PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary For Hire!

Shaqattaq
07-04-2014, 11:15 AM
By Kevin Jordan

Hello! My name is Kevin Jordan and Im the Lead Systems Designer for HEX. Today I wanted to share a bit of the specific design process we went through with Mercenaries and the end result for how Mercenaries will fit into the PvE experience.

https://hextcg.com/mercenary-for-hire/

Kami
07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
I've missed these design process updates. =^_^=

Shadowspawn
07-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Quite a radical change. Honestly, feels like a lazy one. In the absence of knowing what champion leveling looks like at least... is it more complex than previously anticipated? or is PVE just being watered down?

Yoss
07-04-2014, 01:55 PM
You “Hire” a mercenary, making it non-tradeable and permanently attaching it to your account.
WAIT WHAT?!!? I thought they were fully tradeable!

The rest is very cool.

arastor
07-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Bebo's passive + Sapper Charge = Awesome. I approve.

Incidentally, anyone have thoughts on what Brosi Buk smokes?

mach
07-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Mercs can't be used to bosses? Won't that make them rather useless? If something can't be used on the hard parts of dungeons, I don't see them as desirable at all. Most people probably won't bother with them.

Unless the trash mobs are stronger than the bosses, though that would be weird.

iscariotrex
07-04-2014, 02:44 PM
@Mach, He seems to imply that pve decks won't have sideboards and calling a merc can be the way of boarding out for a given fight. It does seem wierd, but not useless. I am wondering if leveling is going by the wayside though, something Cory said in a blog seemed to imply that we wouldn't level champions, that they would unlock more powerful moves over the course of a fight. Personally, I kinda want to grind xp a little... it's what you do in an mmo and I bought an in-game perk for that.

I did think that grinding xp for bunches of mercs was going to get tiring though.

If we can only call a merc in once per dungeon and we don't spend time leveling them, it does make them a little bit of a niche experience. Maybe they can be used in wild west tourneys and keep defense. We haven't seen all of the redesigns yet, but before they seemed really powerful but uber specific... this just seems specific. Hopefully we grind xp with our heroes and they become a lot more powerful.

Idus
07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I've missed these design process updates. =^_^=

I agree regardless of whether we love or hate the news, keep it coming, we need some bones to keep us going until actual PvE comes out.

Edswor
07-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Seems pretty interesting, now it only take to us to test it ;) ;)

Rokz
07-04-2014, 04:16 PM

The rest is very cool.

You can't be serious... Did you read point 1 at all? :P

Cant really see any flaws, it's not a bad idea and shows Pve is progressing well. So people have three Mercs to earn for Gencon 14 so far...

Rapierian
07-04-2014, 05:06 PM
I guess I'm a little disappointed that I can't "main" various mercenaries. I was always hoping to build some wild and crazy mercenary decks and really throw them up against various challenges - not just sub them in to occasional non-boss fights.

Without really knowing how leveling was going to originally work, I don't know how the change in Mercs like Bebo really affects things.

We will be able to duel each other with fully leveled heroes and mercs, right? And not just in Wild West tournaments?

Xavon
07-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Not sure what exactly BEBO's original power did, but the new passive power seems pretty weak. It only brings the card back and gives it a permanent cost bump? meh.

The loss of leveling doesn't matter to me much.

I'd like to know what this does to the powers of all the other mercs we are aware of.

QuantumZeruul
07-04-2014, 05:27 PM

The rest is very cool.

Basically it sounds as if Mercs are going to be soulbound. You get a token for the merc in one of various ways, and once you use it then that instance of that token becomes locked to your account. If you end up not using the token, you can sell or trade it, that kind of thing.

Vorsa
07-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Bebo should be fun with Charge Bot & Sapper's Charge, though perhaps he could end up at his strongest with Goblin Cooking Pot in a blood deck that attacks the opponent's hand!
I don't think he'll be many peoples favourite, but he could be a handy dial-a-merc if you come up against an encounter deck which artifact troops are the key counter for - likely he'll live in Ebonrock's shadow, though.

Ashahsa is crying out for Air Superiority and the Ancestor's Chosen, but she'll surely be shaped by whatever the Windbourne Acolyte equipment is - don't think any other champ/merc seen so far has the ability to conjure troops with equipment.
Should always have a dial-a-merc niche for flying encounter decks, since she's fast and her decks would be easy (and cheap) to assemble.

Broski Buk does seem fairly preposterous - guessing mercs like him are why they cannot be used in boss fights!
Cramming a deck with every conceivable card-drawing card shouldn't be too hard - once PvE ones are available - along with a horde of different cheap troops to chump block while working through them.
He won't actually be the fastest route to victory (won't be any turn 3 wins with him), but he has surely got to be a merc everyone will want to call upon when facing an encounter deck that is proving too hard to beat conventionally.

- - - - - - - - - -

Baselessly guessing at the other known mercs...

Glorfenblort
[3 Charges] Release a Gargantufart. (Troops get -1/-1 this turn.)
[Passive] Your ruby actions deal double damage on turns you Gargantufarted.

Cardboard Tube Samurai
[1 Charge] Deal 1 damage to target champion.
[Passive] You have no maximum hand size. At the start of your first turn, draw a card and gain {sapphire}.

Aethynia
[2 Charges] Gain 2 health. Create a Guardian of Aethynia and shuffle it into your deck.
[Passive] Angel troops you control get +2/+2.

Zoltog
[3 Charges] Target Orc troop you control gains permanent Rage 2.
[Passive] At the start of your first turn, shuffle 4 copies of Zoltog's Command in to your deck (0 cost, pay X health to return target Orc troop with cost X from your graveyard to play).

Burgamot Ebonrock
[4 Charges] For every 2 Artifacts you control, create a Worker Bot and put it into play (minimum 1 Worker Bot).
[Passive] Troops in all your zones are Artifact troops.

Mooof
[5 Charges] Create a random member of the Mustachioed Gang and put them into play under your control.
[Passive] At the start of your turn, create a Shroomkin and put it into play (1/1 troop that cannot attack or defend).

jasta85
07-04-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm fine with the change, while I liked the original merc skills this makes sense, as I didn't want to have to grind all my mercs to max level.

I've got like 4 Ashasha's in my inventory right now from chests, I hope those are just placeholders for when mercs get fully implemented.

Xetherion
07-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I really dislike these changes, because as far as I can tell we are not going to have any way create alts/other champions to use besides the one we choose at the start. I figured mercs were going to take the place of alts, but if they have no progression then they do not fill that role at all. This also cheapens the Guild Leader Kickstarter reward, which is NOT cool.

I also hate only being able to use them for one encounter per dungeon, and not even the boss encounter at that. This really makes them pointless to me, because if I can't beat a regular encounter without their help I should have no chance against the dungeon boss, so I really shouldn't even be attempting that dungeon in the first place.

The big draw of this game was supposed to be that it was going to be the first MMOTCG. Progression is a huge part of MMO gameplay. It sounds like the MMO aspect of the game is being gutted, leaving us with a game that is NOT what we backed on Kickstarter.

Shadowspawn
07-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I really dislike these changes, because as far as I can tell we are not going to have any way create alts/other champions to use besides the one we choose at the start. I figured mercs were going to take the place of alts, but if they have no progression then they do not fill that role at all. This also cheapens the Guild Leader Kickstarter reward, which is NOT cool.

I also hate only being able to use them for one encounter per dungeon, and not even the boss encounter at that. This really makes them pointless to me, because if I can't beat a regular encounter without their help I should have no chance against the dungeon boss, so I really shouldn't even be attempting that dungeon in the first place.

The big draw of this game was supposed to be that it was going to be the first MMOTCG. Progression is a huge part of MMO gameplay. It sounds like the MMO aspect of the game is being gutted, leaving us with a game that is NOT what we backed on Kickstarter.

Yep. That's what I was trying to get across in post two. Can't be said enough. Pve dilution going to stop here or carry on?

Shaqattaq
07-04-2014, 06:43 PM
With all the other classes, there will be plenty of time to be spent on alts.

Xetherion
07-04-2014, 06:53 PM

So we are going to be able to create other champions with other classes, to use on a single account? I had never seen anything before your post indicating that we would be able to do this.

Voormas
07-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Will the Guild Leader kickstarter perk apply it's bonus to the Might system for champions I wonder? I can't think of anything else it will do other than card XP to unlock foils

Sachan
07-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I too am disappointed to see that they don't level - slightly less bothered about them not being tradable - although that would have been nice as well. I liked the fact that previously you could use them for a very specific deck type and run with it rather than use as a one-off. I understand the changes but didn't see them (mercs) as interfering with champions in the way they worked. Also, it would be nice to have some customisable features - not levelling but options / perks if you succeeded in certain 'quests' or 'tasks' - after all mercs are not dissimilar to adventurers.

Idus
07-05-2014, 02:18 PM

I'm sorry Shaqattaq, but comments like this, without clear explanation, only create more FUD. What we know of the Might system says there is no levelling. The Account based levelling does not imply class progression, just additional perks to add to I assume any champion you are using. I suppose that maybe you have to spend XP to add a perk to each champion? That'd be the only way I can see that being levelling of separate champs?

Definition of Teaser from oxfordictionary.com

A person who makes fun of or provokes others in a playful or unkind way.

Aradon
07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
This 'no leveling for the account' information is completely fabricated. From Cory Jones' blog: http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/76449580127/blog-post-number-2

"With that in mind we have two systems. One leveling system is meta-based and affects your entire account. This system will supply perks to your account that you can pick and choose and use with each champion. Stuff like additional gold drops in dungeons, no limit to hand size, or an extra beginning game re-draw. [...]

The second leveling system is dungeon-by-dungeon. As your champion traverses a dungeon, we track their MIGHT. The deeper you go in the dungeon, the more MIGHT your champion generates. As you generate MIGHT, you spend it to add effects to your champion."

TWO level systems: Might is your in-dungeon progression, while you have an account that levels independently that offers other abilities. From the sounds of it, you'll get trees of perks you can choose on a champion-by-champion basis, while you level the whole account simultaneously.

Shaqattaq
07-05-2014, 09:33 PM
That was not a teaser. It was a literal answer.

Part of the fun is deck building and discovering synergies, combos. You will have plenty of opportunity to spend time studying your collection, building decks for various classes that you may not consider your "main," and tuning those decks against dungeons that you're clearing. Deckbuilding and fine tuning your builds means that you're never done with the game.

Shadowspawn
07-06-2014, 05:24 AM
I still think your answer is more fuzzy than clear Shaq. Along with Cory:s post it feels like leveling is incredibly watered down and champions are affected generically by leveling not specifically. By this I mean the account level gold, deck size perks Cory mentions have nothing to do with how a fighter or a priest might "progress" in a normal mmo. Also, the change appears to have a big impact on the importance (or non importance) of the guildmaster perk. Without additional details everything just feels watered down.

Aradon
07-06-2014, 08:26 AM
About a month ago, an interview was posted where Cory talked about one of the perk tiers being selecting a unique car you can put in your deck. These cards were class specific, so warriors got their own cards, rangers got theirs, etc. I think we can expect unique leveling choices by class beyond the might system.

kawakimi
07-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I for one enjoy these changes. I think getting rid of progression that only exists for progression's sake is a good step in the right direction. Progression should feel meaningful instead of just tacked on.

The only suggestion I would make would be to add names to mercenary and champion charge powers and passives in general. I feel it would add flavour to the cards and give insight into their nature and backstory.

Sullemunk
07-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't like the removal of leveling mercenaries. It feels like starting an mmo with the chars already at max level w/o the journey to get there. The feel of accomplishment, progress and reward for "leveling" them up and get the perks they provide seems a bit deminished, especially if you run a dungeon multiple times with the same mercenary.

bojanglesz
07-06-2014, 12:38 PM
It is a teaser because we know jack shit about PVE. We just scraps and pieces across the year.

Werlix
07-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Wow such whine. Much hate. Seems like people are passing judgements when we don't even have full information yet. All this "OMG champions don't level now!! (when all current information would point towards champion progression)". We backed a MMO TCG, it's still an MMO TCG, don't get your knickers in a twist.

I feel like I should apologise for what seems like the most vocal part of this community. From working in a gaming company I know what it feels like to have a subset of your players misinterpret information, overreact massively and be generally negative about anything they can think of. It's a shame...

Keep up the good work Kevin, Shaq and the team :)

Sachan
07-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Werlix, I am keen to see how pve comes out as it clearly has a huge scope and I echo your final line. I am keen at some stage to purchase stuff and maybe play in a tournament (probably swiss) but I prefer to play pve before I do this as it makes it easier to comprehend the myriad of choices one is faced with. It also (through bosses) makes it easier to meet people. I was not trying to be negative - I was expressing my point of view - apologies if it sounded negative. Patience these days is a rare commodity like <<insert suitable card example here>>. I continue to believe it will be worth the wait although I am itching to get into dungeons. Keep up the good work Hex :)

keldrin
07-06-2014, 09:02 PM
1) I backed raid leader to you know, do raids. So.... how useful will mercs be for raids? Not at all?
2) doesn't removing leveling and experience make the people who back guild leader have a semi useless tier ability?

Crazy_Klino
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
While I understand what the article writer is saying, I'm unhappy with possibly losing some of the cool powers which attracted me to the Mercenaries originally.

It's also troubling that Mercenaries were going to be untradeable, then we were told they would be tradeable and that Gen Con Mercenaries could be made available to online players during Gen Con, who couldn't go to Gen Con this year, and now it sounds like the Gen Con 2014 Mercenary won't be available to online players as previously stated, with it being only a month away, and too late to make any good plans with attending for those who weren't planning on going previous to now.

Is there a tutorial up on how Wheels of Fate works (such as how to obtain Ashasha)?

Werlix
07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Assumption #1

1) I backed raid leader to you know, do raids. So.... how useful will mercs be for raids? Not at all?

What makes you think they'd be useless? Why do you think HexEnt would intentionally design mercs to be useless for raids?

Assumption #2

2) doesn't removing leveling and experience make the people who back guild leader have a semi useless tier ability?

Removing leveling and experience? When did this happen?

Werlix
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM
the Gen Con 2014 Mercenary won't be available to online players as previously stated
Really? Did someone announce this somewhere that I missed?

Is there a tutorial up on how Wheels of Fate works (such as how to obtain Ashasha)?

There's no method to it. You just spin till you get it. The only strategy really is to always spin common chests as it's the cheapest way to get the spin rewards.

keldrin
07-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Assumption #1

What makes you think they'd be useless? Why do you think HexEnt would intentionally design mercs to be useless for raids?

Assumption #2

Removing leveling and experience? When did this happen?
Assumption #1
I was asking, since it wasn't addressed. If they won't be useable for boss fights in dungeons, since it wasn't directly mentioned, raids could be considered along the same lines. I'm hoping not.

Assumption #2
I was addressing the fact there is no longer leveling of mercenaries. The leveling of mercenaries was at least half of what I was expecting to have to level in game. That half is now gone. That's not a assumption. That was pretty much what was said in the update. And, that, to me, impacts the value of guild master tier.

Yoss
07-06-2014, 11:41 PM
You can't be serious... Did you read point 1 at all? :P
If you mean this:
"1. Mercenaries are acquired in various ways (Treasure Chests, Conventions, Kickstarter, PvE Rewards, Trade via Auction House, etc)."

Yes, I read "point 1" and I'm not seeing your point for referencing it in regards to whether mercs are tradeable or not. Mercs are not tradeable (only their tokens are), yet we were told (after KS) that they would be. What does "point 1" have to do with it?

Wow such whine. Much hate. Seems like people are passing judgements when we don't even have full information yet. All this "OMG champions don't level now!! (when all current information would point towards champion progression)". We backed a MMO TCG, it's still an MMO TCG, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Go back and read post 23 (it was up before your post I'm quoting here). It cites Cory directly on the subject, and is "current information" that points directly to "champions don't level now" in the way that most MMO players expect. There is only the MIGHT system, which is purely per dungeon. I personally am not crushed by this loss, but it is real and I can empathize with those who are upset about it. Especially since I've been fortunate enough to talk to Kevin in person to get a better explanation for things that we get through web articles and forum posts.

dwebber88
07-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Mercs can't be used to bosses? Won't that make them rather useless? If something can't be used on the hard parts of dungeons, I don't see them as desirable at all. Most people probably won't bother with them.

I agree.

LNQ
07-07-2014, 03:16 AM

It's a TCG, where each battle can be very different from one another. It's not like MMOs where you have your char with your gear who acts basically the same way from one battle to the next. Single mobs can very well be more difficult than a boss if your deck is geared a specific way.

Mercs as the sideboard allow you to create a deck that is strong against the boss but can't handle a specific difficult earlier encounter.

Also, I'm hoping for optional special mobs within dungeons, a la the Weapon bosses in Final Fantasy. These could allow for mercs to be used in tough battles too.

nicosharp
07-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Some things I like:
- Mercenaries now are bound to the account on use.
- Mercenaries do not have to be leveled to get all active skills - Removes the grind.

Some things I hate:
- Mercenaries lose progressive abilities/passives. At least 2 abilities seem to be lost now per Mercenary.
- Mercenaries do not have a large impact on PvE. 1 Instance per Dungeon, is a lot different than being able to play them throughout every quest/campaign.
- Watered down Meta game for PvE thematics. Yes, there are now less options to exploit certain instances and quests, but now there are less ways to innovate and branch out deck building for the game.

I guess we get what we get. I think there were more options to really fill out the game with unique mercenaries being fully playable champions with a leveling system. Removing the grind for them to fully function is cool, but I am going to miss some of those extended passives previously spoiled.

Yoss
07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Some things I like:
- Mercenaries now are bound to the account on use.

Why?

nicosharp
07-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Why?
This game is not about profiting for me Yoss. Some of the minor design gripes by players are really starting to look like greed fueled rants.

I don't need every single reward/item to be something I can sell or trade. We are quite lucky we can still trade mercs, its just that you need to make a decision now to sell a Merc, rather than link it to your account. In all, this should increase the overall value of non-bound Mercs.

Either way this makes sense. If you were leveling the Merc, the champion/Merc would be modified by the experience you gain playing them. You can't sell modified champions that you personally leveled on your account. That is unheard of in any MMO. Now, regardless of being able to level them, they probably don't want people saving decks with Mercenaries that have been sold.

Scammanator
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I just want to thank Kevin Jordan for writing this article. I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about the changes, but it was really great to get some solid info on PvE. I look forward to hearing more in the future.

Yoss
07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
This game is not about profiting for me Yoss. Some of the minor design gripes by players are really starting to look like greed fueled rants.
Asking them to bind puts people like you and me in position for MORE profit, not less. And yet, I'm the one asking to make tradeable. Making tradeable favors future players. It gives them access to these fun things in the game. Granted, it won't be free, but if tradeable it will be cheaper (and more available) than in the binding tokens case.

I don't need every single reward/item to be something I can sell or trade. We are quite lucky we can still trade mercs, its just that you need to make a decision now to sell a Merc, rather than link it to your account. In all, this should increase the overall value of non-bound Mercs.
Exactly. YOU don't need to trade them because you're in on the ground floor (same here). We get all the benefits, including the "increase [in] overall value of non-bound Mercs". Meanwhile, future players are left out. I know this is not your mentality or motive, but you need to realize what it will look like to the future players coming next year (or later).

nicosharp
07-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Asking them to bind puts people like you and me in position for MORE profit, not less. And yet, I'm the one asking to make tradeable. Making tradeable favors future players. It gives them access to these fun things in the game. Granted, it won't be free, but if tradeable it will be cheaper (and more available) than in the binding tokens case.

Exactly. YOU don't need to trade them because you're in on the ground floor (same here). We get all the benefits, including the "increase [in] overall value of non-bound Mercs". Meanwhile, future players are left out. I know this is not your mentality or motive, but you need to realize what it will look like to the future players coming next year (or later).
There are barriers for people regardless of when they enter the game. People now may not have all the KS rewards cause they didnt back at a certain level, etc. It doesn't matter how you restrict content, content is always restricted by demand. Its far better for Hex to just do re-releases. I know some people will be against this given the work, or promises of it being exclusive at one time, but there will still be work involved in obtaining re-releases. LOL did this for exclusive skins later, to mixed reaction, but it was good for the new playerbase, and in the end, that is all that matters. Making them binding, and then having very rare re-releases I prefer to making every single piece of the game tradeable.

I mean, they are Mercenaries. You bind them means you paid, and they fight for you. They literally live and die by their decision to work for you. Not everything can be a Bronn (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Bronn) situation where he leaves you as soon as the gold runs dry. But in a way, Mercenaries are the ones that make the decisions, not us. We can't decide to trade them after they are already working for us. That is their choice.

What could be cool, is they make Mercenaries bound to the account for a year(or any arbitrary increment of time), if you want to unbind them after a year there is a plat fee involved.

Werlix
07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
If you mean this:
"1. Mercenaries are acquired in various ways (Treasure Chests, Conventions, Kickstarter, PvE Rewards, Trade via Auction House, etc…)."

Yes, I read "point 1" and I'm not seeing your point for referencing it in regards to whether mercs are tradeable or not. Mercs are not tradeable (only their tokens are), yet we were told (after KS) that they would be. What does "point 1" have to do with it?

Go back and read post 23 (it was up before your post I'm quoting here). It cites Cory directly on the subject, and is "current information" that points directly to "champions don't level now" in the way that most MMO players expect. There is only the MIGHT system, which is purely per dungeon. I personally am not crushed by this loss, but it is real and I can empathize with those who are upset about it. Especially since I've been fortunate enough to talk to Kevin in person to get a better explanation for things that we get through web articles and forum posts.

"With that in mind we have two systems. One leveling system is meta-based and affects your entire account. This system will supply perks to your account that you can pick and choose and use with each champion"

Yeah I read that too. So you gain levels and apply perks to individual champions. Doesn't sound like they "removed leveling" to me :eek:

Sachan
07-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I think the reason people feel that levelling has been removed is that the meta-based levelling information is vague and sounds like it does one of 2 things either:
1. When you level up your account you choose a perk (from a selection) that then affects all your champions
OR
2. When you level up your account you choose a perk (from a selection) that you then choose to apply to one of your champions. From what Cory said:

The second leveling system is dungeon-by-dungeon. As your champion traverses a dungeon, we track their MIGHT. The deeper you go in the dungeon, the more MIGHT your champion generates. As you generate MIGHT, you spend it to add effects to your champion.

Might increases as you play a dungeon - conclusion being that you reset at the end! Unless I have misread this and it works differently the ability to level up multiple champions in different ways has been reduced (and some of the levelling will be temporary - the might system).
Explanation of above statement: If 1 is the case then you will have the same perks on all champions (limiting variety) whereas if 2. is the case you will be at a disadvantage if you apply your perks to different champions (having all on one is more likely to be effective than spreading them around your champions).
The exception to this would be if you travel through a dungeon not as a champion but as yourself and you can sub champs in and out for the different encounters or if you can move your account perks around. (I am not sure that moving your perks around is any different from 1 - although if constraints were used it could be).
Although what is described does have a form of levelling the overall impression given is that the champions don't really level up themselves (as they reset at end of dungeon and all levelling comes from the account - note details above).
I am not complaining about this - because of the fantastic pve equipment system and other exciting features that I cannot wait (patience sachan, patience) to try out but can see why some are disappointed.

The other difficulty is we are piecing this together from insufficient info - clearly all these decisions have been thought about - and thank you to the HEX team for giving us what info you can give - but, because we haven't got the whole picture, we are more worried about what is not there than what is.

Yoss
07-07-2014, 05:53 PM
What could be cool, is they make Mercenaries bound to the account for a year(or any arbitrary increment of time), if you want to unbind them after a year there is a plat fee involved.

I'd be down for "soft binding" of some sort. Fee should be in Gold, not Plat. Bind duration might not be needed if there's a fee, but I'd say no more than three months (1 month feels about right to me).

That's all just for exclusives. For non-exclusives (story-based), I'm totally fine with hard binding and even bind on acquire.

Cecil578
07-09-2014, 01:13 AM
I dislike that the Mercenaries abilities will in practice be halved, since they started with 4 abilities and now have 2. And alot of these abilities created a unique synergy that for me made the mercs attractive.

Other then that I have no objections to this change, as I've no real idea on how PvE leveling / playing works.

Scammanator
07-09-2014, 05:32 AM
I dislike that the Mercenaries abilities will in practice be halved, since they started with 4 abilities and now have 2. And alot of these abilities created a unique synergy that for me made the mercs attractive.

Other then that I have no objections to this change, as I've no real idea on how PvE leveling / playing works.

If it helps, look at BEBO. He had four abilities, and they kept all of his original functionality, and then gave him a new ability on top of that. We can't expect a full transfer for every mercenary, but think of it as the abilities becoming more concentrated rather than half of them being taken away.

Sachan
07-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks Scammantor - really good point - hadn't seen that!

Krakanous
07-09-2014, 07:38 AM
So far so ok...i'd still like to know more on how CHAMPIONS level up, more centrated abilities is fine, as long as they are not removed.

I still think they should be allowed to be used in boss fights...even if its only for like 10 mins or 8 turns or w/e. Timed Merc Decks for boss fights would be better than no boss fight mercs at all, just my two cents.

Scammanator
07-09-2014, 09:32 AM
So far so ok...i'd still like to know more on how CHAMPIONS level up, more centrated abilities is fine, as long as they are not removed.

I still think they should be allowed to be used in boss fights...even if its only for like 10 mins or 8 turns or w/e. Timed Merc Decks for boss fights would be better than no boss fight mercs at all, just my two cents.

I too would like more information on the leveling system. This article is a good sign that they're ready to start sharing their system with us. Let's hope for more articles on PvE in the next few months.

As for the boss battle thing? I get it thematically. Your Champion is supposed to be the hero. It doesn't make much sense for your champion to do all the work of clearing the dungeon, just to have some sell-sword step in and take all the glory. It also lets Mercenaries design be a bit stronger without risking "save your mercenary until the very end" becoming a dominating strategy. Mercenaries should be used to cover for your Champion's weakness, not take over for the most difficult battle.

At least you'll be able to have your Mercenaries fight the boss along with the rest of the dungeon on subsequent playthroughs. That should still be plenty of fun.

keldrin
07-09-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd be down for "soft binding" of some sort. Fee should be in Gold, not Plat. Bind duration might not be needed if there's a fee, but I'd say no more than three months (1 month feels about right to me).

That's all just for exclusives. For non-exclusives (story-based), I'm totally fine with hard binding and even bind on acquire.

I like the soft binding idea. Prevents a group of friends from just passing mercs back and forth for specific dungeons. And yeah, a month should be plenty of time for a soft bind I would think. They want to make it more difficult, the month soft bind, could be from when last used.
As for decks saved to merc, make the person delete the deck before trading/selling the merc. That might be annoying if you plan on getting another. But not a huge deal.
The removal of leveling of the mercs, to me, eliminates any reason, in my opinion, that merc trading shouldn't be allowed. (honestly, with leveling, it would be simple to make the mercs reset when sold or traded. That would have certainly made people think twice before trading off a leveled merc).

Yoss
07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
As for decks saved to merc, make the person delete the deck before trading/selling the merc. That might be annoying if you plan on getting another. But not a huge deal.

This is actually super easy. Just treat it the same way as when you trade away a card that was in a deck (it becomes invalid, but is still there in your list).