PDA

View Full Version : Why should I play Hex?

shiftychance
07-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Hello all!

So, I figure there is probably a lot of feedback in here relating to what's wrong with the game and/or how to make the game better, since we are in beta phase afterall. However, I am looking for another kind of feedback.

I challenge you to write a short description of why I should be interested in Hex, and what stands out about it, and what (to you) makes it worth playing/an enjoyable experience. I want to see what all the hype is about!

Responses are greatly appreciated, I obviously cannot play yet as I don't have a key, so I figured I can contribute a little discussion.

tl;dr tell a guy who has never played what you like about Hex/why he should even play Hex.

Perhaps you could say what your gaming background is first?

Gaming background:
Started playing Sonic the Hedgehog when I was 3 years old.
I've played about every game type under the sun, everything from Mario to Warcraft to The Sims (literally all kinds of games more than I could ever list).
As far as TCG's go:
My first tcg was Yu-gi-oh when I was around 10 years old maybe. I thoroughly enjoyed it and played in a few tournaments.
After I quit that I got into MTG many years later around 17, and enjoyed that even more.
I played it for about a year but it was costing me a bit too much money to be competitive, so I won my first FNM and then gave it a break.
I recently started playing MTG again casually and have been enjoying it as always.
I've played Shadow Era if anyone knows what that is.
I tried SolForge but didn't like it because the Pay to Win felt way too prominent there.
Lately I've also been playing Hearthstone since beta.

I think that about sums it up :)

Yoss
07-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Perhaps you could say what your gaming background is first?

shiftychance
07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Delivered!

Gwaer
07-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Instead of giving you what you asked for I will tell you my favorite thing about ex. It really boils down to the complexity of set one and how it is by far the most balanced set of any trading card game I have ever played in my entire life. I cannot believe how many viable decks there are, I cannot believe how deep the deck building can be. Most of all I can't get over how we have had basically this entire set for over a year and I'm still finding new decks to build that I enjoy that are powerful that are competitive. This was delivered by text to speech while driving with no proofreading whatsoever.

shiftychance
07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Lol drive safe Gwaer, don't wanna lose any beta testers ;)

Thanks for the response by the way, this is a good response and it's appreciated. That sounds like a huge selling point to me.

Werlix
07-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Hello all!

So, I figure there is probably a lot of feedback in here relating to what's wrong with the game and/or how to make the game better, since we are in beta phase afterall. However, I am looking for another kind of feedback.

I find this quite interesting as an insight into how potential new Hex players view the community and the game itself. Shows how persistent whining can negatively impact the future of the game.

I challenge you to write a short description of why I should be interested in Hex, and what stands out about it, and what (to you) makes it worth playing/an enjoyable experience. I want to see what all the hype is about!

I love Hex. It's a complex, strategic, customisable card game that leaves so many options open to the player to enjoy the game however you'd like. At the moment however there aren't as many options for players who didn't Kickstart the game as you will start with a very small card pool.

If you are an experienced card game player I'd suggest to get the VIP subscription which gives you a booster pack a week then if you also buy a small amount of platinum you can start drafting to build your card pool and have fun along the way.

If you are new to card games you should start out with the starter deck trials which are a way to learn the game while playing against the AI. As you progress through the trial you can earn new cards to go in your deck and expand your knowledge of the game.

At some point in the future we'll have PvE which is a free-to-play experience where you can go through dungeons picking up loot etc. That will be tons of fun for everyone new to card games and veterans alike.

Dinotropia
07-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I can second Gwaer's point. The balance is fantastic. I primarily backed for PvE (all the MMO features promised in the kickstarter), but have become absolutely enamored of draft. PvE will be my main love if it is anything close to what they promised, but I think I will be playing a bit more draft than I first expected.

AswanJaguar
07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Nice try, WotC legal team. No one here is going to tell you that you should play Hex because it's the same as MTG. :D

You will hear about how it is a well designed digital TCG with compelling lore, fun factions and interactions and the promise of a completely unique PvE experience that will revolutionize what playing a dTCG is like. All of this is backed up by limitless passion from its creator and the people that support his vision. It's a combination you won't find anywhere else.

MatWith1T
07-09-2014, 01:44 PM
If you play any TCG or CCG, it's because you enjoy the element of customization. The possible combinations of cards in a deck is a staggering, never-see-the-same-game-twice, number. And you can craft your own strategies, themes, and favorite cards into whatever you want them to be. Whether its MTG, YuGiOh, Hearthstone, WoWTCG or even poker, you enjoy the inherent randomness of a card game, but you also like knowing how to read, manipulate, and exploit those odds. Everything else, resources, attack, defense, keywords, and rules are just tools towards that greater metagame of moves and countermoves.

If you play an RPG, its for the rich story and personalizing a story/character progression just the way you want to do it. In a sense, another form of customization.

While both formats have standouts that do it better than others, Hex is the first to offer both at once in a meaningful way where one can build on the other.

So if you like just one of either TCGs or RPGs, Hex is a brand new way to do that thing you like in a new way. RPGers can RPG with a new TCG element, and vice versa. If you like both, its an absolute no brainer.

funktion
07-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Well first off it sounds like you've tried most of the TCG's which piqued your interest. Might as well give this one a shot right?

I haven't read what other people have offered for reasons yet but I've got a few prompts for you:

-The first was going to be, "Are you familiar with TCG's?" It seems like you are. Hex is going to offer a level of depth that many others do not. If you like deeper games this might be one for you.
-How much are you looking to spend on it? If you're looking to not spend anything at all, now isn't really the best time for you to join in. If you spend 20 bucks or so you could probably make that last for a decent while if you just want to casually draft or something along those lines. There aren't too many "alternative" ways to enjoy the game right now, but in time there will be, and the community is pretty strong that folks are still managing to generate those alternative game modes on their own.
-How much time are you hoping to spend playing it? If you're looking to draft you're looking at a roughly 3 hour commitment. For deckbuilding / pack opening / one off matches against opponents or the AI you can do most of those things in 15-20 minute increments.

-Are you easily frustrated by game bugs? This is much much less of a concern now, they've really knocked out the worst of things. However, there are still some game elements which need polish or are otherwise a little clunky. This is not a perfectly polished product, hence it still being in closed beta. From time to time I still encounter very minor bugs, to me they are absolutely no big deal at all. I'm sure to some people they'd say one bug is one too many... it's beta though and as mentioned you're getting what's advertised in that sense.

There is only one set to play with currently, but I'd say it is already deeper than some games which have published multiple sets. The directions they're taking it with the digital design and tools available to them is pretty interesting and it is only going to get better.

magic_gazz
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
You should play HEX because it is awesome. There are too many reasons as to why and trying to list them would leave something out.

A very good selling point though would be that the team are passionate about creating a great game and are not just in it for the $$$. It really is all about the player experience.

shiftychance
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you for your response, Werlix.

If/when I get into the beta, I did plan on subscribing to the VIP feature. I wish I had kickstarted the game, but I simply had not heard of it back then. I love games of all kinds, and I definitely love card games.

I'm looking forward to some card-PVE, here and in Hearthstone.

Aselith
07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Because you can make 50 Ancestral Specters and make the other guy poop his pants

nicosharp
07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Because you can make 50 Ancestral Specters and make the other guy poop his pants

If you make another guy Poop his pants, you are obviously stream sniping, and he has a crotch cam. No known card for the 'brown note' yet.

shiftychance
07-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow, I am blown away by the level of thought actually put into these responses, this is awesome.

Thank all of you for replying, I have read each and every response and they all show me why you like the game, and why I probably will as well. I have more to say but I have to run to the store for now. I will be back later :)

Cernz
07-09-2014, 03:03 PM
well
.. i play hex because it makes fun ... as long as you dont get screwed ;) and because im to slow for fast paced games .... poor old me... (well not that old) :)

Zophie
07-09-2014, 03:51 PM
No known card for the 'brown note' yet.

Keyword: yet.

Athravan
07-10-2014, 02:12 AM
I've given shiftychance a beta key, so hopefully he can come back and tell other people why they should play Hex instead :D

shiftychance
07-10-2014, 05:20 AM
I've given shiftychance a beta key, so hopefully he can come back and tell other people why they should play Hex instead :D

Ha, thank you friend. That was actually my idea as well, to come in here and reply to my own thread. I'm going to play it more today after work and I will write up my own response. I only got to touch it a bit yesterday :)

IceManiac88
07-10-2014, 05:46 AM
I have been watching some of the gameplay on Twitch and really wish i would have backed it when i had the chance too. Game seems well on its way to being a major contender in online TCG world. One thing i have noticed from lurking the last few months (actually created my account to post this" is the community surrounding this game is phenomenal! A lot of good feedback and good old fashioned camaraderie. I cant wait to hopefully get selected for BETA(or get lucky and grab a key from the beta key thread) and join this community! Thank you chance for the thread and the posters, you lot have further piqued my interest :D

negativeZer0
07-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Ha, thank you friend. That was actually my idea as well, to come in here and reply to my own thread. I'm going to play it more today after work and I will write up my own response. I only got to touch it a bit yesterday :)

Keep in mind we still only have the "pay to play" (note: not pay to win) portion of the game right now. This may be your thing, it may not but do remember there is an entire half of the game missing right now that will be free to play.

AstaSyneri
07-10-2014, 06:14 AM
I never liked Magic (offline), but I did play a decent amount of card games, travelling for tournaments, etc.

Hex is already incredibly well done, offering much more than said other card game of the past, offline or online. Card memory, escalation cards, Champions with special abilities, thresholds really improve upon the formula.

The pricing is extremely fair - Primal Packs, chests, and tournament prizes further reduce TCO.

Due to the nature of the beast (digital TCG) deck-building is very simple and quick, playing is quick as well. I really enjoy playing my deck creations against the AI or vs. guild mates. And I don't even like PvP that much, I am here for the PvE part.

This game is well on its way and if only half of what CZE promised is coming, and only half of that is really good, then we are in for a great ride. I absolutely look forward to that!

knightofeffect
07-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Just to echo what some others have said... The balance and depth for only one set is simply amazing. Commonly I forget it's actually only one set when drafting or deck building as it feels more like an entire block of other TCGs if not even a whole rotation.

But here's the thing, I've been to the CZE offices and seen most of set 2 and some of set 3. And the crazy thing is, y'all ain't seen nothing yet. They were just warming up with set one, the digital mechanics, lore, synergies, it all just shoots through the roof with the future sets. CZE is full of top-tier design talent that are all diehard TCGs fans first and foremost, and the result is simply awesome.

The potential for PvE is also staggering and what I've gotten to play from it left me
Wanting to spend hours on end in dungeons and the arena. Combine that with all the features the have on tap in the way of double backs, equipment, VIP tournaments, etc. and you have simply the best TCG experience out there.

Hieronymous
07-10-2014, 07:43 AM
I think the major draw of this game is that the mechanics have the potential to be much more complex and intricate than any other TCG I've played.

Any paper TCG is fundamentally limited by the fact that people have to keep track of everything; people can only count and distribute so many different types of counters, markers, card alterations, etc., before everyone just gets confused and the match becomes unplayable. In Hex, the computer keeps track of all that, so there aren't any limits.

Just as one example, my favorite Hex deck right now (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=6089) involves repeatedly unsummoning and recasting troops with "inspire" and "on enters play" effects to stack all kinds of crazy effects and benefits. Such a deck would be an unplayable mess in a paper TCG just because it would be too difficult to keep track of everything. In Hex it works beautifully.

So that's really the answer. Hex gameplay is unique, because Hex takes advantage of the digital space in a way no paper TCG can.

BenStoll
07-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I <3 all you guys

shiftychance
07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I <3 all you guys

Much love sir. This thread turned out to be a gold mine of Hex praise. Still working on my own response!

knightofeffect
07-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I <3 all you guys

I'm still a little salty missing out on seeing you again when I was out there. You should just make it up to me by bringing the crew back to dragoncon this year. It'll be a blast! :)

BenStoll
07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Yeah I'm personally sorry about that :( I was looking forward to seeing ya but some sort of personal stuff came up. Typically I never miss a game night. I'll be at Gen Con at least, not sure about Dragon Con!

Gwaer
07-10-2014, 10:24 AM
I have pictures of what a good time you had at dragoncon if you need a refresher. =P

BenStoll
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Please remember I have a professional image to maintain :D :D :D

ErwinVonRommel
07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Is there any plans fror Dragoncon? Even if you are not attending?

knightofeffect
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
No problem at all Ben, I hope everything turned out well. I had an awesome time there and wasn't left bored for a second. Cory even gave me a copy of epic spell wars which my friends and I have loved playing :).

I was going to make a separate DragonCon topic next month when it's the only convention coming up, they might not be able to have a clear picture yet with everything going on.

I just wanted to get a guilt trip in Ben's ear early :P

Gwaer
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I doubt that they'll be at dragoncon again. They all had a good time but it's not the best place to shill for hex.

hacky
07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I doubt that they'll be at dragoncon again. They all had a good time but it's not the best place to shill for hex.

PAX Prime instead? (I can dream)

PAX South in San Antonio, TX in January could be very cool too. Badges for it are on sale and not sold out in an hour!

Lawlschool
07-11-2014, 05:59 AM
PAX Prime instead? (I can dream)

PAX South in San Antonio, TX in January could be very cool too. Badges for it are on sale and not sold out in an hour!

I'm just hoping they come to PAX East next year, and that I remember about PAX East in time to buy tix.

fido_one
07-11-2014, 06:06 PM

I used to go to Dragoncon years ago when I lived in ATL. Great fun, but yeah, I was scratching my head last year when they said they were going and thought 'did Dragoncon change? I don't see how Hex would fit in there.' I know it would have hit some of the marks, and I know there are TCG and other games going on downstairs, but it never felt like a good place to showcase new ideas/games but rather get into dorky/nerdy things that were already established and many times on the distant periphery of regular culture.

knightofeffect
07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Oh yea, it is for sure not the ideal venue for video-game related reveals and discussions, although there is a pretty heavy board gaming , Tabletop RPG, and TCG experience to be had on the gaming floor. I think Riot is actually supposed to attend this year as well as an increased presence from Blizzard (probably from HS) so maybe things are turning a little more video gaming friendly, the demographic overlap is obvious.

I mostly just wanted to hang out in the middle of the DC madhouse again and maybe get my hands on leftover gencon exclusives. :P. It was pretty neat seeing Ben and Cory take in the whole scene from the Marriott Loft bar last year.

fido_one
07-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Oh yea, it is for sure not the ideal venue for video-game related reveals and discussions, although there is a pretty heavy board gaming , Tabletop RPG, and TCG experience to be had on the gaming floor. I think Riot is actually supposed to attend this year as well as an increased presence from Blizzard (probably from HS) so maybe things are turning a little more video gaming friendly, the demographic overlap is obvious.

I mostly just wanted to hang out in the middle of the DC madhouse again and maybe get my hands on leftover gencon exclusives. :P. It was pretty neat seeing Ben and Cory take in the whole scene from the Marriott Loft bar last year.

Man, I really miss attending DragonCon! No better place to get blitzed than at that bar and do some people-watching. More than any other convention I've been to the attendees at DC are some of the friendliest, open minded people.

frychikn
07-14-2014, 02:23 PM
if you like magic you will like this game. as much as people will tell you "they're nothing alike" they are pretty much the same game, except hex is equipped better for online play. all your skill pretty much directly transfers over from magic to hex.

I think the main appeal for this game isnt even out(PVE) and i would probably wait til they release it to join.