PDA

View Full Version : Should we do away with sideboarding?

Terikan
08-16-2014, 06:57 PM
I ask this because it just now occurs to me, we should. While on it's face, it seems like sideboarding allows players more flexibility in creation of decks, I'm not sure that's actually the case. Many many theme decks, concept decks, and decks that rely on a small variety of cards, or interesting synergies, stand to lose the most due to sideboard changes.

A deck that is more straightforward, loaded with money cards, is more robust to meta disruption. When they win the first game, sideboarding is much less likely to change the odds of emerging victorious in the match.

Further, I feel like anything that expands the meta game is bad for deck creativity. The larger the meta, the smaller the pool of decks that can survive the crucible of high tier play. The sideboard comprises a large chunk of that. Without the ability to adapt to various decks between rounds, players have to decide how to best deal with all threats in the main deck.

In doing so, they open themselves up to less common vulnerabilities, and these vulnerabilities are an opening for more deck types.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Vorpal
08-16-2014, 07:02 PM
We should not get rid of it. Its needed for draft.

Ebynfel
08-16-2014, 07:04 PM
It's needed in constructed too. More matches are determined i nthe sideboard than anywhere else, imo. Sideboard tech can, and will, turn a terrible g1 matchup into great odds in your favor. If done correctly, and prepared correctly.

Armies
08-16-2014, 07:13 PM
plus you never heard of transformational sideboards where you go from a troopless control deck and board in some powerhouse troops when they side out their removal, sideboard helps you mind game your opponents

jinshiroi
08-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Sideboarding adds more depth to deck building. No matter how great a deck you build, there will always be decks that totally counteracts it. Sideboarding is a way to transform your deck to account for other decks that your deck has bad match up on. Back in my MTG days, I ran a deck thats decent against control decks, but dies to token decks and certain cards. I added cards to improve my chances against the deck that I'm weak against in case I run into them. I also added cards that would counteract cards that my opponent might add to their deck from their sideboard.

Diesbudt
08-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Or I could be totally wrong.

This.

cferejohn
08-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not really down with the idea of making fewer decisions. What to include the sideboard and how to sideboard in certain matches is very interesting. I'm not entirely sure I agree with your premise anyway. If anything I would think that sideboarding would help rogue decks to be able to tweak their decks to attack a number of known metas, whereas tier 1 decks often won't have a good sideboard against strategies that are infrequently seen.

Littlejon24
08-16-2014, 07:29 PM
keep the side board

CriticalFailure
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I think you definitely need to keep the sideboard. It gives you the opportunity to respond to something unexpected from your opponent. You keep some of your less likely to be used cards there that deal with specific things.

If you do away with the sideboard, everyone's deck get diluted. Now you have to maindeck constant removal, artifact removal, anti-mill, anti-swarm, etc, etc, etc.

A deck (normally) can't deal with every potential threat and still have any identity of its own, so you maindeck enough answers for the current meta, and sideboard the answers to less common threats.

Vorpal
08-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Removing side boarding dramatically reduces the variety of cards you will see in top tier decks.

Zomnivore
08-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Side boarding allows for more fine tuned decks, and some flimsy cool decks to be more stable and do better.

Definitely like it.

Voices
08-17-2014, 01:18 AM
I am personally in favour of pretty much anything that increases skill in this game and I believe that the sideboard does just that, so I would not want to remove it.

wolzarg
08-17-2014, 02:23 AM
Removing sideboards makes less decks playable because they can't deal with certain decks and can't survive dilution every match.

Vorpal
08-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Removing sideboarding removes many decision points and completely removes an entire element of mindgamesd.

It fumbs the game down dramatically. Between this and the call to remove switching gems, what is it with people trying to dumb the game down all of a sudden?

DanTheMeek
08-17-2014, 11:52 AM
This is an interesting, thought provoking, suggestion. I think its important that from time to time that we question the things many of us write off as just "part of the game" and ask ourselves, should they really be? Could the game be better with out them or if they were changed/improved?

Having said that... yeah... I like side boards, and pretty much every post above me has explained the reasons why. Its an extra layer of deck building and because both players can do it, adds the mind games where a player might side board against something his opponent has only to find out his opponent sided out the very thing he was trying to counter in anticipation of his own side board (rare but could still happen). Right now the proving grounds is side board free and frankly its kind of annoying because I do feel some decks really need the side board to even have a realistic chance in their bad match ups, so with out a side board those decks are not viable as the moment you run into some one with your bad match up, your knocked out. But again, this has already been mentioned above, just wanted to state, while I don't agree with the removal of side boards, I do appreciate the progressive thinking on a subject many people would probably never even consider thinking about.

mach
08-17-2014, 12:10 PM
I think both sides make good points. I think it would be worth it to try no-sideboard tournaments as an experiment. If sideboards don't make things noticeably better, might as well get rid of them to save time. Or, it might be better to keep them in Constructed but eliminate them for Limited, where they are generally far less significant.

And even if sideboards are a good idea, what makes people think that the current sideboard size is the best possible?

Saeijou
08-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Removing sideboards makes less decks playable because they can't deal with certain decks and can't survive dilution every match.

exactly thats the point!
a sideboard allows to survive sometimes ;)

wolzarg
08-17-2014, 05:10 PM
I think both sides make good points. I think it would be worth it to try no-sideboard tournaments as an experiment. If sideboards don't make things noticeably better, might as well get rid of them to save time. Or, it might be better to keep them in Constructed but eliminate them for Limited, where they are generally far less significant.

And even if sideboards are a good idea, what makes people think that the current sideboard size is the best possible?

Wait what sideboards are less significant in limited? A format where a single card destroys entire decks and has to be picked and sided against its less significant?

ShadowM
08-18-2014, 12:42 AM
I would love if they added a Match feature in proving grounds where you play best out of 3.
That way you would have use for sideboard outside of the tournaments aswell.

Barkam
08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Yeah... Definitely keep the sideboard.

N3rd4Christ
08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Sideboard makes horriblematchus into bearable.... Keep

Warrender
08-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Sideboarding effectively is an additional layer of skill added to this game. Doing away with it would be a mistake IMO.