PDA

View Full Version : No world Cup thread?

Vomitlord
06-15-2014, 05:01 AM
You guys need an anything goes forum.

This world cup has been awesome so far.

Instead of posting every 10 seconds on Booster pack anaylsis and creating spreadsheets on Print runs get yourself to a bar and watch a few games.

England v Italy was sensational even though we lost(Gerrard and Rooney need dropping IMO)

Also Nice one Costa Rica

Xenavire
06-15-2014, 05:03 AM
I support an off-topic area.

And I have enjoyed all the games so far (missed a few due to time constraints though.) I had a good chuckle at Australia, and that 5-1 game was crazy. Go Netherlands.

Ebynfel
06-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Italy beat England 2-1, end world cup thread. I am satisfied:)

ossuary
06-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Nobody cares about shoes with spikes on, or truncated icosahedrons. This is MERCA! Take your talk about the evil, money-grubbing FIFA elsewhere. ;)

Vomitlord
06-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Italy beat England 2-1, end world cup thread. I am satisfied:)

Yeah Darmian and Candreva destroyed us. Pirlo's free kick would have been amazing!

We'll still qualify, maybe, hopefully:rolleyes:

Vomitlord
06-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Nobody cares about shoes with spikes on, or truncated icosahedrons. This is MERCA! Take your talk about the evil, money-grubbing FIFA elsewhere. ;)

FIFA's top brass are scum I'll give you that

Ebynfel
06-15-2014, 05:29 AM
You'll do fine. England has a fine team, just I believe Italy is the best in Group D this year. Either way, Group D looks pretty rough tbh, though it should offer some very entertaining games of soccer(football for you non Americans I suppose :)

Prodygi
06-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Pirlo is a god.

Anyone did any betting?

Vomitlord
06-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Pirlo is so much better and fitter than Gerrard its embarrassing.

I've backed England and got Ivory Coast in a sweepstake (could have been worse my brother got Iran)

Prodygi
06-15-2014, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't say fitter, but so much more intelligent! Minimum movement, maximum impact with those killer passes.

I'm betting on Croatia beating Cameroon!

jonsnow2000
06-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Very nervous here for germany's first appearance. If Portugal beats us, it will be nervewrecking the next 2 matches.

nyikhmur
06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Actually I ve never seen the english play this promising, a draw would ve been much more just.

I ve no respect for Italy, once they manage to grab the lead, you ll never see that side of the field again. They kill the game in every way they can, even though their abilities would allow a sympathetic style of play. Not to mention that Balotelli guy makes Rooney look like a genius :)

nyikhmur
06-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Oh and guys, pls dont use the "s" word :)

Vomitlord
06-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Very nervous here for germany's first appearance. If Portugal beats us, it will be nervewrecking the next 2 matches.

Should be a great game. Ozil not been great for arsenal this year though. Portugal would be very average without you know who.

ossuary
06-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Soc....k it to me?

Ebynfel
06-15-2014, 12:07 PM

But in America, Football is a game where only two players per team touch the ball with their foot.
Soccer is a game where only one player may use their hands.

It makes perfect sense, seriously!

Blargrag
06-15-2014, 02:38 PM
And in Derbyshire Football is annually beating the shit out of your neighbors, so who knows...Maybe thats where they dug up Rooney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football

Banquetto
06-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Seeing Spain - the most boring team in world football - humiliated in such an epic fashion made my day, week and year.

I'll definitely be adopting the Netherlands as my team for the tournament once Australia inevitably bows out.

Arbiter
06-15-2014, 05:44 PM
I support an off-topic area.

And I have enjoyed all the games so far (missed a few due to time constraints though.) I had a good chuckle at Australia, and that 5-1 game was crazy. Go Netherlands.
Australia just beat Netherlands in the final of the World Cup 6-1. I'd say that was pretty convincing. That is the World Cup you are talking about, right? There is no mention of the sport in the title :-)

Sergan
06-15-2014, 08:38 PM
My country's group paired with the champion and 2 place from last world cup. How lucky (Chile)
Wish can beat Spain this wednesday.

Xenavire
06-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Australia just beat Netherlands in the final of the World Cup 6-1. I'd say that was pretty convincing. That is the World Cup you are talking about, right? There is no mention of the sport in the title :-)

You should check the date dude. Obviously I wasn't predicting the future. I know for a fact that both Aus and NZ have fairly bad football/soccor teams. That doesn't mean anything for other sports, and seriously, Aus was amazing in that hockey final.

Talk about making a country proud.

Kroan
06-16-2014, 02:33 AM
You should check the date dude. Obviously I wasn't predicting the future. I know for a fact that both Aus and NZ have fairly bad football/soccor teams. That doesn't mean anything for other sports, and seriously, Aus was amazing in that hockey final.

Talk about making a country proud. I'm pretty sure we won the finals in hockey.

http://res.cloudinary.com/infostrada-sports/image/upload/c_fill,g_center,q_70/v1/wkhockey_2014_production/539c882879773_2014-06-14.jpg

Not that the sport has any real significance anyway :P

Patrigan
06-16-2014, 03:10 AM
I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow! GO BELGIUM!

Xenavire
06-16-2014, 05:10 AM
I'm pretty sure we won the finals in hockey.

http://res.cloudinary.com/infostrada-sports/image/upload/c_fill,g_center,q_70/v1/wkhockey_2014_production/539c882879773_2014-06-14.jpg

Not that the sport has any real significance anyway :P

Thats what I meant though. Their defence was impeccable after the first NL goal, we couldn't break through. They deserved it and made Aus proud.

I missed the womans final, so no comment there. :p

Bells
06-16-2014, 06:35 AM
You guys should not waste your time because Brazil will come out on top this year #Brasil

:cool:

(Cut to me eating my own words in a week or two)

Vomitlord
06-16-2014, 10:36 AM

It looks like you will be ok;)

Shaqattaq
06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
With a 6-4 strategy, Germany had such little respect for Portugal that they basically threw out 11 dudes onto the pitch and was like "GLHF."

Bells
06-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Oh Cristiano Ronaldo it seems your days of selling Shampoo on TV are done and gone my friend... that was sad to see, Germany just stomped the field... i love it!

Kroan
06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Gonna be hard for portugal to stay in the tournament with two of their defenders out of the running for at least the next two matches. Even if the two other teams are mediocre

Shaqattaq
06-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Definitely tough for Portugal. We'll see if 35-year-old Tim Howard can still get it done against Ronaldo for the US match.

Banquetto
06-16-2014, 09:03 PM
My country's group paired with the champion and 2 place from last world cup. How lucky (Chile)
Wish can beat Spain this wednesday.

After Spain's abject performance in game 1, the Chilean team should be licking their lips with anticipation. If they get off to a fast start like against Australia, Spain will crumble. Just like they did in the 2013 Confederations Cup final.

Kroan
06-17-2014, 12:01 AM
After Spain's abject performance in game 1, the Chilean team should be licking their lips with anticipation. If they get off to a fast start like against Australia, Spain will crumble. Just like they did in the 2013 Confederations Cup final.
Eh. I'd beg to differ. Spain will fight like a beast to stay in the tournament. To stay in the tournament, they have to win against Chilie. They won't go down without a fight, I assure you.

Nice perfomance by USA yesterday. Didn't expect that, to be fair!

Banquetto
06-18-2014, 02:32 PM

WHAT DID I TELL YOU SERGAN !?!?

Chile have done the unthinkable!!

And of course Australia is now gone too.. after they play Spain they can share a taxi to the airport, lol. But what a game between the Socceroos and the Netherlands, nobody gave us the tiniest chance in the world but we stretched them hard!!

Xenavire
06-18-2014, 02:50 PM
WHAT DID I TELL YOU SERGAN !?!?

Chile have done the unthinkable!!

And of course Australia is now gone too.. after they play Spain they can share a taxi to the airport, lol. But what a game between the Socceroos and the Netherlands, nobody gave us the tiniest chance in the world but we stretched them hard!!

Yeah, Australia fought hard for those 2 goals. I don't agree with the penalty that got the second goal, but thats not to say they didn't deserve it (just under different circumstances would have been nice). You gotta feel for spain though, thats rough... Like cat tongue sandpaper rough.

Banquetto
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Australia fought hard for those 2 goals. I don't agree with the penalty that got the second goal, but thats not to say they didn't deserve it (just under different circumstances would have been nice). You gotta feel for spain though, thats rough... Like cat tongue sandpaper rough.

Was a cruel penalty but it's karma for the one awarded against Australia last World Cup when Harry Kewell couldn't avoid handballing a shot in the box. He got red carded, too.

But Spain.. yeah.. such an run of success and then they turn in the worst World Cup title defense ever....

jonsnow2000
06-19-2014, 02:00 AM
Spain has been a nightmare for germany in the last few euro and world cups, so I'm kind of glad they can't bother us this time. Of course, there are still a few left to fear - Italy is my new personal Nr. 1 contender.

Banquetto
06-19-2014, 02:46 AM
Spain has been a nightmare for germany in the last few euro and world cups, so I'm kind of glad they can't bother us this time. Of course, there are still a few left to fear - Italy is my new personal Nr. 1 contender.

I'm adopting Germany now that Australia is out. I have some German ancestry, and also they were the team that entertained me most in 2010 until they went out. The opening game against Portugal this time round was also a feast to watch!

Patrigan
06-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Finals:

Netherlands - Belgium

Vomitlord
06-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Poor old spain:D

Tim Cahill goal of the tournament so far.

Only 3 hours till We play Uruguay. COME ON ENGLAND.

Shaqattaq
06-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Suarez was offsides.

jonsnow2000
06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
the 2nd goal? that ball rebounded from the english player, so it wasn't offside.

Banquetto
06-19-2014, 05:43 PM

A beautiful goal and I'm so proud one of my countrymen scored it, but for mine, it is still #2 behind Van Persie's first goal against Spain. :)

Vomitlord
06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
That's the end of that then:(

There's always 2018;)

DuroNL
06-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Guess that dream is shattered :P

Suarez really did a number on the English ;)

DuroNL
06-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Poor old spain:D

Really Tim Cahill? ohw man, the RvP goal was way way way way way more awesome than Cahil's... Cahil's was more luck than tact, RvP's goal was just plain awesome, a Goal you've never seen before on a WC, i can't even recall seeing anything close to it in a competition i follow. Tim Cahill's Goals is one i've seen before, Its nice and looks great, but not the best, by far...

saffamike
06-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Go Costa Rica :) Love a great underdog story.

And hup Holland hup!

Shaqattaq
06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
the 2nd goal? that ball rebounded from the english player, so it wasn't offside.

The first goal. I was listening to it on the radio and the ESPN broadcast was insistent that he was offsides. Looks like he wasn't.

Bells
06-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Go Costa Rica :) Love a great underdog story.

And hup Holland hup!

Costa Rica was in the so called "Group of Death" Against 3 big teams, all previous world Champions. They have trully walked through the valley of death and came out with a win. Amazing!

That and Spain, and now either Uruguay or Italy and England coming home in the first round... oh wow that's going to be an entertaining World Cup to Watch....

Freebird_Falcon
06-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Dark horse CRC!!! CONCACAF World Cup partayyyy. Can Mexico and Ochoa fend off Croatia!? Who will face Netherlands?! Ahhhhh!!!

saffamike
06-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Costa Rica was in the so called "Group of Death" Against 3 big teams, all previous world Champions. They have trully walked through the valley of death and came out with a win. Amazing!

That and Spain, and now either Uruguay or Italy and England coming home in the first round... oh wow that's going to be an entertaining World Cup to Watch....

Loving it!

jonsnow2000
06-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Man that was a heartbreaker... 2-2 for Portugal literally in the last second against the US. I wonder if Klinsmann and Loew will just secretly agree on a draw for the final match, it would guarantee both teams the next round. ;)

mudkip
06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Not literally the last second, but pretty close. I thought the large about if injury time was BS. Also, was that 2nd goal of USA's offside or not?

Vomitlord
06-22-2014, 09:57 PM
The goal looked fine to me.

Can see Ghana beating Portugal. Should be an exciting last couple of games.

AstaSyneri
06-23-2014, 05:45 AM
Man that was a heartbreaker... 2-2 for Portugal literally in the last second against the US. I wonder if Klinsmann and Loew will just secretly agree on a draw for the final match, it would guarantee both teams the next round. ;)

Of course they very much deny it - and will not play like it. But let it come to the 80th minute with a draw, I doubt that any team will do much but park the bus - there is simply too much to lose.

And after the fact we'll have a s&%storm of accusations of fixing games, I am sure ;-).

Chiany
06-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Of course they very much deny it - and will not play like it. But let it come to the 80th minute with a draw, I doubt that any team will do much but park the bus - there is simply too much to lose.

And after the fact we'll have a s&%storm of accusations of fixing games, I am sure ;-).

Well Portugal has been very unfortunate this tournament, a red card that wasn't red, many injuries after the first match.
Otherwise I could have seem them advancing pretty far.

I just hope Germany does it's duty and win, so Ronaldo & Co still have a chance.

Kroan
06-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Seeing USA has a german trainer, they might call each other and just decide to go for the good ol' 0-0 :P I wouldn't mind, to be honest. I always dislike Portugal's team for some reason.

Shaqattaq
06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Ronaldooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (please get well soon)

Not literally the last second, but pretty close. I thought the large about if injury time was BS. Also, was that 2nd goal of USA's offside or not?

I saw a report from an ESPN reporter than it was +4, and that final sub for the US was an obvious stall, so the ref erased the +4 and went to +5. If so, lolololol =(

Seeing USA has a german trainer, they might call each other and just decide to go for the good ol' 0-0 :P I wouldn't mind, to be honest. I always dislike Portugal's team for some reason.

FWIW, the public seems to agree that the draw is likely. The Vegas line on a GER/USA draw went from +400 to +150 within 2 hours of the match end. That's the shortest price on a draw across the entire tournament.

Kroan
06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Sweet. Netherlands is the deserved Group winner. Shame Chilli supporters were sore losers at the end

Vomitlord
06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Robben great player but wish he would fall over less. Chile a bit lacklustre in that game.

Can't decide whether to watch Brazil v Cameroon or Mexico V Croatia. Decisions, Decisions:confused:

Freebird_Falcon
06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
pip and watch both!

Banquetto
06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I thought Australia had the chance of a stunning upset against Spain but as soon as I heard Spain had made 7 changes to the starting lineup I knew it was all over. We could have beaten a team that had mentally checked out, but no chance against 7 furious replacements out to prove a point to the 7 guys that were picked ahead of them and comprehensively destroyed their World Cup dream. :(

AstaSyneri
06-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Most people are going to watch Italy vs. Uruguay tonight, but I think Costa Rica vs. England is the more interesting match. Can the upstart Ticos beat the pondering Brits, too?

Vomitlord
06-24-2014, 07:58 AM
England need to win or the pressure the media will put on to sack roy will be too much.

I like the look of the team though. Wish he'd played other 2 games with this side.

ps Hope Italy win to wipe the smile off Suarez's face (I am in no way a bitter man)

Bells
06-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Well, Italy went out with a BITE

........ba dum tsh

jonsnow2000
06-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Suarez wins the price for sociopath of the month.

AstaSyneri
06-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Big one today, Germany vs. US. Really curious whether we'll actually end up with a draw.

Patrigan
06-26-2014, 02:46 AM
Big one today, Germany vs. US. Really curious whether we'll actually end up with a draw.

Who cares? BELGIUM BELGIUM BELGIUM!!!

Kroan
06-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Tbh I care more about the Germany vs US then Belgium.

Patrigan
06-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Tbh I care more about the Germany vs US then Belgium.

Why? Chances are they're going for the draw in that game anyway.

At least we Belgians have something to prove, would be the first time we get 9/9 in the group phase.

kickinhead
06-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Hooray for Switzerland....

I'm more Interested for GER vs US though. ^^

Since I'm a quarter German and spent some time living in the US I'm hoping for a Draw so both advance... yeye - typically neutral Swiss Person. xD

Bells
06-26-2014, 05:31 AM
GER vs USA will, on the very least of all accounts, be a very promising game. Germany is coming up as a stronger name with each match, and USA is always a competent team. with all these twists and turns, it will be very interesting to see what happens in this match... probably the highlight of the day.

Kroan
06-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Why? Chances are they're going for the draw in that game anyway.. No they won't. Was a very exciting game. Especially second half.

and USA is always a competent team They are? :P In any case, I'm happy for them they are among the last 16. Good for them :)

Vomitlord
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Very enjoyable game. Think US set up not to concede much.
Could have scored at the end though.

Beckerman Is cool:cool:

Patrigan
06-26-2014, 02:58 PM
They are? :P In any case, I'm happy for them they are among the last 16. Good for them :)

Well, they'll be facing the Belgians now, let's see how these Americans will do.

Shaqattaq
06-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Now that Suarez is suspended, FIFA can get back to monitoring dude's underwear for fine-able violations

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/neymar-investigated-by-fifa-for-underwear-violation-report-1.2687873

Also lol - https://twitter.com/CharlieWyett/statuses/482171526738108417

Bells
06-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Now that Suarez is suspended, FIFA can get back to monitoring dude's underwear for fine-able violations

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/neymar-investigated-by-fifa-for-underwear-violation-report-1.2687873

Also lol - https://twitter.com/CharlieWyett/statuses/482171526738108417

LOL this is fantastic...

AstaSyneri
06-27-2014, 01:13 AM
FIFA has a sanctioned underwear sponsor? Just wow.

I don't like the suspension of Suarez. He should get counseling and psychiatric care, rather. Shame, he is a great player.

Good to see the US got through in that... water polo match? The drainage system for the pitch apparently was delivered by a Northern German company. We know all about rain here ;-).

Now the US faces one of the great power houses of European football let me see, Spain, no, Italy, err, no, England, heck no, Portugal, no, not anymore, oh BELGIUM! I am really curious how that works out.

Now "we" (during World Cups Germany has approximately 40,000,000 highly qualified national team coaches, i.e. the male population) are on to a supposedly easy Algeria and then on to ... France? I am definitely rooting for Nigeria ;-).

jonsnow2000
06-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Suarez: I think the long suspension penalty was given because he is a repeat offender and wasn't the least bit remorseful after it happened. And in that light, I'm ok with the severity of the penalty.

As far as germany goes: I can't shake the feeling that we have gotten very lucky so far. Algeria should be easy, but after that I'm worried...

ursa23
06-28-2014, 02:34 AM
I just love the fact that some geek ran the numbers, and showed it's more likely that a football player will be bit by Suarez than by a shark.

Kroan
06-29-2014, 11:01 AM
WHAT A GAME! Was sitting on the edge of my chair, but we did it! :D

saffamike
06-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Great result. Wore my orange with pride today.

Xenavire
06-29-2014, 11:59 AM
WHAT A GAME! Was sitting on the edge of my chair, but we did it! :D

It was a nail biter all right, thought we were doomed, and then, just like always, we came back late in the game and clinched it. Insane plays all around.

Too bad Robben seems to have a huge target on his back - I am not sure, but has he even been tackled without it being a dangerous slide or a blatant push etc? I mean the whole tournament he has basically been a punching bag, never seen anything like it.

Vomitlord
06-29-2014, 12:22 PM
The Netherlands deserved it. Robben should have a couple of penalties earlier in the game really.

Bells
06-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Brazil here, and goddamn it i just nearly had a heart attack!

No small help from the referee there, but a great match nonetheless...

also Gooooooooooooooooooooo Costa Rica! My team B for this tournament!

AstaSyneri
06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
And for Europe it gets interesting today: Will France and Germany meet in the quarter finals?

tecnophi
06-30-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm 4 for 4 for my predicted winners so far in the round of 16, let's go for all 8.

My predicted winners:

France over Nigeria
Germany over Algeria
Argentina over Switzerland
USA over Belgium (I believe that we will win! And for the record this is like the lamest battle cry ever... should just stick with the USA x1000...)

Vomitlord
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
I've got a funny feeling that Nigeria are going to shock France.

Bells
06-30-2014, 11:45 AM
So close... but nigeria couldn't hold it.

Maybe Germany X Algeria will be the amazing surprise waiting to happen ?

Vomitlord
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Yeah Nigeria gave it a good go. Can't see Germany slipping up but stranger things have happened

Vomitlord
06-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Germany v Algeria, what a great game.

Germany will need to be better to beat France though.

jonsnow2000
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Those were some stressful hours... We were super lucky that the only goal for Algeria happened when it was too late. Very doubtful if we can beat france.

Bells
07-01-2014, 04:28 AM
France was also incredibly lucky. Nigeria was not 100% and yet they only scored 1 goal at the very end. The second goal was own goal, which was unfortunate, but it can happen.

This tourney has been incredibly balanced so far...

Patrigan
07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Belgium is gonna win, I just feel it! We are better on paper!

Vomitlord
07-01-2014, 03:46 PM
The second half of extra time probably the most exciting period of football I've ever watched.

Feel for USA but Belgium deserved it.

mudkip
07-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Sad face. I think both teams played equally.

Banquetto
07-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Had to switch off the TV and head to work at the end of regular time when it was still 0-0. Of course it rains goals in extra time. :p

This tournament is brutal, 5 of the 8 knockout games gone to extra time already, and some pretty hot and humid conditions.. will be interesting to see which teams are tough enough to handle it and which ones crack!

AstaSyneri
07-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Had to switch off the TV and head to work at the end of regular time when it was still 0-0. Of course it rains goals in extra time. :p

This tournament is brutal, 5 of the 8 knockout games gone to extra time already, and some pretty hot and humid conditions.. will be interesting to see which teams are tough enough to handle it and which ones crack!

I hear you - I had to go to bed after regulation in order not to fall asleep at work this morning. Sorry for the US team - I really like their spirit (and Klinsmann :D). Would have wished for the #usmnt to advance one more round.

Oh, well, France is going to be a major opponent now...