PDA

View Full Version : Socketable cards and deckbuilding improvement

Userrr_Friendly
06-29-2014, 02:39 AM
I know you guys are juggling with too many balls right now but it would be very helpful if during deck building (especially in draft) when you the press the button to save your deck a warning message would appear if you have troops with empty sockets. It is very easy for someone to forget about the sockets and that could cost games and fun.

Diesbudt
06-29-2014, 05:01 AM
On the bottom right if you click deck validation, it will tell you if there is unsocketed sockets.

Eierdotter
06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
better it tells you your deck is invalid because of unsocketed cards, like it shows when you have no champion

Bells
07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Gems are optional, not mandatory. If you don't want to socket anything, you don't have to.

Xenavire
07-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Gems are optional, not mandatory. If you don't want to socket anything, you don't have to.

A pop-up to say 'Are you sure?' wouldn't be bad though. It would help new or forgetful players.

Kilo24
07-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Considering that there is no benefit whatsoever to having a card with an empty socket, I personally think that there should just be a deck validation error thrown. That would mean that they don't have to code the "Are you sure" confirmation dialog and can just throw the logic for socket checking in at the same time as deck size, champion choice and card copy amount.

If you really want to play with a vanilla card for whatever reason, then just pick a gem that your deck won't have the threshold for. Barring the contrived situation of wanting an unassigned socket in a deck that steals your cards *and* has the threshold of the unwanted gem, there's really no reason to have one.

Xenavire
07-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Considering that there is no benefit whatsoever to having a card with an empty socket, I personally think that there should just be a deck validation error thrown. That would mean that they don't have to code the "Are you sure" confirmation dialog and can just throw the logic for socket checking in at the same time as deck size, champion choice and card copy amount.

If you really want to play with a vanilla card for whatever reason, then just pick a gem that your deck won't have the threshold for. Barring the contrived situation of wanting an unassigned socket in a deck that steals your cards *and* has the threshold of the unwanted gem, there's really no reason to have one.

But there is a benefit if you drafted 2 shards (or even only 1 shard) and ended up with more socketable troops than available gems. It means you can actually run that troop rather than giving you an invalid deck.

Scammanator
07-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Considering that there is no benefit whatsoever to having a card with an empty socket, I personally think that there should just be a deck validation error thrown.

There is no benefit, yet. There is plenty of design space for taking advantage of unsocketed cards. I'd like them to keep that space open.

cavench
07-01-2014, 10:28 AM
me: *plays unsocketed troop*
opponent: lol you noob
me: nah I purposely didn't socket them
opponent: huh, why?
me: it's only fair to whoever is playing against me. :cool:

Kilo24
07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
But there is a benefit if you drafted 2 shards (or even only 1 shard) and ended up with more socketable troops than available gems. It means you can actually run that troop rather than giving you an invalid deck.
...Unless you somehow got more than 40 troops with minor sockets in your draft (with the number modified appropriately based on Set 2 gems as well as how many multi-socketed Set 2 cards there are), I fail to see how you would get more troops than the 4x of each shard's two minor gems that you had. I don't get your point: is there something I'm missing here?

There is no benefit, yet. There is plenty of design space for taking advantage of unsocketed cards. I'd like them to keep that space open.
It's a fair point. It's not one that I'm personally worried about, however, because I think there is already ample design space available in the basic game, that it's unlikely to affect more than a few cards, and that right now leaving that design space open only gives players the opportunity to inadvertently make decisions that are almost certain to result in a strictly worse deck.

Moreover, your issue could largely be solved by a new keyword that (in addition to providing buffs to cards with empty sockets) permitted empty sockets in cards with that keyword. The only option that that would cut off is some card that provided bonuses to other cards with empty sockets.

Xenavire
07-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Per shard you can only have 8 gems - if you socket useless gems in, they are as useless as socketing nothing anyway, so going outside your shards is pointless unless you plan to run the resources for them all (which would in all likelyhood be a bad idea unless you planned that from the start.)

But lets say you are mono wild, with 4x nelebrin skirmisher and 5x boulder brute. 1 is going to have to be unsocketed (or socketed off-shard). Which is worth doing? I would just as soon have an empty troop than an off-shard gem.

Kilo24
07-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Per shard you can only have 8 gems - if you socket useless gems in, they are as useless as socketing nothing anyway, so going outside your shards is pointless unless you plan to run the resources for them all (which would in all likelyhood be a bad idea unless you planned that from the start.)

But lets say you are mono wild, with 4x nelebrin skirmisher and 5x boulder brute. 1 is going to have to be unsocketed (or socketed off-shard). Which is worth doing? I would just as soon have an empty troop than an off-shard gem.
Ah, okay - so your comment is not that it is impossible to make a deck with the a certain amount of socketable troops, it's that you can't avoid picking an off-shard gem to do so.

Mechanically they're the same thing (assuming no card-stealing is going on - remember that replicas lose gems). Losing that minor option and forcing the player to pick largely irrelevant gems is in my mind less important than negating the possibility of bringing in unsocketed troops by accident. A warning of "Do you want to save the deck with unsocketed cards?" at the end would solve both issues perfectly well, but I presume requires a little more development effort than just tossing it into basic deck validation.

But I don't think that any of the issues raised in this thread are significantly important (mine included).