PDA

View Full Version : DC Deckbuilding Crisis Expansion - Average Game Play Time?

Bomb
08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
What is the average amount of time it takes for everyone to play Crisis Coop Mode? We used the Impossible-Mode super villains.

So far, we have only finished one game(there were only maybe 3 - 5 cards remaining in the main deck) and it was a 3-player game with the rule book suggested number of Crisis cards. I think it took us around 3.5 - 4 hours to beat.

Sure, we may have taken our time on some turns and maybe even dealt with a few minutes here and there for bathroom breaks, but this game mode appeared to take significantly longer to play than competitive mode.

The increase to game play time compared to competitive mode is a major turn-off from starting a game. I've now started two 2 player games that we ultimately decided not to finish.

Also, we are consistently emptying the Weakness stack by mid-game and it's usually caused by either a 1 or 2 different crisis cards or a combination of a crisis card and a Super Villain. This just seems weird to me, especially in a 3+ player game where the crisis effect that has each player reveal the top two cards of the main deck and adds them to play, where the revealing player gains weakness cards equal to the cost of one of those revealed cards. This can result in 1 - 8 weaknesses being given to all players and could empty the Weakness stack just from this interaction on one turn.

Anyways, I am not sure if we are playing incorrectly or are just slow players, but we are just finding the Crisis game mode to just be taking waaaay too long to hold our interest. Perhaps we are playing it incorrectly.

Anyone else share the same game duration sentiments? I understand that the main deck acts as a clock, so perhaps that is something I should have figured from the getgo. Thanks everyone.

AaronH
08-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Only got to play it once so far. Did a three-player game, used the recommended number of SVs and Crisis cards. We lost that game after roughly two hours. We had Aquaman/Batman/Flash. Maybe it was just us, but our abilities didn't seem to synergize all that well. Hopefully next time we'll do better.

homiegfunk03
08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
My SO and I have won 2 2-player games that clocked in around 2.5 to 3 hours. Definitely longer and more involved. First game was Superman and Green Lantern, second game was Batman and Flash. She didn't really enjoy Batman and Flash was a bit of a challenge to activate. Still like it but it's definitely a bit more challenging to get rolling.

lesthn12parsecs
08-20-2014, 11:02 AM
We played a three player game last night with Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman....2-2 1/2 hours and we lost, but it was fun! The Crisis Flash has been amazing...we made sure they gained the most Draw a Card cards and had no problem getting his power to trigger. Cyborg almost let us beat the game...putting kicks and other cards on the bottom of the main deck was a big help and we were about two to three turns away form each one of us beating Crisis Anti-Monitor. Aquaman was a help, especially when I was able to buy Captain Atom and Signature Trenchcoat ( my new favorite card).

Overall, the game has been brutal....but I love it! We always liked the original game and HU, but never liked the heroes attacking each other while trying to take out Super Villains. This new expansion puts the game on the same pace of Legendary and the new Legendary Villains. It now makes much more sense and is a lot of fun, even losing!!!!

DimeDrl
08-20-2014, 09:44 PM
My Crisis set has been used twice. A two player game and a five player game. Both clocked in about three hours. A lot of that time is discussion and planning though. "Card X just came up on the board. Doesn't Superman have Card Y? Leave card X out so Superman can use it with Card Y get [insert effect] to happen."

gerrymul
08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Have played Crisis with Impossible Mode villains with 1 to 5 players. The time and difficulty seems to increase with each additional player. Solo I find far too easy (even keeping Arkham Breakout in play through the whole game and mixing in the 2 additional Crisis cards into the main deck), but still takes 1.5 hours+ to finish. 2 player I have won 2 out of 3 times playing. Play time roughly 2 hours. 3-4 players games are 2.5 to 3.5 hours with only 1 win out of 6 times playing it. No wins with a 5 player, and play time between 3 to 4 hours. A lot of the time your success (or lack thereof) seems highly contingent on what your 2nd or 3rd Crisis is (as well as the 2nd and 3rd Super Villain). If you get something very tough to coordinate or that requires a lot of destruction early in the game it really sets you back and you have virtually no chance of winning. Absolutely love the expansion though.

TPlush
08-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Played it once with 3 people, and we won after 2.5 hours or so. Ran into trouble because we didn't know about Crisis Anti-Monitor. The one player who lost their deck to Collapsing Parallel Worlds took a lot of coordination to beat him since we told them to leave good cards up for everyone else, with only 6 cards left in the main deck. If CPW had come as the last Crisis there would have been no way to win for us. CPW can really cripple the team if it is late game or you don't know how Anti-Monitor works.