PDA

View Full Version : Hail to Kog'Tepetl - what's up with the Arena?

AstaSyneri
08-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi!

Pretty much exactly 15 months ago we learned that the Arena was supposed to be the first chunk of PvE. It's discussion thread would have been here (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23436) (not that there was much discussion going on).

My question to CZE: What of the information published back then is still valid? What are the current plans for the Arena? What kind of content can we expect.

Please note that I am not asking for dates on its arrival! ;-) :P

hammer
08-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Hi!

Pretty much exactly 15 months ago we learned that the Arena was supposed to be the first chunk of PvE. It's discussion thread would have been here (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23436) (not that there was much discussion going on).

My question to CZE: What of the information published back then is still valid? What are the current plans for the Arena? What kind of content can we expect.

Please note that I am not asking for dates on its arrival! ;-) :P

Nice to see you Squirrelling for information and digging up threads as old as the Dinosaurs :p

AstaSyneri
08-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Pah, nuts! It's really not that old, barely 3% of my own age.

Now if you claim that post to be the from the mesozoic era, what does that make me? A paleozoic trilobite? :P

Mahes
08-20-2014, 10:50 AM
I am good with the OP's question. We were shown stuff about content that is probably coming out next year but have heard nothing about content that is supposed to come out before. The Arena is supposed to be the first PvE based experience but nothing about it was shown at Gencon or Gamecon.

So, yeah....What's up with the Arena?

Vorsa
08-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Maybe the Arena simply isn't going to be a dungeon as such and/or resemble what the 2013 article described?

I'm sure that I am not the only person who has thought - once the AI, PvE & equipment are operational - you could just...

> Copy the Proving Grounds AI battle option to a new icon called "The Arena".
> Make a bunch of new decks incorporating PvE cards & equipment (maybe one themed for every champ).
> Allow player choice of PvP champions and mercenaries.
> Add a loot table to the battles (with the booby prize being a pittance of gold).
> Commit to adding new 'combatants' regularly, as new cards are added.

No maps, no fancy graphics, no mechanics, no story telling etc. - just 'wild west' Proving Grounds with a loot table on it.

That would certainly be fine for me as my go-to gaming option until actual dungeons, and surely requires the barest fraction of the effort that true PvE requires.

The only concern is balancing it so that it doesn't compete with actual dungeons (since it would be so quick), but I would expect that could be accomplished simply by having a shallow pool of rewards e.g. 20 PvE cards, just the 224 equipment for the set 1 commons, a few appropriate mercenaries, sleeves, etc.

Slaeer
08-21-2014, 07:18 AM
I'm sure that I am not the only person who has thought - once the AI, PvE & equipment are operational - you could just...

> Copy the Proving Grounds AI battle option to a new icon called "The Arena".
> Make a bunch of new decks incorporating PvE cards & equipment (maybe one themed for every champ).
> Allow player choice of PvP champions and mercenaries.
> Add a loot table to the battles (with the booby prize being a pittance of gold).
> Commit to adding new 'combatants' regularly, as new cards are added.

No maps, no fancy graphics, no mechanics, no story telling etc. - just 'wild west' Proving Grounds with a loot table on it.

But.. But.. then it wouldnt be.. the arena.. they.. promised... *twitch*

Scammanator
08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
But.. But.. then it wouldnt be.. the arena.. they.. promised... *twitch*

I don't think they've specified that "The Arena" that will be our first piece of PvE is necessarily "The Arena of the Mountain God" dungeon. They've been fairly quiet on what "The Arena" actually is. It's possible there are multiple planned Arenas.

Scammanator
08-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah, Loregoyle just posted this:

Rest easy, though, that the upcoming PVE Arena is not the orc arena of the Mountain God. It's a whole new thing with its own back story, which you'll be seeing soon.

thegreybetween
08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for that, Scammanator.

hex_colin
08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
The High Clerics of the Cathedral of Stone and Blood share your concern.

Rest easy, though, that the upcoming PVE Arena is not the orc arena of the Mountain God. It's a whole new thing with its own back story, which you'll be seeing soon.

And awesome art!!! :)

Roy_G
08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks Scammanator.When is soon exactly?

There should have been a warning on Cory's PVE video not to watch it if you don't want to get frustrated about when PVE is released.

Xenavire
08-21-2014, 11:09 AM
And awesome art!!! :)

Tsk! Can you at least semi-confirm but not confirm some of the things I have mentioned? I swear it was posted here on the forums but I can't find it... (Specifically that the games are souped up AI fights, possibly with special rules, chosen at random, with hidden bosses, and loot included.)

(Can't say no to awesome art. I cannot resist awesome art dammit!)

hex_colin
08-21-2014, 11:15 AM
(Specifically that the games are souped up AI fights, possibly with special rules, chosen at random, with hidden bosses, and loot included.)

That's a pretty good summation of what we've been told thus far. :)

Scammanator
08-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Good art, upgraded AI, some degree of random variation, and loot. That's all I need to keep me busy for a good long while.

Xenavire
08-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Finally! I thought I was going crazy. :p

By the way, when did you add that quote to your sig? It looks like a certain vanity card might have appropriate flavour text... :D

Yoss
08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Specifically that the games are souped up AI fights, possibly with special rules, chosen at random, with hidden bosses, and loot included.

Looking forward to it! :D :D :D

Lafoote
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
"Soon..."

Vegvisir
08-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Well we know one of the "Arena's" will be Feralroot Fighting Field. That'll be the Squirrels VS Dinosaurs, I'm pretty sure.

Source: "Hulking monsters are pitted against each other in savage skirmishes in the Feralroot Fighting Field" - Gigantisaur flavour text

Scammanator
08-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Well we know one of the "Arena's" will be Feralroot Fighting Field. That'll be the Squirrels VS Dinosaurs, I'm pretty sure.

Source: "Hulking monsters are pitted against each other in savage skirmishes in the Feralroot Fighting Field" - Gigantisaur flavour text

Oooh, good catch on the name there. I'd missed that one.

I asked HexRex in chat several months back if "The Arena" was the Squirrels vs. Dinosaurs dungeon, and he said "I don't think so."

Rex may have been mistaken, but I will assume him to be an expert on all things saurian until proven otherwise.

Although I honestly think the squirrels vs. dinosaur Feralroot Fighting Field would be a great first dungeon, as there would be a much more limited set of cards, champions, and equipment that would need scripting in comparison to most dungeons. It probably still requires some pretty complex UI, though, so maybe it's not the best choice after all.

Rokku
08-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Highly doubt it as they would most likely want to test equipment mechanics not just another set of cards.

Vorsa
08-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Cross posting an employee post (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37634&p=403468#post403468) from the lore forum, for those who missed it yesterday (I certainly did!):

The High Clerics of the Cathedral of Stone and Blood share your concern.

Well that puts to rest any confusion concerning the arena being the orc dungeon discussed last year. :)

Slaeer
08-22-2014, 04:58 AM
Guess you missed post 8.... but thanks anyways :)

AstaSyneri
08-24-2014, 01:41 PM
So, it's upcoming, it's not related to the orc arena of the Mountain god. We'll be seeing it soon.

How soon? I don't necessarily need dates for ingame, but why not spoil a little bit more here. It's not like we have been spoiled with PvE spoilers...