PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Free Tournament This Saturday

Shaqattaq
07-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi HEXers! We got some reminders, announcements, and a Shattered Destiny spoiler. So, letís get right to it with the Friday HEX update!

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-free-tournament-this-saturday/

AdamAoE2
07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
New UI looks nice. Starting to come together. :)

hacky
07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
...I don't think I've realized how creepy Eldritch Dreamer's art actually is until now, and would greatly prefer it to not be on the login screen every time I startup Hex... at least not at that level of detail. I think it was there before, just surrounded by other art so I didn't focus on it.

EDIT: Funny enough, I don't have the same reaction to Eldritch Dreamer the actual card. I guess the ENHANCE on the login screen puts focus where I wouldn't have put focus otherwise. I'll just have to try to imagine a Storm Cloud in its place or something. ;)

Other art I wouldn't mind never seeing again: that bleeding eyes face in a pool of blood Relentless Corruption.

Littlejon24
07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
any news on progress toward the trading of cards? I, as well as many others I would imagine, am very curious as how far long trading is. 25%? 50%? 75%? This feature, excluding PVE content, is probably the most anticipated in the Hex community at the moment as I personally would love to start trading without the 5% fee attached to it currently.

Gwaer
07-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Ouch, jank cred burn. =P

Poetic
07-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Really like the UI. Can't wait for it to be implemented.

Gwaer
07-25-2014, 06:49 PM
What are you talking about hacky? Don't you remember those wondeful threads that was just reposting this picture over and over?
http://www.hex-datamine.com/img/cards/fb/dTjvCCH.jpg

Covnam
07-25-2014, 06:49 PM
The tournament starts at 11 AM Pacific, but will everyone start playing at that time, or can we come later in the day and still join in?

...I don't think I've realized how creepy Eldritch Dreamer's art actually is until now, and would greatly prefer it to not be on the login screen every time I startup Hex... at least not at that level of detail. I think it was there before, just surrounded by other art so I didn't focus on it.

EDIT: Funny enough, I don't have the same reaction to Eldritch Dreamer the actual card. I guess the ENHANCE on the login screen puts focus where I wouldn't have put focus otherwise. I'll just have to try to imagine a Storm Cloud in its place or something. ;)

Other art I wouldn't mind never seeing again: that bleeding eyes face in a pool of blood Relentless Corruption.

Agreed, great artwork, but I'd rather it not be in my face every time I log in.

fabriazp
07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Any chance of having that cover image in any in game card? REALLY NICE artwork, would love to see it in a card

Lawlschool
07-25-2014, 09:44 PM

Man, I actually miss that art. New RC art is a bit too cartoony for something called "Relentless Corruption." The bleeding face fit the name so much better.

It is hella creepy though.

Edswor
07-25-2014, 11:53 PM
The new UI looks great, and also the better text readability is also a needed change. Did we get an ETA for this patch?

hacky
07-25-2014, 11:56 PM
What are you talking about hacky? Don't you remember those wondeful threads that was just reposting this picture over and over?
http://www.hex-datamine.com/img/cards/fb/dTjvCCH.jpg

http://www.bf4-emblems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BibleThump.jpg

on topic: the rest of the update is awesome

Vorsa
07-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Look forward to the new UI - the current intro screen is rather pixelated.

Eldritch Dreamer is pretty creepy - but he's probably creepier still with extended art!

So the new button order is...
Campaign (coming soon)
Home
Play Now
Tournaments?
Social
Profile (locked)
Card Manager
Store
Auction House
"Hex" - webpage link?

Like the slight fanning of cards in the hand. :)

LNQ
07-26-2014, 01:33 AM
I agree that I'd rather not have the eldritch dreamer on the login screen. That kind of a picture on the login screen each time you start the game is bound to alienate some players. It's not going to deter me, but it won't be something I'll enjoy.

Maybe the new UI is a sign that we're entering open beta soon?

EDIT: Also, AUCTION_HOUSE .. :)

Gwaer
07-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Yea, opening screen should definitely be kismet. That'd draw more people. =) <----

i thought we we wanted to buck the trends of normal f2p and not plaster boobs everywhere. Dreamer is some of the coolest art in the game IMO. I think it's a fantastic start screen.

Kroan
07-26-2014, 02:05 AM
As much as I love any update, I have to say it would be nice to get an update of these things:

- Trading (either mail or person-to-person)
- Dragons Start Deck
- Collector's Card (Can't be that much work to give them out, can it? Art was already done)
- Sealed 128 man
- Plans for Set 2 release, like are we going to have a launch-weekend with special promo's for participating or something

Badger
07-26-2014, 02:26 AM
If that card is on the login screen I'm not actually sure if I'm happy to fire up the client in my home unless I'm the only one there. The art is really well done, but it is so dark and it will not be well received by others in my home.

A physical card image is not a big deal, it sits in a box and I take it to the store to play with but this screen is in my home. I would like to hear if others echo this sentiment, as has already been mentioned by some above.

The game is already so dark, let's lighten it up, just a little.

TimeZero
07-26-2014, 02:33 AM
Instead of generic arts for generic cards on the login screen, I'd rather put something that pulls people in, like Jadiim and Uruunaz. Dragons are always iconic creatures. Jadiim's art could be placed at the left side since he's looking right (toward the middle) and Uruunaz could be placed on the right side since he's looking left (toward the middle).

Another combo of arts could be Ozawa and King Gabriel for the same reasons as the 2 dragons.

Emander
07-26-2014, 02:35 AM
I didn't really mind the old UI, but the new one looks GREAT! Well done.

Chocmaw
07-26-2014, 02:38 AM
If that card is on the login screen I'm not actually sure if I'm happy to fire up the client in my home unless I'm the only one there. The art is really well done, but it is so dark and it will not be well received by others in my home...

This.

Personally, I like the art, but I have a kid at home and family that floats around, so would appreciate a change. Not sure how difficult it is to code, but you've got 2 places on the banner to display art - can it be so that the art changes randomly at 5 second intervals to cycle through all the art in the game?

madar
07-26-2014, 03:11 AM
...I don't think I've realized how creepy Eldritch Dreamer's art actually is until now, and would greatly prefer it to not be on the login screen every time I startup Hex...

+1

Vendrevard
07-26-2014, 03:20 AM
i thought we we wanted to buck the trends of normal f2p and not plaster boobs everywhere. Dreamer is some of the coolest art in the game IMO. I think it's a fantastic start screen.

You don't have to plaster boobs on the cover to make it look nice to the eye. I don't really mind either way, creepy or sexy, but I'm willing to agree that large login screen art could be more neutral for the reasons people mentioned already. Just as you would, probably, be embarrassed if your family member accidentally saw a scantily clad female orc gladiator on your screen, some could have similar sentiments if their children saw a really creepy art that could scare them.

On another topic, I really like how the new UI looks. :)

Ravenclaw
07-26-2014, 04:26 AM
The new UI looks awesome! :)
Very good work, can't wait for it.
The button between the card manager and the AH is maybe something for trading??
And the button with the HEX symbol on it is the store?!
Hope to know it soon. :D
Great Update.

Gwaer
07-26-2014, 04:31 AM
My family all plays cards against humanity together. I'm likely not the best person to address with that. I'd not be embarrassed or concerned for anyone in my family to see any hex art. Kids or adults. But I admit that I'm a pretty terrible example of normal.

CZE_Ty
07-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Don't worry we got you guys covered:

All kidding aside, Dreamer was just a quick choice since we are big fans of Filip Acovic's art around the office. Plans are to have different images fade in and out on this panel and we are playing around with possibly using some of the PVE panoramas in that section depending on how much motion sickness we would like to evoke. ;D

LNQ
07-26-2014, 05:22 AM
I also agree that it's really cool art but I would definitely prefer other family members never seeing that login screen.

I would prefer to have a neutral login screen that doesn't ever fade into art like that.

ManFish
07-26-2014, 05:59 AM
I also agree that it's really cool art but I would definitely prefer other family members never seeing that login screen.

I would prefer to have a neutral login screen that doesn't ever fade into art like that.

Don't want to be rude but thats your problem. If you don't want your family it to see it find a solution yourself (how about you dont let them see it ?). Hex has some really beautiful art and it should stay on the login screen (including Dreamer!).

The UI looks nice, can't wait to try it out.

Warrender
07-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Well thanks, hacky. I just took a quick look at the new UI and thought it was a much better improvement over the old. Until you pointed out the ED art. Now I can't unsee that disturbing image.

Gwaer
07-26-2014, 08:26 AM
It's just an elder thing with a meat puppet so he can communicate on our plne of existence. He's friendly to go through the trouble.

funktion
07-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Pretty excited for a UI polish update, had been hoping for one soon so that's rad.

Gorgol
07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
That UI polish. Hnnngh, can't wait.

Yoss
07-26-2014, 01:01 PM
any news on progress toward the trading of cards? I, as well as many others I would imagine, am very curious as how far long trading is. 25%? 50%? 75%? This feature, excluding PVE content, is probably the most anticipated in the Hex community at the moment as I personally would love to start trading without the 5% fee attached to it currently.

My most anticipated is Asynchronous play and/or ranked ladder. I have no immediate need for trading.

I agree that I'd rather not have the eldritch dreamer on the login screen. That kind of a picture on the login screen each time you start the game is bound to alienate some players. It's not going to deter me, but it won't be something I'll enjoy.

If that card is on the login screen I'm not actually sure if I'm happy to fire up the client in my home unless I'm the only one there. The art is really well done, but it is so dark and it will not be well received by others in my home.

A physical card image is not a big deal, it sits in a box and I take it to the store to play with but this screen is in my home. I would like to hear if others echo this sentiment, as has already been mentioned by some above.

The game is already so dark, let's lighten it up, just a little.

I'd love to see the Set 2 Storm Cloud instead of the Dreamer. Or Uruunaz/Jadiim. Or the AA Princess Victoria! There's so much good art to choose from, there's really no need to use the creepy stuff right on the front page.

Don't want to be rude but thats your problem. If you don't want your family it to see it find a solution yourself (how about you dont let them see it ?). Hex has some really beautiful art and it should stay on the login screen (including Dreamer!).
"Don't want to be rude but [I'm cold, heartless, and selfish. Anyone who has a family is obviously trash and not worth considering.]"

Yeah. I'll join the group wanting more family-friendly login art. (Individual cards in game is fine, just not the front page please.) I really don't need my 3 year old daughter seeing that, and it's not like I live in a mansion where I have my own man cave to hide in so that no one sees the dirty things I'm looking at (if any!). No, my desk is quite available for any family member to view at any time. Storm Cloud is the best art in the game so far; let's use that!

P.S. And a plushie of it too!

Badger
07-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Don't worry we got you guys covered:

All kidding aside, Dreamer was just a quick choice since we are big fans of Filip Acovic's art around the office. Plans are to have different images fade in and out on this panel and we are playing around with possibly using some of the PVE panoramas in that section depending on how much motion sickness we would like to evoke. ;D

This is terrible! The flowers are obviously poppies which are an opiate, used to make Heroin. Are you trying to get my family addicted to drugs! Also, the unicorn is a sign of the occult. And horses are measured in hands... and you know who else has hands..? The devil!!

Mahes
07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
There really is no reason to have disturbing images on the opening screen. This is after all supposed to be a family friendly game. Dragons tend to work just fine for a great example of fantasy. Just a thought, but an option could be added that simply allowed a player to choose from some of the great art work. This way a player could choose between pretty unicorns or the AA Extinction artwork and everyone is happy.

UI looks very clean. I like it. Will this come with two new buttons? It really would be great to have the "Pass til end phase" and " All Attack" buttons.

Gwaer
07-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Sorry can someone direct me to the family friendly portion of the game description. =\ people keep saying it but I don't remember it trying to get context, did they promise a certain esrb rating somewhere or something like that? Some families consider only the lowest ratings family friendly, and I certainly didn't sign up for a game with art pegged for children.

Badger
07-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Sorry can someone direct me to the family friendly portion of the game description. =\ people keep saying it but I don't remember it trying to get context, did they promise a certain esrb rating somewhere or something like that? Some families consider only the lowest ratings family friendly, and I certainly didn't sign up for a game with art pegged for children.

There was no description in any direction. People are allowed to share their impressions.

Bells
07-27-2014, 03:14 AM
There was no description in any direction. People are allowed to share their impressions.

And at absolutely no point whatsoever Gwaer said the opposite of that.

Plus, what he said is actually quite correct. There is no expectations of any ''Target Rating'' for age groups, so saying that it should all be PC and ''Family Friendly'' is quite empty. There was never nothing on the table that could exclude the usage of M rating content. It doesn't have to be gratuitous or forced or blatant. but it certainly not ''out of question''...

ManFish
07-27-2014, 07:31 AM
My most anticipated is Asynchronous play and/or ranked ladder.
"Don't want to be rude but [I'm cold, heartless, and selfish. Anyone who has a family is obviously trash and not worth considering.]"

Well, thank you for calling me heartless , cold, and selfish. A real family guy, aren't you ? :) The second part is complete BS. So, you don't want your kid to see the Dreamer login screen but individual cards are fine ? BS. I'm not gonna cry if they make the login screen "family friendly", but removing it just because someone's child MIGHT see it is ridiculous.

N3rd4Christ
07-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Well, thank you for calling me heartless , cold, and selfish. A real family guy, aren't you ? :) The second part is complete BS. So, you don't want your kid to see the Dreamer login screen but individual cards are fine ? BS. I'm not gonna cry if they make the login screen "family friendly", but removing it just because someone's child MIGHT see it is ridiculous.

You probably don't have kids. While most of us adults are fine with the art it is a bit disturbing for kids.

ManFish
07-27-2014, 08:58 AM
You probably don't have kids. While most of us adults are fine with the art it is a bit disturbing for kids.

No, i don't but i understant that it's disturbing for kids. What i don't understand is how's a different login screen going to change the fact that Hex has a lot of potentially disturbing art ? A child might sneak over your shoulder while you play, there are countless scenarios where a child might see something disturbing in Hex.

N3rd4Christ
07-27-2014, 09:16 AM
No, i don't but i understant that it's disturbing for kids. What i don't understand is how's a different login screen going to change the fact that Hex has a lot of potentially disturbing art ? A child might sneak over your shoulder while you play, there are countless scenarios where a child might see something disturbing in Hex.

Screen real estate. Typical card art takes 3-5% screen real estate. The dreamer is easily taking up 10-15%

hacky
07-27-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm not gonna cry if they make the login screen "family friendly", but removing it just because someone's child MIGHT see it is ridiculous.

You are all completely missing the point that made me bring this subject up.

I don't want to see the Dreamer at that level of detail.
I think the Dreamer is creepy.
I would prefer not to see that art every time I log into Hex. (note that rotating login images solves this problem)

No mention of anyone's kids. No mention of trying to be family friendly. No mention of any other art in the game, whether it has to do with blood, guts, suggestiveness, or whatever. (except old relentless corruption: that is all the NOPE)

If personally not liking a piece of art makes me a child, you can go ahead and take away my "adult" card, because I don't want it. I'll gladly remain a child for the rest of my life.

TL;DR I am an adult that does not like the Eldritch Dreamer art.

Gwaer
07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
No one is disputing your right to like a card or dislike a card, but likewise, people are allowed to comment on others' claiming that this has to be a family game, as well. It doesn't become invalid to discuss just because it's not what you're personally saying.

hacky
07-27-2014, 07:43 PM
No one is disputing your right to like a card or dislike a card, but likewise, people are allowed to comment on others' claiming that this has to be a family game, as well. It doesn't become invalid to discuss just because it's not what you're personally saying.

Where did I dispute anyone's right, myself or otherwise, to like or dislike a piece of art?

People are, as usual, trying to use some combination of "think of the kids" to further their arguments. It's already devolved into the idea of "you are an adult, you should be okay with this kind of art"...which is a load of bull. I'm certainly not the only adult that is creeped out by the graphic portrayal of eldritch horror tentacles gouging out a person's eyeballs out of their sockets.

All I gain, being an adult, is increased ability to tolerate things I don't like. If the login art never changes, I can still accept it... though I don't have to like it.

Don't just "think of the kids", think of the adults too.

Gwaer
07-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Quite simply, the two people you quoted where directly addressing their point to people who said exactly what you aren't saying. You then picked them out of the crowd and said they were missing your point. But they weren't talking about your point. Your excessive bolding made that especially offensive to me, treating those quoted like gibbering morons. They weren't talking about anything you said.

It's fine to be creeped out by the art and not want it. I love the eldritch dreamer art. It's quite clear that the tentacles aren't gouging out anyone's eyes. I can guarantee that the login art will not be the same forever. It will change at least once a set. If not multiple times after special occasions, and honestly shouldn't be an issue worth discussing. We will all prefer some art or another was the splash screen at some time.

hacky
07-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I love the eldritch dreamer art. It's quite clear that the tentacles aren't gouging out anyone's eyes.

I guess we can argue the semantics of "gouging" versus "gouged", but I'll just let the viewer decide. :)

http://i.imgur.com/kwNZAAC.png

I think you are incorrect--the reason why any of us are talking about the Eldritch Dreamer art is because you and I both mentioned it in several posts at the beginning of the thread. I don't think this thread would have gone in this direction had it never been mentioned. So, my mention is possibly responsible for the posts that I have quoted.

The excessive bolding is my way of emphasizing my point: are the arguments to protect "the kids"? Or are they just an excuse to argue?

-----

But back on topic, I'm not angry at anything.

I originally posted about to art more to get the silly reaction - you did post the Relentless Corruption art, after all. And of all the pieces of art in Hex, not liking two out of several hundred is pretty good. There is a wide variety of excellent art of all styles in Hex.

The only concern I had was already addressed. We'll get that variety of art, even on the Set 1 login screen.

nicosharp
07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Regarding the login screen art. It can be changed at anytime quite easily. Hopefully they end up going with an LOL'ish loading screen that is animated if enabled, and cycles art work based on content releases, or updates.

It's funny though, I had the thought yesterday about how creepy the artwork was for Eldritch Dreamer, and it being such a good card. Almost thinking (even though I know 0 lore behind it) that it should be a Blood card.