PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Destiny - Tunneling

Shaqattaq
08-14-2014, 11:28 AM
by Dan Clark

Greetings HEXers, and welcome to the Gen Con preview of our brand new mechanic in set 2, Shattered Destiny—Tunneling! Tunneling allows you to build up a hidden force that then surfaces onto the board to surprise your opponent in various ways.

https://hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-tunneling/

Yoss
08-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Shinhare Zombie. :)

Rycajo
08-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Holy Tectonic Megahulk.

Gorgol
08-14-2014, 11:50 AM
OH. MY. GOD. gimme gimme gimme!

YourOpponent
08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah that Tectonic Megahulk looks pretty crazy...and the 2/2 Troop for free as well! I can easily see tunneling going great with extinction or Trial of faith...since the tunneled cards aren't technically "in play"...heck even comet strike with the Megahulk down would be pretty hilarious!

Vengus
08-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Reminds me a bit of trap cards in Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the Fissuresmith. :p

Yoss
08-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Fissuresmith is amazing.

YourOpponent
08-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Reminds me a bit of trap cards in Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the Fissuresmith. :p

And I set this card face down in tunnel mode.

Vengus
08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Fool! You've activated my trap card, Fissuresmith! Now I shall destroy your Zoltog.. Wait what, damnit it selected the Savage Raider.

AswanJaguar
08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Fool! You've activated my trap card, Fissuresmith! Now I shall destroy your Zoltog.. Wait what, damnit it selected the Savage Raider.

The Fissuresmith is smart enough to tunnel under the battlefield, but not smart enough to figure out which set of feet is the one he's supposed to blow up. :)

DanTheMeek
08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Fissuresmith seems a bit too good if I"m being honest, he's a random repel... and then he's a 2/1. All for 2. Card advantage, control, and a decent body for rushing on top of all that. And thats not even mentioning the things being a dwarf can grant you. Oh, and if for some reason you really need him out this turn instead of next, he only costs 2 to play normally as well. I feel like this is going to be a every ruby deck must have in 4s card if it stays as is. the absolute worst it'll ever be is a 2 for 2/1 if your opponent doesn't attack, and thats still really not that bad, especially, again, with the dwarf subtype.

Also, I posted it in the other forum too, but my gosh is Minion of Yazukan amazing, maybe not as brokenly good as fissuresmith, but absolutely fantastic for shin'hare and possibly usable in other decks as well. Sacrifice him to do something? He comes back, but stronger. Your opponent is sick of letting him pound them so they block and kill him? He comes back stronger. Opponent extinctions a whole field of them? They all come back, and stronger then ever. I really feel like this was exactly the type of card shin'hare needed to become a legitimate theme in the meta so I'm beyond excited for it.

Counter
08-14-2014, 02:06 PM
So much fun! And this is a game and should be fun. Thanks for all the work on Set 2 thus far.

AswanJaguar
08-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Fissuresmith seems a bit too good if I"m being honest, he's a random repel... and then he's a 2/1. All for 2. Card advantage, control, and a decent body for rushing on top of all that. And thats not even mentioning the things being a dwarf can grant you. Oh, and if for some reason you really need him out this turn instead of next, he only costs 2 to play normally as well. I feel like this is going to be a every ruby deck must have in 4s card if it stays as is. the absolute worst it'll ever be is a 2 for 2/1 if your opponent doesn't attack, and thats still really not that bad, especially, again, with the dwarf subtype.

I love Fissuresmith, but here are limiting factors to it:

It has Tunneling 1, which means the opponent has to attack on the next turn for him to do his job.
It doesn't affect flying troops.
It's a random effect and is much worse against swarms.

That said, it's a 2 for 1 much of the time, since it will pop out as soon as attackers are declared, killing one and probably blocking another. As a rare, it won't affect Limited nearly as much as Repel does. Great card.

Rycajo
08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Tunneling in dwarves is actually very interesting to me. Typically, dwarves like to swarm the board for max effect. For many cards, the more dwafves and robots one has out on the field, the better. (volcannon, pterobot, construction plans, Megahulk, research librarian, etc)

Seems to me Tunneling will provide an interesting point to consider during deck building and while playing the match.

Also, I'm wondering if the cost to activate tunneling is a cost that can be reduced by conventional methods.

Estar1
08-14-2014, 04:16 PM
so if i have some tunneled creatures and I drop a comet strike my tunneled creatures survive and will come into play as normal?

AswanJaguar
08-14-2014, 04:25 PM
so if i have some tunneled creatures and I drop a comet strike my tunneled creatures survive and will come into play as normal?

That seems to be the case, yes.

Blowfeld
08-15-2014, 01:18 AM
Ok, lets create something big...Lets make a mechanical Hulk!...hm, does not sound impressive enough...ok, let's make it a Megahulk! Much better!!! :D

RCDv57
08-15-2014, 12:06 PM
I really like the minion of Yakuzan. I've been needing a better blood 1 drop.
Bloodbearer is good and all, but it doesn't seem to last very long and doesn't do a very good job at keeping a noticeable field presence.

vickrpg
08-15-2014, 02:33 PM
So.... just to be clear, Tunneling cards cannot be targeted or affected by global effects? That seems... really really good.

Zophie
08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
I lol'd when I saw the player's name in the screenshots. I actually still own a set of Yo! MTV Raps cards from when I was a kid, those were great :)

Rapierian
08-16-2014, 05:53 AM
I find the symbolism of tunneling very confusing. Why does it show as a basic ability? Does that mean you can re-tunnel a card that's already out? And if it's a basic ability, how can you tunnel it from your hand?

If the mechanic is that stuff can be cast underground from your hand (which is what it reads as from the article), and it's not something you can just activate as a Basic ability, then I've got a suggestion for CZE: Remove the "Basic" keyword from the ability to tunnel (unless the creature can tunnel as a basic ability while in play), and replace it with some keyword that means playable from your hand. i.e. Excavation Hulk's ability would not read "Basic:2 -> Tunneling 4", but instead "Played:2 -> Tunneling 4", or whatever keyword you chose instead of "Played". I feel that this would be much less confusing as to when and how you can use the ability on the card.

ossuary
08-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah I'm hoping that will be made more clear before release as well, because it looks like you can send it tunneling any time you want, since it's just listed as a basic action (and usually, you can't use abilities on cards that are in your hand). There needs to be some kind of indicator on it.

Even if it just said:
Basic {RUBY} 2: Tunneling 4. You may only activate this ability when this troop is in your hand.

Or something like that...

MugenMusou
08-16-2014, 01:39 PM
I am certainly one of those who got confused and thought you can indeed retunnel but in which case the fissure dwarve is indeed extremely powerful as we can keep tunneling him every turn.

I agree with above and hope cryptozoic creates some consistent keyword in front like (cast) instead of (basic) to indicate the line followed by can be only used at the timing of card casting.

darkwonders
08-17-2014, 08:31 AM
So.... just to be clear, Tunneling cards cannot be targeted or affected by global effects? That seems... really really good.

They're a tempo loss card against aggro though. If you tunnel a card, you're giving the opponent free turns to attack.

Vengus
08-17-2014, 10:44 AM
They're a tempo loss card against aggro though. If you tunnel a card, you're giving the opponent free turns to attack.
Depends what you tunnel. Fissuresmith will certainly not lose tempo against aggro.

I agree with the rest that it needs to be more clear that tunneling can only be done from the hand. I too assumed at first it could be re-tunneled from the field.

Incindium
08-19-2014, 12:49 PM
So I have a question about tunneling... Does Trial of Faith void tunneled troops along with the rest of your cards?

ossuary
08-19-2014, 04:01 PM
It can't, because they're not in your hand and not in play. Tunneled troops are basically in a new zone, not accessible by any other card as far as we know.

So yeah... suddenly Trial of Faith is a (slightly) less crappy card. ;)

Xenavire
08-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Actually, Trial of faith in shin'hare swarm isn't a bad idea - swarm out in the opening turns, then tunnel 2-3 things with short timers just before you trial.