PDA

View Full Version : Reinterpreting Flash and Red Tornado.

SushiSquid
06-30-2014, 10:13 PM
The Flash has one power, and it's weaker than one of Cyborg's two powers (there are fewer draw cards than equipment, and they're more sought-after). Red Tornado's bonus is weaker than Green Lantern and active less frequently. But most rule-changes are annoying to remember, so how about just "reinterpreting" what their cards say? My fiancee and I have been playing with the following rules with our friends and family, and have found these two to be much better:

The Flash: The first time a card tells you to draw a card each turn, you draw another card? Yup. So we interpret that to mean the first time a card of each name tells you to draw, you draw another. We do include locations in this. My deck is 150 cards with the 5 HU locations + Titans Tower, so they're sought-after enough that Flash may never even get one. Surprisingly, as much as this sounds too powerful, in practice it hasn't been. Instead, Flash is just competitive now.

Red Tornado: As much as we know that "card type" means card type, for the one case of Red Tornado, we interpret it to mean "cards of a different name." I'm sorry, but he's just too much of a crap without this. Even with it, Green Lantern is still better, but at least now drawing Red Tornado isn't something to groan about.

I still don't know what to do about Batgirl. I know she could use some help too, but again, I'd rather reinterpret the card text than actually add rules to remember, and I don't see much room to do that with her card text.

These changes have served us well, so I thought I'd share them.

StormKing
07-01-2014, 12:37 AM
With Batgirl, I'd recommend using her power on turns 1 and 2 unless you have 5 power in your hand and a good 5 cost in the Line-Up to buy. Turn 2 shuffle is invaluable.

boba_fouts
07-03-2014, 05:40 AM
With Batgirl, I'd recommend using her power on turns 1 and 2 unless you have 5 power in your hand and a good 5 cost in the Line-Up to buy. Turn 2 shuffle is invaluable.

QFT...our group soon learned we underestimated how good Batgirl was and overestimated on Starfire.

StormKing
07-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Starfire can still luck into an early win if there are no Super Powers in the Line-Up on her first turn, but Batgirl is definitely more consistent.

ContraryEmu
07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I think you are giving alot more power to the flash then he really needs. Card draw is so good in this game that allowing someone to draw more cards then they actually should can be back breaking. On that note I do not know if your deck has all of the draw cards or not so your way might be much more balanced

kainbloodheart
08-04-2014, 01:35 AM
I think you are giving alot more power to the flash then he really needs. Card draw is so good in this game that allowing someone to draw more cards then they actually should can be back breaking. On that note I do not know if your deck has all of the draw cards or not so your way might be much more balanced

I agree in the games I play most of the other players dread the flash's go due to how many cards he's probably going to end up playing. That extra one card in a go can make a world of difference as it is.

Also Red tornado's power is fine how it is, infact most people who I play it with are happy to get him. All you do is make sure you play him to get the +2 power before you start removing things from your graveyard with card effects.

SushiSquid
08-07-2014, 02:00 PM
I agree in the games I play most of the other players dread the flash's go due to how many cards he's probably going to end up playing. That extra one card in a go can make a world of difference as it is.

Also Red tornado's power is fine how it is, infact most people who I play it with are happy to get him. All you do is make sure you play him to get the +2 power before you start removing things from your graveyard with card effects.

As I explained in the first post, Flash is weaker than half of Cyborg's power. That's just silly and needs to be fixed. I've never seen anyone on this site or in-person say they like getting the Flash on random draw. Our modification might go too far, but something really needs to be done to improve the super hero.

Red tornado isn't actually bad, but he's still inferior to another superhero, which means that needs to be fixed. 2/3 the bonus of Green Lantern and it isn't active as reliably. As with Flash, I've never heard of anyone being happy to get Red Tornado either. I really have no idea where you're getting that from.

The whole point is this: certain hero cards are clearly better than others. You draw Aquaman or Wonder Woman and you're more likely to win than someone playing Batgirl or the Flash. The goal is to just bump things a bit so they're fairer.

szuturon
08-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Flash: Like any other hero, can be stopped from getting too strong by preventing him from acquiring too many locations. Or just flood him with weaknesses if you can. You're also focusing too much on just half of his power. The other half being he always goes first. Going first allows you potentially an extra turn over your rivals if you personally end the game.

Red Tornado: He's not ridiculously strong like Green Lantern... but he's not weak either. His power requires him to play every card type. A lot easier to do than relying on 1 card type. Ever get into a game as Nightwing only to find nobody's leaving equipment in the lineup for ya? Or simply buying a Kick to prevent potential equipment from flopping into the lineup?

As far as I'm concerned the only heroes that really need to be changed are Cyborg and Robin. Cyborg too strong, and Robin's too weak.

It's like the folks at Cryptozoic said "well Robin needs to be weaker than Batman and Nightwing..." and then took it way too far. He's forced to play like Batman/Nightwing while having to play like Flash at the same time. If he were allowed to draw a card AND fish an equipment out of his discard, I'd say he's playable. But having to sacrifice your draw to get the equipment is harsh. Like... Batmobile... Robin discards his hand and has to choose between 5 new cards off the top of his deck or 1 equipment out of his discard. You'd think the Batmobile would be slightly more useful to a hero like Robin. Lex Luthor... draw 3 cards? or fish out 1 equipment? Pathetic.

Cyborg... what's there to say about Cyborg? Benefit from two card types rather than just 1. It might not be so overwhelming if he were to gain +1 from Hero types rather than Super Power types. There being 16 kicks in available means he NEVER misses on turns 1 and 2 in terms of cards he needs for his power.

LRoq617
08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
I haven't received Crisis yet, but what exactly is Robin's ability? Judging by what I read above, I'm assuming it's something like "Whenever a card would allow you to draw cards, you may negate the draw(s) to put an Equipment from your discard pile into your hand"?

LRoq617
08-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Also, for my .02, while I agree Flash is still fairly bad without a Location in his play area, Red Tornado is actually really solid, albeit being fairly difficult to play. Similarly to Batgirl, actually. Playing either character involves doing quite a bit of math before proceeding with your turn. I personally think they both get overlooked due to the fact that other characters are very good AND much easier to play in an autopilot sort of way, i.e. Black Canary, Nightwing, Hawkman. Batgirl and Red Tornado seem to be pretty undervalued due to not really having much of a comfort zone, as it were, but it turns out they're two of the most versatile characters in the game. I recommend giving them another try.

After all, anything's better than getting Booster Gold.

aoineko
08-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Like... Batmobile... Robin discards his hand and has to choose between 5 new cards off the top of his deck or 1 equipment out of his discard. You'd think the Batmobile would be slightly more useful to a hero like Robin. Lex Luthor... draw 3 cards? or fish out 1 equipment? Pathetic.

That's not how Robin works. If you draw multiple cards you only have to skip one of those cards to return an Equipment. This is specifically mentioned in the individual card FAQ section of the rulebook. Batmobile is actually an amazing card for Robin, especially since he can get an Equipment back he may have discarded from the Batmobile and draw 4 more cards.