PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Brainstorm: Keywords

funktion
07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Going to try and drum up some interesting discussion. Each Monday I'll come up with a prompt for folks to discuss, let's see if I can actually keep this up for more than a week : P

Keywords are used for two primary purposes:

-To save space in the text box by being a placeholder for a larger definition. Example: Flight; which in this case is a placeholder for, "Cannot be blocked except by troops with Flight."
-To identify more thematically driven mechanics and tie them together within the set(s). Example: Inspire ("As another troop with cost equal to or greater than this troop's cost enters play under your control, it gets ____"). In this instance the definition of the keyword is still on the card. This is necessary since the keyword mechanic for inspire is more complex than flight. Not only could the ____ be any number of modifiers but fully explaining the keyword also serves a number of other purposes.

This week's prompt is to come up with your own keyword mechanic. Give us the following information:
-Name of Keyword.
-The mechanic (its rules text).
-One or two card designs to give the keyword some context. Special note here, at least one card MUST feature the keyword, but if you feel like being tricksy and include a second card it does not necessarily have to have the keyword in it. Remember, it is more about the keyword design than it is about the card design.

-Finally 3-4 sentences discussing the mechanic. Where do you feel this keyword would fit in? What rarities could it fit in? Would only 1-2 cards in the set have it? Or maybe a couple dozen cards might? What threshold would it belong in? Would it be more accessible to some shards than others? (Going back to flight, it is accessible to all shards but is primarily highlighted by sapphire & diamond.

I will follow this post up with a submission of my own to start us off.

Please keep it to just one new keyword per post. Feel free to discuss other people's submissions as well as reiterate your own if you feel they need changes.

I will pick one submission to win 5 packs, using no criteria in particular other than what I find interesting. There will be a second prize of 3 packs given out to one random person who submits a keyword. The winners will be announced in next week's Weekly Brainstorm and the packs will be given out as soon as player to player trading has been implemented.

funktion
07-14-2014, 12:05 PM
reserved

funktion
07-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Figured I'd keep it relatively simple with the first mechanic. Came up with it just now as I was writing the OP.

Keyword: Devolve
Mechanic: Effected troop is reverted and then receives permanent -1 / -1.

Decomposing Corpse
Cost: 2B
Troop - Zombie
Common

When this troop dies, Devolve target troop.
2 Att 1 Def

Corrupted Blockade
Cost: 3SS
Troop - Wall
Uncommon

Defensive
Opposing champions' maximum hand sizes are modified by this troop's attack.
-1 Att 4 Def

The mechanic is pretty straightforward, figured I'd throw the second card in there for something fun. It would primarily be a keyword for limited play with some crossover to constructed. I see the power level being slightly higher than the text for Bombsmith. It would be primarily accessible to blood and to a lesser extent sapphire, perhaps with some crossover to wild or maybe even diamond (necrotic). From the races we currently know I imagine Vennen / Necrotic / Undead all being able to use the keyword.

MatWith1T
07-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Keyword: Havoc
Mechanic: When this card enters your hand or graveyard, create an animated dog that runs around on your screen disrupting your game. Must click on it to be able to pass priority or resolve cards.

Bella, No!
Cost 3BB
Basic Action
Escalation
Inscribe 1 random card in target champion's deck with keyword Havoc
1 random

thegreybetween
07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Keyword: Infiltrate
Mechanic: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, put this card into that champion's hand. At the beginning of your turn, you take 1 damage per Infiltrating card in your hand.

Softpaw Shinobi
Troop - Shin'hare Ninja
Uncommon

Infiltrate
1Att/1Def

Cerulean Investigator
Cost: 3SS
Troop - Human Spy
Rare

Inspire: As another troop with cost equal to or greater than this troop's cost enters play under your control, it gets Infiltrate.
1Att/2Def

This mechanic essentially adds a new dynamic to the game, allowing for manipulation of an opponent's hand beyond the basic force-discard and card-theft mechanisms already in play. When a troop deals damage to you, that card gets put into your hand. At the beginning of your turn, if there are any Infiltrating cards in your hand, they deal 1 damage to you. To get an Infiltrating card out of your hand, you would need to (A) Cast it, if you have the appropriate thresholds (and could then use it against your foe); (B) Discard it via some card mechanism that allows discarding; or (C) hold cards until you have more than 7, and discard naturally.

NOTE: Cards with Infiltrate will not harm a player unless it is actually Infiltrating (ie. If you draw it, it won't attack you while it is in your hand). Within HEX, I imagine that the keyword "Infiltrate" will change to a red-colored "Infiltrating" while it is in a position to damage a player.

This mechanism brings a very different tactical dynamic to hand management, and is unlike anything I've seen in HEX. Naturally, it would take a lot of balancing work, so my example cards may be WAY out of line...but you get the idea.

EDIT: I forgot - I see this mechanic being primarily in the Sapphire shard, with some spill into blood and ruby. I imagine it will be employed mostly by Shin'hare and Humans, with a lesser use by Vennen and Orcs.

EDIT 2: I could also see this making a good Gem (Sapphire, Minor Gem of Espionage: SS - Socketed Troop gains Infiltrate). This could actually be pretty fun, as the socketed troop might be one that the opponent can cast, but if they don't have the 2S threshold to trigger the gem, you basically give them a free non-Infiltrating troop once they get it out of their hand. Lots of potential for some fun interactions on both sides of the battle.

rjselzler
07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Fun idea!

Keyword: Magnetic
Mechanic: When this troop attacks, all artifact troops that can block it must do so.

Swag Bot (PvE)
Cost: 3
Troop-Artifact
Rare

Text: Magnetic. If Swag Bot deals damage to a player, permanently destroy it and then generate a random chest.
1 Attack/ 2 Defense

Flavor text: "Soon."

Mechanic is straightforward; Swag Bot would look like a treasure chest with robotic, gear-driven arms and legs. Jank Bot's baby brother! :D

Edit: Forgot to add permanent destruction to the bot for balance that doesn't matter...

Vorsa
07-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Keyword: Attuned
Mechanic: Card gets permanent +1/+1 when you gain a specified threshold.

Wrathwood Creeper
Cost: 1W
Troop -- Plant
Common
Attuned - When you gain [Wild], this troop gets permanent +1/+1.
0 Att 1 Def

Dawn of the Undead
Constant
Uncommon
Zombies you control get "Attuned - When you gain , this troop gets permanent +1/+1."

Carcetti, Power Broker
Cost: 2S
Troop -- Void Society
Rare, Unique
[B]Spellshield
Attuned - When you gain [Sapphire], this troop gets permanent +1/+1.
[0] > This troop gets permanent -1/-1, then target other troop gets permanent +1/+1.
1 Att 2 Def

Quite a straight-forward one, but also one with a low enough premium (as it's weaker the later creatures are played) that it can be added to troops for spice rather than as their whole gimmick necessarily.
Also some scope for more complex implementations, I hope e.g. Carcetti above.

Diesbudt
07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Supercalifragiliciousespialadocious - When this troop attacks, it randomly gains 1 key word until the end of the turn.

Vorsa
07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Supercalifragiliciousespialadocious - When this troop attacks, it randomly gains 1 key word until the end of the turn.

What if it gets Defensive and the game implodes?! ;)

Malakili
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Foresee

Foresee X means, reveal X random cards from your deck, place each card revealed this way at the top or bottom of your deck (your choice) in any order.

funktion
07-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Keyword: Infiltrate
Mechanic: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, put this card into that champion's hand. At the beginning of your turn, you take 1 damage per Infiltrating card in your hand.

I like this one a lot. Good thinking ahead about them not damaging you until they've actually infiltrated. Would they continue to stack the damage each time they infiltrated or would it be a one shot. Like if mine infiltrates you, you're taking one a turn but then if you use it on me am I now taking 2 a turn from it or one a turn? Interesting either way though might get out of hand if it kept escalating.
**After thinking about it more, them escalating would probably get out of hand too quickly and might be less interesting.

I like adding additional text to various cards as well:
"When this troop infiltrates, _______." One fun one would be look at the top card of that player's deck, put it on the top or bottom of their deck.

Tinfoil
07-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Keyword: Ethereal
Mechanic: Troops with Ethereal can't attack, block, be destroyed, deal or receive damage. They can still be affected by other effects and they also die if their defense is reduced to zero.

Voidghost
cost 3S
Uncommon
Ethereal
3 att 2 def
[2] --> materialize this troop (lose Ethereal) for the rest of the turn.

Keyword allows playing around Extinction and such, but the troop must materialize to do something.

Xenavire
07-14-2014, 02:14 PM
I think the infiltrating cards should get +1 cost and lose all threshold - so you can really play hot potato with them!

funktion
07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Disclaimer: this particular idea started off as something which was much more keyword centric, after thinking about it though it is more an overall set mechanic than just a keyword. Not sure how distinguished the two are from one another... now I'm rambling.

Here's another I've started coming up with while driving around today, still could use some adjustment though.

Keyword: Momentum (signified by [M] when referencing the value)
Mechanic: At the end of your turn, if you did not gain any momentum this turn, lose all momentum.

Wildfire
Cost: 1R + [M]
Common
Quick Action

Deal 1+[M] damage to target champion or troop.
Gain one momentum.

Centripetal Bot
Cost: 2
Uncommon
Artifact - Troop, Robot

If you have any momentum this troop must attack each turn if able.
When this troop attacks gain one momentum.

2+[M] att / 2 def

--------------

At first when coming up with this I wanted a mechanic similar to escalation but which could be available at all rarities and had synergies with cards that didn't share the same name. After thinking about it more it started to become something else entirely. All of the momentum based actions would increase their costs based on how much momentum you have but would also increase their effect. The idea would be that as you gain more momentum the cards become more powerful but are also harder to maintain. Eventually you're going to run out of steam. For this mechanic to work there would need to be a easy way to keep track of each players' momentum, luckily with the digital aspect that wouldn't be too difficult. I could definitely see there being a momentum archetype within the draft / sealed formats containing this keyword. I thought of probably another dozen or so cards which could work with it. It would primarily be in ruby / sapphire / artifacts and to a lesser extent the other shards.

thegreybetween
07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I think the infiltrating cards should get +1 cost and lose all threshold - so you can really play hot potato with them!

I thought about this, but I don't think it should be automatic or else it undoes much of what the mechanic is designed to accomplish. The goal of the mechanic is to involve hand management more offensively/defensively - to give you a reason to hold/fill your hand or to get some more interesting interactions out of discard effects. Losing the threshold automatically (even with +1 cost) represents at best a major inconvenience, but doesn't really bring much drama and decision-making that doesn't already otherwise exist.

One thematic way to balance it would be this: While Infiltrating, you may discard 2 (non-Infiltrating) cards from your hand to permanently transform the threshold(s) on this card to a shard of your choice.

Thematically, the 2-card discard represents the resources you had to invest to locate and convert the infiltrator. You toss 2 cards, cast the Infiltrator under your control, and can then use it at will (and your likely Sapphire opponent will have an equally hard time getting that card out of their hand if it hits them, because of the new Thresholds). Sounds cool!

On the subject of Hot Potato, that also sounds like a great card:

Hot Potato
1R
Basic Action

Place this card into the hand of target opposing champion. This card gains permanent cost +1 and the threshold transforms into a random threshold controlled by that opponent. If Hot Potato is in your hand at the end of your turn, it deals damage to you equal to its casting cost and then automatically enters the hand of a random opposing champion.

Good times.

thegreybetween
07-14-2014, 03:22 PM
**After thinking about it more, them escalating would probably get out of hand too quickly and might be less interesting.

Agreed. I think capping it to 1 damage per infiltrator is a good idea.

I like adding additional text to various cards as well:
"When this troop infiltrates, _______." One fun one would be look at the top card of that player's deck, put it on the top or bottom of their deck.

Nice! You could really do a lot with this type of mechanic. Instead of making Infiltrate an automatic 1 damage, you could make it any given effect.

Infiltrate: When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, put this card into that champion's hand. This card is now Infiltrating. While Infiltrating, ______. You may discard 2 non-Infiltrating cards from your hand to permanently transform this card's threshold to any shard you control.

Then you could have a list of effects that are shard-dependent, like:

- While Infiltrating, reveal each card you draw to your opponent (Sapphire)
- While Infiltrating, this card deals 1 damage to you at the start of each of your turns (Ruby) [This is the original effect]
- While Infiltrating, you must discard a non-Infiltrating card from your hand at the start of each turn (Blood)

You could expand on this list within each shard, so that they all had 1-2 different Infiltration effects and could expand further with new sets.

funktion
07-14-2014, 03:38 PM
I'd like for it to always do the 1 damage, the other stuff is just extra that you could tack on for a couple uncommons or rares.

Edit: I shoulda read a little further rather than glaze over it. Yeah I do like that option as well. It being shard-bound, would be interesting with gems too!

Saeijou
07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Keyword: Reproduce
Mechanic: If two cards with the same name are on the field(and that keyword obviously), they produce another troop of it's kind at the beginning of your turn.
Counts for every two. So two produce one, four produce two and so forth.

Breed Bunny
Cost: 2W
Troop - Shinhare
Uncommon
Reproduce

Discussion:
I thought the mechanic is funny. But it's hard, that two "same" creatures reproduce each other... so maybe it needs some tuning.
But I hope my point is clear :)
It's a new art of concubunny and could appear on other creatures or troops as well.
I think it can be a win condition, if your opponent cant stop your troops from reproduction.

Gwaer
07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
While infiltrating, Obfusctation... There is a 10% chance for every obfuscation infiltrator to hide the details of a card you draw. You can see its casting cost and threshold requirements but the rest of the card is obscured. So then you have to work out which of the cards in your deck have that cost and threshold...

I only like it because it's something that is completely impossible to do in a paper tcg.

thegreybetween
07-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Obfuscation sounds like an awesome PvE boss-deck ability, and I could see it being a blast. Sounds a little over-the-top for PvP play, especially if you couldn't tell if it was a troop, removal, etc. If you knew the type of card (troop, basic action, etc) then it would be a bit more "fair" but a lot less chaotic fun. I'd like to see the more aggressive version, but reserved to PvE.

Naldek
07-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Keyword: Revenge
Mechanic[edited]: When this troop enter play, target a troop. When this troop leaves play put it in the graveyard and destroy the previously targeted troop.

Stubborn Raider

Cost: 2 R
Troop - Orc
Common

This troop can't block

2 Att 1 Def

Bitter Ranger

Cost 4 S
Troop - Human
Uncommon

3 Att 3 Def

Obstinate Scout

Cost 3 SS
Troop - Human
Uncommon
Socketable Minor

2 Att 1 Def

This mechanic can be used as a delayed removal. If the troop can block, you may use troops with 'Revenge' as blockers to allow for a 2-1 trade. If the troop can't block, the timing of the removal might be left to your opponent. Or you can also use this as instant removal with cards like Devoted Emissary or Time Ripple to immediately destroy the targeted card and keeping the 'Revenge' troop in our hand for another later use. Not many cards in the set would have it and it would be mostly a human/orc/necrotic keyword.

ErwinVonRommel
07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Keyword: Lockdown
Mechanic: Prevent a card from being cast/used by your opponent.

Sidenote, this could be fun in the infiltration mechaninc as well.

Mental Block
4S Basic- common (or uncommon)
Target opponent chooses a card in hand, that card gains Lockdown.

Horros of War
2D Quick- common
Creatures that dealt more then 1 damage to you this turn gain lockdown.

and so forth.

Possibly add a number to the effect to make this turn based so cards are not sitting there the entire game. Lockdown 2 for example would be useless for two turns be it in play or in your hand.

thegreybetween
07-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Re: Revenge

This is a fun idea. Imbedded removal makes for some interesting decisions, as any given Revenge troop is an inherent combat trick and thus dangerous to block. Making them unable to block is a good call for cheaper Revenge troops. Giving a troop Revenge and a gem socket could make for a high-pressure beastie.

Thematically, and in terms of balance, a few tweaks to consider:
- Set some type of qualifier rather than let the Revenge troop target anything in play. For example, "When this troop enters play, target a troop with a (casting cost/ATT/DEF) less than this troop..." This makes it a little more practical, as a Revenging runt of the litter shouldn't logically be able to drop a Kraken.
- Rather than "When this troop leaves play..." it makes more sense as "When this troop enters a graveyard from play..." specifically to prevent bounce-removal schemes. If my runt of the litter IS going to hate-kill a Kraken, it should be a death throe, not some clever trick on my part. Granted, that does limit the scope of its utility, but it seems more fair and thematically balanced as a revenge mechanism.

thegreybetween
07-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Re: Lockdown

Another interesting mechanic, as it effectively makes cards in hand unplayable - a new trick for HEX. I would expect that if this mechanic entered the system, we should also see some new hand-manipulation effects to balance this - Actions like a mass-reversion that affects all (local and/or global) zones, or more cards that will allow you to discard from your hand to some offensive purpose ("Discard a troop from your hand to deal damage equal to its ATT to target opposing troop", etc.). Otherwise, if we saw this mechanic AND Infiltrate enter the game, we could quickly turn any given hand into an uncastable wad of gum. Having a hand full of cards that you can afford but cannot use is at least as (if not more) frustrating as facing a mean mill deck or dealing with flood/screw, so we'd want to introduce it as a focused and risky win condition rather than an easy supplement to any given deck, or else we'd all end up hating the game by accident ;)

ErwinVonRommel
07-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Lol, I agree.

As an alternative you can have it be a turn based effect as well. Just throw a number on the end. Lockdown 2 for example would dissipate in 2 turns.

These would need to be built around, not just thrown in as is. Similar to other mechanics in games that shall not be named.

I see these being in block themes, and brought back in core sets to keep things fresh. Who knows whats going to happen with PVE though.

funktion
07-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah that Lockdown mechanic seems like it would create a negative play experience. If it was on just one or two cards total I can see it maybe working but if it were widespread enough in the set to be a keyword mechanic I imagine a lot of players would be frustrated by it. Doesn't really feel like it fills a niche that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Revenge I like, and think it could be iterated on a little further. Thematically (and balance wise) it might be better to have it trigger on death rather than just when it leaves play, having removal that would be so easy to recur might be overbearing.

Zophie
07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Keyword: Armor X
Mechanic: Troop gets X amount of additional health above their Defense value, and the Armor takes damage first but does not regenerate at end of turn (unless more Armor amount is added through card effects).

For example, a 2/2 troop with "Armor 1" would need to take 3 total damage to be killed. If Armor takes damage then this value is reduced first before the troop takes Defense damage. If they do not take fatal damage, then at the end of the turn the Defense amount is restored as normal but the damaged Armor does not regenerate. There could also be other cards to add armor to existing troops by "Target troop gains Armor 2" or whatever.

I think this would be a neat mechanic to give some options for temporary defensive gains on troops.

Edit: Also Armor damage does not trigger deathtouch if no actual defense damage is taken. (Thanks Gwaer!)

Gwaer
07-16-2014, 06:01 PM
It should also counteract things like deathtouch, if they don't lose any actual defense value and it's all armor, no death.

Zophie
07-16-2014, 09:02 PM
It should also counteract things like deathtouch, if they don't lose any actual defense value and it's all armor, no death.

Excellent point, very cool when these mechanics can interact with and/or counter other mechanics in interesting ways.

Edit: My 250th post, I'm a Sensei! :D

Slaeer
07-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Keyword: Plagued
Mechanic: When troops with Plagued deal damage to a troop or champion, add a Plagued counter to that troop or champion. At the start of that champion's turn, any troops with plagued counters get a permanent 0/-X1 where X1 is the number of Plagued counters on that troop and/or the champion loses X2 health where X2 is the number of Plagued counters on the champion. If any troop were to die this way, revert the troop and transform it into Festering Zombie. Any health gained by the Champion clears all Plagued counters on the Champion as well as his/her troops. If a troop with keyword Plagued were to be buffed (+att or +def), that troop permanently loses keyword Plagued.

Festering Zombie
3BB Troop - Zombie
Common
Plagued
2 att 2 def

Would be for blood obviously and Diamond would be a direct challenge to this. Would also add another mechanic that could add counters directly to a champion. Similar to a poison but also transforms troops. You can also get rid of opponent's Plagued by buffing their troops. Can also be used defensively if you want to turn a flock of seagulls into a 2/2 troop with Plagued. Could also be modified like Plagued 2, adds 2 counters.

Naldek
07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Actually for Revenge my first idea was to trigger it on death but I thought it would be more interesting if it triggered any time it leaves play. Setting extra condition might make it a little too impractical, to avoid a Revenging runt killing a kraken it is easier to not create a revenging runt of the litter. But it could be slightly altered so that it does trigger on death but then destroy the previously targeted card(s) in case you have bounced your revenging troop earlier. Making some socketable is also a good idea since you could also use the minor blue gem that allows to play troop during your opponent troop to create a last minute blocker. It could kill both the blocked troop and the target of the revenge.

Slaeer
07-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Keyword: Resourceful
Mechanic: When troops with Resourceful deal damage to a Champion, choose one: Play a random resource from your deck; or [3] Draw a card.

Slot Machine
1 cost Artifact - Slot Machine, Common
Resourceful
1 att 1 def

Low cost troops with Resourceful can help with either being screwed or flooded. Might be better by making it "When troops with Resourceful attack..." but that might be a bit OP? Not sure which one would be better.

Slaeer
07-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Actually for Revenge my first idea was to trigger it on death but I thought it would be more interesting if it triggered any time it leaves play. Setting extra condition might make it a little too impractical, to avoid a Revenging runt killing a kraken it is easier to not create a revenging runt of the litter. But it could be slightly altered so that it does trigger on death but then destroy the previously targeted card(s) in case you have bounced your revenging troop earlier. Making some socketable is also a good idea since you could also use the minor blue gem that allows to play troop during your opponent troop to create a last minute blocker. It could kill both the blocked troop and the target of the revenge.

You could just make the mechanic "If a troop with Revenge were to leave play, Void that troop along with the targeted card." That way they COULD bounce it back to their hand but would not be able to play it again.

EDIT: or you could "discard" or "send troop to the graveyard" if you think Voiding is too much.

thegreybetween
07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
You could just make the mechanic "If a troop with Revenge were to leave play, Void that troop along with the targeted card." That way they COULD bounce it back to their hand but would not be able to play it again.

EDIT: or you could "discard" or "send troop to the graveyard" if you think Voiding is too much.

I like the void idea. That allows for the bounce tricks without making the card too crazy. I still think there should be some sort of qualifier for the target, but this could be factored into the cost/rarity of the troop so long as there was no other way to add Revenge to a card (permanent action buff, Champ power, etc).

Naldek's trick with the blue gems sounds like a lot of fun, but also too powerful if Revenge is allowed open targeting.

Maybe Revenge could be set up to only allow you to target troops that have killed another troop? That would still allow for some wide targeting options while keeping it thematic and somewhat limited. Then you could run some fun combo decks with cards like Pheromones (put it on a little creature and attack, so that all of the opposing troops are part of a kill and thus targetable).

Cernz
07-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Keyword: Deception

every troop with this keyword will be marked as attacker (in every attacking phase) even if it dont attacks -
so if you block that troop you wasted a troop for an attacking troop which dont attacks ;)

could be quite annoying :D

Zophie
07-17-2014, 12:46 AM
Keyword: deception

every troop with this keyword will be marked as attacker (in every attacking phase) even if it dont attacks -
so if you block that troop you wasted a troop for an attacking troop which dont attacks ;)

ooh I kinda like this idea, especially since it's one of those things that'd be tricky to do in a paper TCG. More mechanics that highlight the digital nature of the game are great!

thegreybetween
07-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Nice one. Troops with Deception would seem to your opponent to automatically exhaust and attack during your attack phase, only you can choose whether or not to bluff and not actually attack. The opponent assigns blockers, and any Deception troop that didn't actually attack readies itself immediately after blockers are assigned. This one would really mess with the classic board stalemate and could make for a fantastic set of sucker-punch combos. Pair a Deception troop with a gem socket, and you have an awesome bluff device because your opponent can't really afford not to stop the troop just in case. Good times.

Cernz
07-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Nice one. Troops with Deception would seem to your opponent to automatically exhaust and attack during your attack phase, only you can choose whether or not to bluff and not actually attack. The opponent assigns blockers, and any Deception troop that didn't actually attack readies itself immediately after blockers are assigned. This one would really mess with the classic board stalemate and could make for a fantastic set of sucker-punch combos. Pair a Deception troop with a gem socket, and you have an awesome bluff device because your opponent can't really afford not to stop the troop just in case. Good times.

thats the plan :) im happy that some ppl like the idea \o/

Aradon
07-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Overcharge-- When you cast this spell, you may lose [this spell's threshold]. If you do, X (in addition to the spell's normal effect).

Oracle's Assistant 2 (SS)
Troop - Coyotle Cleric
Overcharge-- When you cast Oracle's Assistant, you may lose (SS). If you do, draw a card.
1/3

Gemmed Berserker 2 (RR)
Troop - Orc Warrior
Overcharge-- When you cast Gemmed Berserker, you may lose (RR). If you do, Gemmed Berserker gains a major socket and gem of your choice.
Speed.
2/1

Ponder 1 (S)
Action
Overcharge-- When you cast Ponder, you may lose (S). If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck and put them back in any order.
Draw a card.

I hope I didn't break any hard rules by posting more than two cards, just wanted to show a couple different designs. Overcharge is an outlet to allow players to spend excess thresholds. Unlike in MtG, you don't need more than a few thresholds, even for casting multiple spells in one turn, so while you accumulate 5+ of a single threshold quite easily, you only need 2 or 3. Overcharge helps make use of this resource. It plays a couple of roles for card design: first off, it allows early cards to maintain usefulness into the late-game by having an extra cost that is unappealing very early on, but a no-brainer later. It also creates some cards that have obvious risk-reward tensions, like the Berserker. He's a pretty poor 2-drop on his own, but if you give him a major gem, he's very efficient. However, you also lose the thresholds that power that gem, and potentially stop yourself from dropping future creatures, particularly more of him.

Overcharge is a mechanic that fits in every color at every rarity very easily, and would be one of the larger mechanical themes of a set, much like kicker (every mechanic is kicker!) from MtG. Thematically, overcharging would be most obvious in ruby, sapphire, and diamond, but could be tweaked to fit into supercharged spells from wild and blood magic too.

TOOT
07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Deflection

If this troop receives damage from combat but does not die, that same amount of damage is inflicted to opposing champion.

ex.

Wall of Mirrors
Cost 5: DDD

0/6 Defensive
Deflection

funktion
07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Actually I'd thought of something similar earlier myself. I have a feeling that this would have to be a pve mechanic, but it could be a fun one. Again not sure where the best implementation lies mechanically.

Ricochet
When this troop receives damage, deal that much damage to a random target. [damage cannot ricochet more than once per turn]

Backfire
1R
Quick Action
Common (maybe unc instead)

Target troop gains ricochet.

Drunken Sniper
3RR
Troop - Dwarf, Ranger
Uncommon

Exhaust: deal one damage to target champion or troop.
All damasshhhhhh dealt by thishhh troop ricosshh...shh...shets.
0/1

"I'm never drinking ever again."

THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!!!
4RR
Quick Action
Rare

All damage dealt this turn ricochets.

"For a few seconds... this place was Armageddon."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKTbFbwrxE

funktion
07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Keyword: Deception

How did I miss this one, glazed right over it apparently. This would be a LOT of fun!

@aradon: It's likely just a matter of time until we see thresholds also being used as a secondary resource for some cards. I can't wait.

cavench
07-17-2014, 01:07 PM
This is a keyword for actions and quick actions.

Keyword: Burden

Mechanic: After this action resolves, put this card into target opponent's library and gains the ability "cannot be cast or discarded".

This keyword will indirectly attacks opponent in two ways.

1. Opponent draws a useless card.
2. If opponent has 7+ burden cards in hand, he is forced to immediately play whatever he topdecks or discard that card at end of turn.

This is also a counter against effects like "draw a card, then discard a card.". I feel this keyword isn't powerful enough to justified extra resource cost, but perhaps just an increase on threshold requirement. Here is an example if Burn has Burden keyword:

Second Degree Burn
1RR
Burden.
Deal 2 damage to target champion or troop.

cferejohn
07-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Foresee

Foresee X means, reveal X random cards from your deck, place each card revealed this way at the top or bottom of your deck (your choice) in any order.

Huh, random cards? Why not cards from the top of your deck? Having it be random means that multiple forsees interact strangely (or maybe that was the point?).

Slaeer
07-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Or an Inspire troop that adds Deception. :eek: all troops are always attacking! (or so it seems)

Frost3
07-18-2014, 12:44 AM
This might already exist, and its been so long I don't remember.

Phase X: Cards with this ability come into play out of phase, and cannot interact with normal cards. They can however interact with other cards out of phase. You may pay X to phase the card into or out of reality.

Spectral walker
Cost 2DD
Uncommon

Phase 1
2/2

'The coyotle do not see time like other races. To you, the walker struck from nowhere. But to the coyotle he was there the whole time, his blade poised.'

The idea is you put him out on turn two. Turn three you attack, and since he is out of phase he can't be blocked. Then phase him back in, for 1 cost to inflict two damage. To make things more fun, I've made it to where, other out of phase troops can block him. Allowing for a set of fights occurring in and out of phase.

Alignment Error
Quick Action
3S
Uncommon

When this card is played, you become out of phase until the beginning of your next round.

This card can be fun to get out of being swarmed by a horde.

Quantum Bomb
Cost 2RS
Legendary
Constant

Phase 10
1 Place a phase counter on this card, for every phase counter on this card, its phase cost is reduced.
sacrifice this card deal ten damage to each troop and champion

'You accuse my people of being reckless, mad tinkerers incapable of patience. You are wrong, for we have waited centuries to destroy this world. We simply choose not to wait any longer.' Eurig the Robomancer.

So there are a few things I like about this idea. One the idea of duel thresholds where cards that have a place in more then one shard are given a home in them.

Two I like the idea of how dangerous it is to both sides, and feel that plays well into the dwarves, which tend to favor these two shards.

Three, it forces you to consider how to play it. It acts as a soul marble resource sink, allowing to spend energy into it, that you aren’t going to use before your next turn. But while it can be used at any time to destroy a number of out of phase troops the goal is to get it to phase in, to kill their champion.

Not only this, but it makes it more difficult for a champion to use the spectral realm as a safe haven when this card is on the other side of the field.

Admittedly we would need some serious testing and tweaking, but the overall concept seems fun to me. I hope you like the basic premise as well. =)

funktion
07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
For deception I like something like this:

Slip Between the Cracks
3SR
Constant

All troops you control have deception.
At least one troop you control must attack each turn if able.

[Could even add "Only one troop you control may attack each turn." to it as well for a little extra flavor]

Wispersil
07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
[Due to the reveal of Scheme]

Keyword: Infusion
Mechanic: If this card is in your deck, its Infusion ability can trigger when meeting a certain requirement, to extend the power of similar actions.

These cards would probably be rare or uncommon due to how they can activate, and always high costed, since the most of their use is playing them for free from your deck. Also with a threshold requirement that matches their cost (flavour and balance.)

The keyword could only be in Wild and Blood, since those are raw magic shards.

Hate Spike
5BB
Action

Deal 2 damage to target player.

BB : Infusion - If this card is in your deck and an action you played deals damage to an opposing player, deal 1 damage to that player as an additional effect of that action.

Autumn Summons
6WWW
Action

Create Glittering Sprite and put it into play.

WWW : Infusion - If this card is in your deck and an action you played would put a troop into play, create a Fledgling Sprite and put it into play as an additional effect of that action.

[Glittering Sprite: WWW2 2/2 Troop with Flying]
[Fledgling Sprite: WWW1 1/1 Troop with Flying]

Gwaer
07-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Bonus points for differentiating wild and blood due to lore.

funktion
07-19-2014, 07:34 PM
I'll be closing off submissions around 10 PM my time (cdt) on Sunday night. There've been some really fun submissions so far. Remember to stay tuned on monday for next week's brainstorm post which will also name the winners for this week's contest.

Diesbudt
07-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Alchemize

---> Exhaust this troop and void a card from your hand and this troop gets permanent +1/+1 and gain [0/1] along with 1 threshold of the threshold that matches this card.
----------------------------------------------------
Ruby Orc Scientist

2R
[1/2]

Alchemize
(1) Sacrifice this troop to deal damage to target troop or champion equal to its attack.
---------------------------------------
Human purifier

3D
[3/2]

Alchemize
Exhaust - Target troop gains defense equal to this cards defense.

-----------------------------------
Basically the idea is this. Uses a card in an interesting way to slightly lighten threshold and resource issues people complain about. And also allows a troop to gain power for using it. Limiting it to an exhaust and requiring a voided card balances the power out a bit.

(basically it is like casting a bravery on the troop and playing a resource that you cannot use this turn but next turn.)

Could even change it to when this card is played with the may clause in using the ability, instead of exhausted. Limiting it to 1 use per summon.

Naldek
07-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I have slightly updapted my earlier submission using the advice received.