PDA

View Full Version : Stack Resolution Question

darkwonders
06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Is the ability to play another card during a stack resolution intended?

I don't really see a benefit right now to wait until the middle of a stack resolution to play another card, but I always thought that once resolution occurs, all cards must resolve before you can start a new chain.

DionyzRex
06-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes, it is intended. :)

ossuary
06-21-2014, 07:34 PM
You can always continue to stack additional abilities onto the chain at any point during resolution to add new effects to the chain, unless there's a specific ability that disables this function. There are lots of reasons to do it, usually involving competing attempts to kill/save a card.

darkwonders
06-21-2014, 07:54 PM
You can always continue to stack additional abilities onto the chain at any point during resolution to add new effects to the chain, unless there's a specific ability that disables this function. There are lots of reasons to do it, usually involving competing attempts to kill/save a card.

But as far as I can tell, that can all happen during the initial stack as well. Why wait until the resolution happens before using another card?

ossuary
06-21-2014, 08:37 PM
But as far as I can tell, that can all happen during the initial stack as well. Why wait until the resolution happens before using another card?

Usually, to try to trick your opponent into committing more resources (thinking he can kill your troop when you actually have another save card in your hand, for example, or getting him to turn his focus to another card when you appear to signal that you're allowing the first to die).

It can also be used to trigger a new set of events that can only be accomplished when part of the initial chain has been resolved, but would no longer be possible once it fully resolves. For example, if an opponent has to use two damage spells to kill one of your troops, you can allow the first to resolve, then interrupt the 2nd on the chain to revert your troop (restoring it to full health), so that the 2nd damage spell will no longer be sufficient to kill it. This kind of thing tends to come up when someone is using a Chimes of the Zodiac to double up spells, since they have no choice but to put both copies on the chain at the same time, giving you more freedom to decide exactly where in the chain to insert your answer.

darkwonders
06-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Neat. I learned something today :)