PDA

View Full Version : Proving Grounds rewards

Yubar
07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Most have heard we will one day be rewarded for games in PGs so I wanted to get the convo started on what people would want.

I for one think that Free chest spins would make a lot of sense. You could make the rarity given out random or have the option to be able to trade/combine chest rolls for a higher rarity (or roll chest rolls, okay jk jk)

Not only is it a reward most could use, it incentivises people to buy packs and it helps proving Grounds players that may not want to play PvE to open chests without having to go through the AH which could be a headache when you want gold fast (if only we had a CurEx). While gold spins do encourage traditionally Pvp players to try out PvE, I think this is a fair alternative, especially if tournaments stop paying out gold.

Kami
07-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Most have heard we will one day be rewarded for games in PGs so I wanted to get the convo started on what people would want.

Is there a source for this?

Also, I like the chest spin idea myself. Saves me gold. :D

d00dz
07-14-2014, 07:39 AM
I haven't heard any mention of rewards for Proving Grounds as well and its gotten me curious. They could incentivize the random matching option because hardly anyone uses that.

Xenavire
07-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Is there a source for this?

Also, I like the chest spin idea myself. Saves me gold. :D

Yeah, a dev mentioned it somewhere, but I forget where. It might have even been in one of the friday updates or something. The long and short of it was that matchmaking games would give out something (no hints as to what) and would also have a chance to drop things during events (like the gencon mercs.)

It sounds like a good idea, but no idea what they have planned. I would love all sorts of things, but sleeves and mercs seem like safe bets (just common versions) and possibly some common AA's. Past that, I couldn't even guess, but I like the free rolls idea. Kinda defeats the purpose of a gold sink though! :p

noragar
07-14-2014, 07:45 AM
I haven't heard any mention of rewards for Proving Grounds as well and its gotten me curious. They could incentivize the random matching option because hardly anyone uses that.

They already said that any rewards that would be given would only be through the random matching option.

Otherwise, we would just set up a series of matches. I concede to you, then you concede to me, then I concede to you, then you concede to me, then I concede to you.....

MatWith1T
07-14-2014, 07:55 AM
My personal preference would be a separate random-match option in the proving grounds with a gold ante... something relatively marginal, like 1000 gold. Would be best of 3, which would allow people to test decks (and sideboards!) for tournaments without having to pay plat to tune a deck you know isn't ready yet. But would still incentivize serious play because there is a (small) cost to play and reward to win - which, if it were 1000g ante, would essentially be a free wheel spin.

Scammanator
07-14-2014, 07:58 AM
The only mention I know about is them saying that playing in the proving grounds (random matchmaking) would potentially unlock event rewards (like the GenCon exclusives) during certain set time periods.

Norious
07-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Maybe a daily leaderboard if you submit a deck for proving grounds I suppose would be interesting. Or a daily reward for x wins in the proving grounds. Or a gauntlet style series (but I assume the keeps would serve the same purpose) Just can't imagine a reward for every match played in the proving grounds. Potential for abuse. Playing alt accounts for easy wins and such...

Viziroth
07-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Just can't imagine a reward for every match played in the proving grounds. Potential for abuse. Playing alt accounts for easy wins and such...

Any proving ground rewards would only be given through the play random opponent button.

YourOpponent
07-14-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm against the free chest spins idea for Proving Grounds. Instead I would like for it to be a smaller chance with getting chests....the stronger you are in the Proving Grounds (determined by a rating system) the higher the chances you have of getting a better chest.

Yubar
07-14-2014, 03:42 PM
I agree that chests are an essential gold sink. Maybe allow you to respin a spun chest of a certain rarity? I'm trying to think of things PvPers would also enjoy but gold seems like the easy answer here.

Yoss
07-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I agree that chests are an essential gold sink. Maybe allow you to respin a spun chest of a certain rarity? I'm trying to think of things PvPers would also enjoy but gold seems like the easy answer here.

I like the idea of putting a paid spin back on an exhausted chest (maybe only on Common). That actually increases the gold demand rather than diminishing it.

thegreybetween
07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
My personal preference would be a separate random-match option in the proving grounds with a gold ante... something relatively marginal, like 1000 gold. Would be best of 3, which would allow people to test decks (and sideboards!) for tournaments without having to pay plat to tune a deck you know isn't ready yet. But would still incentivize serious play because there is a (small) cost to play and reward to win - which, if it were 1000g ante, would essentially be a free wheel spin.

This is a good idea. A gold ante to participate in PG-for-Prize matches gives us a gold sink with a practical application as well as a chance to score something useful. It keeps the standard Proving Grounds (and casual random matchmaking) very straightforward, but also gives an easy implementation for prizes and non-plat competitive play.

Banquetto
07-14-2014, 09:40 PM
I would just give gold for (random matched) Proving Grounds wins.

If you can earn gold by grinding PvE, you should also be able to earn gold by grinding PvP.

Gwaer
07-14-2014, 10:01 PM
No, you explicitly shouldn't be able to earn gold by pvp. The idea is to have two different markets with things that each market wants so they have to trade in the currencies available to them. In a sense one of the markets currency itself is useful to the other market.

Mr.Pockets
07-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I like the idea of being able to wager a little bit in the proving grounds, makes things a little more exciting. But the question comes down to what currency? Having gold and plat separate makes sense, so if that's the case, what about wagering a few plat? probably no more than 10 per game?

Chest spins is also not a bad idea, spins could almost become a middle ground currency in a sense. Since chests can drop both PvP and PvE items. PvE pays for chests with gold (earned from PvE), while PvP pays for them with free spins (earned from PG).

Banquetto
07-15-2014, 01:11 AM
No, you explicitly shouldn't be able to earn gold by pvp. The idea is to have two different markets with things that each market wants so they have to trade in the currencies available to them. In a sense one of the markets currency itself is useful to the other market.

Agreed 100%, but I think it would work better if the two markets were "people who spend cash" and "people who don't spend cash", rather than "people who spend cash" and "people who PvE".

Gwaer
07-15-2014, 01:38 AM
Errr...it's actually people who have more money than time, and people who have more time than money. That is the best way to do it IMO.

Defco
07-15-2014, 03:52 AM
Errr...it's actually people who have more money than time, and people who have more time than money. That is the best way to do it IMO.

Exactly my point. Farming or paying nothing other seas loggic.

But is there going to be a rating system in PG så that you are matchmaking with other of the same rating, or how is it ging to work?

And personly i think that a litle reword with gold after wining a random ranked matchmaking is a good way to go.

Banquetto
07-15-2014, 04:38 AM

No. It would be people who have more money than time, and people who have more time than money and also want to PvE rather than PvP, the way you put it.

I don't think this makes a lot of sense, which is why I think casual no-entry-fee PvP should allow you to earn gold, just as casual no-entry-fee PvE will.

Defco
07-15-2014, 05:27 AM
No. It would be people who have more money than time, and people who have more time than money and also want to PvE rather than PvP, the way you put it.

I don't think this makes a lot of sense, which is why I think casual no-entry-fee PvP should allow you to earn gold, just as casual no-entry-fee PvE will.

Precisly but i think the discusion is what you get, you should be able to farm PvE and PvP for free and the reword should be the same.

The way it is now is what i think the best, one grinding/earning curency and one you pay for. To complicated to mix in more.

Defco
07-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Precisly but i think the discusion is what you get, you should be able to farm PvE and PvP for free and the reword should be the same.

The way it is now is what i think the best, one grinding/earning curency and one you pay for. To complicated to mix in more.

Yubar
07-15-2014, 08:02 AM
I think tradeable "respins" are a great way for free players to "monetize" their time as well. I assume that general gold pay out will be somewhat regulated for the economies sake, so respins would be cool for free players to have another Avenue to sell their time to players with more money than time. Agreed on only spinning common chest. But I kind of like the idea of combining a number of common spins to get a uncommon one, especially since these would have a daily cap. Would make these easier to market to paying players probably.

Yoss
07-15-2014, 09:40 AM
If they're rewarding spins, it should be PAID spins, not free ones. We want it to buff the gold sink, not hinder it.

Yubar
07-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Okay I see your point. I agree with that, still somewhat a pain to get gold at an immediate speed to spin for pvp only guys. Best method would be to buy a Pack for plat and immediately resell for gold at the bottom of the market I suppose, not immediate but closest thing.

Yoss
07-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Or just buy a no-spin chest on the AH, add a spin to it, and put it back on the AH for profit.

Yubar
07-15-2014, 12:59 PM
We can't list chests can we? Are there plans to be able to list them?

Yoss
07-15-2014, 01:14 PM
We can't list chests can we? Are there plans to be able to list them?

I don't see why not.

Zophie
07-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I think one problem with creating an option to add a spin back onto a spun chest is that it creates a reason for people to "feel bad" for opening their chests instead of continuing to add spins to them. I dunno maybe it's not a big issue but I don't know if I like being in a situation where I have to decide "well should I open this chest now or should I keep trying to win spins for it" and figure out if I've gotten enough "unopened value" out of my chests before finally cracking into them or selling them. It almost takes the focus off of the reward inside the chest and instead puts all the focus on earning more spins which I think kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyway, I think random matchmaking should earn a small amount of gold. I don't care if they are separate markets than PVE or whatever, it gives mainly PVE players an incentive to play PVP and get invested in that side of the game. If gold is important to me, I might love playing through PVE to get gold, and therefore have no incentive to play PVP at all, or spend any money at all. I don't see any reason why CZE would force players to only earn gold in PVE instead of incentivizing them to play in a gamemode specifically designed to make them the most money.

Yoss
07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I think one problem with creating an option to add a spin back onto a spun chest is that it creates a reason for people to "feel bad" for opening their chests instead of continuing to add spins to them.
Excellent point. Scratch the "add spins" idea.

Anyway, I think random matchmaking should earn a small amount of gold. I don't care if they are separate markets than PVE or whatever, it gives mainly PVE players an incentive to play PVP and get invested in that side of the game. If gold is important to me, I might love playing through PVE to get gold, and therefore have no incentive to play PVP at all, or spend any money at all. I don't see any reason why CZE would force players to only earn gold in PVE instead of incentivizing them to play in a gamemode specifically designed to make them the most money.
I'd like to avoid having it be a gold faucet. Maybe offer PvE stuff there or random PvP commons (which can boil down to crafting mats if the market saturates). Maybe just having a ladder ranking would be enough, lots of people just want to see their name up in lights.

Zophie
07-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Maybe offer PvE stuff there or random PvP commons (which can boil down to crafting mats if the market saturates).

Yeah I wouldn't mind this either, I just don't see why having a small gold faucet on random PVP matchmaking would be a bad thing. It would only be for wins so it will still require some level of skill and time investment just like PVE. Either way, I'm sure there'll be a whole variety of new sinks and faucets in the game once PVE comes out, so I'm guessing the entire gold economy will look very different once we get more information closer to release.

(note: I am absolutely dying for some more info on PVE!) ;)