PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con Events

Chark
06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey everyone,

edit: After talking to Gen Con, we recommend that if you bought spots at $4, you purchase at full price and refund the original purchase. I am concerned that with whatever fix Gen Con implements, you may end up losing your 4-dollar spot in the draft. Sorry about the hassle.

Our Gen Con events are up. You can find them here (https://gencon.com/events/find). We'll be offering two things for folks there:

Open Play:
This is similar to last year. You'll be able to play a game against other players all weekend and win some prizes. The pre-constructed decks will feature cards from HEX: Shards of Fate and HEX: Shattered Destiny. The event costs 10 dollars and offers the following prizes:

Participation: Sleeves code.
Win: choice of Alternate Art card code or Mercenary code.

Drafts:
We'll be offering a limited number of drafts. We recommend that you purchase event tickets for this event soon as you will likely not be able to use generic tickets for this. The format will be Shattered Destiny/Shattered Destiny/Shards of Fate. This event costs 8 dollars and offers the following prizes:

Participation: Sleeves code and 1 in-game free draft code
2nd place: choice of Alternate Art card code or Mercenary code
1st place: Alternate Art card and Mercenary codes. Poster signed by members of the HEX development team.

FAQ:
Q: How do I sign up for this stuff?
A: Head over to gencon.com, click find events, find the event you want to sign up for (hint: search by company->HEX Entertainment) and click it. You should see an option to your right to buy tickets for that specific event.

Q: Will you offer Gen Con promos in-game, since I can't go to Gen Con?
A: Yes! Distribution of these in-game will definitely happen, although it may happen after Gen Con. Except for deck sleeves and the signed posters.

Q: Why are you guys jamming us up for and extra dollar for a draft?
A: Gen Con only allows us to deal in even dollar amounts, so we can't set the price to 7. We could set it to 6, but Chark likes money. All participants are getting a 7 dollar in-game draft code, so we figure it's okay.

Q: Will we keep the cards we draft?
A: We'll be giving you accounts on which to draft, so you won't get to keep the cards. You will get to keep the free draft code to use on your own account when you get home. You'll also get to keep the sweet sweet memories of your very first set 2 draft.

cavench
06-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Nice!

I'm surprised on the Set 2/2/1 in draft. Cannot wait for all the Set 2 spoilers.

Scammanator
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
A: Yes! Distribution of these in-game will definitely happen, although it may happen after Gen Con. Except for the signed posters. You'll never get those in-game.

Even the deck sleeves?

Chark
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Even the deck sleeves?

Sorry, that was my bad. Sleeves are not something that we'll offer in game. Changed the original post.

yoyogod
06-17-2014, 11:42 AM
A: Yes! Distribution of these in-game will definitely happen, although it may happen after Gen Con. Except for deck sleeves and the signed posters.

Is it also still part of the plan that we will have a chance to get the 2013 Gen Con AAs and Mercs too?

Chark
06-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Is it also still part of the plan that we will have a chance to get the 2013 Gen Con AAs and Mercs too?

Yes, once we offer seasonal and promotional items in game, there'll be an opportunity to get Gen Con 2013 rewards as well.

hacky
06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Will the drafts be using our closed beta accounts (and therefore we keep the cards), or are we going to be on a closed system/fixed accounts? (which is why we get a draft ticket)

EDIT: Also, the drafts cost $4 according to the gencon events...
EDIT 2: Back to $8, fixed now ;)

ossuary
06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Man, I really wish I could make the trip this year. I've never really minded not getting to go to conventions, but the more I see cool stuff happening in the Hex world, the more it bums me out that I can't get down there.

Gwaer
06-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Are the merc/aa prizes for open play and drafts the same?

hacky
06-17-2014, 11:54 AM
And question 2: If I buy 5 tickets for a single draft to have a big group draft with friends. Do the friends need to have Closed Beta accounts, or will the ones without accounts be fine? :D

EDIT: the gencon system might only let me buy two tickets for a single draft hmm...

Chark
06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Will the drafts be using our closed beta accounts (and therefore we keep the cards), or are we going to be on a closed system/fixed accounts? (which is why we get a draft ticket)

System accounts. You won't be able to keep the cards, which is why you're getting a free draft. Added that to the FAQ.

EDIT: Also, the drafts cost $4 according to the gencon events...

Indeed they were. Working with Gen Con to fix that.

Chark
06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Are the merc/aa prizes for open play and drafts the same?

Yes, open play and draft prizes are the same.

Gwaer
06-17-2014, 11:59 AM
The price is fixed now.

Chark
06-17-2014, 12:02 PM
And question 2: If I buy 5 tickets for a single draft to have a big group draft with friends. Do the friends need to have Closed Beta accounts, or will the ones without accounts be fine? :D

EDIT: the gencon system might only let me buy two tickets for a single draft hmm...

We'll provide accounts, but yeah, Gen Con limits you to 2 tickets per event.

hacky
06-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Got my two tickets, got another draft, and telling my friends to get off their butts and order their own. :P

Thanks for the quick answers, Chark! Looking forward to GenCon!

Gwaer
06-17-2014, 12:07 PM
I got a ticket for every time slot, simply because I do not know which time slots will be best for me until the day before =/ So if you see me around the con ask if I had a draft ticket I can't use and you may get lucky. =P

hacky
06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
I got a ticket for every time slot, simply because I do not know which time slots will be best for me until the day before =/ So if you see me around the con ask if I had a draft ticket I can't use and you may get lucky. =P

That and you'll definitely be able to trade the draft entry for $8 in generic tickets if you happen to be unable to make it.

If people don't show up, some lucky people will get in for $8 in generics anyway. :D

Chark
06-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey folks,

After talking to Gen Con, we recommend that if you bought spots at $4, you purchase at full price and refund the original purchase. I am concerned that with whatever fix Gen Con implements, you may end up losing your 4-dollar spot. Sorry about the hassle.

Updating the original post.

arastor
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Thats... not a lot of event spaces. Hope there are some left by the time I get home.

Hatts
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM

So.... Gen Con 2015?

Incindium
06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Yay! I was able to register for 2 drafts on Friday. So one question. It wouldn't let me purchase the HEX Convention League because I only bought a GenCon badge for Friday and the HEX Convention League is set to start on Thurs. I did however buy $10 worth of generic tickets. Those $10 worth of generic tickets should be all I need to get to play the constructed deck play as well right?

mach
06-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Can someone explain the appeal of these events to me? It seems wasteful to do something at GenCon (draft Hex) which I can do at any time. There's so much to see and do there and not nearly enough time for it all, so if something can just as easily be done the week after or before it doesn't seem worth it to spend precious GenCon time on it.

I can see the appeal for players who are just learning about Hex at GenCon and don't have beta accounts. But it seems to me that current community members are hurting the game by snapping up the limited number of slots, since doing so will deny prospective new players the chance to try out Hex. We (backers and other current community members) should be trying to get as many new players in these events, not filling them ourselves.

Hatts
06-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Can someone explain the appeal of these events to me? It seems wasteful to do something at GenCon (draft Hex) which I can do at any time. There's so much to see and do there and not nearly enough time for it all, so if something can just as easily be done the week after or before it doesn't seem worth it to spend precious GenCon time on it.

I can see the appeal for players who are just learning about Hex at GenCon and don't have beta accounts. But it seems to me that current community members are hurting the game by snapping up the limited number of slots, since doing so will deny prospective new players the chance to try out Hex. We (backers and other current community members) should be trying to get as many new players in these events, not filling them ourselves.

I believe you will find your answer here:

Participation: Sleeves code and 1 in-game free draft code
2nd place: choice of Alternate Art card code or Mercenary code
1st place: Alternate Art card and Mercenary codes. Poster signed by members of the HEX development team.

Prizes not available anywhere else. Plus we still don't know how accessible the prizes that are available in game will be.

Scammanator
06-17-2014, 01:25 PM

This may be our first chance to play with set 2 cards, and playing the game we love with a room full of other people has a big appeal to it as well. Plus a chance to interact with the devs.

mach
06-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I believe you will find your answer here:

Prizes not available anywhere else. Plus we still don't know how accessible the prizes that are available in game will be.

And that's a shame IMO. What I'd like to see is the following package for existing players:

You pay: $8 in event tickets
You get: Code which gives you sleeves, alt-art card, merc and 1 in-game draft ticket. Plus a chance to win signed poster.
Random new player gets: Free entry into Gencon draft event. Beta key and code for sleeves, with alt-art/merc code/poster for doing well.

Additionally, if you and the new player want you can stick around for the draft and give the new player advice.

hacky
06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
And that's a shame IMO. What I'd like to see is the following package for existing players:

You pay: $8 in event tickets
You get: Code which gives you sleeves, alt-art card, merc and 1 in-game draft ticket. Plus a chance to win signed poster.
Random new player gets: Free entry into Gencon draft event. Beta key and code for sleeves, with alt-art/merc code/poster for doing well.

Additionally, if you and the new player want you can stick around for the draft and give the new player advice.

Except, the drafts are NOT designed for completely new players. Look at the event description itself:

https://gencon.com/events/65832
Experience Required: Some (You've played it a bit and understand the basics)

The drafts are offered for us experienced players. They are designed to give us an prerelease taste of Set 2 draft. Gen Con is August 14-17, so there is a good chance that this occurs BEFORE you can draft with Set 2 on the live client.

That is the appeal. New players can play in the Hex League all weekend.

EDIT: In addition, ALL of the drafts are sold out on the GenCon event system. A new player will not know they are going to want to draft 2 months in advance. I look forward to seeing everyone at GenCon in the two drafts I bought tickets for. :D

funktion
06-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Well those sold out fast! I'll be sure to bring a couple extra spools of cat5 cable and maybe I can trade those to Chris so that he can sneak me in.

hacky
06-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Well those sold out fast! I'll be sure to bring a couple extra spools of cat5 cable and maybe I can trade those to Chris so that he can sneak me in.

Given the demand, there's always the possibility for more drafts to be added later. Or maybe some drafts on the fly! ;)

By the way Chark, if you make some 9PM drafts, I'm sure you'll find some people to join them. ;)

Raith
06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
I think it will be a blast to meet and play with some fellow Hexers. Seeing Set 2 and the prizes are also a bonus. I can spare a few hours for that.

I would argue the league is a much better environment for new players anyways.

Chark
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Yay! I was able to register for 2 drafts on Friday. So one question. It wouldn't let me purchase the HEX Convention League because I only bought a GenCon badge for Friday and the HEX Convention League is set to start on Thurs. I did however buy $10 worth of generic tickets. Those $10 worth of generic tickets should be all I need to get to play the constructed deck play as well right?

Generic tickets will work for league because we don't really have a limit on spots (there will just be a line).

Generic tickets will only work for drafts if they don't fill, or if we have a no-show.

Chark
06-17-2014, 02:23 PM

Drafts are for existing players. Don't feel bad about snapping them up. League is for new players discovering the game :)

Incindium
06-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Hey Hacky which drafts did you get tickets for? I got the Friday Noon and 3pm.

hacky
06-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Friday 6PM, Saturday 6PM - I'll want to browse the exhibit hall while it's open on both days. :)

Chark
06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Given the demand, there's always the possibility for more drafts to be added later. Or maybe some drafts on the fly! ;)

By the way Chark, if you make some 9PM drafts, I'm sure you'll find some people to join them. ;)

We're looking at adding more events, but I can't promise anything right now.

Rehab
06-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Well those sold out fast...

hacky
06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Not as fast as trying to grab True Dungeon tickets for a large group...

Gwaer
06-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Not as fast as trying to grab True Dungeon tickets for a large group...
True story.

Chiany
06-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes, once we offer seasonal and promotional items in game, there'll be an opportunity to get Gen Con 2013 rewards as well.

So, another sign PVE won't be here anytime soon.
2015 it is then.

Skirovik
06-17-2014, 08:45 PM
So, another sign PVE won't be here anytime soon.
2015 it is then.

I don't understand how what you quoted has anything to do with PVE. Did you quote the wrong thing?

Bullus
06-17-2014, 09:27 PM
I don't understand how what you quoted has anything to do with PVE. Did you quote the wrong thing?

from CZE's last change to how to earn convention prizes in game most of the ways are tied to pve, hence the statement is directly tied to CZE not providing pve content

hex_colin
06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
from CZE's last change to how to earn convention prizes in game most of the ways are tied to pve, hence the statement is directly tied to CZE not providing pve content

2 things...

There's a lot of time between GenCon and 2015... Just because you might not be able to earn then during GenCon doesn't mean it'll be anything like 2015 before you'll have a chance.
No guarantee that you'll only be able to get them through PVE, either in the short- or long-term future. Who knows what the HEX team has in store for us in the near future with respect to getting these convention items.

AswanJaguar
06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
2 things...

Who knows what the HEX team has in store for us in the near future with respect to getting these convention items.

Oh, you saucy Scottish bastard. :D

Skirovik
06-17-2014, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification. At least I know where the idea came from, regardless of whether it's right or not.

Gwaer
06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Weren't they actually tied to matchmaking... Not pve?

Bullus
06-17-2014, 10:23 PM
quote from https://hextcg.com/friday-update-the-near-future/ which was 30/5/2014 so is only like 2 1/2 week old info

"One of the things we have been discussing as Gen Con approaches is the promise I made last year about dropping the Con exclusives in the future. I know that in the past we talked about doing holiday and promotional rewards attached to the chests opened during that specific promotion or holiday. In retrospect, this method of distribution is not ideal, as it makes people feel bad for opening packs/chests outside of these promotional periods. I never want you to feel bad opening packs or chests, so we are reworking the way promotional rewards will drop.

We are going to create a new item that you can loot and call them Holiday Gifts or Gen Con Gifts (final names TBD). These items will drop from various activities in the game and won’t be tied to packs, Wheels of Fate, or Chests. Examples where you might see these drops will include (not all are going to be implemented immediately, and they may be subject to change):

Wins from matchmaking (not the challenge button—the blind matchmaking)
Completion of quests in the game
Progression through PvE content

This gives us a bit more flexibility for giving out seasonal loot. Of course anything tied to a convention promotion will still be available on site at the show via a redeemable code. We believe that between the codes and the drops in game we can get these items to almost anyone who wants them. In the end, the point was to make something fun and cool, not have people feel left out… except SLEEVES! Con exclusive sleeves will ONLY be available at the show; I think it’s a reasonably cool way to show you attended an event without having it impact gameplay."

doesn't really make it clear if these items are time based tied to conventions or holidays yet that is strongly inferred, as also

pretty strongly infers different items for each years convention items

and i didn't say only through pve i said most (2/3) ways they listed are tied to pve

Bullus
06-18-2014, 06:49 AM
There's a lot of time between GenCon and 2015... Just because you might not be able to earn then during GenCon doesn't mean it'll be anything like 2015 before you'll have a chance.

um yeah this has been bugging me too, if the loots are tied to holidays / conventions, that is exactly what it means... if we can't get the loot drops from this year's gencon, then not only can we not get them til 2015, we can't get them til gencon 2015. that would be like saying, ohh you missed christmas loots, nevermind you can get them at easter. cause i highly doubt that holiday / convention loots will be dropping 365 days a year

ossuary
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
That's the dumbest conclusion I've ever heard. In what universe are companies only able to offer rewards on a single weekend a year? They can flip the switch to give rewards out ANY time they want. :p

Here's what will actually happen:

"This week, we are finally ready to launch the PVE content for Hex! To celebrate this historic occasion, and to fulfill the promises we made to all of our loyal backers, we are making the GenCon 2013 and 2014 exclusive items available to all players! For the next two weeks, all players who win matches in random encounters in the Proving Grounds, and anyone who successfully completes a dungeon in our new PVE area will have a chance to receive GenCon awards in addition to their normal loot drops. We hope you enjoy this new content!"

Vorpal
06-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Wiill you be able to play 'in game' if you can't attend gen-con and get some promos/event related items?

If yes, are the dates during which you can do this the same as the dates of the event themselves? I kind of hope not....

I will be on a trip during all the days of gencon (and thus unable to attend gencon). I will also be without internet access, and thus unable to play in-game. I will be coming back the day after gencon ends :(

It would be nice if there was a brief window after the event where one could earn event related promo materials (even if not the same materials people earn by actually showing up physically to gencon).

dogmod
06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
That's the dumbest conclusion I've ever heard. In what universe are companies only able to offer rewards on a single weekend a year? They can flip the switch to give rewards out ANY time they want. :p

"This week, we are finally ready to launch the PVE content for Hex! To celebrate this historic occasion, and to fulfill the promises we made to all of our loyal backers, we are making the GenCon 2013 and 2014 exclusive items available to all players! For the next two weeks, all players who win matches in random encounters in the Proving Grounds, and anyone who successfully completes a dungeon in our new PVE area will have a chance to receive GenCon awards in addition to their normal loot drops. We hope you enjoy this new content!"

Good thing that you are so sure. Not that the people who traveled to GenCon to get rewards will be disappointed about the devaluation of their rewards.

Bullus
06-18-2014, 08:50 AM

that makes no sense, cause when CZE was talking about chest / packs having the loot they specifically said they would be tied to dates. this is not some paper tcg, this is some hardcore programming we are talking about, i highly doubt CZE is going to add temp loot table to all pve dungeons and matchmaking (that probablely won't have a loot table outside of these events) ontop of all the possible issues the pve launch will entail. CZE will prob have a small window of time around the convention event, not just the limited time of the convention though cause a single weekend is pretty harsh. that would really suck if they add a christmas event that only was for USA christmas day and not extended time before and after.

but yeah willing to bet you couple of packs that gencon 2013 and 2014 loots are not available at pve launch and are only available around or during gencon 2015 (if pve is fully launched by then :( )

Xenavire
06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Good thing that you are so sure. Not that the people who traveled to GenCon to get rewards will be disappointed about the devaluation of their rewards.

They have already confirmed that they are doing it, it is just a matter of when and for how long. Oss has a decent estimate based of HexEnt's previous behaviour in these situations.

I personally think that they will just open it all up over christmas, assuming they miss Gencon and are ready by christmas.

ossuary
06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
but yeah willing to bet you couple of packs that gencon 2013 and 2014 loots are not available at pve launch and are only available around or during gencon 2015 (if pve is fully launched by then :( )

I will happily bet you 2 packs that the GenCon 2013 and GenCon 2014 rewards (obviously excluding the sleeves) will be made available in-game for some amount of time, prior to GenCon 2015. I have no problem taking your packs from you. :)

The bet is: you will be able to earn or win some or all of the alternate art and mercenary rewards from GenCon 2013 and GenCon 2014 in client prior to August 1st, 2015. Agreed?

Ebynfel
06-18-2014, 09:34 AM

They have announced, many times, that this is the likely scenario for everything except sleeves. This has been known to con attendees since a little before Gencon 2014, where it was shared that the gencon 2014 awards will be available in game via some sort of system, except sleeves. Same for Gencon 2015 loots. Sleeves are the "Attendee Only" prize because having them does not, at all, affect mechanical gameplay. Mercs and alt arts potentially do, so they will be available to be earned/purchased off the AH, by all during the holiday events.

Bullus
06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
I will happily bet you 2 packs that the GenCon 2013 and GenCon 2014 rewards (obviously excluding the sleeves) will be made available in-game for some amount of time, prior to GenCon 2015. I have no problem taking your packs from you. :)

The bet is: you will be able to earn or win some or all of the alternate art and mercenary rewards from GenCon 2013 and GenCon 2014 in client prior to August 1st, 2015. Agreed?

agreed, and to clarify, lets say 2 of the most recent set packs as of 1st August 2015 or the date at which gencon loots become available in the client which ever is first

but to be clear, you said available at pve launch, so i wish to propose another bet with basically same terms, where gencon 2013 and 2014 loots are not available the first 2 weeks of first launch of pve (supposedly in open beta stage) as you proposed in the statement i was issue bet against

dogmod
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
agreed, and to clarify, lets say 2 of the most recent set packs as of 1st August 2015 or the date at which gencon loots become available in the client which ever is first

but to be clear, you said available at pve launch, so i wish to propose another bet with basically same terms, where gencon 2013 and 2014 loots are not available the first 2 weeks of first launch of pve (supposedly in open beta stage) as you proposed in the statement i was issue bet against

Exactly I will take that bet also since you were sure. They will be available but for 2 weeks they will not be

Bullus
06-18-2014, 09:58 AM
so the wager i am proposing would be 4 packs to you if at pve launch (or 2 weeks after) gencon loots are available, 2 packs to me if they are not. and then if between 2 weeks after pve launch and 31st July 2015 gencon loots become available 2 packs to you (so 2-2 split between us but based on whatever is current set at time of completion of whatever stage of wager) and if available during August 2015 4 packs to me

but i still accept your watered down stance bet if you no longer stand by your claims of at pve launch

ossuary
06-18-2014, 11:22 AM
You said they would not be available until "at our around GenCon 2015" at the earliest. I say otherwise. There's no telling when PVE launch will be exactly (but it will be before GenCon 2015!); my fake CZE quote was meant as an example scenario in which the GenCon rewards for last year and this year will become available prior to GenCon of NEXT year. I'm just pointing out that there's absolutely no reason for them to wait an entire year to make those rewards available, they could just as easily add them to the loot table at Halloween, or Christmas, or not tie them to another time-based event at all and just straight-up make them available as soon as the coding work to allow that is done (and technically, this might even be done in time for GenCon 2014, for all we know - since they don't have to flag treasure chests with event stamps anymore, they could just add the AA items and mercs to the client in a patch and let them drop for a period of time).

Let's stick with the one bet, rather than me tying my horse to PVE launch or nothing. I'm not interested in breaking even on a potential technicality. ;)

Bullus
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
You said they would not be available until "at our around GenCon 2015" at the earliest. I say otherwise. There's no telling when PVE launch will be exactly (but it will be before GenCon 2015!); my fake CZE quote was meant as an example scenario in which the GenCon rewards for last year and this year will become available prior to GenCon of NEXT year. I'm just pointing out that there's absolutely no reason for them to wait an entire year to make those rewards available, they could just as easily add them to the loot table at Halloween, or Christmas, or not tie them to another time-based event at all and just straight-up make them available as soon as the coding work to allow that is done (and technically, this might even be done in time for GenCon 2014, for all we know - since they don't have to flag treasure chests with event stamps anymore, they could just add the AA items and mercs to the client in a patch and let them drop for a period of time).

Let's stick with the one bet, rather than me tying my horse to PVE launch or nothing. I'm not interested in breaking even on a potential technicality. ;)

ok lets go with first bet, but if they drop for gencon 2014, lets call it a tie.... cause yeah it is assumed by pretty much everyone they won't be ready.... and i was saying they will only drop for gencon, not specifically for 2015 (i don't even wanna think what it will mean if they don't drop before or during gencon 2015)

ossuary
06-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Fair enough. If they are in fact ready by GenCon 2014, it's a not-bet, because your contention was that IF they weren't ready in time for that, it would be a full year later. So I'm fine with that (especially since if that happens, we'll have our rewards nice and soon!).

Werlix
06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
that makes no sense, cause when CZE was talking about chest / packs having the loot they specifically said they would be tied to dates. this is not some paper tcg, this is some hardcore programming we are talking about, i highly doubt CZE is going to add temp loot table to all pve dungeons and matchmaking (that probablely won't have a loot table outside of these events) ontop of all the possible issues the pve launch will entail. CZE will prob have a small window of time around the convention event, not just the limited time of the convention though cause a single weekend is pretty harsh. that would really suck if they add a christmas event that only was for USA christmas day and not extended time before and after.

I don't think technical difficulty would be an issue here. Having loot drop within a time frame that can be altered whenever HexEnt want to would be pretty easy stuff. Eg:

UPDATE loot_table SET start_date = '2014-10-01 00:00:00', end_date = '2014-10-15 00:00:00' WHERE loot_id = 'GenCon2013' OR loot_id = 'GenCon2014';

hacky
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't think technical difficulty would be an issue here. Having loot drop within a time frame that can be altered whenever HexEnt want to would be pretty easy stuff. Eg:

UPDATE loot_table SET start_date = '2014-10-01 00:00:00', end_date = '2014-10-15 00:00:00' WHERE loot_id = 'GenCon2013' OR loot_id = 'GenCon2014';

This example is laughable, but good try. Rarely anything is as cut and dry as to be solved by a single query, even if you consider it pseudocode. :)

Technical difficulty is rarely the issue. It's development and engineering cost - the time it takes to spec, implement and test a feature. And it doesn't take a software engineer to know that there are a lot of features that are waiting to get into the Hex client sooner than event loot tables.

Bullus
06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Fair enough. If they are in fact ready by GenCon 2014, it's a not-bet, because your contention was that IF they weren't ready in time for that, it would be a full year later. So I'm fine with that (especially since if that happens, we'll have our rewards nice and soon!).

indeed the dragon blood in me loves shinies in all forms, plus my birthday is 8/8 so maybe they will drop for my birthday

EntropyBall
06-18-2014, 02:47 PM
I'd totally take ossuary's half of this bet. Anyone think Bullus is correct and want to wager a few packs with me?

They have to develop this system of special "event" loot tables for the conventions anyway. Its not special development to use it outside of the convention week. And its actually better for them to test it out before GenCon 2015, if possible, so that it goes smoothly during the con. And it doesn't make sense to have 1 crazy week in 2015 where you can get exclusives from all 3 cons at once, and then never again. I could easily see something like ossuary suggested, or a few weeks in May to celebrate Hex's 2nd birthday.

DrakarT
06-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Ok... Sorry for switching your bet topic. But I didn't understand.. So... If I wanna get the gencon sleeves I need only to get the 10usd pass.. And I can get them by playing on my home? Or only if I go to the con itself?
May I get the mercenaries just playing Hex and not paying the 10usd ticket??

ossuary
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Ok... Sorry for switching your bet topic. But I didn't understand.. So... If I wanna get the gencon sleeves I need only to get the 10usd pass.. And I can get them by playing on my home? Or only if I go to the con itself?
May I get the mercenaries just playing Hex and not paying the 10usd ticket??

Sleeves that are given out at special events or conventions, you will ONLY be able to get by going there in person (with the possible exception of HexCon #1, because they said during the KS campaign we would all get all the rewards even if we can't attend). Alternate Art cards and Mercenaries you will be able to earn or win in-game at some point in the future, when that capability is added to the game. They'll make an announcement when it's working, and let us know what we have to do to have a chance of getting those prizes in-game.

pinkshirtbadman
07-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Sorry for the semi necro here (last active 12 days ago)

On the Gencon website there is a HEX league ticket for $10 https://gencon.com/events/66475
I'm not 100% clear on what this is, just an in-person "random matchmaking" game? If so does the $10 only get me in one game? That seems kind of steep.

Hatts
07-30-2014, 07:44 AM
It's $10 for unlimited play over the weekend. You line up, get matched up with someone and if you win get a code for an Alternate Art card or a Mercenary (your choice.)

hexnaes
07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I couldn't figure out how to purchase the unlimited play pass without buying a GenCon ticket. Am i missing something, or will I need to purchase a GenCon ticket just to buy the unlimited play Hex pass?

Svenn
07-30-2014, 09:59 AM
I couldn't figure out how to purchase the unlimited play pass without buying a GenCon ticket. Am i missing something, or will I need to purchase a GenCon ticket just to buy the unlimited play Hex pass?

You need to be at GenCon to participate... so yeah, you need a GenCon ticket.

hexnaes
07-30-2014, 10:55 AM
You need to be at GenCon to participate... so yeah, you need a GenCon ticket.

So the $10 fee isn't for the digital play to win promo stuff? As in, everyone who has a Hex account can login and play for free that weekend and win promo items?

Yoss
07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
So the $10 fee isn't for the digital play to win promo stuff? As in, everyone who has a Hex account can login and play for free that weekend and win promo items?

No. There is no digital attendance, at least not this year.

hexnaes
07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
No. There is no digital attendance, at least not this year.

Oh, thanks.

Wow, huge let down. I almost bought a GenCon ticket to sign up for the $10 pass so I could play. Glad I didn't do that.

Hatts
07-30-2014, 11:01 AM

There's going to be Gencon / Holiday Gifts (final name TBD) randomly rewarded in game for playing. You don't need to pay anything for them. Opening them will give the promo items.

ossuary
07-30-2014, 11:02 AM
There has been zero word at this point whether or not the "earn items in game during the event" code is going to be done in time for GenCon (based on zero notice, I'm betting not). So right now, we don't know how or if we'll be earning GenCon 2014 items in-game at the time of the con - that may have to be a window of opportunity later on.

hexnaes
07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
There has been zero word at this point whether or not the "earn items in game during the event" code is going to be done in time for GenCon (based on zero notice, I'm betting not). So right now, we don't know how or if we'll be earning GenCon 2014 items in-game at the time of the con - that may have to be a window of opportunity later on.

I guess I had just assumed it was happening, because that was the plan was after the feedback from last year's event. I'm hopeful I'll be able to participate.

ossuary
07-30-2014, 11:49 AM
We know they're going to have in-game chances to get those items at some point, we just don't know if that will be ready in time for being simultaneous with GenCon itself. ;)

Svenn
07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
In order to get items from playing, you don't need to buy anything additional... just play at the specified times (doing whatever the specified methods of earning are which we aren't 100% sure on yet, though proving grounds was mentioned and opening chests from packs purchased during the event as well). Currently we haven't heard if this will be ready for GenCon 2014, but if not those rewards will be rolled up into the next time they do this (along with the 2013 rewards).

Important thing is that you don't need to do buy/do anything related to actual GenCon to qualify for earning them in game.

sukebe
07-30-2014, 12:14 PM
In order to get items from playing, you don't need to buy anything additional... just play at the specified times (doing whatever the specified methods of earning are which we aren't 100% sure on yet, though proving grounds was mentioned and opening chests from packs purchased during the event as well). Currently we haven't heard if this will be ready for GenCon 2014, but if not those rewards will be rolled up into the next time they do this (along with the 2013 rewards).

Important thing is that you don't need to do buy/do anything related to actual GenCon to qualify for earning them in game.

I do not think opening packs during the event gives special chests anymore. Didn't their last update on this issue say they were switching to the new method entirely (I.E. random proving grounds, PVE Dungeons, PVE quests)?

Svenn
07-30-2014, 12:40 PM
I do not think opening packs during the event gives special chests anymore. Didn't their last update on this issue say they were switching to the new method entirely (I.E. random proving grounds, PVE Dungeons, PVE quests)?

Well, it did say methods to earn include the ones they listed. They didn't specifically say chests won't have them anymore, but I think you might be right.

Bullus
07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Well, it did say methods to earn include the ones they listed. They didn't specifically say chests won't have them anymore, but I think you might be right.

they (or more specifically Cory) did actually, :) heres the link (https://hextcg.com/friday-update-the-near-future/)

and heres the quote
"Cory Jones:

We are going to create a new item that you can loot and call them Holiday Gifts or Gen Con Gifts (final names TBD). These items will drop from various activities in the game and won’t be tied to packs, Wheels of Fate, or Chests.

edit: also whoops didn't realize this was the thread i had already posted this in, um but yeah posted this full version of this quote like 3 pages ago (2 weeks), so edited down the quote and provided a link to my earlier post link to my earlier post in this thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36511&p=383582&viewfull=1#post383582)

pinkshirtbadman
07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
It seems fairly obvious to me that the special Gencon prizes won't be available for non gencon visitors during that year's show. (i.e. Gencon2014 cards won't be available to a guy at home in Washington during the 2014 con) The actual physical participants will have them at early access for a while before any ol' joe can get them (but joe can still get them sometime later, minus the sleeves.) Otherwise it completely diminishes the incentive to actually come to the show and play.

It would be very similar to how a lot of pre-order "exclusive" DLC content is handled these days. If you get it from Best Buy you get the Epic Weapons Pack free! Six months later people who bought it at Target can then buy that pack.

I assume they'd be exclusive at least a few weeks, maybe months, but a year seems to long. Non participants at 2015 able to get 2014 stuff seems just to far in the past.

Yoss
07-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Sure hope it's not months. Weeks maybe, and only if there's no new content releases in between the two where the mercs could have been a factor in speed/ease of progression.

ossuary
07-30-2014, 03:31 PM
It seems fairly obvious to me that the special Gencon prizes won't be available for non gencon visitors during that year's show. (i.e. Gencon2014 cards won't be available to a guy at home in Washington during the 2014 con) The actual physical participants will have them at early access for a while before any ol' joe can get them (but joe can still get them sometime later, minus the sleeves.) Otherwise it completely diminishes the incentive to actually come to the show and play.

It would be very similar to how a lot of pre-order "exclusive" DLC content is handled these days. If you get it from Best Buy you get the Epic Weapons Pack free! Six months later people who bought it at Target can then buy that pack.

I assume they'd be exclusive at least a few weeks, maybe months, but a year seems to long. Non participants at 2015 able to get 2014 stuff seems just to far in the past.

No. They are intended to be timed events that happen for the people at home at the same time the live event is happening. It's just that they haven't been able to get that coded into the system yet. According to Cory, in the future, the online prizes will be available concurrently with the live event prizes (minus the sleeves).

We just don't know whether or not that's going to be in place in time for GenCon this year (personally I highly doubt it, but we will see).

tehkj
07-30-2014, 04:45 PM
So all the drafts are filled up now?

Gwaer
07-30-2014, 04:47 PM
They filled up in just a couple of hours of being posted.

Yoss
07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
They filled up in just a couple of hours of being posted.

I'm surprised they haven't announced more slots given how much demand there seems to be.

Gwaer
07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Only so many hours in the day.

hex_colin
07-30-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm surprised they haven't announced more slots given how much demand there seems to be.

It's a logistics problem. As it is that's 8 PCs taken up almost continuously = longer lines for the random 1v1s.

Scammanator
07-30-2014, 06:50 PM
random 2v2s.

2-headed-giant format now playable in client! Orange confirmed!

(just teasing, Colin.)

pinkshirtbadman
07-30-2014, 06:52 PM
No. They are intended to be timed events that happen for the people at home at the same time the live event is happening. It's just that they haven't been able to get that coded into the system yet. According to Cory, in the future, the online prizes will be available concurrently with the live event prizes (minus the sleeves).

We just don't know whether or not that's going to be in place in time for GenCon this year (personally I highly doubt it, but we will see).

Do you have a direct source for live events being available simultaneously at home?
I'm not saying I don't believe you as I see that could very easily be the case but the only official statement I've seen on it is that the non sleeve stuff will be available elsewhere in game. here's that quote

We are going to create a new item that you can loot and call them Holiday Gifts or Gen Con Gifts (final names TBD). These items will drop from various activities in the game and won’t be tied to packs, Wheels of Fate, or Chests. Examples where you might see these drops will include (not all are going to be implemented immediately, and they may be subject to change):
Wins from matchmaking (not the challenge button—the blind matchmaking)
Completion of quests in the game
Progression through PvE content
This gives us a bit more flexibility for giving out seasonal loot. Of course anything tied to a convention promotion will still be available on site at the show via a redeemable code. We believe that between the codes and the drops in game we can get these items to almost anyone who wants them. In the end, the point was to make something fun and cool, not have people feel left out… except SLEEVES! Con exclusive sleeves will ONLY be available at the show; I think it’s a reasonably cool way to show you attended an event without having it impact gameplay.

While I will acknowledge that it can be inferred from this it would happen during the event, I didn't read it as a definitive confirmation on timing.

mach
07-30-2014, 06:56 PM

That's pretty horrible if true. It means those attending the convention but unable to participate in the live events because they're sold out will miss out completely.

Svenn
07-30-2014, 06:59 PM

ossuary is right. This is what has been stated in the past. I don't have the time to go look up a direct link/quote but that was the intended plan... exclusives are available in game DURING the con.

Scammanator
07-30-2014, 07:12 PM
ossuary is right. This is what has been stated in the past. I don't have the time to go look up a direct link/quote but that was the intended plan... exclusives are available in game DURING the con.

Here's the first mention of it: http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

"What we’re doing is this: the sleeves are given out only if you attend the event, like a collectible convention badge (sleeves are going to be EARNED). The mercenaries and alternate art cards will be included in the booster pack treasure chests generated during the hours of the event (in the case of Gen Con 2014, it would be 12 AM Thursday to 11:59 PM Sunday, across all four days of the convention)."

Obviously a great deal of it is out of date. But the state intention is there.

Yoss
07-30-2014, 07:55 PM
That's pretty horrible if true. It means those attending the convention but unable to participate in the live events because they're sold out will miss out completely.

The unlimited play won't sell out, only the drafts did. Right?

And they give the same rewards for winning the 1v1 as for the drafts. Probably more efficiently too.

ossuary
07-30-2014, 07:59 PM

And they give the same rewards for winning the 1v1 as for the drafts. Probably more efficiently too.

This. The limited events are for drafts only. ANY Hex activity at the con (i.e. the unlimited play 1v1 matches) will still get you the prizes. It's just the drafts are probably going to be way more fun (and totally exclusive to a very limited number of con attendees, since they're already sold out).

mach
07-30-2014, 08:14 PM

They still have limited capacity. If demand exceeds that capacity, you will have people who want to participate but won't be able to.

pinkshirtbadman
07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the links guys.
I still think it's kinda silly, imo (which of course is not worth much) the live players should get some headstart on having the stuff even if only a few weeks, but I suppose it does make more sense for timing to do them all in the same window.

I didn't go last year (I may make it this time) but my understanding is the 1v1s will have a line since there's limited physical room, which means it is possible someone might not be able to make it through. So I guess make sure you have your schedule arranged with some spare room.

ossuary
07-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Nobody got turned away last year, they just had to wait 20-30 minutes sometimes to get a game in. There were many people who queued up dozens of times and came home with tons of spare prize codes. And the people who were already fans were also really good about making sure the newbies in the line got pushed up to the front faster, so they didn't have to wait as long to get converted. :)

mach
07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Nobody got turned away last year, they just had to wait 20-30 minutes sometimes to get a game in. There were many people who queued up dozens of times and came home with tons of spare prize codes. And the people who were already fans were also really good about making sure the newbies in the line got pushed up to the front faster, so they didn't have to wait as long to get converted. :)

But what if the game becomes popular and suddenly there are hordes of people wanting to play?

ossuary
07-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Then first world problems? :)

Bring your laptop and play online from your hotel room when you're not actually on the GenCon show floor. ;)

Gwaer
07-30-2014, 08:36 PM
I'll have some extra draft tickets to give away throughout the convention. I bought a bunch of them and definitely can't do all of them.

hex_colin
07-30-2014, 09:12 PM
2-headed-giant format now playable in client! Orange confirmed!

(just teasing, Colin.)

LOL. Damn iPad fat fingering! ;) I fixed the original...

Skirovik
07-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Then first world problems? :)

Bring your laptop and play online from your hotel room when you're not actually on the GenCon show floor. ;)

This is a great idea!

elfstone
07-30-2014, 10:11 PM
well this is generally what happens at cons anyways. Theres always limited pace, whether its panels, events, swag. You gotta pick your poison. Personally if I managed to hit Gencon Id probably spend 1-2 full days at the hex queue. Cause i'm crazy like that :p

Bullus
07-30-2014, 11:49 PM

um may be reading this wrong, but are you now agreeing with me, and basically saying i won our bet, or do you believe that gencon prizes will be available from other in games events (non gencon holidays ) before gencon 2015? :)

and ohh damn, just reread ya post and the "some or all" part which i missed when initially posting as was 2.30am on that day when i made the bet with you, probably wouldn't have done it if i read the some part (though hoping the exclusive part will still save me though) as I view it as if all the rewards are not available in the figurative event then truly i was more right, but what is done is done. heres hoping CZE doesn't go and release just 1 of the rewards before gencon 2015 letting you win on a technicality :( but yeah bet still stands, and as i am sure neither of us needs more set 1 cards will wait and let time be the decider on our bet

Jacklau89
07-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Just wanted to say thank you CZE for allowing those of us who cannot made it to the Gencon but still giving out the AA cards and mercenaries in game:oLove you all and have fun in the big event!

ossuary
07-31-2014, 03:57 AM
um may be reading this wrong, but are you now agreeing with me, and basically saying i won our bet, or do you believe that gencon prizes will be available from other in games events (non gencon holidays ) before gencon 2015? :)

I am saying I don't believe they will have the custom code to let you get rewards in-game ready in time for GenCon this year. I am NOT saying we will have to wait all the way until GenCon 2015 to get the GenCon 2013 rewards. At some point in most likely the next few months, there will be a patch adding this capability to the client (probably around the launch of PVE), and they will say something like "OK! In game rewards work now! For the next X days, you can win GenCon 2013 or GenCon 2014 rewards (and any other special event rewards that may have happened by then, depending how long it takes) in client by doing A, B, or C. Have fun!"

They will absolutely not wait all the way until GenCon 2015 to offer the GenCon 2013 rewards in game. That was the bet. :)