PDA

View Full Version : [Giveaway] Two Keys Hidden

Kami
08-26-2014, 07:41 AM
So here we are again with another puzzle for you, much easier this time around. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Giveaway/Keys.png

One of these keys is for access to the Closed Beta. The other key is redeemable in the in-game store.

Have fun and good luck!

Edit: Just a reminder to post that you claimed a key if you have solved it and used it.

KingGabriel
08-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Is that a Stargate chevron? Also, I tried redeeming the code from this puzzle, it said 42 was too short a code ;p

LeMazing
08-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Gah, not at home to try out one of the codes. Maybe this will go unsolved til 5pm EST. :P

KingGabriel
08-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Gah, not at home to try out one of the codes. Maybe this will go unsolved til 5pm EST. :P No no, i'm just stalling for time till i can get wrenlock, my adviser, to tell me the answer. Quick! Look over there!

LeMazing
08-26-2014, 08:10 AM
No no, i'm just stalling for time till i can get wrenlock, my adviser, to tell me the answer. Quick! Look over there! haha, you've got 6 hours!

And it was a bust. I misread something so it's back to the drawing board.

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 08:16 AM
I've figured out all but a few characters here... but I'm not home either to test out (at work, and then hitting the gym immediately after work, so I won't be home till 7pm).

I'll keep tabs on this and maybe it won't be solved! =)

KingGabriel
08-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I hear if you move your head a bit back from the screen, the true code will be revealed: "I-am-really-gullible" :)

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 08:24 AM
I hear if you move your head a bit back from the screen, the true code will be revealed: "I-am-really-gullible" :)
I dunno... what I have seems pretty credible. I won't give up that easily, KingGabriel! :p

LeMazing
08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

I don't think it's working!

KingGabriel
08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Zoom in, rotate 90 degrees and enhance! Now look at the reflection!

LeMazing
08-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Zoom in, rotate 90 degrees and enhance! Now look at the reflection! Perfect! I've found the suspect's old yearbook photo in the reflection of the box-like character on the third row!

Labatyd
08-26-2014, 10:05 AM
would be nice to know what form these keys actually use. E.g. xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. Currently i have no clue what to look for and how many digits there are ^^

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Ugh... I've solved all but seven characters. Can't throw in the towel yet, but this is at the very least a good brain exercise - I've already learned something new. :)

Blowfeld
08-26-2014, 10:16 AM
same 7 characters here ;)

LeMazing
08-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Yup, can't seem to find out what alphabet those 7 belong to.

Blowfeld
08-26-2014, 10:44 AM
I have reached the point where my brain starts to seriously ache from watching tiny symbols at my monitor

KingGabriel
08-26-2014, 11:10 AM
If you stare at them long enough, they'll move around and form the code.

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Welp, I'm packing this up and holding off on further digging until after work. If it's solved before I get home, I hope the poster can share what the final language was! :confused:

Labatyd
08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Wow this is weird. Just while trying to solve this puzzle i received a beta key by e-mail :D thx @ fortune or the generous person who sent it to me. For anyone still working on the puzzle: the beta key has this format: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx . letters and numbers mixed

Blowfeld
08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
3 hours of my life wasted... :D

Kami
08-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Formats:

Beta Key: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Gift Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nobody has solved either yet as far as I'm aware.

Zophie
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
edit: nm I think I'm starting to figure it out, made a major breakthrough just now

Thrawn
08-26-2014, 01:00 PM
At this point I could make a really long list of languages those 7 mystery characters are NOT, but that's about it.

Zophie
08-26-2014, 01:16 PM
At this point I could make a really long list of languages those 7 mystery characters are NOT, but that's about it.

Hehe, I'm stuck on the same 7 symbols I think, this is a good one :)

Thrawn
08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Hehe, I'm stuck on the same 7 symbols I think, this is a good one :)

I'm guessing almost everyone one is. But I'm also guessing any hint as to what they are would result in the first person to check the thread after that figuring it out quickly.

Zophie
08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing almost everyone one is. But I'm also guessing any hint as to what they are would result in the first person to check the thread after that figuring it out quickly.

What's really killin me is I swear I think I've seen those symbols before... but I can't quite place them. I got a feeling I'm gonna kick myself hard when someone finally sorts it out.

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 02:07 PM

What's really killin me is I swear I think I've seen those symbols before... but I can't quite place them. I got a feeling I'm gonna kick myself hard when someone finally sorts it out.
Okay, I must admit, I HAVE been digging all over the place for answers, despite my saying I'd put this aside - I definitely am pausing now, though!

I showed the remaining symbols to a few of my co-workers, though they weren't able to uncover anything new. It's quite the challenge! Some of the symbols DO seem familiar, but nothing's matched up in a way that would draw definitive correlations.

I'll raise a glass to whoever does solve this.

Kami
08-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm surprised nobody's tried solving for the other key yet.

Zophie
08-26-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised nobody's tried solving for the other key yet.

I was under the impression that both keys were contained within the same image, in which case we've been attempting to solve both keys simultaneously. Is there a second image file or clue somewhere we're not seeing?

hammer
08-26-2014, 03:10 PM
I know the source of the 7 you all miss but I don't need a beta key

Aquanius
08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
I know the source of the 7 you all miss but I don't need a beta key

Feel the hate :). Nah just kidding.

hammer
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Actually its not the beta key its the 26 letter code for in client now to work out the "easier" bit

Aquanius
08-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok, I am confused, where is there one for the beta key? I see the 26 letters/numbers, but I am really looking for a beta key for this game and I know those are 16 entries, correct?

Zophie
08-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok, I am confused, where is there one for the beta key? I see the 26 letters/numbers, but I am really looking for a beta key for this game and I know those are 16 entries, correct?

Edit: I don't know this is confusing, I'm thinking there is an image missing

Xenavire
08-26-2014, 03:47 PM
So does that mean its been redeemed, or not?

Aquanius
08-26-2014, 03:50 PM
The one image I can see contains 16 characters for a beta key as far as I can tell, but I can not see any second image with the 24 characters needed for the store code... Either something is missing in the OP, or the 7 symbols I haven't been able to translate represent 21 total characters, average of 3 characters for each symbol.

What I see on the front page is a 5x5 grid. This gives a total of 25 items that are each individual letters/numbers, except the last character actually counts as two because of the language it is representative of.

I might be crazy though...

Zophie
08-26-2014, 03:54 PM
What I see on the front page is a 5x5 grid. This gives a total of 25 items that are each individual letters/numbers, except the last character actually counts as two because of the language it is representative of.

I might be crazy though...

No you're right, I'm sorry I worded that last post wrong and had it backwards. I was just basically trying to explain that if that one image is the only image then that would mean those 7 symbols must represent a large number of characters to compensate for both codes, but I think it might just be a matter of a missing image :/

Aquanius
08-26-2014, 03:58 PM
No you're right, I'm sorry I worded that last post wrong and had it backwards. I was just basically trying to explain that if that one image is the only image then that would mean those 7 symbols must represent a large number of characters to compensate for both codes, but I think it might just be a matter of a missing image :/

That is what I was thinking. I was wondering how I was going to get 42 characters from that lol.
I even checked the source on the page to make sure there wasn't a hidden image :)

Dareksar
08-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Bah, I've spent like one and half hours trying to solve this, desperate for a beta key and now you are telling me its likely that I've been solving a wrong picture? :C I'm off to bed, good luck trying. I also couldn't get seven of those even though I had a few ideas. Now I don't even know where to look for them.

thegreybetween
08-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm also squarely in the all-but-7 camp. And I agree that there is no obvious sign of the 16-digit puzzle.

tolroe
08-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Two hours on 7 characters, I'm throwing in the towel.

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
What is it you guys are stuck on? Don't get me wrong its not like i got it all or i would have just solved it but it seems a waste not to work together instead of giving up.

Xenavire
08-26-2014, 07:06 PM
7 specific characters. The rest are quite easy (me and my friends figured them out in about 10 minutes) but the other 7? 3 hours. I dragged my mother into it, and she is a bit of an expert in these sorts of things, still nothing. If Kami didn't mess something up by mistake, my hat goes off to him, because this has beaten me at this point.

AswanJaguar
08-26-2014, 07:31 PM
What is it you guys are stuck on? Don't get me wrong its not like i got it all or i would have just solved it but it seems a waste not to work together instead of giving up.

The characters that are giving us a problem are the slender Nordic-looking runes with the diamonds in them (and one with a wavy line at the bottom.) They are proving elusive to track down.

SilentMage
08-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Alright... I'm completely spent on the remaining characters... Assuming the Mysterious Seven characters are not flukes, I honestly have no idea what they could be, or what language they could be from. I, too, asked around, and got some interesting ideas, but none of them panned out, or sent me in a direction I already tried. Excellent job on stumping me, Kami... congrats. :D

I really do hope someone can solve this - I'm trying to be optimistic here!

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Its doing my head in because i know i have seen them before....

Freebird_Falcon
08-26-2014, 08:23 PM
I tried various theme association based on the other two for possible solutions but came up empty. Checked some symbology from a few video game titles and nada. Was hoping maybe they were brushwork from Okami.

I did find some other information but I don't know if it's valid and redeemed and/or whether it applies at all, but everything I entered was invalid.

Baldo
08-26-2014, 09:00 PM
I found something similar to the skinny characters, though there doesn't seem to be an exact corollary to to all of the characters in the puzzle:
http://foesofreality.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AlphaNumerals-post.bmp
http://foesofreality.com/worldbuilding-and-adhd-where-epic-fantasy-meets-look-squirrel/

Hope this is helpful and note just another dead end!

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Its clearly close to that one but also definitely not the one and it definitely looks like a hybrid language of some sort.

Dinotropia
08-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Hey everyone :D I was messing around with the symbols myself but also came away stumped. However, I thought I would share some of the tools from my lingofile days to help those who are still on the chase:

http://www.omniglot.com/index.htm

It is a fantastic resource for looking up different language/writing systems. I don't have the time to do it myself, but some enterprising person might find some useful stuff there.

Also, some of those symbols look like mayan numbers to me.

Cheers!

hex_colin
08-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Hey everyone :D I was messing around with the symbols myself but also came away stumped. However, I thought I would share some of the tools from my lingofile days to help those who are still on the chase:

It is a fantastic resource for looking up different language/writing systems. I don't have the time to do it myself, but some enterprising person might find some useful stuff there.

Cheers!

Yeah, I went there right away. I'm hundreds of clicks in though - no joy...

AswanJaguar
08-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Cheers!

Feel free to peruse the site but I've gone through all of the fictitious alphabets and none of them are a match.

Renakh
08-26-2014, 09:38 PM
I have two of the three but the one with the diamonds is impossible >.<

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 09:38 PM
The last one is a real ball buster. There are plenty of languages that have some similarity but not enough to draw a decent conclusion.

hex_colin
08-26-2014, 09:48 PM
The last one is a real ball buster. There are plenty of languages that have some similarity but not enough to draw a decent conclusion.

Yeah, this is the closest I'm come to it...

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 10:04 PM
The thing that puzzles me most is since he is surprised we haven't figured it out it should be at least somewhat well known.

Aquanius
08-26-2014, 10:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the dwarven runes. I just have this feeling that is has something to do with Tolkien, but I am at a loss as to what it could be. We also seem to be missing the 16 character one... so confused about that one.

Freebird_Falcon
08-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I cut each symbol into it's own image and image search returned nothing resembling them. I've tried interpreting constellations (star theme). I'm still clueless. Watch it be something really simple!

wolzarg
08-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Necrotic!

Zophie
08-26-2014, 10:38 PM
I think my brain has melted from the hundreds of real and fake alphabets I've been pouring over all day. My google-fu has failed me, time to call it a night.

erianta
08-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Just redeemed the 26-character in-game code. Only took about 5 hours, but I enjoy a good puzzle. I'm still not sure where the beta code is. Thanks for the fun, Kami!

AswanJaguar
08-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Congrats erianta. I'm sure the rest of us would love to know the mystery language we were missing.

erianta
08-26-2014, 11:07 PM
I'd be happy to share. Spoilers here (http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/File:Albion_Runes.jpg).

AswanJaguar
08-26-2014, 11:10 PM
I'd be happy to share. Spoilers here (http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/File:Albion_Runes.jpg).

Thanks. Google, you kinda suck.

Darion
08-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Hmm, I found a first clue to the beta key. I will continue looking for it, though I won't need it as I am already in.

Darion
08-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Ok got it. After the first idea it is easy. But I have not tried to redeem it, nor will I.

Nice one, Kami!

Skirovik
08-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Just redeemed the 26-character in-game code. Only took about 5 hours, but I enjoy a good puzzle. I'm still not sure where the beta code is. Thanks for the fun, Kami!

Congrats!

Care to share what the code was for? :p

fuzzywuzhe
08-26-2014, 11:41 PM
awesome puzzle :D had me stumped for a while

KingGabriel
08-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Huh? The keys contained nothing, the real treasure was inside you all along...

Kami
08-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Grats erianta!

Now to see who else can figure out the last key and redeem it. Yes, we know you solved it Darion. :)

Edit: Also, the key that erianta should have redeemed is actually 25 characters. Not 26.

As for those curious as to what was redeemed, it was a draft ticket and three boosters.

Additional tip for future reference: http://images.google.com/ is your friend. The trick is knowing what keyword(s) to search for.

Zophie
08-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Grats erianta!

Now to see who else can figure out the last key and redeem it. Yes, we know you solved it Darion. :)

Edit: Also, the key that erianta should have redeemed is actually 25 characters. Not 26.

As for those curious as to what was redeemed, it was a draft ticket and three boosters.

Additional tip for future reference: http://images.google.com/ is your friend. The trick is knowing what keyword(s) to search for.

Edit: I can see clearly now! :)

SilentMage
08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
The "keyword(s)" part cannot be stressed enough - I heavily relied on images.google.com (as most here probably have) but still did not make headway on the last seven characters after several hours. But if you don't know what keywords to use in conjunction with the image, you'll be in the dark.

Kami
08-27-2014, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I thought the beta key would've been solved first given that I used the same trick a few times in the past already.

Zophie
08-27-2014, 06:10 PM
doh, i found the first code, it's funny i saw it before when figuring out the second one, but didnt recognize it at first, good one

edit: i wont be redeeming this so anyone else that needs a beta key can still keep searching

FlyingMeatchip
08-27-2014, 06:31 PM
was all gibberish to me.

Kami
08-28-2014, 06:16 AM
So the beta key is still up for grabs.

Last hint: It's inside the image.

WhattayaBrian
08-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Claimed. :)

I was thrown off initially by thinking that the d's stood for dashes, which is only half right.

Kami
08-28-2014, 08:24 PM

I was thrown off initially by thinking that the d's stood for dashes, which is only half right.

Grats!

AswanJaguar
08-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Still got no clue how the beta key was involved with the picture.

Gwaer
08-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Had to open it up in notepad, and scroll to the bottom, the code was hidden in text inside the image. Kami likes that particular technique. All of his puzzles have been amazing. Kudos to kami, and the winners.

FreezingRain
08-29-2014, 12:46 AM

Congrats.

FreezingRain
08-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Had to open it up in notepad, and scroll to the bottom, the code was hidden in text inside the image. Kami likes that particular technique. All of his puzzles have been amazing. Kudos to kami, and the winners.

Belive it or not i did that but still managed to miss the code, my thinking was the op might have put the code in there but not on purpose, so i suppose i did not deserve it really anyway ;)

Kami
08-29-2014, 06:18 AM

Well, I did say this was the easiest puzzle I've created thus far. Like I said earlier, I'm surprised it wasn't the first key solved. The only twist was that I made it 'encrypted' in HEX for the beta key (see what I did there?).

I was actually expecting the beta key to be solved first and then the gift key. ^^;

mach
08-29-2014, 06:21 AM
I was actually expecting the beta key to be solved first and then the gift key. ^^;

Most people here already have beta access and so had no reason to try for the beta key.

LeMazing
08-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Laaaame. I looked at it in Notepad but didn't realize it was in hex. Congrats to the people that got keys though!