 or 3 sets out... like: yeeeehaaaaaa... I will catch those bastards up (TCGs are competitive games)

Or:
Interesting concept: I am way behing all beta players because I was not able to play... does not make much sense to start playing anymore

All collectors will see themselves in option 2. Bad that most TCG-players are collectors.

Does this make sense to you? An experienced company should see this problem.

Try start playing M&M DoC. It is awful... half a dozen different sets released... you do not know with which set you should start anymore. Set 1 or 2? In set 3 they released this and that skill... it is mandatory meanwhile... but if you do not have the basecards and a few resources from set 4 everything is messed up.... Solution: Do not play this crap.

Releasing sets before anybody except a few hardcore-spenders was able to play is simply stupid in the long run.

The thing you have to realize is there will be a huge flood of set 1 on the market cause of all the kickstarter packs and this can (and probably will) make those packs cheaper on the market. Also this will be a 3 set block with set one being the base set, so the cheapest set will be set one the most important. Also the way there language has been on upcoming releases sounds like open beta will happen right before or right after set 2's release. If this is the case it won't be too harsh against new players. The argument that more sets released before people can play is stupid because otherwise how would the game attract new players years down the road? Will no players start out cause there are too many sets out? This isn't too big a problem for other TCGs so I don't see a problem here.

Patrigan
06-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Bad that most TCG-players are collectors.

This couldn't be further away from the truth. But I suppose this is the main issue with all these discussions. People make assumptions like these that are simply wrong.

More to the point, if anything this might be an issue to players completely new to a TCG. A TCG veteran (who you claim are all collectors) knows how it works, they will jump in no matter how many sets have been released, they've likely all done so in Magic and a host of other card games.

A player completely new to TCGs, on the other hand, will not understand the distinction in number of sets immediately when they start. So they won't care much that they're "behind". In fact, they won't even realize they're behind, they'll feel this is just the starting point, why should they know/care that a TCG always starts with just 1 set?

This issue completely disappears when the Starter Trials and the first PvE dungeons are released (the starter trials release THIS MONTH!!!). A player is then hooked to the game through the PvE side and will thus not care how much behind they are in PvP. If they then really like the game, they will get into PvP, realizing that PvP hasn't stood still while they were still learning the ropes.