PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Mindset

Micromancer
06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Anyone had enough experience with the full card pool and various deck interactions to confidently suggest the best stand-alone cards and key card/deck combinations? Any chase cards in boosters to look out for? I'm specifically looking for opinions from people with a competitive mindset, preferably competitive experience from 1 or more other TCGs.

Atomic
06-27-2014, 05:27 PM
I would say the most important card to have in almost ANY deck is Unempty Coffin.

Woadic Chief is possibly the single most powerful creature when played correctly in a spell-heavy Blue Plains deck... I've seen multiple situations where he can deal 14+ damage in a single turn.

Immortal Maize Walker is also incredibly hard-hitting and has good health.

One of the most powerful (and imo, broken) cards in the game is Sandwitch. I built a deck with 3 of her, some Ancient Scholars, and a ton of zero-cost creatures... That deck is nearly unbeatable.

Atomic
06-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Here's one of my competitive decks that I posted on BGG

Creatures
Lost Golem x3
Shark x2
Wall of Sand x2
Sand Knights x3
Sandwitch x3
Fummy x3
Sandsnake x3
Psionic Architect x3
Ancient Scholar x3
The Pig x2
Ms. Mummy x3
Nice Ice Baby x3
Sand Angel x3

Spells
Unempty Coffin x3
Teleport x3

Buildings
Schoolhouse x1
Blood Fortress x2
Celestial Castle x2

This deck runs 3 Sandyland landscapes and 1 Blue Plains landscape. Slightly high card count (48) but the strength in this deck is the ability to smother your opponent in card/creature advantage by using cards that increase your actions (3 Fummys , 3 Ancient Scholars) or lower action cost (3 Unempty Coffin, Lost Golem effect coupled with zero cost creatures). Shark and Wall of Sand are excellent tanks that can deal damage. Sandwitch is a tank with an AWESOME effect. If you can get two of her on the field at the same time, you will quickly deal damage directly to your opponent. Sand Knights are a 3/8 creature that costs only one action. No spells other than Unempty Coffin and Teleport... though I am considering adding some Spell Warps.

Overall, this deck is the second strongest that I’ve built. Because of the ability to gain actions, it’s fairly easy to keep yourself defended and put pressure on your opponent to match your creature output. I’ve only encountered one deck that performs well against it, and it’s another one that I built. Might post some of my other constructed decks later on.

Micromancer
06-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Cheers for the replies guys, I suppose my next question is where can I buy singles for this game?

Atomic
06-27-2014, 10:59 PM
EBay is the only place I've seen singles. Some (like Sun King, for some reason) are horribly overpriced, but most can be found at a reasonable price.

Micromancer
06-28-2014, 02:30 AM
I don't see how you could possibly justify more than the minimum deck size (40) in this game though. Epsecially when you immediately listed cards you consider important.

What's the other deck?

UncleBob
06-28-2014, 08:33 AM
I've got three decks, one that's a Tri-Color Blue Plains/Spell focused, one that's a four-color, Sandwitch-focused and one that's a Corn-focused deck (although I haven't got to test it much).

I'd love to try and get some games via Skype in. I only have one guy local to play against and he's convinced that his Corn-only deck is the way to go, in spite of the fact that it hasn't won a single game since I picked up my second set of Collector's sets and added those cards into my decks. ;)

Jake_the_Dog
07-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Hey guys, this is exactly the kind of situation I want to help with by building a wiki for the real life version of the game. I would like to know if anyone is interested in helping me out to create it. I've already scanned all of the cards and landscapes that exist so far so all I need is people to help me build it.

Here's a link to a thread I created which contains links to my wiki.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36831&p=388003#post388003

I hope you guys like the idea!