PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Convention Season

Shaqattaq
08-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi HEXers! Today, we’ll be focusing on a few big things...

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-convention-season/

schild
08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Yet another opportunity for beefed up draft wins. Win a draft during Gencon, get all 3 things (you can only get sleeves once). Seems like a good incentive to spend a metric ton of plat (read: buy more plat).

Just saying.

Yoss
08-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Jovial Pippit looks fun. :)

Yoss
08-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Yet another opportunity for beefed up draft wins. Win a draft during Gencon, get all 3 things (you can only get sleeves once). Seems like a good incentive to spend a metric ton of plat (read: buy more plat).

Just saying.
You're saying this should be the plan? It currently is not.

schild
08-01-2014, 06:09 PM
You're saying this should be the plan? It currently is not.

I am aware.

Digital.

Digital.

Digital.

Pezzle
08-01-2014, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0698sTH7mUk

Redbeastmage
08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Please, please, open more drafts. This is my first gencon, and I'm crushed by the idea I won't get to set2 draft. Had no idea events had pre-reg like that.

Open more drafts. Think of the (Shin'Hare) children.

Pezzle
08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Maybe they will find a way to add more draft sessions, but I would not count on it. Convention space is at a premium and there is a limited window to run drafts. I would look to next year in a hotel ballroom.

Odai
08-02-2014, 01:02 AM

Just saying.

Totaly agree, there is no news from these guys without something to spend money on.

Best part: "For $7, all players will receive 1 free Booster Draft ticket..."
Free Draft for 7$, isnt that awesome?

Vorsa
08-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Jovial Pippit seems a little bonkers; suspect though he is one of those cards that seems like it will be outrageous in theory but is quite balanced in practice.
E.g. The temptation will be to morph cards into things you can play right now (Puck, Wild Root Dancer, etc.), so unless you're drawing bonus cards you might soon end up holding nothing anyway.

Still a great card for 2 though. :D

Totaly agree, there is no news from these guys without something to spend money on.

Best part: "For $7, all players will receive 1 free Booster Draft ticket..."
Free Draft for 7$, isnt that awesome?

Well the $7 is for playing in a SDCC draft, to be 1st to see set 2 cards and for the chance of super-rare loot - having a draft code to take away is a freebie on top.

Shaqattaq
08-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Just so people don't misunderstand, players will be drafting on the LAN through pre-generated accounts, not their own account. The LAN does not reach out to the HEX tournament server. So, you will not keep the cards you draft. That's what the draft ticket is for.

Aradon
08-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Jovial Pippit seems a little bonkers; suspect though he is one of those cards that seems like it will be outrageous in theory but is quite balanced in practice.
E.g. The temptation will be to morph cards into things you can play right now (Puck, Wild Root Dancer, etc.), so unless you're drawing bonus cards you might soon end up holding nothing anyway.

Still a great card for 2 though. :D

His effect is comparable to 'Discard one, draw one' since its practical function will be to exchange a card you don't want for one you might. It's notably worse in that you can get cards that you didn't include in your deck (and very likely will not be of use to you), but at least it looks like you can pitch a resource for a non-resource. All in all, a loot on a 2/1 for 2 isn't too shabby. I'd prefer it not to be double-wild threshold, but what can you do. I'll at least have to give it a try.

Gallowglass
08-03-2014, 07:28 AM
So people who participated in the stress test received bonus constructed queue tickets and a 128-man tournament ticket? Excuse me while I step up on my soapbox, but this camel's back can't bear much more straw.

I'm a busy guy. Married, three young children, and developing my career all leave me with a pretty full schedule. Creating the large blocks of time Hex requires has been challenging; however, I really enjoy constructed play and was very excited for this dev tournament. So I put in the work to take an afternoon off: made a deal with my wife, got the children sorted out in activities and play dates, made sure my work tasks were done well in advance.

When I logged in to join the tournament, I was treated to the spinning blue circle. I slowly made my way through the process of signing up, watching the circle for 60-90 minutes after each step. Then, five minutes after the tournament started, waiting for half an hour after the last step to join the tournament, I got the "this tournament is full" message. I read that another tournament was planned, but by then I couldn't justify spending any more time on this nonsense.

True, it was a stress test, and I logged in early because I was expecting delays. I didn't get delays: I got a mess. And I'm disappointed that it became a colossal waste of my time and energy. Ultimately, the dev tournament/stress test highlighted two things for me.

The first is that, for casual gamers--people with only an hour to play here and there--Hex is terrible. I'm not the best at drafting, and would like to improve my game, but at three to four hours a pop, drafting is too time-intensive for me to develop any skill at it. Waiting for other tournaments to start also requires a lot of patience. I've played a lot of proving grounds matches, but even that has slowed recently, as I realized that I'm building and testing decks for tournaments I never see or get to play in.

Ultimately, the dev tournament is another frustration in a long line of frustrations I've had with Hex. There is so much potential in this game, but I have to admit that it's designed in a way that makes it all but impossible for me to engage with it. Every time I try, it feels like I'm staring at that spinning blue circle, wasting my time.

N3rd4Christ
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
So people who participated in the stress test received bonus constructed queue tickets and a 128-man tournament ticket? Excuse me while I step up on my soapbox, but this camel's back can't bear much more straw.

I'm a busy guy. Married, three young children, and developing my career all leave me with a pretty full schedule. Creating the large blocks of time Hex requires has been challenging; however, I really enjoy constructed play and was very excited for this dev tournament. So I put in the work to take an afternoon off: made a deal with my wife, got the children sorted out in activities and play dates, made sure my work tasks were done well in advance.

When I logged in to join the tournament, I was treated to the spinning blue circle. I slowly made my way through the process of signing up, watching the circle for 60-90 minutes after each step. Then, five minutes after the tournament started, waiting for half an hour after the last step to join the tournament, I got the "this tournament is full" message. I read that another tournament was planned, but by then I couldn't justify spending any more time on this nonsense.

True, it was a stress test, and I logged in early because I was expecting delays. I didn't get delays: I got a mess. And I'm disappointed that it became a colossal waste of my time and energy. Ultimately, the dev tournament/stress test highlighted two things for me.

The first is that, for casual gamers--people with only an hour to play here and there--Hex is terrible. I'm not the best at drafting, and would like to improve my game, but at three to four hours a pop, drafting is too time-intensive for me to develop any skill at it. Waiting for other tournaments to start also requires a lot of patience. I've played a lot of proving grounds matches, but even that has slowed recently, as I realized that I'm building and testing decks for tournaments I never see or get to play in.

Ultimately, the dev tournament is another frustration in a long line of frustrations I've had with Hex. There is so much potential in this game, but I have to admit that it's designed in a way that makes it all but impossible for me to engage with it. Every time I try, it feels like I'm staring at that spinning blue circle, wasting my time.

TL;DR... One word BETA

A few more words... STRESS TEST.... They are intended to see how servers handle the load. If you expect smooth sailing during a stress test you are missing the point.

P.S. CLOSED BETA!

Makizushi
08-03-2014, 11:37 AM
TL;DR... One word BETA

A few more words... STRESS TEST....

P.S. CLOSED BETA!

Also: you just got handed FREE STUFF worth at least $20 because a STRESS TEST in CLOSED BETA failed to go beyond the first babysteps. That's right, the four tokens you just received as "compensation" are worth about $20. And let me add that I had a blast in /general chat and in my guild's Steam chat while all of this was going down. We had fun despite the big tournament crashing, it was exciting.

Putting that aside.

I'm a busy guy. Married, three young children, and developing my career all leave me with a pretty full schedule.

I can relate, honestly. Married, one kid, studying and martial arts next to all of that... And I agree that full-blown tournaments can be a bit of a stretch at three to four hours playtime.

However, I look at it differently: by buying some boosters, or by making a deck and by paying a small fee ($1-5) I get a full evening's worth of entertainment during my weekend! Saturday evening, put the kid to bed, settle down with my wife and I play a tournament from 2100-0030, while she watches a movie or reads. It's marvelous, because I get to learn, I have some fun and I meet new people :)

Gallowglass
08-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Also: you just got handed FREE STUFF worth at least $20 because a STRESS TEST in CLOSED BETA failed to go beyond the first babysteps. That's right, the four tokens you just received as "compensation" are worth about $20. And let me add that I had a blast in /general chat and in my guild's Steam chat while all of this was going down. We had fun despite the big tournament crashing, it was exciting.

Actually, no, I didn't get handed anything for my time. People who waited for hours, got into the tournament, and then had it crash got stuff. People who waited for hours and couldn't get in received nothing. As I mentioned in my comment, it takes quite a bit of effort to create the opportunity for me to participate in events like this. While you're correct in that the value of the tournament tickets were only worth about $20, the effort involved was, to me, worth more than that. Getting nothing stings.

Gallowglass
08-03-2014, 12:14 PM
TL;DR... One word BETA

A few more words... STRESS TEST.... They are intended to see how servers handle the load. If you expect smooth sailing during a stress test you are missing the point.

P.S. CLOSED BETA!

I didn't expect smooth sailing, which is why I logged in early. I didn't expect it to completely crash and burn like it did; I thought Cryptozoic had things more together than that. I also didn't expect people who got in to get compensation, while those of us who weren't lucky enough to get in to get nothing for our time or participation. I thought Cryptozoic was better than that, too.

Makizushi
08-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Let me start this post with the reassurance that I'm not trying to rag on you. I'm not racing to the defense of CZE. Instead, I'm sorry to see you offended and possibly hurt... that's never fun. Hence why I'm trying to clear up a few things...

Actually, no, I didn't get handed anything for my time. People who waited for hours, got into the tournament, and then had it crash got stuff. People who waited for hours and couldn't get in received nothing.

Then you should contact support at http://support.hextcg.com. I did not get into the tourney either and I received compensation. Apparently they missed my name in the list of people who were logged in at the time. You -will- get those four tickets. They offer compensation to everyone who was online at the time, exactly as you expected.

it takes quite a bit of effort to create the opportunity for me to participate in events like this.
Luckily, normal tournaments fire every few minutes to every half hour :)

While you're correct in that the value of the tournament tickets were only worth about $20, the effort involved was, to me, worth more than that.
I think we may be mis-communicating. The huge tournament was free and because it failed CZE are giving you $20 for free to spend at a later point in time.

I didn't expect it to completely crash and burn like it did; I thought Cryptozoic had things more together than that.
This was a stress test. They wanted to see how far beyond the known limits they could push their servers. They already know they can have X simultaneous tournaments running with Y people, without any issues. They now wanted to find the upper limit of ONE (not X) large tournament.

So instead of having 20x tournaments with 8 people at the same time, plus a 128 as well, they now wanted to run 1x with 300+ people... Just to see how the servers would react.

Now with regards to limited time for play and such... If you're interested and looking for a regular play-buddy, I'm available :) I'm in the CET timezone, don't know where you are.

Gwaer
08-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Just to confirm, I didn't get the compensation automatically either, but a quick email to support had me sorted in less than 24 hours.

DuroNL
08-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Well those posters are ficking awesome, to bad its only able to get them on the Gen Con -_-

Europeans want some posters too pls!

Yoss
08-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Gallowglass, please put in a ticket at support.hextcg.com and they'll get you your free stuff. I totally hear you on the "family man" limitations! Asynchronous Tournaments are coming, hopefully soon!

Lawlschool
08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Well those posters are ficking awesome, to bad its only able to get them on the Gen Con -_-

Europeans want some posters too pls!

150 of them will be available for purchase online, so hopefully you guys can snag a few!

N3rd4Christ
08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Putting that aside.

I can relate, honestly. Married, one kid, studying and martial arts next to all of that... And I agree that full-blown tournaments can be a bit of a stretch at three to four hours playtime.

However, I look at it differently: by buying some boosters, or by making a deck and by paying a small fee ($1-5) I get a full evening's worth of entertainment during my weekend! Saturday evening, put the kid to bed, settle down with my wife and I play a tournament from 2100-0030, while she watches a movie or reads. It's marvelous, because I get to learn, I have some fun and I meet new people :)

I work full time, go to school part time, am married and have 3 kids. It's sometimes hard to get a full tourney in without interruption. However the $20 in tickets they gave me just got me around 10 hours of gameplay. Not to mention if I manage any packs out of that it will get me even more playtime. For my 1-2 hour investment of watching a movie while I waited it was worth it.

PS when is stress test round 2?

Chark
08-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Hey Gallowglass,

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with this tournament. It was certainly not our intent to not have people play in the tournament. We were all excited to play against the community as well.

The compensation was not limited to people who successfully signed up for the tournament (but were unable to progress). Our intent was to give out the compensation to anyone online during the tournament time frame (11:00 PST to 1:00 PST). If your account didn't get this compensation, please send in a ticket to support.hextcg.com and we'll get it sorted out.

ossuary
08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I also want to just chime in and say that CZE is planning to offer asynchronous tournaments at some point in the future as well, for just those sorts of people (like me!) who can't block out 3-4 hours at once to play a game, but would still like to play competitively (and hopefully get prizes). It's not available yet, because BETA, but it will be in the future.

Patience, oh angry one. :)

SirGregory
08-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Can we get an update to when and where the posters/hats will be on sale for those of us who come not make Gen Con.