PDA

View Full Version : Question about VIP

Xwulf
06-19-2014, 02:21 PM
I paid for one month of VIP. If I cancel it... decide in a few months to start it again is that ok?

or do I get banned for canceling it?

Aradon
06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
VIP is a service you can purchase that will last one month. When that time expires, you'll no longer be receiving the benefits of the VIP package, and that's all. You're free to purchase it or not purchase it as you see fit, and there are absolutely no consequences to this decision (beyond whether or not you receive the VIP benefits).

So, pay as you see fit.

Shivdaddy
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
No you were right. Its a life contract...

noragar
06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
VIP is a service you can purchase that will last one month. When that time expires, you'll no longer be receiving the benefits of the VIP package, and that's all. You're free to purchase it or not purchase it as you see fit, and there are absolutely no consequences to this decision (beyond whether or not you receive the VIP benefits).

So, pay as you see fit.

That's incorrect. VIP is automatically renewed each month until it's canceled, at least if paying with a credit card. It may be different for other payment methods.

If you were to cancel, then immediately resubscribe to get an extra pack, I'm sure that would be frowned upon, and I hope there's something in place to prevent it. For example, I subscribe on the 1st of the month and get packs on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. If I keep the subscription, my next pack will be delivered on the 5th or 6th of the following month. I would hope you wouldn't be able to cancel, then resubscribe on the 30th and get a new pack immediately.

I can't imagine there would be any issue resubscribing a few months down the road.

Aradon
06-19-2014, 02:47 PM
That's incorrect. VIP is automatically renewed each month until it's canceled, at least if paying with a credit card. It may be different for other payment methods.

If you were to cancel, then immediately resubscribe to get an extra pack, I'm sure that would be frowned upon, and I hope there's something in place to prevent it. For example, I subscribe on the 1st of the month and get packs on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. If I keep the subscription, my next pack will be delivered on the 5th or 6th of the following month. I would hope you wouldn't be able to cancel, then resubscribe on the 30th and get a new pack immediately.

I can't imagine there would be any issue resubscribing a few months down the road.

Interesting, I presumed you paid with platinum, without needing to associate a credit card.

Yoss
06-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Interesting, I presumed you paid with platinum, without needing to associate a credit card.

No, the whole point of the discount is that it's a subscription, just like with magazines or whatever. Otherwise you pay full prices. VIP is there to give a solid recurring baseline income for Hex in exchange for extra value to the players who are supporting them (thus calling them "VIP").

Lonestar1771
06-20-2014, 09:51 AM
I have a question about VIP as well.

If I sub, say around the 20th of the month, will I receive the first 3 packs for that month, or will I pay 4 bucks for a single pack?

Marsden
06-20-2014, 09:56 AM
I have a question about VIP as well.

If I sub, say around the 20th of the month, will I receive the first 3 packs for that month, or will I pay 4 bucks for a single pack?

You get a pack the moment you pay, then a pack a week. Then you pay again in a month's time. The month is based on when you start it, not the calendar.

jonsnow2000
06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
It's basically a 30 day subscription, doesn't matter when you sign up. You will get your pack at the exact time and date you signed up every 7 days.

Vorpal
06-20-2014, 10:31 AM

If you were to cancel, then immediately resubscribe to get an extra pack, I'm sure that would be frowned upon, and I hope there's something in place to prevent it. [b]For example, I subscribe on the 1st of the month and get packs on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th. If I keep the subscription, my next pack will be delivered on the 5th or 6th of the following month.[b] I would hope you wouldn't be able to cancel, then resubscribe on the 30th and get a new pack immediately.

I question this. In your first month, you were charged and immediately got a pack.

In your second month, you were charged and then didn't get a pack for an entire week. In the second month, you actually lost a pack to the ether somewhere. You got charged on the 1st and got packs on the 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th.

You got 5 packs in the first moth and only 4 in the second.

If Hex is doing it by calendar month then they open themselves up to all kinds of problems. I thought they just did it by week, but who knows.

Now, if you DO cancel your subscription at, say, 28 days instead of 30 days, yes, you can squeeze more packs out of the 'year' bu tyou are also being charged more subscription fees, so it balances out. Instead of being charged every 30 days (12 times per year) you are charged every 28 days (13 times per year).

So if you manage to squeeze 4 extra packs out of the year for your extra month subscription...grats, I guess, but you're not getting anything for free.

noragar
06-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I question this. In your first month, you were charged and immediately got a pack.

In your second month, you were charged and then didn't get a pack for an entire week. In the second month, you actually lost a pack to the ether somewhere. You got charged on the 1st and got packs on the 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th.

You got 5 packs in the first moth and only 4 in the second.

You aren't losing a pack to the ether in the second month, you're pulling a pack from the ether in the first month.

VIP gives 1 pack each week. In 1 week, you get 1 pack. In 2 weeks, you get 2 packs. In 4 weeks, you get 4 packs. In 5 weeks, you get 5 packs. In 10 weeks, you gt 10 packs. In 52 weeks, you get 52 packs. Do you see a pattern forming here?

If Hex is doing it by calendar month then they open themselves up to all kinds of problems. I thought they just did it by week, but who knows.

They're not doing it by calendar month. I just used an example where the subscription was bought on the 1st of the month to keep it simple.

Now, if you DO cancel your subscription at, say, 28 days instead of 30 days, yes, you can squeeze more packs out of the 'year' bu tyou are also being charged more subscription fees, so it balances out. Instead of being charged every 30 days (12 times per year) you are charged every 28 days (13 times per year).

So if you manage to squeeze 4 extra packs out of the year for your extra month subscription...grats, I guess, but you're not getting anything for free.

You would be getting 11 free packs because you're getting 2 packs in the same day 1/4 of the time. You would get your 5th pack of the first month on Day 29, then cancel your subscription and resubscribe and get your first pack of the next month also on Day 29. You're right in that it would cause you to pay an extra subscription once every 1-2 years depending on how careful you were with the exact timing.

Still, I would view this as exploiting a loophole in HEX's generosity of setting the subscription length to 31 days instead of 28 days in order to give VIP subscribers extra free packs occasionally. I hope there is some mechanism in place to automatically prevent people from exploiting this. If not, they have said that people using different accounts to exploit the VIP program by having multiple subscriptions would be banned, I would hope that people found to be exploiting the VIP program in this way would also be banned.

mach
06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
If you cancel your subscription, the cancellation should be effective the date the subscriptions ends, not immediately. So if you cancel on Day 29, your subscription is still active until Day 35. If you resubscribe, your new subscription won't be active until Day 36.

Svenn
06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
1) You can't cancel and resubscribe immediately to exploit this. When you cancel the full 31 days still happens (I've already done this), and resubscribing would start at the end of the current VIP sub.

2) Canceling at 31 days and then immediately resubbing to get your next pack NOW might work and net you packs slightly faster, but you would actually be losing packs in the long run.

With the current setup you get 1 pack every 7 days, but a sub is 31 days. That means that first month is 4 packs with 3 days left over, second month is 4 packs with 6 days left over, third month is 5 packs with 2 days left over, etc. Every 2-3 months you end up with an extra free pack. If you canceled and resubbed every month you'd only ever get 4 packs for 31 days. Those 3 extra days would go to waste.

Vorpal
06-20-2014, 11:56 AM
There could quite easily be a mechanism in place. In fact, it would be the default setting.

Bob signs up for a subscription. He is charged $4 and given a 31 day subscription.

On day 29, Bob cancels his auto renewal.

He still has a subscription through day 31, it just won't auto renew on day 32 and charge him again.

If cancelling your 'subscription' is really just halting auto renewal, then there's really no way to abuse it.

I'm not sure why you would do it any other way. If I tell them to cancel my auto renewal in the middle of the month that I've paid for, I expect to keep getting the benefits for the rest of the month. I'm not really cancelling my VIP access - I'm cancelling the auto renewal of my VIP access.

Is there really a way to say 'remove the VIP flag from my account'?

noragar
06-20-2014, 12:25 PM
2) Canceling at 31 days and then immediately resubbing to get your next pack NOW might work and net you packs slightly faster, but you would actually be losing packs in the long run.

With the current setup you get 1 pack every 7 days, but a sub is 31 days. That means that first month is 4 packs with 3 days left over, second month is 4 packs with 6 days left over, third month is 5 packs with 2 days left over, etc. Every 2-3 months you end up with an extra free pack. If you canceled and resubbed every month you'd only ever get 4 packs for 31 days. Those 3 extra days would go to waste.

You get your pack on the first day of the week, not on the last day. That means that the first month is 5 packs and you don't get the first pack in the second month until the 5th day of the subscription. Every 2-3 months you end up with an extra pack, but it's the first month that has the extra pack, not the 2nd/3rd month. That's what makes subscription juggling exploitable.

Anyway, OP's question was whether it was OK to cancel VIP, then resubscribe again later, or if he would be banned for doing so. I cautioned that it wouldn't be a good idea to resubscribe immediately because that could (and in my opinion should) be viewed as gaming the system. As long as sufficient time passes between subscriptions, then I don't think there would be an issue.

Vorpal
06-20-2014, 12:29 PM
You're not cancelling your VIP subscription, you are cancelling the auto renewal of your VIP subscription.

noragar
06-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Understood. By saying you could get two packs on the same day, I was just trying to make it more clear that you were actually getting two packs in the same time period since you didn't seem to be understanding.

Instead of in the same day, it's in the same week. Anything that allows you to get more than one pack in a 7 day period (or 168 hours, or 10,080 minutes) is faster than would happen by keeping your subscription running continuously and shouldn't be allowed.

Lonestar1771
06-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the answers everybody. :)

Yubar
06-20-2014, 03:07 PM
When do you guys think VIP will roll over to set 2

cavench
06-20-2014, 03:32 PM
When do you guys think VIP will roll over to set 2

My guess would be the same week set 2 releases.