PDA

View Full Version : How much customization for fun?

Bells
07-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Here is a thing that bothers me on the design of many, MANY games of all genres...

When the game gives me game modes, for fun, for multiplayer, but doesn't allow me to customize my rules.

Now, i'm not talking about ''pick X or Y'' customization... i'm talking about actually customizing your game.

Part of a design that gets so close to it's player base like Hex is, is that the feedback is automatic. We are right there checking and testing every card, ever system, every method... we provide that feedback to CZE with near zero latency. And that makes the game better, and stronger and fuller...

We have the tools, can't we play with them?

What i suggest for thought is the notion of a ''Kitchen Table mode'' in the game. A way to set Player-To-Player matches with a group of friends, just for fun. Maybe with a cap of players due to networking, latency and simple practicality issues... but still! Free to desgin as you wish.

Wanna make a Best out of 13 Games? Sure. Just set that rule.

How about no Artifacts? Set that rule!

Shard handicap per player? Why not!

Allow player to play as many resources as he can per turn? Sure.

Change size of hand? 3 - 7 - 10 - unlimited?

Toggle off certain trigger words...?

Block certain rarities from being played?

change the clock timer or disable it completely!

Define amount of time pre-match to put your deck together and adjust it between rounds...

Start with as many Charges as you want for your Champion...

Start with as many life as you want...

And all that allows you to play with friends, as much as you like. Do you get gold? No. XP for your cards? No. Platinum? No. Anything...? No. Just fun.

The possibilities are nearly endless.... We don't need a multitude of combinations of rules and systems to play as our matches, we don't need every single format being an update that has been tested to exhaustion by CZE before hand... we just need to give the players a Sandbox ruleset. Let the players create and enjoy themselves... maybe we will create exclusive new formats of play for Hex! Maybe we will create entire new ways to play the game... make the game unique, open. There is only to gain from this... and not only that... the tools are already there. These are sliders, toggles, buttons, they just have to be adjusted in a place the players have access to them directly.... make it a Lab for creative experiments. And make it multiplayer!

The one rule i would impose is that you only get to play with the cards you have. and that's it.

Toshiro
07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Good Idea, but they have to release the game first. So we have to wait for a long time for further features.

Diesbudt
07-22-2014, 06:18 AM
They have spoken that they would he for customizing rules in proving ground like matches, and have expressed player run tournaments as well.

So this is doable and may be in the plans... Much farther down the road. As is they still have:

Trading, tutorial, AI changes & PvE, Guilds, ladders along with bug fixes and a rule book before they may give progress on this idea.

Which I agree is the best option. "You don't start decorating a house while the foundation is still being built."

Svenn
07-22-2014, 06:41 AM
There is only to gain from this... and not only that... the tools are already there. These are sliders, toggles, buttons, they just have to be adjusted in a place the players have access to them directly.... make it a Lab for creative experiments. And make it multiplayer!

It's... not that simple. They aren't just sitting there with a secret lab of knobs and levers that make everything work instantly as they tweak them. These things are numbers and functions within code; they don't have some magic slider that changes the maximum hand size or a button that disables the limit on number of resources per turn. Some things, like maximum hand size, might be a fairly small tweak but to get it into a state where players could adjust it for their own personal use with in-game stuff is not a trivial amount of work.

I believe they did say they want a lot of options for playing with friends, so expect to see some customization options later on but it's not a high priority right now.

Kami
07-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah, this has come up a few times over the past several months (myself included). I'm hoping for a lot of customization for custom games, mostly because that is the only way you'll discover interesting new gameplay formats (e.g. 2HG, Pauper, and more).

If they really want to turn this game into a sandbox, they'll have to figure out this 'problem' eventually, imo.

Turtlewing
07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
There would be rather a lot of programming (and testing) involved in this suggestion.

Additionally the more customization there is the harder it will be to get people who want to play in the same mode. And the more opportunity there is for players to get "used to" a variant ruleset that makes them ill prepared to play in the "official" rules and thus participate in tournaments or PvE.

This is definitely a "post launch" feature, and it's going to have to start small probably with purely numeric changes (change had sizes, deck sizes, max number cards in deck, etc.). And it will always have to be a "pick X or Y customization" to some level because the rules have to be programmed and all you can do is use the defined UI to alter the parameters and toggle available settings.

I expect the first iteration of this would be an ability to create games with a custom ban list.

Yoss
07-22-2014, 09:04 AM
3rd Party API for custom modes development is on the community wish list (see my sig). Don't expect it any time soon.

Gwaer
07-22-2014, 12:11 PM
This is kind of what leagues will do, they're going to have custom tournament modes and ladders where players flip some of these switches, throw in some prize support, and let people battle it out. Like HTP's tournament with its custom bans but all done in client. Letti anyone create a format to support is pretty amazing and I hope they stick with it.

*a 3rd party API for this would be uneccesary and terrible.

Yoss
07-22-2014, 12:19 PM
An in-client game editor would work fine as well.