PDA

View Full Version : Be warned

Phoenixfire
06-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Use the free platinum offers at your own risk.

I signed up for a huge amount of them, not only did I only get a fraction of what I was supposed to but

I am not being mass harassed by telemarketers, they sold my information to everyone , I am getting over 8 Calls a day from: rental agencies, credit card agencies, senior citizen agencies, people trying to sell me insurance, it goes on and on.

I have and I will say it here, I called my bank and put a dispute for the 50 usd I paid for this joke.

Its the least the company can offer me after the last few weeks of harassment.

Oh and I been getting physical mails to my address too of absolute nonsense from these companies too.

I am now forced to have my phone number changed, remake my email, and possible contact a lawyer to see what my options are.

If I knew I would be harassed and harassed on the clock every single day I would of NEVER signed up for any of these offers.

I just pray no one has my credit card info,m and I don't become a Identity theft victim from this mess.

Quasari
06-14-2014, 01:05 PM

I'm sorry you continue to have problems with it, but it's your own fault. Putting in a dispute isn't going to help you. Your lawyer can't do a thing for you too, as each offer you did you consented to. I have no pity for people who agree to offers without reading anything including requirements and what they can do with your information.

Thanks for the warning though.

Thrawn
06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
This is why so many people have been complaining about the free platinum offers. I get that they are an option for people who can't afford to spend money on plat and all that, but this kind of stuff can hurt Hex's image really, really badly. People knew this would be the result of them from the day they were posted and once the feedback from them starts to hit more people....yuck.

Ju66ernaut
06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry PhoenixFire. That really sucks man.

Daer
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Just a heads up since it seems you may need it, those Nigerian Prince emails aren't legit.

Ju66ernaut
06-14-2014, 01:35 PM
As a side note, my phone company waived the fee for me when I had an ex that would not stop harassing me.maybe they will do the same for you.

Chiany
06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
This is why so many people have been complaining about the free platinum offers. I get that they are an option for people who can't afford to spend money on plat and all that, but this kind of stuff can hurt Hex's image really, really badly. People know this would be the result of them from the day they were posted and once the feedback from them starts to hit more people....yuck.

exactly, I really hope Cory will startvto realize this too and remove that from Hex asap.

Xenavire
06-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Those free offers are pretty horrible. My fiancee looked at them last night, thinking about buying into a draft with some earned plat - as soon as she saw the offers she knew they were bad.

Now, not everyone is as observant as she is, and for that reason I think that the offers should be removed (at least temporarily). Even those who have gotten their plat have been horrified by the amount of phonecalls, emails, and general spam that finds them.

It is not good for the game, it is not good for HexEnt, and it is not good for the players. We already have more reliable ways of earning free plat (thanks to the guys who have brought up more trustworthy methods, like the Bing rewards). Lets just put up some guides for receiving those gift cards for using those trustworthy services, and cut out this cancerous method.

Gwaer
06-14-2014, 01:56 PM
This is why so many people have been complaining about the free platinum offers... [Snip]

It's not so many people, this same guy has made virtually every negative thread about it. There have been positive threads where people explain how to properly utilize these offers. Basically though, if you're an american with a job, they probably aren't for you.

Kami
06-14-2014, 01:58 PM
I have and I will say it here, I called my bank and put a dispute for the 50 usd I paid for this joke.

Its the least the company can offer me after the last few weeks of harassment.

Sorry to hear about your situation but what you're doing, disputing the USD$50, is technically illegitimate.

Normally:

Unauthorized charges
Charges for goods or services you didnít agree to
Charges incurred when your credit card issuer failed to mail your statement to the correct address
Charges not properly credited on your account (for example, if you returned an item but the reimbursement wasnít posted to your account)
Math errors or charges that have the incorrect amount or date

I don't think you fall into any of those categories but IANAL. I do know that if you make an illegitimate dispute, it will ding your credit score though.

As far as the harassment from your information being sold by 3rd-parties completely unrelated to CZE/HexEnt, it is technically not their problem either. As for who provides the service for free platinum? That would be GameForge through their payment partners - the only thing CZE/HexEnt might have failed in this regard is not having that option removed.

Sad to see you go but the problem you have is not with the game itself nor CZE/HexEnt directly.

Xenavire
06-14-2014, 02:00 PM
It's not so many people, this same guy has made virtually every negative thread about it. There have been positive threads where people explain how to properly utilize these offers. Basically though, if you're an american with a job, they probably aren't for you.

Not everyone with an issue has made their own thread though Gwaer. I have discussed it with people in my friends list, and seen plenty of complaints in the in-game chat.

It is a bigger problem than the forums would suggest. And I was willing to wait and see, and I did - it's a bad system. There are good systems available, this is not needed.

zz_tophat
06-14-2014, 02:00 PM

He even made a goodbye thread and said he was leaving because of the gameforge thing and yet he's still here. I'm wondering if this thread is a legitimate warning or just trolling at this point.

Xtopher
06-14-2014, 02:08 PM
...but IANAL.
um... TMI?

eimerian
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
How can anyone fall for this stuff?
There's no such thing as free platinum.
If a company is offering you 5 plat(~5 US cent) for your data, then obviously your data must be worth more than 5 cent to them, meaning they have to sell it to anyone interested.

I agree that Hex should not link to such "services".
It makes Hex look like a cheap facebook game.

Rokz
06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Really unfortunate that this is happening, but I'm dumbfounded at people these days that believe in 'free' items. The term 'free' should always be considered suspicous.

Hopefully this thread will help others that may fall for these offers.

Hexgo
06-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Well it is sad.

I agree that no one should fall for this idiotic things in the first place.
Pretty sure about no one in my culture would participate in stuff like this.

However there are people that will use it and alot will encounter negative experience which will lead to bad reputation.

If a game uses options like this, this is usually the best sign of a third class game to me, sorry.
Maybe you could offer this kind of stuff only to countries for which this isn't one of the most reputation degrading things.

Clawdius
06-14-2014, 03:50 PM
TANSTAAFL, pretty awful you didn't even get the platinum you were promised though. The national do not call registry in the US is useful, but some nonprofit organizations are exempt from that. I'm not aware of any situation in any game where the amount of time it takes to fulfill your end of the "free" rewards deals doesn't equate to them offering you something like 1/5th minimum wage at best.

Xenavire
06-14-2014, 04:01 PM
um... TMI?

IANAL is 'I am not a lawyer', just in case anyone needs to know. :D

Xtopher
06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
:D

Mahes
06-14-2014, 04:06 PM

ROFL!!! There has to be a better acronym you could use.

Xenavire
06-14-2014, 04:18 PM
ROFL!!! There has to be a better acronym you could use.

I know... I swear, the first few times I saw it, I imagined them propositioning the most strange things for a forum...

Then I figured out exactly what it meant. I still misread it with my dirty mind, but I always remember after the double-take. :D

But it seriously sounds like a new line of apple sex toys. iANAL

Shivdaddy
06-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Who would put their real info in any of those surveys? Pretty dumb right there. I have gave up on these surveys. The failure rate has got too high for me.

Mr.Funsocks
06-14-2014, 10:37 PM
So, I played with the free plat stuff a bunch so I could get some plat to join tournaments and use up some packs...

A) Not bad, I earned like 600-700 plat without having to do anything particularly interesting.

B) Almost every single thing on there is an obvious scam/illegitimate/horrible business, you have to be borderline braindead to not see it, and pretty close to actually put any real information in (yay for free disposable email addresses and my buddy Jon Smith who lives on Oak Lane...).

C) One of the websites actually had a virus that made it through my various adblock/noscript filters, and was caught by my antivirus. Not to mention all the malware that Malwarebytes caught after I finished. Yes, I literally got a virus from one of the offers. I think that was one where I downloaded a program I've used, cleanly, many a time before. Turns out the "offer" version comes packaged with a trojan (no, I didn't install it, not stupid :-P)

Now, I expected this going in, which is why I set things up ahead of time (updated Malware/Virus databases, junk email acct, etc.), so I'm not really annoyed. But this is REALLY a problem for CZE's image if they are associated with a website that literally tries to infect your computer with viruses. I know it's thrice removed, and they have little control over it, but they need to lay the hammer down with Gameforge. That is NOT ok.

Sadeyx
06-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Sad to see you go but the problem you have is not with the game itself nor CZE/HexEnt directly. How about call Gameforge and tell them to stop as its ruining your credibility by association? Or are you, in fact, rather pleased with the extra income generated at the expense of harassment?

And your wrong about somethings, harassment can be considered illegal, if its found to be the case it nullifies any contractual agreements. As anyone with actual legal qualifications will tell you, no contract can be upheld if it breaks the law.

Blitz1775
06-15-2014, 04:46 AM
Yeah Kami regardless of personnel feelings all he would have to do is a "services not rendered" chargeback. Considering the customer "Phoenix" never got the plat that he's adamantly been complaining about (I'm sure most of us that lurk the forum have seen it). The general response we have heard is that they will look into it or pass the buck onto to the service platform. However generally assuming the customer is not purposely attempting to commit fraud, the CC will accept it. If that doesn't work he also has merchant/service/product is not as describe and considering the kickstarter has a list of features (pve) & things to receive (plenty of things we still haven't received yet) with a "supposed" shipping date (of a year ago), there are many ways of getting out if he so choose.

In the grand scheme it was silly as a mod/assistant to try to call him out on that he had an illegitimate reason to do a chargeback. While I think most of us know doing those surveys will generally bite you in the ass, doesn't mean everyone especially younger folks have that same level of deftness.

Rendakor
06-15-2014, 05:59 AM
How about call Gameforge and tell them to stop as its ruining your credibility by association? Or are you, in fact, rather pleased with the extra income generated at the expense of harassment?

And your wrong about somethings, harassment can be considered illegal, if its found to be the case it nullifies any contractual agreements. As anyone with actual legal qualifications will tell you, no contract can be upheld if it breaks the law.If this is directed at Kami specifically, I should point out that he's a volunteer forum mod and not a paid CZE employee. Calling Gameforge is well above his paygrade.

Unhurtable
06-15-2014, 06:25 AM
You put your actual phone number on those?

Wow, I hope you learnt your lesson.

Phoenixfire
06-15-2014, 08:49 AM
I did learn my lesson

As for the chargeback it was done because so much of the stuff promised was delayed so many times, I just gave up

I have no faith left in the company.

Xtopher
06-15-2014, 09:09 AM
How did an offer for free platinum evolve into you paying $50? I haven't looked at the offers (and wouldn't), but I'm curious how that works.

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2014, 09:11 AM
I did learn my lesson

As for the chargeback it was done because so much of the stuff promised was delayed so many times, I just gave up

I have no faith left in the company.

Was it your mom's card? 'cos you're acting like an impatient 12-year-old...

Phoenixfire
06-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Was it your mom's card? 'cos you're acting like an impatient 12-year-old...

sorry I don't associate with people throwing personal attacks around.

MuffLord4
06-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Wow some people here, "it's your own fault".

What the hell is up with you, if I play a game and the company making the game has a "free way" to earn currency then why should I consider it fishy? Many f2p games out there, free doesn't mean scam anymore.

And yada yada Cze/hex being only a business associate is no excuse, they are making business with gameforge, their name is being slandered.

A customer is king, he shouldn't be required to inform himself. In germany even signed contracts are neglible, I cheated my renter this way.

Think about people like me who live by that rule, never having to inform ourselves and basically being immune to scam, everything should be held to the standard of this system.

Quasari
06-15-2014, 09:37 AM
How did an offer for free platinum evolve into you paying $50? I haven't looked at the offers (and wouldn't), but I'm curious how that works.

He's wanting his slacker backer back. He blames CZE and thinks they owe him. Honestly, he supposedly quit when he did 40+ offers for over 3000 plat and sponsorpay didn't pay most of it (most likely due to him not qualifying or following directions) and gf/cze wouldn't give him the platinum.

Anywho, I don't like the service either, but there have been quite a few people who have been happy to use it. Phoenix is the only major case against it right now and the way he acts doesn't help his case.

BTW: https://www.donotcall.gov you don't have to change your number. Can't do anything about email other than a good spam filter. You are welcome.

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Quoting and responding is associating in my book.

Wow some people here, "it's your own fault".

What the hell is up with you, if I play a game and the company making the game has a "free way" to earn currency then why should I consider it fishy? Many f2p games out there, free doesn't mean scam anymore.

And yada yada Cze/hex being only a business associate is no excuse, they are making business with gameforge, their name is being slandered.

It it is his own fault, because he didn't read anything he was signing up for, he just gave a lot of third party's his info for some plat. He is clearly terminally brain damaged, and not long for this world. I almost want to start a charity for people in his position.

HyenaNipples
06-15-2014, 09:42 AM
These things have been around for over a decade. I'm incredibly surprised that any competent internet user would not realize their legit information would be sold everywhere if they entered it. It's been an "industry" standard for ages.

*Further Content Removed to Being Totally Wrong*

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Uhhhh... I paid in USD, when did they start only charging euros?

MuffLord4
06-15-2014, 09:46 AM
btw what happens if you scam these websites with false informations?

HyenaNipples
06-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Uhhhh... I paid in USD, when did they start only charging euros?

Oh, it doesn't show the Euro price anymore. My mistake.

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Oh, it doesn't show the Euro price anymore. My mistake.
Even when it did if you clicked the through it changed to USD, they have accepted USD since day one.

Quasari
06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Even when it did if you clicked the through it changed to USD, they have accepted USD since day one.

Unless you were outside the us, like Mexico. You had to proxy in to pay in USD. They default to euros.

HyenaNipples
06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
I interpreted that as my money being converted automatically in the transaction process, which is likely what is still happening. That's weird when you're buying an American product that's made two states to the south of you.

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Nah, if your money were being converted you'd be paying more than 1$ = 100p from a conversion charge. You're getting exactly the expected value for the price.

HyenaNipples
06-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Um, or they are just calculating the currency exchange to keep the USD price steady. We're sending the money to a German company using a german website. I'd be very surprised if conversion was not occurring.

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 10:03 AM
You'd know if anything other than usd was leaving your bank account. If usd is leaving your bank account that is literally all that matters. If GF is converting usd to euro after you give them usd that's their business. Any US company can do that, too.

HyenaNipples
06-15-2014, 10:06 AM
The original point is that it is weird and it made CZE seem weird. But now that the prices aren't blatantly listed in Euros, most people won't notice.

Raykefire
06-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Oy, this troll again.

nick7575
06-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I understand that it was this guys fault, and a bad decision to use his actual phone number, but I can't believe HEX wants to be associated with something like this. I don't think anyone can honestly say that being associated with this doesn't delegitimize the game to some degree...

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I can honestly say that the few positive threads that exist on this topic made me realize that there are people who need things like it to play. And I want the game in the hands of as many people as possible.

Xexist
06-15-2014, 03:34 PM
As far as the harassment from your information being sold by 3rd-parties completely unrelated to CZE/HexEnt, it is technically not their problem either. As for who provides the service for free platinum? That would be GameForge through their payment partners - the only thing CZE/HexEnt might have failed in this regard is not having that option removed.

While I agree with you, I cant blame others for not seeing it that way. By doing business with them, you are essentially 'vouching' for them. When a customer gets screwed over or scammed by this BS, Hex DOES look bad, regardless of them not being the ones directly scamming.

Ive spent close to $600 on this game from backing + platinum purchase, and I love this game enough to practically label myself a fanboy, but I still cant completely give Hex a pass on this one. If you need them at this point, fine, but I surely hope as soon as possible you cut ties with these guys.

blakegrandon
06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Anywho, I don't like the service either, but there have been quite a few people who have been happy to use it. Phoenix is the only major case against it right now and the way he acts doesn't help his case..

I'd have to disagree. I've been against Sponsorpay from day one and if you google sponsorpay scams it's a big issue on other games. The problem is that a lot of the sponsors are NOT legitimate.

I have been assured that the services linked to "free" platinum are trusted providers and should be fine, clearly if we find out that is not the case we will discontinue it immediately. Also, that platinum isn't free, the sponsor pays for it, so it ends up back in the HEX ecosystem.

Which brings me to this post by Cory where he claims that the services linked to free platinum are trusted providers and should be fine.

To be brutally honest I feel Sponsorpay will bring down the image of Hex far more than any lawsuit by Hasbro ever will, it just cheapens the experience and new players will think it's some free to play crap game with really really shady partners.

That was Cory on 4/29/14, either they've deemed these shady as hell companies to be legitimate(in which case blaming the user for getting spammed/harassed is BS) or they've redefined the term immediately

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I can honestly say that the few positive threads that exist on this topic made me realize that there are people who need things like it to play. And I want the game in the hands of as many people as possible.

Are you ignoring the part where at least one of the "sponsors" literally infects your computer with a virus in your attempts to get the free plat? Not just malware of some tracking cookies or a stupid toolbar. And actual Trojan.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an option that should exist. But CZE needs to lay the hammer down on how it's managed, or get rid of it...

Quasari
06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I'd have to disagree. I've been against Sponsorpay from day one and if you google sponsorpay scams it's a big issue on other games. The problem is that a lot of the sponsors are NOT legitimate.
Have you been scammed by them?

Again, I don't like it, but when I meant case, I meant he actually was taken, not hate it. Cuz I hate it, but I don't have anything other than hearsay right now. Is there anyway to report the shadier companies to Sponserpay, etc? Will they do anything about it? Just google, the majority of the complaints are not getting payed in in game credit. That is a problem(as long as people followed directions...), but some do pay. Again, I won't use it, but nobody else has been taken like this guy.

Gwaer
06-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm aware someone has said that. I've tried a few of them looking for a Trojan and I haven't managed to find one yet.

blakegrandon
06-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Have you been scammed by them?

I went through a couple of the "surveys" and there is a huge possibility for malware, identity theft, and more. I'm not going to bother rehashing my arguments against sponsorpay because people will either choose to ignore them or say it's not an issue.

At the end of the day I am taking Cory's word that if they're not trustworthy they'll pull the program, some of the sponsors are VERY untrustworthy, yet the program is still in effect.

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm aware someone has said that. I've tried a few of them looking for a Trojan and I haven't managed to find one yet.

Well the very first one I tried that required a download, the download had a virus. Dunno how common that is, I stopped trying the ones that required a download after the first virus ;)

regomar
06-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Associating with scummy scams like this isn't doing Hex ANY favors, PR or otherwise. This practice should not be defended just because it's not run by Cryptozoic. Who you do business with says a lot about your company. these scam offers should be taken down immediately.

TOOT
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM
They really need to dump this thing asap. It takes away from the integrity of a real game.

I understand the thought behind it as a F2P solution, especially now with no PVE and no way to obtain cards unless you lay out cash. That being said, it does more harm than good.

When PVE is out, people will have less of a need for these surveys etc. as the barrier to entry will be way lower obtaining gold to get platinum instead of the 3rd party offers.

If people really need these services to get platinum, they can seek them out from other sources, get a check cut or paypal credited, and then buy platinum.