PDA

View Full Version : Weeklies

dogmod
08-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Anyone?

Slaeer
08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
imo it's better than dailies. Some of us can only log in 1-2 days out of the week.

dogmod
08-20-2014, 06:14 PM
I was a bit tongue in cheek but I feel that something like this or a daily "queue" that can hold up to a weeks worth of quests would be great. I think HEX is an amazing game. I also think that it needs to start being a more profitable game so we can continue to enjoy it for a long time and I am personally okay with instituting some of the strategies that have made other games successful.

I think weeklies, or a toned down version of the daily quest system such as allowing a week long queue of daily quests is something that can help the game without overtaxing people neurosis for completion/missing out.

plaguedealer
08-20-2014, 06:16 PM
gives the ftp people something to do

Roy_G
08-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Weekly is the same as daily.People should play because it's fun.Not because not wanting to lose another bonus if they miss out on a weekly/daily/hourly/whatever.All this stuff makes playing a chore.

Zophie
08-20-2014, 08:39 PM
And we were just starting to make some progress in the other thread... did we really need to start another one?

Weekly is the same as daily.People should play because it's fun.Not because not wanting to lose another bonus if they miss out on a weekly/daily/hourly/whatever.All this stuff makes playing a chore.

If I don't play at all I miss out on rewards from PVE or drafting or whatever I'm not doing anyway, regardless of the existence of dailies/weeklies in the game, so why should I feel bad for not doing dailies/weeklies? You know the core reason for these types of objectives were originally to give players a bonus for logging in and doing stuff, but limiting them so they couldn't grind the hell out of it and get better rewards just because they had more time on their hands than the average player. In WoW, originally, they were used as a way to give big gold rewards out to players bored with other content, but cut them off at a certain point so they didn't have to feel like they needed to keep playing constantly to get as much gold as the more dedicated farmers. This eventually turned into a reputation system which was required for progression unlocks and it sucked, but Hex doesn't need to do that. Hex can just use it as a way to give people a bump in rewards just for logging in regularly, on a daily or weekly basis, or whatever. Or as in the other thread we said we can think of other ways to incentivize players to try different activities without making them daily/weekly, such as rewards attached to achievements.

As far as weeklies specifically, if we did have them, I would think they would be better suited for larger goals like clearing your first dungeon/raid for the week, or participating in your first draft for the week, stuff like that.

syphonhail
08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Yearlies?

Zophie
08-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Yearlies?

We already got our Yearly:

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/HappyBirthdayHEX.jpg

(I hope this is a yearly thing :))

magic_gazz
08-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Weekly Special tournaments I would be down for. Different format each week on a rotating schedule.

I would even be happy with a weekly God Mode tournament where everyone who joins has access to the entire card pool just for that event. This would allow people to try different decks without spending any money, there would have to be a fee though.

Slaeer
08-21-2014, 12:53 AM
If I don't play at all I miss out on rewards from PVE or drafting or whatever I'm not doing anyway...

But you're not, because those dungeons or quests or drafts will always be there no matter if it's Monday or Wednesday or if you play 1 day a week or 10. Instead of me running one dungeon a day for five days in a row, I can instead run five dungeons in one day and still have the same efficiency.

Wouldn't you rather create your own work schedule instead of having to come in for 8 hours a day 5 days a week? And yes, games are a job. It might be a job that you love to do, but it's still like a job. You get on and do things for currency, then use that currency to buy stuff you want... sound familiar? :)

And as mentioned in the other thread that is exactly like this one, the hearthstone style system helps alleviate that a bit, but still limits you to what 3 quests stacked up?

RanaDunes
08-21-2014, 01:09 AM
I am against any event that gives rewards by repeating ONLY a few times every X period of time. (Whether it's per hour, per day or even per week).

Let the rewards be there all the time and it's up to us to collect them (any time we want).
Why limit rewards for a weekly/daily activity? WHY?
To artificially make people play your game regularly and to give an illusion of game "content".

No, thank you.

Lazy and Stupid game design.
I sure hope CZE doesn't adapt this retarded idea.

bootlace
08-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Here's an idea to get people to log-in/play. Everyday that you log in, the chance of a primal pack dropping on your next pack open increases by x% until you actually open a primal or the week ends at which point the % resets to default. (can alternatively be used in increasing % chance of stuff dropping in wheels of fate).

Roy_G
08-21-2014, 01:45 AM
If you don't play drafting or PVE you don't have to miss anything.You can use the ah or trades to get what you want for what you have.Giving PVP rewards to PVE or the PVE rewards to PVE will seperate the two economies.

I don't want arbitary schedule forced on me on how to play.If I want to play PVE or PVP I will play because I choose to and enjoy it,
not because I don't want to miss something.

Saeijou
08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
I would even be happy with a weekly God Mode tournament where everyone who joins has access to the entire card pool just for that event. This would allow people to try different decks without spending any money, there would have to be a fee though.

The God Mode event sounds amazing! You should open an own thread for that idea... i would support it! :)

DocX
08-21-2014, 11:08 AM
My weekly is logging in for my Pro Player draft. My daily will (eventually) be to log in and tend my Spectral Lotus Gardens.

Turtlewing
08-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Weakly quests would be less bad than dailies, however they still have the same basic problem (that the game is dictating how you have to allocate your time or fall behind those who more closely match the artificial optimal choice).

The only difference is the scale is weekly instead of daily.

So much like someone who misses a day can't make up for it by doubling up the next day, someone who misses a week can't do double time the week after to catch up.

Xenavire
08-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Weakly quests would be less bad than dailies, however they still have the same basic problem (that the game is dictating how you have to allocate your time or fall behind those who more closely match the artificial optimal choice).

The only difference is the scale is weekly instead of daily.

So much like someone who misses a day can't make up for it by doubling up the next day, someone who misses a week can't do double time the week after to catch up.

Honestly, I don't think making time once a week is unreasonable for the majority of players. A few pro tier players may disagree with me, but missing one week out of 52 is less harmful than missing 10 days out of 365 (assuming the rewards scale perfectly.)

The_Lannisters
08-21-2014, 11:42 AM
I hope people log in because they enjoy the game and want to actually play it, be that PVP, PVE or both. Daily schemes give me the creeps, whether they are daily or weekly.

Pezzle
08-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Weekly quests are just as bad as daily quests. You do not need them. They do not help you. Stop thinking like the MMO world has obviously taught you to think. There is no advantage for players in this type of quest over being able to complete activities at your leisure. If you think there is, it is an illusion.

Svenn
08-21-2014, 12:47 PM
If I don't play at all I miss out on rewards from PVE or drafting or whatever I'm not doing anyway, regardless of the existence of dailies/weeklies in the game, so why should I feel bad for not doing dailies/weeklies?
Time gating. That's why someone would feel bad. I didn't log on and do a tournament today? So what, I can do that any time. I didn't log on to do dailies today? Crap, I'm behind now and I can never get that back. Doesn't matter if it's a small reward or whatever. Now, as someone who doesn't like falling behind/not completing things I feel obligated to log in and do my dailies, even if I don't have a lot of time or I would rather do something else today because if I don't then I fell behind. Then I start to resent the game for making me have to make that choice. This has happened to me (and several people I know) in every single game with dailies ever. Same thing with time gating things in other ways, such as the crafting materials you can only craft every 20 hours or whatever in GW2. When they implemented that I quit the game, and that was after nearly 2 years of (mostly) loving the game.

You know the core reason for these types of objectives were originally to give players a bonus for logging in and doing stuff, but limiting them so they couldn't grind the hell out of it and get better rewards just because they had more time on their hands than the average player. In WoW, originally, they were used as a way to give big gold rewards out to players bored with other content, but cut them off at a certain point so they didn't have to feel like they needed to keep playing constantly to get as much gold as the more dedicated farmers. This eventually turned into a reputation system which was required for progression unlocks and it sucked, but Hex doesn't need to do that. Hex can just use it as a way to give people a bump in rewards just for logging in regularly, on a daily or weekly basis, or whatever. Or as in the other thread we said we can think of other ways to incentivize players to try different activities without making them daily/weekly, such as rewards attached to achievements.

As far as weeklies specifically, if we did have them, I would think they would be better suited for larger goals like clearing your first dungeon/raid for the week, or participating in your first draft for the week, stuff like that.
If you want to have incentives for people to try different parts of the game you don't need to tie it to a time gated system. As you mentioned, an achievement system accomplishes that same goal without resorting to something time based. Let people play when they want and how they want, though. Trying to force them in certain directions or certain times will only lead to resentment.

Slaeer
08-21-2014, 04:30 PM
an achievement system accomplishes that same goal without resorting to something time based. Let people play when they want and how they want, though. Trying to force them in certain directions or certain times will only lead to resentment.

It's almost like... you're in my head.. reading my thoughts........... creeper.

Skirovik
08-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Lol, we already have weeklies with the weekly draft tickets. I'm not sure we need more.

In regards to dailies, we'll have those spectral gardens, as DocX mentioned, so I don't think we need more of those either. :p

Oli
08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I didn't log on to do dailies today? Crap, I'm behind now and I can never get that back. Doesn't matter if it's a small reward or whatever. Now, as someone who doesn't like falling behind/not completing things I feel obligated to log in and do my dailies, even if I don't have a lot of time or I would rather do something else today because if I don't then I fell behind. Then I start to resent the game for making me have to make that choice. This has happened to me (and several people I know) in every single game with dailies ever.

That was one of the reasons I left MMDoC. If you play regularly all is fine and good, but once you miss your first daily you feel cheated for missing out. After my first miss I felt so bad I regularly opend the program to earn my reward, but a lot of fun was gone, so I didn't play that much anymore. After a few weeks I realized how stupid the daily login without playing is and stopped altogether. I think they did some changes to the system some time ago, but I still do not play again.
I bought their in game currency for about $200 over 6 month, but left, because I felt cheated for missing out on about $0.20. This is such a small amount of money, but the negative feelings about missing this reward are really irrationally strong.

KingGabriel
08-24-2014, 10:07 PM
I really don't think this warrants a second thread, especially seeing as your "introduction" requires the context of the previous one - as there is no introduction.